[TC] Is x3 terran conflict simaler to eve online?

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Boo8er
x3tc

Is x3 terran conflict simaler to eve online?

Post by Boo8er » Sat, 16. Oct 10, 02:34

I was wondering does X3 have all the features of eve online has? I was wondering this because I play X3 and see youtube vids of eve and I would like to know what are the simmilaritys between eve and X3?

Scarecrow
x4

Post by Scarecrow » Sat, 16. Oct 10, 02:40

They are both in space.

StarTroll
x4

Post by StarTroll » Sat, 16. Oct 10, 02:56

The map works in the same way that you play in a sector, and each sector is connected from 1 to 3 other sectors, leading to a bit more than 220 sectors total. Unlike EvE you can have the AI pilot your ships to do different tasks for you (protect some ships / stations, laying waste to ennemy sectors) and you also can own as many complexes (group of factories linked together in a giant station) as you want, or your computer can support before beng able to cook a steak on your CPU.
Also Split ships look a bit like Minnie ships.
SCUM : They may exceed you in number, but not in value.

Boo8er
x3tc

Post by Boo8er » Sat, 16. Oct 10, 02:58

Yeah. IS the universe in EVE like X3?

Stephen_Garlick
x3tc

Post by Stephen_Garlick » Sat, 16. Oct 10, 04:31

:o I'm interested in the comparison as well. Is EvE as complex as X3 terran? Is it as good? Do you fit out ships and rage war with them? -I know you have to pay monthy for EvE is it worth it? :boron: :goner: :teladi: :paranid: :split: :rant: :pirat: :khaak: :xenon:
Last edited by Stephen_Garlick on Sat, 16. Oct 10, 09:29, edited 1 time in total.

Canefox
x3tc

Post by Canefox » Sat, 16. Oct 10, 06:01

After playing EVE for awhile, about 2 months, I found there are similarities in that it is a market driven economy, quite more so in EVE due to the fact that it is a multiplayer game. However from there the similarity breaks down. in EVE you don't really get to pilot your ship, much of it is all auto-pilot. Tell the ship you want to go here and it will take you. Combat is all based on numbers and chance, where as the X games combat is more about your piloting skill that makes the difference.

Twest09
x3tc

Post by Twest09 » Sat, 16. Oct 10, 08:21

Yeah EVE's combat leaves much to be desired..... I have seen better multiplayer combat 15 years ago when I played EverQuest... for a living at that, I made so much money off that game it wasn't funny.

AgamemnonArgon
x3tc

Post by AgamemnonArgon » Sat, 16. Oct 10, 09:13

X3 is a game played off line. It can also be modified.
Argon Patriot and Battlemaster
Peace - Through Superior Firepower

crgray

Post by crgray » Sat, 16. Oct 10, 09:44

I played eve for about 6 months when it first came out. Agree with the comments above that you don't really fly your ship, you just point the autopilot in the right direction. Combat in X3 is way better, but the economy in eve was interesting. The main problem I found it's it's way too addictive. In X3 I can save and come back the next day, but in Eve stuff is still going on while you're offline so you end up spending way too much time in it. Plus the amount of work I was doing outside the game got silly, I was the manufacturing manager for a corporation of about 100 players, and I was responsible for building ships, effectively I was running a business which took up a fair bit of out of game time.

Kor'ah
x4

Post by Kor'ah » Sat, 16. Oct 10, 09:45

NPCs don't send you hate mail when you grief them. :(
[X3] Guide to training CAG and CLS1&2 pilots
[X3T] Guide to training CAG and CLS1&2 pilots in Terran Conflict

The mercenary code
There is no right or wrong.
There is no good or evil.
There is only the will of the client, and how much they're paying.

StarTroll
x4

Post by StarTroll » Sat, 16. Oct 10, 13:41

And they don't jam your jumpdrive as soon as they see you.

Spero
x3

Post by Spero » Sat, 16. Oct 10, 17:44

The only similarity between X3 and EVE is that they're both set in space.

EVE combat is one step away from being turn based. This was the biggest shock for me.

It's a very deep game, but it's nothing like X despite the face value similarities.

Canefox
x3tc

Post by Canefox » Sun, 17. Oct 10, 01:18

Also there is a slight similarity between their story line. Humans from Earth find a way to another galaxy through a wormhole but then collapses trapping the humans and cutting them off from Earth and forcing them to rebuild their society in this new space. However X has the advantage as they did it first (X:BtF 1999, EVE 2003)

Lucius Tarkin
x3tc

Post by Lucius Tarkin » Mon, 18. Oct 10, 11:12

Having played Eve for quite some time (far longer than X3, that I prefer), here's my few points about both games :

- Piloting : No piloting, dogfighting, crashing in Eve (well... that's not completly true... playing with a high speed ship makes you use some tricks to avoid getting killed in a few seconds).

- Industry : X3 is about industry with supply chains, factories... In Eve you don't have real factories, only advanced crafting. You can make a living of crafting goods, but you won't ever build an industrial empire like in X3.

