[MD-Script] RSM - Random Sectors Management 1.5

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

Ketraar
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

[MD-Script] RSM - Random Sectors Management 1.5

Post by Ketraar » Sat, 9. Oct 10, 19:53

RSM - Random Sectors Management 1.5

English | Deutsch | Italiano

You always thought that the universe was a fix place and once you discovered it all, that was it, no more secrets, no more danger. You were right, until now! Use this MD-script and your universe will grow in time, adding new randomly generated sectors in random locations. Generated over time, some just empty unknown sectors, some Xenon. Who knows, your neighbourhood might not be as safe as you thought it was.

Every time a sector is connected to the commonwealth gate system a message will be sent, inform you about its discovery. You will only get a hint of the area, not an exact location.

This script was originally developed for New Dimensions, but I decided, and my fellow mod-team members did not object, to release it as stand-alone version.

Installation:
  • 1. Extract files to your X3TC game root folder, the files should go where they are supposed to.
    2. Start game or load an existing save.

49 Deutsch
    39 Italiano

Compatibility:
  • This file is compatible with all X3TC 2.5 save games and all mods that did not change the sector map layout
    Do NOT use if you are running New Dimensions mod

Changelog:
  • v.1.0 - Release (09-10-2010)
  • v.1.5 - Release (23-10-2010)

Credits:
  • ES for the Game and the MD
  • Toastie - Text
  • X2-Illuminatus - translations
  • This uses SunBlades Flat Galaxy bod

Suggested Scripts: MFG

Ketraar

Edit [11th Jan 2016]: Replaced outdated x1tp.com with working xdownloads link. X2-Illuminatus
Last edited by Ketraar on Sat, 14. Jan 12, 17:06, edited 10 times in total.

Sim108

Post by Sim108 » Sat, 9. Oct 10, 20:24

sounds exciting :)

Ketraar
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Ketraar » Sat, 9. Oct 10, 21:00

If you downloaded this already please download it again as I had forgotten to add Sunblade's flat galaxy bod.

MFG

Ketraar

Retiredman
x3ap

Post by Retiredman » Sun, 10. Oct 10, 01:10

Will this conflict with the [MD] Extended Horizons. New Sectors add-on mod??

Does it place a sector in the same spot as one of the existing sectors they have in the above mod..

Just would like to know.

Maybe both can be used making the game a bit bigger.

Ketraar
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Ketraar » Sun, 10. Oct 10, 01:22

Probably not compatible. As I have no clue where the new sectors are created. In future there might be a version where that is possible, but for now I doubt it. This is atm based on Vanilla map.

MFG

Ketraar

russbo
x4

Post by russbo » Sun, 10. Oct 10, 05:21

They're clustered below Unholy Descent. As your script only creates six more sectors over time, there may be a possibility that they won't conflict. But, then again....

I'm tempted to try this to see what happens.

(if you know the coordinates of the sectors created in the other mod, couldn't one just remove those potential sectors from your xml file in the director folder?)

Map doesn't work properly combining both mods, as you guys probably expected. The extended horizons sectors don't show up. But one would think someone out there, far smarter than I, could come up with a way to combine these. Great idea, adding sectors at random over time; but I've already attached myself to those other new sectors.

Ketraar
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Ketraar » Mon, 11. Oct 10, 01:29

russbo wrote:The extended horizons sectors don't show up
That's because they are not in bod, but that has nothing todo with this being incompatible.

The issue is that I coded this to fit Vanilla map, if you now use a map with additional sectors which are not taken into consideration, chances are high things go south real quick.

Like I said in German forum, maybe in future I'll expand this to include also race sector expansion, including populating them with stations (which will need a special GoD module for them, aka lots of work) and so that the code takes existing sectors into consideration (more lot of work).

But for now, this is what I got, use it, and tell me what you think, only based on feedback are improvements even possible.

MFG

Ketraar

russbo
x4

Post by russbo » Mon, 11. Oct 10, 04:49

well, just a thought about populating your new sectors. after using this other mod, whose sectors are not populated nor owned (just "unknown"), if you take them over using trickmov's STO script, they get populated by other race's stations (within the constraints of STO), and they seem to function as other sectors do. So, they can become useful sectors, they're just owned by the player. Just a thought. Not sure if that's helpful :)

Understand the bod file stuff. One question I had after looking at your script, and forgive my ignorance here, but in your xml file, if you remove the lines that refer to the other "already existing" sector spots (from this other mod), could it then be compatible (and not use the bod file, as long as you don't care about the galaxy map?) Or am I looking at this too simplistically?

Ketraar
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Ketraar » Mon, 11. Oct 10, 10:53

russbo wrote:if you remove the lines that refer to the other "already existing" sector spots (from this other mod), could it then be compatible
Basically yes, but don't get me wrong, why should I do that for that mod and not an other? Following down this thought I would have to come up fair amount of version. Not very keen doing that.

