[LIBRARY] ECS: Extended Communication System 2.5 [2009-12-10]

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

Serial Kicked
x3tc

[LIBRARY] ECS: Extended Communication System 2.5 [2009-12-10]

Post by Serial Kicked » Thu, 10. Dec 09, 00:38

--------------
Important Note: This is a library aimed to be used by other scripters. If you are an user there's no point in downloading this.
--------------

ECS: Extended Communication System

ECS is a library that can be used by any script or plugin. It is intended to be easy to use and implement. It includes several functions to add the following features to your scripts without efforts:
  • + An easy to use and configure News System (much like the old X2/X3R BBS, but better)
    + Various commands to display windows looking like standard communication dialogs
    + The ability to link one of your scripts to the ECS keyboard shortcut
ECS source code is heavily commented, so you should give it a look to get yourself familiarized with it. However it's not really necessary, reading the documentation should be enough.A demo script is also included, be sure to give a look at it to see how things should work here.

ECS 2.5 has been used by the Pirate Guild, Yaki Armada, Anarkis Defense System and Military Base Response revamp AL Plugins for X3TC to handle communications between the player and other objects. The previous 1.0 version was used in X3 Reunion by various scripts and plugins. By itself, ECS is perfectly stable when used correctly. It has no known bug or compatibility issues.

[ external image ] - Download ZIP Archive

Also, you can look at the online Online Documentation (also included in the archive)

:arrow: The News System

Instead of sending popup after popup to the player to inform him about a sector changing hand (sector takeover scripts and plugins) or that a new mission is available somewhere or that a Xenon invasion is going on in a sector. Why not use a news system that the player can see whenever he wants, or whenever you want, according to your needs? This system, even if called "News" system, but it can be used for any kind of logging action.

Here's a screenshot taken from Pirate Guild:
[ external image ]

:arrow: ECS Keyboard Shortcut

As ECS was initially a script used to handle comms (and it still mostly is) an hotkey system was included, so that several scripts can share the same hotkey to handle communication with different factions. But it can be used for other purposes. Basically it allows you to call the script of your choice when the player targets an object that fills the parameters you've used in the registration procedure and press the ECS hotkey.

:arrow: Custom Communication Dialogs

ECS also allows you to easily display dialogs that looks like the standard X3 communication dialogs. They feature the video usually displayed next to the message and optional sound sample. Here's a sample screenshot of what you will get using these commands:

[ external image ]
Last edited by Serial Kicked on Thu, 5. Aug 10, 10:03, edited 3 times in total.
X3:TC/AP Pirate Guild 3 - Yaki Armada 2 - Anarkis Defense System

Anarkis Gaming HQ
Independent Game Development
X3 Scripting and Modding Station

Serial Kicked
x3tc

Post by Serial Kicked » Thu, 10. Dec 09, 00:38

Text ID used : 8511.

Languages Available : English, French, German.

Anarkis Gaming HQ

Gazz
x4

Post by Gazz » Thu, 10. Dec 09, 08:30

Small suggestion:

Actors reporting from unknown sectors are always annoying.
The NICE script displays something like
Unknown Sector (near Mines of Fortune)

It simply tracks to the nearest known sector so the player has a clue whereabouts the message is from.

Should probably expand this to
Unknown Sector (2 near Mines of Fortune)
to show how many sectors it is from there. TC has some chains of US.

The code isn't that tricky (only 1 loop I think...) and you're welcome to it.
My complete script download page. . . . . . I AM THE LAW!
There is no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Robert Foster
x3

Post by Robert Foster » Thu, 10. Dec 09, 09:12

this is cool and all,
I just don't like the part where now "Mob Bosses" are in this universe.
I am not playing a Mob game.
Hence the example in this picture.
http://blackagenda.hostzi.com/screens/pgscreen6.jpg
I Am Currently Playing ( TRANSCEND-II )
I am a Asteroid Miner and I love to Mine - Brine, Nividium, Oil, Tellurium, Plutonium, Tridium, Metal, Tritanium and Gallium Crystals.
Proud owner of Protools|HD3 system.

joelR
x3tc

Post by joelR » Thu, 10. Dec 09, 16:00

Robert Foster wrote:this is cool and all,
I just don't like the part where now "Mob Bosses" are in this universe.
I am not playing a Mob game.
Hence the example in this picture.

huh?

Gazz
x4

Post by Gazz » Thu, 10. Dec 09, 16:22

This. Is. A. Library.