- Ships : Eve has, by far, the largest choice in ships. In Eve, the smallest ship you can pilot is a frigate (let aside the shuttle) and it's sized like a M3+ (more or less) and the biggest can't even find a comparison in X3. Plus there are FAR more specialized ships : interceptors (would be like a M5), covert ops (able to cloak to spy on the ennemy and send probes)... The main class in Eve is the battleship who could roughly be compared to the M2, but there are far bigger ships and a lot of ships between this Battleship and your regular frigate.

- AI : You only pilote ONE ship at a time in Eve (you can use drone though, some are the size of an M4). And some ships are really powerful but boring as hell : Motherships, Titans...

- Combat : in Eve there are two kind of fights : against the AI and against players. Against AI it's the same thing all the time : get the right fitting on your ship and you won't die... You can even get some coffee during the fight. Against other players, it's fast and deadly and needs a lot of training, but you won't achieve much alone.

- Economy : most of the money comes from farming critters (like in any online game). The money is then used to buy goods crafted by other players. the economy is rather simple compared to X3, it's just the scale that's HUGE.

- Universe : Far far bigger than X3 (let say 100 times), but you don't have any jump drive (well... not completly true... but no jump drive on small ships and you need someone to "open" the door on the other side).

- Corporations : Eve is all about corporations. You may enjoy it alone, but not for a long time. Nothing really interesting can be done alone (building stations, making politics etc...).

- Experience : In Eve you have to learn skills. They aren't dependent on experience points or anything : they just grow wether you play or not (that's great). But there are sooo much different skills you have to specialize. You may want to choose what kind of ship you want to fly, wich guns you use etc.

To summarize :
X3 : Trade - Fight - Build - Think
Eve : Farm - Craft - Socialize - Wait

But Eve IS a great experience. An excellent one even. But you'll spend more time doing boring things than in X3. Good thing is : find a corporation of likely minded people and you're in !

Combat Wombat
x4

Post by Combat Wombat » Mon, 18. Oct 10, 11:39

Eve is also dieing atm if you wanted to get in on the real fun you've missed the boat. Played it for over 4 years and its bleeding players. Everyone I know is moving on and I know allot of people.
You can give a man fire and he will be warm for a day, but set him on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

cezarip
x3tc

Post by cezarip » Mon, 18. Oct 10, 12:16

Combat Wombat wrote:Eve is also dieing atm if you wanted to get in on the real fun you've missed the boat. Played it for over 4 years and its bleeding players. Everyone I know is moving on and I know allot of people.
Maybe now the fun is coming. The big mass of people is moving and with them the terror
Spoiler
Show
(stupid)
players are also leaving. Time to renew my EVE account?
Provided that the laws of mathematics are
related to reality, they are not reliable. And if
they are reliable, they aren’t related to
reality.

Albert Einstein

Elucca
x3tc

Post by Elucca » Mon, 18. Oct 10, 13:04

Eve has been dying ever since it was released according to some people. :roll:
Your sample size is small. That people you know are quitting means just that, they're quitting. It doesn't mean Eve is dying. You know dozens, maybe hundreds of people tops and there are some 40 000 playing at any given moment. I've played on and off since 2006 and every time I've gone back to it there have been significantly more players. It used to be 20 000 players playing at once.
- Industry : X3 is about industry with supply chains, factories... In Eve you don't have real factories, only advanced crafting. You can make a living of crafting goods, but you won't ever build an industrial empire like in X3.
I don't think you can call large mining operations and moon harvesting and ship construction arrays and whatnot advanced crafting. Industrial corporations are pretty much industrial empires.
The supply chains are there. Items are built from ore harvested by players. T2 items are built out of products harvested by moon harvesting arrays. Rigs are built out of salvage acquired from wrecks.

I'd also say that Eve's economy is far more complex than X3's... For one, it's actually a real economy. Things it produces are used, not thrown into a sink. (equipment docks) It also has to be profitable, while in X3 money is only a factor for the player. Stations don't have to make profit. It's complex enough that it's worthwhile for the developers to pay wages to economists that manage it and make sure it doesn't crash. They also produce quarterly reports.
The economy is only partially based on killing NPCs, much like in X3 the player's economy is partially based on hunting pirates.

Melter
x3tc

Post by Melter » Mon, 18. Oct 10, 23:21

I have never encountered anything that came close to the addiction i suffered with EVE, things have been dumbed down a little since the old days but give it a go - it's a remarkable place...

StarTroll
x4

Post by StarTroll » Tue, 19. Oct 10, 00:39

In X you manage on paper your next super complex with all income and outcome, in EvE you do the same for your skills management.

vlasticz
x4

Post by vlasticz » Tue, 19. Oct 10, 21:28

StarTroll wrote:In X you manage on paper your next super complex with all income and outcome, in EvE you do the same for your skills management.
economy/war RTS vs. advanced RPG ? apples vs. pears ? :)

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”