Any plans for X4 or an X-Universe MMORPG?

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Which would you prefer?

X4 (an entirely new, single player game)!
62%
X-Universe (a massively multiplayer online role-playing game)!
6%
I can't decide (both would be equally exciting)!
18%
Neither (not interested in either option)...
14%

Total votes: 50

SirDeity
x3tc

Any plans for X4 or an X-Universe MMORPG?

Post by SirDeity » Sun, 31. Oct 10, 05:30

Does anyone know if there are plans for an X4 or X-Universe MMORPG? If so, is development already underway?

Scarecrow
x4

Post by Scarecrow » Sun, 31. Oct 10, 05:40

If you do a quick search you will probably find around 100 topics about this.

To summerize:

1) No

2) No

Catra

Post by Catra » Sun, 31. Oct 10, 05:50

dear egosoft:

[ external image ]

the beatings WILL continue untill we get multiplayer.

SirDeity
x3tc

Post by SirDeity » Sun, 31. Oct 10, 06:24

I should have added an X4 with coop option. I would actually prefer this over any of the other options.

AgamemnonArgon
x3tc

Post by AgamemnonArgon » Sun, 31. Oct 10, 09:57

I voted for both.
Ideally, I would like to play online, but I think of costs, and also whether or not a single trader would have to form into groups, and then it perhaps becomes largest group survives, and, or, controls the entire universe. Not looking to pay for that.
Single game is also an interesting option.
:)
Argon Patriot and Battlemaster
Peace - Through Superior Firepower

Arcturas
x4

Post by Arcturas » Sun, 31. Oct 10, 11:06

This question is getting staggeringly old :evil:
The Gobs of Bog will consume you all.

Nyax
x3tc

Post by Nyax » Sun, 31. Oct 10, 12:26

This is a question that has been asked, many,many,many,many times. To slightly expand on Scarecrows post and sumerize the results of the last 5-10 years of threads on this subject-

1) No official announcement has been made as to Egosofts next proect however as X3TC was described as the conclusion to the X trilogy (or something very similar) then it is widely believed to NOT be an X game. Indirect comments made by various egosoft employees appear to confirm this, but again no official statement has been made.

2) Inumerable Polls have been held over the years regarding a multiplayer/ MMORPG version of X and every single one of them has indicated that the majority of fans do NOT want a MMORPG version of X and are not much happier with the idea of basic Multiplayer functionality either since this would direct significant amounts of devlopmet time away from the single player aspects of the game. In any event the queston is largely redundant for the foreseeable future since as i said in the answer to question 1, the indications are that Egosofts current project is NOT an X game.
Last edited by Nyax on Sun, 31. Oct 10, 12:32, edited 1 time in total.
mrbadger wrote:Anyway, it's Star Wars, this is important....

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Sun, 31. Oct 10, 12:30

Really? All I understood was that X3TC ended the storyline begun in X-BTF--there's nothing to say that the next game won't still be a space-based economy and combat simulator just like the last few, just that it won't be part of the same storyline! (And I have no idea myself WHAT the next game is going to be, before anyone asks).

Nyax
x3tc

Post by Nyax » Sun, 31. Oct 10, 12:47

pjknibbs wrote:Really? All I understood was that X3TC ended the storyline begun in X-BTF--there's nothing to say that the next game won't still be a space-based economy and combat simulator just like the last few, just that it won't be part of the same storyline! (And I have no idea myself WHAT the next game is going to be, before anyone asks).
You can of course interpret things that way and amongst the comments that have leaked out are ones that suggest the next game IS a space game of some sort.

However that interpretation seems... flawed to me. A X game tha's not part of the same storyline? Well what storyline? Kyle and Julian Brennans stories both effectively ended with X3R. TC was to all practical intents and purposes a bunch of largely unrelated things that happened afterwards. Why advertise it as a concluding chapter when the main story threads have already been concluded? If anything X3TC was STARTING a whole new chapter in the X-verse, not ending one. So if it's being described as an ending then that to me implies a shift to something COMPLETELY new.

Still we'll all have to wait for official word and in the meantime i suppose we'll all (myself included) continue to interpret egsofts comments in a way that makes it sounds like they're doing what we personally would want them to do, irrespective of whether it's true or not :)
mrbadger wrote:Anyway, it's Star Wars, this is important....

Canefox
x3tc

Post by Canefox » Sun, 31. Oct 10, 12:57

There's still a few plot points which could be used. Winters was never captured, he could still pose a threat to Terran security and the commonwealth as a whole. While the Kha'ak threat has been effectively dealt with, the Xenon could see a resurgence with Winters's help.

