Is this cheating? [Answered]

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

Is it cheating?

Definitely cheating. Too easy.
72%
If the script is fair, so is this.
12%
Ya, that's totally fair.
1%
Totally friggin AWESOME!!
1%
It's Too Easy
14%

Total votes: 85

MatterStorm1
x3tc

Is this cheating? [Answered]

Post by MatterStorm1 » Sun, 11. Jul 10, 23:18

I was just in Legend's Home and I saw an 'Argon Military Heavy Centaur Prototype'. I scanned it and checked its info, and it seems to be like the normal centaur just more powerful (without the regular heavy centaur's low speed) :o . I was in an advanced eclipse and thought I could possibly capture it using this capture script.

To capture a ship with the script, you simply lower its shields down to 0% and then use a hot-key command to send computer components over to the ship (with a transporter device). (This does not work on M1s or M2s)

I had to attack, wait for laser energy to reload, attack, apologize, wait for laser energy to reload, then attack.
It wasn't easy, but I got it and it's really awesome :D . I think the script itself is pretty fair, but I think this is stretching it. Was this cheating? :?
Last edited by MatterStorm1 on Mon, 12. Jul 10, 18:18, edited 2 times in total.
I have X3:TC v2.7.1 on Windows Vista

Sam L.R. Griffiths
x4

Post by Sam L.R. Griffiths » Mon, 12. Jul 10, 00:11

Perhaps the script needs to be balanced a bit more, maybe make it so that you have to keep the shields down for quite a while while you hack the computer using microchips/computer components OR perhaps the already illegal ware Hacker Chips (if you can add them in to the game some how).

Either way, this really does belong in the appropriate Scripts & Modding forum rather than the main forum ;)
Lenna (aka [SRK] The_Rabbit)

"Understanding is a three edged sword... your side, their side... and the Truth!" - J.J. Sheriden, Babylon 5 S4E6 T28:55

"May god stand between you and harm in all the dark places you must walk." - Ancient Egyption Proverb

"When eating an elephant take one bite at a time" - Creighton Abrams

handzon
x3tc

Post by handzon » Mon, 12. Jul 10, 00:15

kind of reflects boarding pods with a guaranteed outcome every time.
Handzon c.e.o at SPARTRANS TRADING CO.
[ external image ]

bonalste
x4

Post by bonalste » Mon, 12. Jul 10, 01:01

What are the results of your script when a ship has marines on board? You can't exactly hack them...

breytac
x4

Post by breytac » Mon, 12. Jul 10, 03:13

As will all things, self-control is key. You could go on a rampage and capture tons of ships this way. The script was really designed to make pilots of unboardable bail. The script can't be used to capture larger prey, so you're still going to have to train marines.

MatterStorm1
x3tc

Re: bonalste

Post by MatterStorm1 » Mon, 12. Jul 10, 05:59

bonalste wrote:What are the results of your script when a ship has marines on board? You can't exactly hack them...
I don't know, I haven't gotten to the point in the game where I use marines and such. Sorry if I don't remember where I got the script so you can check yourself :( . I'll try to find it now.

MatterStorm1
x3tc

Found It Already!

Post by MatterStorm1 » Mon, 12. Jul 10, 06:05

I wrote:Sorry if I don't remember where I got the script so you can check yourself Sad . I'll try to find it now.
Found it! Just had to search my browser history. Here it is.

X2-Eliah
x4

Post by X2-Eliah » Mon, 12. Jul 10, 06:27

Hmm, I wouldn't use that in my own game, as it does seem badly balanced and over-easy. However, every game is as you want it to be, so if it works for you, if you feel you've put in an adequate effort, then it's perfectly fine :)

Gazz
x4

Post by Gazz » Mon, 12. Jul 10, 07:09

That's a strange poll because cheating is a very personal issue.
In my game, guaranteed and instant boarding without even needing any marines would be cheating, in your game apparently not.

There is no authority that says "this is a cheat script and this is not".

