Theoretical workable multiplayer X

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Pyure
x3tc

Theoretical workable multiplayer X

Post by Pyure » Fri, 6. Aug 10, 17:05

Stop reading now if you simply hate this (multiplayer) discussion. I'm posting this out of pure amusement for myself.

If I wanted a multiplayer version of X3, it would not be an MMO. Lets get that fact straight right away. I dislike MMOs, nuff said.

However, there's a multiplayer concept floating in my mind that piques my interest a bit.

5 players agree on a ruleset (scripts, mods, version), one sets up a X3 server, all log in.

The universe is new and young: each player controls a corporation belonging to one of the major factions, waiting to spread out and commercialize/dominate the universe. The sectors are not industrialized yet: outside your core sectors, there are no solar plants, no mines, all that happy stuff.

Each sector has randomly-generated preferred resources: ones with asteroids would tend to be ore-generating. Those with multiple suns would be excellent solar-generating. So forth.

In short, you expand into sectors, trade with (or destroy) your friends. Contend with the various NPC issues and missions we see regularly.

Victory conditions include wiping out your buddies, generating Y income, dominating Z amount of the universe, whatever.

SETA would need to be replaced with hyperthrusters or some such, since time compression doesn't work with multiple people involved.

And yes, a game might take days or weeks to complete. Whatever, that's not new to big strategy games these days anyway.

No crazy new additions (first-person; planet-wandering;etc etc) just the ability to interact with and compete against a real person or two with the same rules.

This isn't really a realistic endeavour: I don't think publishers are at all interested in funding 5-player multiplayer games these days (I wouldn't either). But one can dream.

My $0.02 and then some. Your patience and consideration is kindly appreciated if you bothered to read this :)
What's a battle?

Serial Kicked
x3tc

Post by Serial Kicked » Fri, 6. Aug 10, 17:10

X3:TC/AP Pirate Guild 3 - Yaki Armada 2 - Anarkis Defense System

Anarkis Gaming HQ
Independent Game Development
X3 Scripting and Modding Station

cj-spartacus
x3ap

Post by cj-spartacus » Fri, 6. Aug 10, 17:24

Why do new players always want multi-player?

Does it eventually get drilled out our systems when we realise how much we'd hate to have to share the universe with someone else?

I began playing X2 in 2005 and I remember after a few weeks thinking, 'There should be a multi-player version of this game!'

Then by about 2007 when I finally got around to owning a machine that could run X3:R and not catch fire I realised, 'This is great because there's no one else here.'

A multi-player x game would contradict the spirit of the series so far in my humble estimations.
"Sticking feathers up your butt doesn't make you a chicken." - Tyler Durden

Pyure
x3tc

Post by Pyure » Fri, 6. Aug 10, 17:30

Greetings and salutations Serial, and happy Friday too :)

Looking through this link quickly, help me out, so I don't have to read all 4 pages of stuff: did I post in the wrong area? Is it the fact that the topic is already done to death (which in fairness I don't care about since there's 19000 pages and the search function doesn't seem work for me)

I don't have any Qs that need FAs, and I'm certainly not interested in an MMO (which this link seems to be primarily about)

Oh is it the fact that shanrak also expressed the idea last year on multiplayer-sans-MMO? (Great minds)

Prithee, treat this poor newbie kindly :)
Last edited by Pyure on Fri, 6. Aug 10, 17:49, edited 1 time in total.
What's a battle?

amtct
x3ap

Post by amtct » Fri, 6. Aug 10, 17:37

Serial Kicked wrote:multiplayer FAQ

(sorry :mrgreen:)
Add 30 to 2010 :P

Pyure
x3tc

Post by Pyure » Fri, 6. Aug 10, 17:41

@cj spartacus
Oh, cj, you publicly ganked and clubbed a newbie. And then painted them all in the same horrible color. The cruelty and elitestness of it all. :wink:

But I can certainly try to address your annoyed thoughts; try to bit patient with me:

When I'm playing, I can pick and choose my own goals and ambitions, and this is good. But I always know I can simply change my goals any time I like. For that matter, I can change the rules any time I like. This fact hinders the challenge to me. By adding one element (sort of like those people who desperately want a DiD environment) I get my cake and eat it too: a complete sandbox experience with the knowledge that I can *lose* if I conduct my affairs like a complete idiot.

