[TC] How to board with two TP's

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Gruber1232002
x3

How to board with two TP's

Post by Gruber1232002 » Tue, 25. May 10, 20:53

Boarding with two TP's has been one of those unlikely suggestions that I have encountered occasionally on the forums. I was recently asked for suggestions about how to proceed so I decided to take a crack at it.

IT IS HARDER THAN IT SOUNDS.

There, that's my disclaimer.

The truth is it took a lot of preparation and honestly it would be easier to find an abandoned M7M. But, if you play with some sort of rules or code of conduct, then maybe this will be useful.

SETTING:

Since I didn't have an Elephant yet I chose an Arena as my target. It's fast, which makes it more challenging but the idea is that the exercise should be an analog to boarding an M7M.

The first attempt involved the two TP's and my Hyperion. I only managed to get 5 guys out of 20 on board, and they capped it. Ordering the TP's to board by themselves while you suppress the shields is just untenable. Overall a very frustrating and essentially worthless exercise since it's not analogous to boarding your first M7M unless you already have 20 elite marines, in which case you already have a bunch of boarding experience and don't need to read this post :).

So I scrapped the whole operation and tried a different approach.

TOOLS:

1 Heavy centaur prototype / (any Ion-d platform will work).
2x TP (I used the Express)
Transporter devices
20 fully trained rookie marines. (average fight skill ~ 30, trainable skills all 100)
M3/M4 fighters armed with PBE's / (I used L's and M's)

TACTICS:

Ships generally follow a route. It's important to figure out where it will be in the future. In the case of an M7M in a pirate sector, figure out which gate/sector it's going to. In the case of a brazen sector theft, figure out it's patrol route. You want your TP's in front of the target and you want them to have transporter devices.

Look around for hostiles. If need be take them out first. When spacewalking you don't need any additional complications.

Make sure you have plenty of fighters with PBE's (~10). I say PBE's because I've found that they work the most effectively for the 'attack shields' wing command. Anything slower or longer range results in hull damage.

Scan the target. See if it's packed with enemy marines/sentry lasers etc. You may have to burn off the offending upgrades with your Ion-d. Hopefully it's defenseless, but sometimes life is complicated.

IMPLEMENTATION:

The Arena had hull polarization. On a TL that's guaranteed spacewalk failure, so it has to go. I also know from the initial attempt that the local Python will get involved, making things messy. It has to go too. Some observation time shows that the Arena is flying a 2 point patrol in a generally N-S orientation.

I had one TP follow the other and sent them to an ambush point. I called in my J with 5 L's and 5 M's, all armed with PBE's. I set the fighter wing up at an interception point a few km from the ambush point on the Arena's path. I set up my HCP armed with 2 Ion-d's and a firestorm with them. Then I called in my Minotaur and capped the Python. (An M2 is a terrible thing to waste :))

I had to ram a police scorpion or two (to minimize rep loss) and sent the Minotaur and Python out for resupply/refitting. I then flew to the HCP and transferred ships. At this point the sector was pretty much undefended. My Split rep had taken a bit of a beating, but I can deal with that later.

Soon enough the Arena approached the interception point. I smacked it with a firestorm, bringing it's shields down to 0, and proceeded to roast off the components. At 98% hull the polarization software got burned off. I ordered the xenon wing to attack shields and sped off to the TP's.

I entered the lead TP and ordered the other TP to stop. I then flew towards the approaching Arena until the second TP was ~ 4km away. As expected the fighters were maintaining the Arena's shields at ~2-5% and the Arena was heading right for the TP's. When it got in range (just under 2km) I used the additional ship commands to launch all marines, then immediately switched to the second TP and launched all marines from it too. Except it didn't work. :evil:

I hadn't targeted the Arena so I had to scroll around to find it, at which point it was passing me, so the marines ended up behind it where they would never catch up. Abort.

On about the seventh try I finally got the timing right. I launched the marines from the second TP just as the marines from the first were making hull contact. They basically got run over by the Arena so they joined the fight just before breaching the hull. Somehow one marine got left behind, and one of the glitchy xenon fighters shot him, :(. Stupid xenon. Anyway, the rest of the op went perfectly smoothly. No losses from the fighting, and I finally got the Arena with 90% hull. Stupid xenon.

I did lose an M that rammed the Arena but there are plenty more where it came from so oh well, and considering that I have hundreds of elite marines I couldn't be bothered to reload to save a rookie. I guess he was a very expensive fully trained rookie, but to be honest I'm getting a little bored of training up the last 30 or so. It's getting in the way of my xenon accumulation project. :twisted: :xenon:

Cleanup took a some time, apologizing to any red ships, re-deploying sats, refueling the J and HCP etc, but I would say the exercise was successful, so from now on I will recommend it to anyone who wants to board capitals the really hard way... :)

JUST GET AN M7M...
AP 3.1 Vanilla + Bonus Pack. For now....