It is probably 100 times easier than boarding with marines but if that's the right balance for your game, that's cool.
My complete script download page. . . . . . I AM THE LAW!
There is no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

testpilot_bg
x3tc

Post by testpilot_bg » Mon, 12. Jul 10, 09:17

Definitely cheating. To lower the target's shields is easy!

bonalste
x4

Post by bonalste » Mon, 12. Jul 10, 09:28

Yeah I do think it's silly. It just means that you can cap every single fighter, transport, etc. you ever see, with pretty much no effort. Completely unbalances the game in my opinion. And as I say - unrealistic. If you use this on an M6 with marines on board... I mean what, those marines would just let you take the ship? And yeah, you're transporting the computer ship to where? No soldering required? This is a cheat script and it's fine if you want to cheat on your game but otherwise... nah.

Serial Kicked
x3tc

Post by Serial Kicked » Mon, 12. Jul 10, 09:30

Like the others said, that's your game. X3 is a sandbox / freeform game after all. No one, other than you can qualify it, as a cheat or not.

But if you're asking if i'd use it in my game, then the answer is no. Makes things waaaaay too easy :p
X3:TC/AP Pirate Guild 3 - Yaki Armada 2 - Anarkis Defense System

Anarkis Gaming HQ
Independent Game Development
X3 Scripting and Modding Station

Vayde
x3tc

Post by Vayde » Mon, 12. Jul 10, 11:08

I'm with Gazz and Serial Kicked on this one. You play the game for enjoyment and if that script gives you what you want in your game then all's fair :)
Still life in the old dog yet...

LV
Sith Lord
x3tc

Post by LV » Mon, 12. Jul 10, 11:13

You can only cheat yourself

The question is really is it balanced or too easy

hence the new poll option ;)
LV's TC Scripts
Readme's For All My Scripts

I felt a great disturbance in the forum, Like millions of voices cried out in terror, then were silenced

si tacuisses, philosophus mansisses

Chris0132
xr

Post by Chris0132 » Mon, 12. Jul 10, 11:24

Cheating is kinda subjective, I won't start the game without installing a bunch of scripts like RRF to add more combat options to the game, PM and FDN to make setting up my own base of operations more complete and simple, and then using the cheat menu to give myself a mobile repair ship and TL loaded with some basic stations and 100 million credits to buy anything else I need to set up.

It's not that I just want all the rewards with no effort, it's more that I find the early game incredibly boring and prefer instead to play the game more like an RTS. The whole point of scripts is to modify the game into what you want to play, how you accomplish it is up to you.

Cadius
x3tc

Post by Cadius » Mon, 12. Jul 10, 13:24

The script is one thing but vanilla game also had plenty of exploitable holes, so I think the question you should ask yourself is "does it ruin the fun?". If yes, then maybe you should stop doing it, in a single player game like x3 I think self control is the best balance.

EFSEAR
x3tc

Post by EFSEAR » Mon, 12. Jul 10, 14:31

I'm with the person who said it's all about self-control, and those that said if you yourself get your fun out of it. I've used this script myself but I only ever used it to capture khaak M3's, as I'm not sure if they bail or what, I've certainly never seen them bail otherwise. Never used it on M6's as in my mind they have better protected computers, and marines on-board who wouldn't take the switch laying down. Didn't know you couldn't use it on capitals ships even though I wouldn't bother, but that at least is balanced.
Yes? Want something you?

MrLobster
x3tc

Post by MrLobster » Mon, 12. Jul 10, 16:28

Since X3 Reunion, I've installed the cheat package scripts from cycrow.

The only reason I do this is because the X-Game is still bugged.

Nine in every 10 Times I place a station, it wont connect to the existing hub.

Yes there are ways of doing it so you can get a better chance of succeeding, however surely by now it should be idiot proof. Plonk down the station, and hit connect. Why some stations have varying levels of connecting points i dont know.

But back to the point...

Everyone has their own idea on how the game should play, but I find that after a while I just give up with the sometime idiotic game dynamics (InSector AI for one) and just cheat my way through. But then after a while the game losses its coolness and gets left by the sideline.

X2-Eliah
x4

Post by X2-Eliah » Mon, 12. Jul 10, 16:38

It doesn't connect because you are placing it too far, perhaps?

MatterStorm1
x3tc

Re:

Post by MatterStorm1 » Mon, 12. Jul 10, 18:16

Thanks guys! :D . I kind of like this in my game, it makes things a lot more convenient and I guess it doesn't ruin the game. I guess I'll keep the M6.

*Adding the script site to the main post

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude - Scripts and Modding”