It doesn't matter how many times I decide "ok I'm going to just wipe out all the Boron/Teladi/Pirates"; once I've accomplished it once, its done. But if I place, say, you against me, the challenge will always be new and different (and, well, likely insurmountable...I seriously still suck quite a bit.)
What's a battle?

cj-spartacus
x3ap

Post by cj-spartacus » Fri, 6. Aug 10, 17:54

Pyure wrote:@cj spartacus
Oh, cj, you publicly ganked and clubbed a newbie. And then painted them all in the same horrible color. The cruelty and elitestness of it all. :wink:
Yes I did shoot first and for that I apologise.

Pyure wrote: But if I place, say, you against me, the challenge will always be new and different (and, well, likely insurmountable...I seriously still suck quite a bit.)
You are only limited by your own self perception. I wouldn't like to test your theory in the event that I am left with a nasty bruise on my ego.
"Sticking feathers up your butt doesn't make you a chicken." - Tyler Durden

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Fri, 6. Aug 10, 17:59

Pyure wrote:Looking through this link quickly, help me out, so I don't have to read all 4 pages of stuff: did I post in the wrong area? Is it the fact that the topic is already done to death (which in fairness I don't care about since there's 19000 pages and the search function doesn't seem work for me)

I don't have any Qs that need FAs, and I'm certainly not interested in an MMO (which this link seems to be primarily about)

Oh is it the fact that shanrak also expressed the idea last year on multiplayer-sans-MMO? (Great minds)
There's nothing "wrong" with your post per se. The reason people post links to that thread is that it lists many of the existing threads on the subject, most of which include similar suggestions and many of which contain detailed explanations of why the suggested "easy" or "workable" multiplayer solutions are anything but easy and often not workable either. Such threads frequently follow a familiar pattern, and some people have got a bit bored of giving the same in-depth explanations every time and now link to that thread instead. Don't take it personally. :)

Pyure
x3tc

Post by Pyure » Fri, 6. Aug 10, 18:01

Yes I did shoot first and for that I apologise.
I couldn't resist, and I tease, but appreciated :)
You are only limited by your own self perception.
You're too kind :) But, add to that that a certain lack of knowledge: I've never built a factory, or set up a trade route, or figured out how to make my sector-traders with 300-character Paranid names output their level so I know if they qualify as potential Universe traders :( :(

You could almost say...I have a lot to explore before I start making demands for new functionality, couldn't you?

Take my random thoughts for what they are: an invitation to discussion (amongs us hapless noobs if nobody else.) I'd never suggest they're a "perfect direction" for the game as a whole. They'd be a perfect addition for those like me who like a certain degree of non-interferable challenge, but would I sacrifice the development time that could be better devoted to hammering out AI, pathfinding and other issues?

Probably not.
What's a battle?

Pyure
x3tc

Post by Pyure » Fri, 6. Aug 10, 18:03

@CBJ: Duly noted. I guess the problem with such a large and active community is everything's already been said and done and said and done to the point where the older members are likely rolling their eyes at every other "new" thread ;)
What's a battle?

amtct
x3ap

Post by amtct » Fri, 6. Aug 10, 18:05

Pyure wrote:@CBJ: Duly noted. I guess the problem with such a large and active community is everything's already been said and done and said and done to the point where the older members are likely rolling their eyes at every other "new" thread ;)
:roll:

Couldn't resist ,sorry :lol:

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Fri, 6. Aug 10, 19:20

Pyure wrote:...I guess the problem with such a large and active community is everything's already been said and done and said and done to the point where the older members are likely rolling their eyes at every other "new" thread ;)
Ah, so you do get it, after all. :wink:

And rather than read some of the threads in that link, you want us to rewrite them all for you, right now, right here? Ain't gonna happen. That's why that thread with all those links was created in the first place. Enjoy. :P
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

Pyure
x3tc

Post by Pyure » Fri, 6. Aug 10, 20:36

Well, alternately, since this is a place of discussion for everyone, and not just the superstars, I should think I can simply ask my fellow powernoobs to indulge me and themselves in some pointless discussion, and beg the elders to pardon the extra thread and not contribute to it. :)

One thing I don't understand:
And rather than read some of the threads in that link, you want us to rewrite them all for you, right now, right here?
This appears to be an erroneous statement. Yes, I requested that someone clarify if my post was done inappropriately. No, I don't need or want anyone to re-write the entire contents of an FAQ I didn't want to read the entirety of in the first place (Note that the OP had no Questions to Ask, Frequent or otherwise). Was I going to pore through a long thread with no explanation or direction provided, looking for a specific piece of verbiage which may or may not pertain to me? Unlikely.