It's not a script to "play". No mob bosses. No ships. No nothing.
My complete script download page. . . . . . I AM THE LAW!
There is no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

yospanky
x3ap

Post by yospanky » Thu, 10. Dec 09, 18:57

outstanding
Lakers 2009 CHAMPIONS!!!!

Robert Foster
x3

Post by Robert Foster » Thu, 10. Dec 09, 22:26

In the picture I provided, it says from "Bright Profit Mob Boss"

this is why I mentioned it.
If there is none, then its all cool then.
I am a Asteroid Miner and I love to Mine - Brine, Nividium, Oil, Tellurium, Plutonium, Tridium, Metal, Tritanium and Gallium Crystals.

Serial Kicked
x3tc

Post by Serial Kicked » Fri, 11. Dec 09, 05:11

@Gazz:

Indeed a good idea. I'm pretty sure i even did this kind of code in PG2 for X3R, but forgot to put it back in the X3TC releases. Thanks, will do.

I won't be able to do anything about the article's "content", this is the scripter's business, not mine. But however, the "From" part (like Pirate Base(Unknown Sector)) could still be parsed by ECS. I'll include this in next release.

@Robert Foster:

The screenshots come from my Pirate Guild plugin, which includes mob bosses and other things. ECS is a library used by PG, and probably all the other plugins i'll write.

Like i said:
This is a library aimed to be used by other scripters. If you are an user there's no point in downloading this.

Anarkis Gaming HQ

Robert Foster
x3

Post by Robert Foster » Fri, 11. Dec 09, 06:42

Ok, cool my bad then.

Gofuno

Post by Gofuno » Thu, 5. Aug 10, 08:48

I can't download this script :(
Is it only my problem? Will it be fixd soon?

Serial Kicked
x3tc

Post by Serial Kicked » Thu, 5. Aug 10, 09:23

It works.

Why do you want to download it ? There's no point in downloading this if you're not a scripter yourself.

Anarkis Gaming HQ

utops

Post by utops » Sun, 19. Sep 10, 12:19

M8,the server is not responding, it's dead.
Can you do something with this?
I need this for Military Base Response revamp.

Thx.

Catra

Post by Catra » Sun, 19. Sep 10, 20:59

utops wrote:M8,the server is not responding, it's dead.
Can you do something with this?
I need this for Military Base Response revamp.

Thx.
its workin fine for me. try again.

MegaBurn
xr

Post by MegaBurn » Wed, 29. Sep 10, 01:46

Server might have issues. Downloaded three times, two with Firefox were too small at ~198kb. Third time with wget it ended prematurely at about 198kb but continued fine and tested ok.

Anuke

Post by Anuke » Sun, 7. Nov 10, 09:44

the ecs is working super fine for pirate guild 3, but it will not recognize military base revamp for some reason. also, what does it recognize as "Anarkas.acc" is that "anarkas defence sys"?
What GoD taketh away, Cycrow giveth back.

HogMaster

Post by HogMaster » Fri, 4. Mar 11, 17:51

I have this, the Pirate Guild and Military Base Revamp aswell as the Defense Grid scripts added to my game.

I can bing up the Galatic News, the Defense Grid Options, but how do I open the Extended Comms system? My Hotkey does.... nothing.

I can not view the Pirate Guild Newsfeed or access Race Relation and Invasion options.

Falcrack
x4

Post by Falcrack » Tue, 17. Jan 12, 04:52

I am trying to register this for use with the MBRR mod, as the instructions for it say that is is required for it. However, the instructions for registering the script so that it will function for MBRR may as well have been written in chinese. Can someone explain in plain terms how I register this with the MBRR script? I have very little experience with scripts and modding.

joelR
x3tc

Post by joelR » Tue, 17. Jan 12, 05:11

Falcrack wrote:I am trying to register this for use with the MBRR mod, as the instructions for it say that is is required for it. However, the instructions for registering the script so that it will function for MBRR may as well have been written in chinese. Can someone explain in plain terms how I register this with the MBRR script? I have very little experience with scripts and modding.
You dont need to do anything. Just have it installed along with MBRR. You will need to assign a hotkey to it for use with PG and or MBRR.

Akrilloth
x3tc

Post by Akrilloth » Sat, 25. Feb 12, 15:41

Ok, how the HECK do you install this thing? The readme included instructions on how to register it(?), but that was all Gibberish to me. Can i just install it via the plugin manager?

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude - Scripts and Modding”