XENON
Boarding the Xenon TC 2.7

Exotic Boarding Maneuvers TC 2.7
2 TP's
2 M7M's

dbrowdy
x3tc

Post by dbrowdy » Tue, 25. May 10, 23:05

Good read, thanks. I got my rep up to second highest with Split and I'm now on the prowl for ship recovery missions to snag an M7M Cobra. The theory is that I'm gonna grab it, fit it up with jump drive and fuel then go hang around Scale Plate Green until the cops spawn. Then I jump across to Eight Million (or whatever it's called) and let the cops get squished by the Xenon. Sound about right?
Last edited by dbrowdy on Tue, 25. May 10, 23:55, edited 1 time in total.

Gruber1232002
x3

Post by Gruber1232002 » Tue, 25. May 10, 23:46

Make sure you drop shields on it too, just in case. I usually jump ships to 18 billion and have them dock at the EQD (maybe it's a military outpost.) When the cops show up I jump it to the shipyard in PTNI. Then I either cap the Police M1/M2, (cause betty says 'Police' in front of it and they sell for a bunch.), or I follow them through the xenon sectors and pick up the loot. Sometimes a J/K will go down and drop neat stuff like PSP's, PPC's, Shields etc.

Also, note that stolen ship missions also generate M7M's. Once you have one, boarding the stolen ones is cake, and you can take them with full hull if your marines are trained.

XENON

2 TP's
2 M7M's

sleepy_head
x3tc

Re: How to board with two TP's

Post by sleepy_head » Wed, 26. May 10, 04:26

Gruber1232002 wrote: JUST GET AN M7M...
^ That.

That should be the one and only advice for TP boarding.

Infekted
x3tc

Post by Infekted » Wed, 26. May 10, 12:06

Incidentally, if you have maxed mechanics, HP doesn't matter on a commonwealth TL

Gruber1232002
x3

Post by Gruber1232002 » Wed, 26. May 10, 17:36

sovereignT, in a different topic, wrote:So I just successfully capped my first TL, and I thought I'd share my experience and strategy in case others are having similar problems.

I found out that the first TL I was trying to cap had a hull polarization device, which pretty much spells disaster for teams without boarding pods. Every single one of my marines is a 5 star mechanic and they still couldn't get through the hull......
Infekted wrote:Incidentally, if you have maxed mechanics, HP doesn't matter on a commonwealth TL
I just took sovereignT at his word. I guess what I should have done was try to board it with hull polarization first and see for myself. I never learn. :)

XENON

2 TP's
2 M7M's

Infekted
x3tc

Post by Infekted » Wed, 26. May 10, 17:50

I have hull polarization, firewall software and internal security lasers on my flag ship because I usually ignore those things :D
Its defending marines that I really look out for, those can hurt big time.

Hamakua
x4

Tactics reccomendation.

Post by Hamakua » Wed, 26. May 10, 18:03

Suggestion for an easier "on the fly" approach to capping with two TP's.

Instead of staging everything, have your main fast assault ship of course, with two TP's, either different models so one is a *little* slower than the other, or just under tune one of them by one or two tunings.

Have one follow the lead ship (line) and the slower one follow the first TP (line). While approaching the target match speed to the slowest ship and line up your pass.

Your lead ship should be significantly faster than either of the two. Depending on the shielding of the target, 5-10 km out punch your assault ship's engines and do a shield run. drones are useful here to "maintain" a shield level you want. How many depends on the ship.

In the meantime your two TP's will be lagging behind, and one a little more than the other.

Hop to one.

Shift-C, 5, enter, enter, enter.

hop to the other

Shift-C, 5, enter, enter, enter.

Of course making sure you are in the right position.

This is how I do it in "early game".

I pride myself on "capping -up"

I will not buy an M7M. Period.

Gruber1232002
x3

Post by Gruber1232002 » Wed, 26. May 10, 19:47

Infekted wrote:I have hull polarization, firewall software and internal security lasers on my flag ship because I usually ignore those things :D
I usually board with 20-21 marines so usually I ignore enemy marines too. Haven't lost a guy to a non-xenon ship in months.