If this sort of X-naiveté really is completely unwelcome here, please save everyone some ire and simply remove the thread accordingly, and I'll wait till I've seen a few month's play before returning and indulging in X chatter with the big boys. Less harm done :)
What's a battle?

efernal
x3tc

Post by efernal » Fri, 6. Aug 10, 20:46

If you are really desperate for X-online that is playable but don't mind down scaling try this tekagis.com

It is one of the very few mod's for a game that I know of that has any of the X3 ships in it. And boy are they ugly in that version. I played this and seen a boron m5 and thought is was downright ugly in lime green that glowed. Some of the other models ain't too bad though (I think the paranid ones were ok). Just remember these guy's are modder's using a dead game aka Freelancer. And it is nowhere near as good or complex as the X series.
Those Damn alien bastards are gonna pay for blowing up my ride!
--Duke Nukem 3D

Pyure
x3tc

Post by Pyure » Fri, 6. Aug 10, 20:52

@efernal:
lol, I might check it out for fun, but I'm honestly not that desperate for multiplayer. Simply amused enough with the idea to throw it out there for some cringe-inducing discussion :)

Things I do not need:
  • Multiplayer
    DiD
    Some superbox thing.
    Walking around on planets
    Walking around in first-person
Things I need:
  • More gaming time.
To my consternation, I don't think anyone here is able to assist with my gaming time issue.
What's a battle?

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Fri, 6. Aug 10, 21:29

Pyure wrote:...
If this sort of X-naiveté really is completely unwelcome here, please save everyone some ire and simply remove the thread accordingly, and I'll wait till I've seen a few month's play before returning and indulging in X chatter with the big boys. Less harm done :)
Give it a rest, dude. It was just an attempt at a humorous jest. Sorry you took it so seriously. And it wasn't from a moderator's perspective, just someone who's posted on the subject so many times in that 'FAQ' list you're ignoring. Oh, well.
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

Pyure
x3tc

Post by Pyure » Fri, 6. Aug 10, 21:35

Sigh, returned in kind, humourous jest, except in regards to deleting my offending post, which I'd do had I the leet powerz.

These things don't translate well through text as you can see.

You totally fail to comprehend that as an arctic resident I have a magical and irrevocable bond towards anyone named polar bear. Our enmity is meant to be, ok??

Delete, lock, kill, move, whatever the post. I'm done cluttering the internets with my packets on it regardless. And cheer up :D
What's a battle?

Serial Kicked
x3tc

Post by Serial Kicked » Fri, 6. Aug 10, 21:42

naaah please continue !

Did you know that "multiplayer" is already possible in TC ?

Hot-seat !

Yeah, apparently there's a script for that somewhere in the german board.
X3:TC/AP Pirate Guild 3 - Yaki Armada 2 - Anarkis Defense System

Anarkis Gaming HQ
Independent Game Development
X3 Scripting and Modding Station

efernal
x3tc

Post by efernal » Fri, 6. Aug 10, 22:40

Hey now! Don't know the Ultimate power of the Ultima Online Polar Bear!

And also is that like saying there is an app for that lol!
Those Damn alien bastards are gonna pay for blowing up my ride!
--Duke Nukem 3D

KRM398
xr

Post by KRM398 » Sun, 8. Aug 10, 01:25

he,he,he and after many years playing every X game ever invented, (and still have them in original cases). I can say this, multiplayer for X would never work, why? Because many of us and I do mean MANY, are ego maniacs who don't want to or wont share their galaxy with anyone else. If you were to live in the same galaxy as them then you'd be at war constantly and never get any profits made. I have friends who have made complexes with 50 station on it and when we talked about multiplayer, I suggested that there would be a limit to how many stations any one player could have, and they immediately said they'd never buy or play a game that stopped them from controlling the galaxy, enough said.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”