Also something I would find an even more interesting is if the Terrans ever do integrate themselves with the rest of commonwealth. They've already displayed diplomacy and willingness to work together with the Argon and Boron.

Though I suspect that what ever future space simulator game is made an unofficial X4 mod will follow.

perkint
x3tc

Post by perkint » Sun, 31. Oct 10, 13:04

There have been comments in interviews which are open for interpretation along the lines of "it would be a shame not to use the same universe" and "we know space games, why would we not do another" (or statements along those lines) but the only official statement is that TNBT has been in development for around 4 years and is not simply X4. But since that is just a name, official intent on that may change, you never know ;)

Tim
Struggling to find something from the forums - Google it!!! :D

breytac
x4

Post by breytac » Sun, 31. Oct 10, 14:42

There are events that have happened in the encyclopedia that came with the X Superbox that have not yet happened in the X universe. They could be hints about what could happen in the next game(s) Egosoft releases.

As far as I know, there will be no X MMORPG. If you want to try an X style MMO, I suggest you try Eve Online

SpaceToast
x3tc

Post by SpaceToast » Sun, 31. Oct 10, 15:32

multiplayer would suck because the person with the most time on his hands would own the universe.......sorry but that wouldnt be fun id like to see 1-4 players maybe where 3 players join another players game.
X3 terran conflict is the best game in the world next to supreme commander 1 ;)

SpaceSquirrel
x3tc

Post by SpaceSquirrel » Sun, 31. Oct 10, 15:49

Since very little information is available so far, my guess is that;

-its space based
-is single player not MMO(I don't like MMO's)
-its very different than X games, because Bernard
said after 2006 he started developing a new type of game to change the direction of space games? If I remember correctly.
-its based on a 3D map like Elite games and has approximately 1000 planets.
-requires a fairly fast computer to run it, therefore is graphically demanding.
-probably involves landing on planets and maybe first person mode of some sort.
-will be called "The Adventures of SpaceSquirrel"
Boron Marine: Mi Chi Ken "All for one and one for all!...Lets go men!...Arg!...reaching hull, almost there...attempting to breach hull...I'm feeling hungry...I wanna go home...static...losing transmission...your breaking up Captain...must abort mission...cannot breach hull...forgot to take drill...ahhhh...not feeling well...must return to ship Captain...ahhhh...have doctors note...ya thats it ya and ahhh...just noticed...wearing shoes that don't match...must return...over?"

cj-spartacus
x3ap

Post by cj-spartacus » Sun, 31. Oct 10, 16:00

What is the point of discussing this? I mean will it really make any difference to the announcement date or the content of tnbt?

Maybe if we all shut up about it for a few days the devs might think we're losing interest and hurry up with an announcement. It's the only tactic we haven't tried yet short of storming Egosoft HQ and demanding answers.
"Sticking feathers up your butt doesn't make you a chicken." - Tyler Durden

Gazz
x4

Post by Gazz » Sun, 31. Oct 10, 16:21

pjknibbs wrote:Really? All I understood was that X3TC ended the storyline begun in X-BTF--there's nothing to say that the next game won't still be a space-based economy and combat simulator just like the last few, just that it won't be part of the same storyline! (And I have no idea myself WHAT the next game is going to be, before anyone asks).
Hehehe.
Who's to say that the storyline "has ended" in TC?
The terrans joined the fray and the last TC mission ended with W. remaining unaccounted for - an obvious cliffhanger for X4 because that means that only the first skirmish was won.
The Terran Conflict has barely begun.
Ends looks different.
My complete script download page. . . . . . I AM THE LAW!
There is no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Corruptor666

Post by Corruptor666 » Tue, 2. Aug 11, 07:24

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbjGkHn3W2c - you guys enjoy this? It brought shivers down my spine and a tear to my eye.

AjaxDude
x3tc

Post by AjaxDude » Tue, 2. Aug 11, 07:29

I'm getting in before the moderators, before they say "This thread is almost a year old" *click* :lol:
How can one player flying one ship defeat a big gang of pirates?

Good flying, or reinforcements. Lots of reinforcements.

LTerSlash
x4

Post by LTerSlash » Tue, 2. Aug 11, 08:13

:evil:

not again... mods should start deleting these tropics ASAP...

Cereal_Killa
x3tc

Post by Cereal_Killa » Tue, 2. Aug 11, 08:42

I put 'Can't decide'.

I like the socialization of mmo's but I also like being able to pause singleplayer games and play when I like and not have to log on every raid night :P

Also leetspeek tends to break the immersion..

Although I would love to have some multiplayer instanced missions :D

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”