XENON

2 TP's
2 M7M's

dbrowdy
x3tc

Post by dbrowdy » Wed, 26. May 10, 20:00

Gruber1232002 wrote:
Infekted wrote:I have hull polarization, firewall software and internal security lasers on my flag ship because I usually ignore those things :D
I usually board with 20-21 marines so usually I ignore enemy marines too. Haven't lost a guy to a non-xenon ship in months.
Still looking for an M7M to steal. I've found a few to capture, but I don't have the skills to cap one without an M7M. However, once I get one, I know you can set them to board and then kill the shields and it'll fire appropriately...can you set it to fire 20 marines (4 pods) at once or do you have to manually fire them off?

Gruber1232002
x3

Post by Gruber1232002 » Wed, 26. May 10, 21:24

dbrowdy wrote:can you set it to fire 20 marines (4 pods) at once or do you have to manually fire them off?
It 'should' automatically fire all the marines aboard unless you turn some of them to NO. Usually it checks for lowered shields every 10 seconds or so, so it may not board immediately. Generally I strip the shields first, then I order it to board twice to make sure it actually sends all the marines. It's not usually a problem, but I want all the marines aboard to get fight experience.

If you use the hot keys it's pretty quick. Make sure you are targeting the target then in the sector map select the M7M and press

(IIRC)

C, 5, 1, enter, enter. (check the options, don't take my word for it) Then do it again just in case. If there are no more marines option 5 will be greyed out.

XENON

2 TP's
2 M7M's

dbrowdy
x3tc

Post by dbrowdy » Fri, 28. May 10, 16:25

For grins yesterday, I set up a side save and started trying to TP cap a friendly cobra. In about 10 attempts I think I got one marine on once. Obviously he didn't make it thru the hull. Then I checked and realized it had hull polarization so I reloaded (again) and went looking for another target.

I found a likely looking kraken with much fewer defenders so started working on him. For the life of me, I couldn't get any of my marines on board.

Tried piloting my M6 and using the piracy menu on the TP, tried piloting the TP and using the piracy and the drop all commands. Nothing seemed to work, I just couldn't get my marines ON to the stupid target. So I got frustrated and bought a cobra. :evil:

I'm about done trying to figure it out, but now I have this stupid pride thing telling me that I HAVE to figure it out, even though I don't need to.

So any tips on getting the positioning right for dropping the marines? Getting in front of an M7 that likes to turn a lot doesn't seem to be working well and the autopillock definitely doesn't work.

EDIT - Oh and I was just trying to do it with ONE TP for now before I go for two.

Hamakua
x4

Post by Hamakua » Fri, 28. May 10, 17:43

dbrowdy wrote:

So any tips on getting the positioning right for dropping the marines? Getting in front of an M7 that likes to turn a lot doesn't seem to be working well and the autopillock definitely doesn't work.

EDIT - Oh and I was just trying to do it with ONE TP for now before I go for two.
20% of capping a free range M7M is is positioning when you release your marines. The other 80% is luck that their dispersal will be close enough to "catch". The reason for this is because M7M's like to bolt away from marines. The also have horrible turning rates and this doesn't help as even if they are coming back around heading to you, it takes the arc of the earth torus.

Generally, you need to get it the first time, and with two TP's it's especially difficult as you need to get it right, twice, and get lucky twice.

A few things that might help. I sometimes eject single units of Ecells, the NPC ai avoids cargo like nothing else. Find the "Sweet spot" with one TP before you try two for your given mark.

Each time I go to cap a new target I need to try a few times to find out what works. Just because launching marines on a Aggy's back (because he has a very tight turning circle) doesn't mean it's the best technique for a cobra or M7M.

Learn your keyboard shortcuts inside and out.

The way mine are set up "Shift-c, 5, enter, enter, enter"

As far as M7's that like to turn a lot, they are easy. Just dump your marines in a concentrated area and let him come to you, while keeping his shields low. Use yourself as bait and put the marines between you and him.

dbrowdy
x3tc

Post by dbrowdy » Fri, 28. May 10, 19:54

Hamakua wrote: 20% of capping a free range M7M is is positioning when you release your marines. The other 80% is luck that their dispersal will be close enough to "catch". The reason for this is because M7M's like to bolt away from marines. The also have horrible turning rates and this doesn't help as even if they are coming back around heading to you, it takes the arc of the earth torus.

Generally, you need to get it the first time, and with two TP's it's especially difficult as you need to get it right, twice, and get lucky twice.

A few things that might help. I sometimes eject single units of Ecells, the NPC ai avoids cargo like nothing else. Find the "Sweet spot" with one TP before you try two for your given mark.