I may create a version where existing sectors are taken into account, should I come up with a feasible way to do it. :roll:

For now I'm afraid this is it, but feel free to do that for your own purposes. ;-)

MFG

Ketraar

Ketraar
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Ketraar » Sun, 24. Oct 10, 00:25

Update 1.5

Changed quite a bit in code to allow spawning of more sectors.
Now 141 are possible, they spawn in period of 2 to 3 hours each.
From now on hint message only will be delivered to user if the sector from where the message originates is known to player.
Ketraar wrote:I may create a version where existing sectors are taken into account, should I come up with a feasible way to do it.
I did have a look at this, but found no way to do it, since there is currently no way to check if a sector exists in map.

I suggest you use one of the in OP listed scripts as an addition to this one.

As usual feedback is appreciated.

MFG

Ketraar

PS.: Here some sample pics
[ external image ] [ external image ] [ external image ] [ external image ]

Baleur
x3tc

Post by Baleur » Sun, 24. Oct 10, 01:27

Wait. Wait. Is this for real? Because it just sounds, incredible O_o
Are you telling me, that over time, this script has the ability of adding 141 new sectors, randomly generated?
:o :o :o

And i must ask since you recommend IR, will they seek to take over these new sectors? Or only sectors that are generated to be kha'ak or xenon owned?

This just seems too good to be true, so, yeah. Wow :lol:
CPU: Intel i7 6300k RAM: 32gb GPU: nVidia 1070 6gb VRAM

Ketraar
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Ketraar » Sun, 24. Oct 10, 19:53

Baleur wrote:Are you telling me, that over time, this script has the ability of adding 141 new sectors, randomly generated?
Exactly. :-)
And i must ask since you recommend IR, will they seek to take over these new sectors?
To be honest I never used IR myself, well I never used RSM my self either other than to test, since I don'0t get to play a lot. But that's what it's supposed to do, according to some feedback in the German topic.

Best would be if one could try it and share his experience, feedback is the fuel to all development.

MFG

Ketraar

wellmaddy

Post by wellmaddy » Sun, 24. Oct 10, 20:07

Hi. I instaled this mod and it seems great, I have two notices so far one saying near Ceo Sprite(which is in the middle of sapce no seeming way for a new gate/system) and one for Rhonkars clouds, which has some possiables.

I have a few questions for you?

First I cannot seem to find any new gates to these systems, What is the Possiable Range of the gates? 100, 150, 200 from the system center?

Also what is the range of systems from were it says it spawned? So say Ceos sprite? is it 2 systems away or 5? cus seems like a lot of Space to cover. Any help here would be good.

**edited bit **
Also is the Systems away by Map or by gates ie Orebelt to Parnid Prime is 1 system down, But its 3 though the gate network.

Ketraar
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Ketraar » Sun, 24. Oct 10, 20:14

Gates are placed at the sector edge, so if a sector has 60km radius, that's the distance the gate will be, give or take a few km.

The hint message is also random, the sector will be 3-8 Jumps away, I know this is maybe a bit much but I'm not fancy just pointing straight to it, seams to me it would spoil some fun for those who like to explore.

MFG

Ketraar

wellmaddy

Post by wellmaddy » Sun, 24. Oct 10, 20:27

Thanks also will the gates be Auto lines up on the Axles? so if its north it will be on the north center etc.

russbo
x4

Post by russbo » Sun, 24. Oct 10, 20:31

A hundred and forty something more sectors to explore and conquer? I'll never leave the house.

Ketraar, my wife hates you.

:)

wellmaddy

Post by wellmaddy » Sun, 24. Oct 10, 20:32

I also forgot to ask, If Argon or Parnid say the gate is found will that mean the gate IS in a sector owned by them?

wellmaddy

Post by wellmaddy » Sun, 24. Oct 10, 20:35

I did some maths here and 5 systems to exploer over 141 systems would be 705 systems to explor Not incuding any you need to Recheck becuse of new spawns =-/ god thats going to take some time lol.... I ... Do... Not...Need...Sleeeepppp....

Ketraar
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Ketraar » Sun, 24. Oct 10, 20:49

Yes if a sector spawns north it will contain a South gate leading to a North gate in the sector on the south. (ugh, that sounds weird :doh: )
wellmaddy wrote:I also forgot to ask, If Argon or Parnid say the gate is found will that mean the gate IS in a sector owned by them?
Not necessary, in some cases sectors spawn near unknown sector or even Xenon sectors.

As for the amount, I just included all possible ones in 17*22 map, this just allows you to have stuff to explore even if you play late games.
Its not mandatory to explore them all.

btw. I pimped the yields a bit too, so some asteroids may actually be worth finding. :-)

MFG

Ketraar

wellmaddy

Post by wellmaddy » Sun, 24. Oct 10, 21:12

Any my last question. If you looking at the sector map, Will gates Only Spawn, were their is an Open slot next to it without a sector their?
Questions ->
1) Ceo's Sprite, has Systems to the north,south,east, and west, so no possible system could spawn, or can it?

2) Ceo's Buckzoid has a system to the east/west and south, So only possiable on the north side?

3) when you say 3-8 jump range, you mean in any direction? or you mean in fuel use? Ie as I said before Orebelt to PP is 1 JUMP, But its jumpfuel is 3 systems.

(Sorry if these seem like nobbie questions Making sure they are correct, so as to Try and cut down on the places I need to look.)

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude - Scripts and Modding”