Each time I go to cap a new target I need to try a few times to find out what works. Just because launching marines on a Aggy's back (because he has a very tight turning circle) doesn't mean it's the best technique for a cobra or M7M.

Learn your keyboard shortcuts inside and out.

The way mine are set up "Shift-c, 5, enter, enter, enter"

As far as M7's that like to turn a lot, they are easy. Just dump your marines in a concentrated area and let him come to you, while keeping his shields low. Use yourself as bait and put the marines between you and him.
Some good advice. It's good to know I'm not being a complete tard, it's just 80% luck. I have the worst luck of anyone I know (seriously, ask anyone I know!) so it doesn't surprise me that this isn't working. I'll give it a few more tries, but really if it's that luck-influenced, I'll just stick with buying a cobra and stealing the rest with pods.

Gruber1232002
x3

Post by Gruber1232002 » Fri, 28. May 10, 21:24

dbrowdy wrote: It's good to know I'm not being a complete tard,
Trust me, that's a common feeling for me too.

I had a rough time getting my first M6's. I went from Nova Raider -> P. Osprey -> P. Centaur -> HCP by spacewalking. I think I capped around 15 M6's that way. At first I was convinced it would never happen, but as I learned some tactics it got to be 'fairly' easy.

The problem (from my perspective) is that things are rarely intuitive, and the AI (your own TP's/fighters) don't usually do what you think they should do. But with stupid amounts of practice you'll figure out how to trick the AI into doing what you want.

For example, when spacewalking M6's I don't bother trying to land the marines on the target. I fry off the weapons, dump the marines and set the throttle to -10. The result is that the M6 starts to circle me while the marines give chase. The marines will end up inside the circle and since they have a smaller radius to travel they will eventually catch up and board. It would make far more sense if the TP just dropped them in front of the target, but that never ever happens. So you have to adjust your tactics accordingly.

I would say that it's possible, but don't kid yourself that it will be easy. It's going to take some experimenting and patience, but it's feasible. I can't say when, but I intend to 2 TP spacewalk an M7M at some point. I'll post the results here when it happens.

XENON

2 TP's
2 M7M's

dbrowdy
x3tc

Post by dbrowdy » Fri, 28. May 10, 21:31

Gruber1232002 wrote: For example, when spacewalking M6's I don't bother trying to land the marines on the target. I fry off the weapons, dump the marines and set the throttle to -10. The result is that the M6 starts to circle me while the marines give chase. The marines will end up inside the circle and since they have a smaller radius to travel they will eventually catch up and board. It would make far more sense if the TP just dropped them in front of the target, but that never ever happens. So you have to adjust your tactics accordingly.
Might try this out and see how it goes. Use a M6 with IonD's (note to self: figure out which M6 supports them and where to get them) and 5 marines to start with. I guess you're not too worried about frying the shields on an M6 since their recharge rate is already relatively high. If that works, try it with an M3 and a TP dropping the soldiers.

I do want to do a restart at some point just to see how it goes now that I know more what I'm doing. It'd be fun to steal all my ships instead of wasting all that money buying them. ;)

dbrowdy
x3tc

Post by dbrowdy » Sat, 29. May 10, 05:27

Sorry for the double post, but I have a quick question. My Skiron can mount IonD's but it can also mount IPG's. Is there any reason to use one over the other for dropping shields and frying componentry on a ship I'm gonna board?

StarTroll
x4

Post by StarTroll » Sat, 29. May 10, 05:33

IPG and ID are totaly different, ID is really special with it's electric arc, IPG is like a weaker IC, chargeable shots with not so fast velocity.
SCUM : They may exceed you in number, but not in value.

dbrowdy
x3tc

Post by dbrowdy » Sat, 29. May 10, 05:34

StarTroll wrote:IPG and ID are totaly different, ID is really special with it's electric arc, IPG is like a weaker IC, chargeable shots with not so fast velocity.
Ahhhh, okay so I'll stick with IonD. Thanks!

Gruber1232002
x3

Post by Gruber1232002 » Sat, 29. May 10, 05:55

dbrowdy wrote:
StarTroll wrote:IPG and ID are totaly different, ID is really special with it's electric arc, IPG is like a weaker IC, chargeable shots with not so fast velocity.
Ahhhh, okay so I'll stick with IonD. Thanks!
The strength of the Ion-d is the incredibly low hull damage. Every 'hit' once the shields are depleted has a chance of damaging weapons and/or components. Ion-d lets you 'hit' the hull many more times without significantly damaging it. Nobody likes to sit for ages repairing stuff. And of course if you use stronger weapons you may kill the target before removing what you need to...

XENON

2 TP's
2 M7M's

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”