[Script] Power Matrix Transfer System (PMTS) [v0.4]

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

Sam L.R. Griffiths
x4

[Script] Power Matrix Transfer System (PMTS) [v0.4]

Post by Sam L.R. Griffiths » Sun, 2. May 10, 00:17

Currently at release 0.4

Downloads
Please see my blog over on TXU for the formal release of my mod.

[ external image ]

[ external image ]

Related LinksOverview
The Power Matrix Transfer System was initially developed during an unprecedented level of co-operation between the Commonwealth races during the Kha'ak war. The system was designed to allow a pilot to exchange shield energy for weapon energy and visa versa.

Game Resources Used
  • Commands
    • [1249] COMMAND_TYPE_SHIP_49 (CPLS Command Console - COMMAND_TYPE_SHIP_RLSG_PMTS)
    Strings
    • 17:250200-250299
    New Data Files
    • director\md.rlsg.pmts.xml
      t\2502-L044.xml
      scripts\plugin.rlsg.pmts.buy.pmts.xml
      scripts\plugin.rlsg.pmts.buy.repair.xml
      scripts\plugin.rlsg.pmts.buy.retailer.xml
      scripts\plugin.rlsg.pmts.buy.salesman.xml
      scripts\plugin.rlsg.pmts.buy.upgrade.xml
      scripts\plugin.rlsg.pmts.check.level.xml
      scripts\plugin.rlsg.pmts.check.limit.xml
      scripts\plugin.rlsg.pmts.main.xml
      scripts\plugin.rlsg.pmts.manual.xml
      scripts\plugin.rlsg.pmts.news.xml
      scripts\plugin.rlsg.pmts.price.xml
      scripts\plugin.rlsg.pmts.ware.cmd.xml
      scripts\plugin.rlsg.pmts.ware.cmd.dec.xml
      scripts\plugin.rlsg.pmts.ware.cmd.inc.xml
      scripts\plugin.rlsg.pmts.ware.cmd.start.xml
      scripts\plugin.rlsg.pmts.ware.cmd.stop.xml
      scripts\plugin.rlsg.pmts.ware.cmd.sitrep.xml
      scripts\plugin.rlsg.pmts.ware.key.xml
      scripts\plugin.rlsg.pmts.ware.key.dec.xml
      scripts\plugin.rlsg.pmts.ware.key.inc.xml
      scripts\setup.plugin.rlsg.pmts.xml
Last edited by Sam L.R. Griffiths on Sat, 29. May 10, 18:06, edited 3 times in total.
Lenna (aka [SRK] The_Rabbit)

"Understanding is a three edged sword... your side, their side... and the Truth!" - J.J. Sheriden, Babylon 5 S4E6 T28:55

"May god stand between you and harm in all the dark places you must walk." - Ancient Egyption Proverb

"When eating an elephant take one bite at a time" - Creighton Abrams

creidiki
xr

Post by creidiki » Mon, 3. May 10, 09:21

This is interesting.

Thoughts:

The level 1-6 mechanic seems a little clunky. Suggestion: no upgrades as such, but after the ware is bought/acquired and on ship, it must be installed/initialized which wires money to Spririt Industries (pay for ship-unique online activation key :roll: :p ). Use that to make big ships pay more. See below for idea.

Use a single multi-press button to switch between OFF/SHLD->LSR/LSR->SHLD.

Expand it to the full Freespace gamut of
  • Engine -> Shield/Laser
  • Shield/Laser -> Engine
  • Shield -> Laser/Engine
  • Laser/Engine -> Shield
  • Laser -> Shield/Engine
  • Shield/Engine -> Laser
You can get ship speed/laser gen/shied gen in a script IIRC. So use those values (with ship class as multiplier) to get the limit in energy/sec for function, as well as activation license cost.
I am not as think as you drunk I am.

Sam L.R. Griffiths
x4

Post by Sam L.R. Griffiths » Sun, 9. May 10, 01:10

Thank you for your feedback.

The Engine part is a bit of a strange territory and outside of the bounds of the lore associated with this mod. There is another mod by s9ilent that does what you are suggesting to a degree (See the link in my OP). I will not be changing this, a similar effect to what you are suggesting can be achieved via combining this script with the Split Engine Booster from the Bonus Pack.

WRT the Level 1-6 mechanic, it is intended to provide flexibility while keeping the script as simple and maintainable as possible. The level side of things limits the maximum wattage of the throughput of the system (latter I may come up with a better naming convention but for now it will stay as Level 1 to n until the final balance has been ratified). BTW The manuals included in the in-game encyclopedia should deal with the explanation of the levels of system capability.

Status Update
V0.2 Release

"Understanding is a three edged sword... your side, their side... and the Truth!" - J.J. Sheriden, Babylon 5 S4E6 T28:55

"May god stand between you and harm in all the dark places you must walk." - Ancient Egyption Proverb

creidiki
xr

Post by creidiki » Thu, 13. May 10, 22:15

Fair enough WRT: keeping it simple :)

And now that my HD works again, I can properly test this.

creidiki
xr

Post by creidiki » Mon, 17. May 10, 02:34

Hmmm.

Finally made may way down to OTAS HQ, and I got a message about how Spirit Industries was sorry I wasn't interested, etc.

But I never did get asked whether I wanted to install it or not :(

Sam L.R. Griffiths
x4

Post by Sam L.R. Griffiths » Mon, 17. May 10, 08:35

creidiki wrote:Hmmm.

Finally made may way down to OTAS HQ, and I got a message about how Spirit Industries was sorry I wasn't interested, etc.

But I never did get asked whether I wanted to install it or not :(
Must be Pilot Error, I have a copy of the distributed script installed in a separate game area and confirmed that the script is working. I have tried the different possible permutations of going through the message screens and they do work.

Sounds like you got the initial or follow on message and then rejected the offer OR you tried to buy the system with insufficient credits in your account (100,000 Cr for the initial system - which is stated in the offer messages).

When you buy the system it will NOT appear as installed equipment and if you have it installed it will not be offered. You can tell if it is already installed by trying to use the PMTS Console short cut or by attempting to access the PMTS Console from a ship with BOTH the PMTS Upgrade and Fight Command Software Mk II installed

Note that the PMTS is not transferable either.

EDIT: Also you only get offered the system once per docking event (simply transfering ships while docked will not trigger the offer again).

EDIT #2: Try undocking and redocking with the station, you should get the follow on offer.

creidiki
xr

Post by creidiki » Mon, 17. May 10, 10:19

That's the thing, I didn't get the offer, and I didn't buy it.

I will double-check that installation is correct and re-dock.

creidiki
xr

Post by creidiki » Sat, 22. May 10, 14:44

Well, I don't know what changed but when I docked in an M3 instead of an M4/M5 I got the proper offer instead of a blank message.

I've given it a good usage. My thoughts, apart from balancing which will take longer, is that *) The upgrade menu needs to have class size in the upgrade line *) You need subtitle feedback when you change the distribution.

Sam L.R. Griffiths
x4

Post by Sam L.R. Griffiths » Sat, 22. May 10, 14:59

creidiki wrote:Well, I don't know what changed but when I docked in an M3 instead of an M4/M5 I got the proper offer instead of a blank message.
Class of ship is not checked so any such issues you encountered are probably down to user error. :gruebel:
creidiki wrote:I've given it a good usage. My thoughts, apart from balancing which will take longer, is that
Will lookforward to your feedback on balancing. :D
creidiki wrote: *) The upgrade menu needs to have class size in the upgrade line
Hmmm... the class size is rather academic as it depends on the ship capabilities (did you check the manuals put in the Encyclopedia as the buying "Thank you" notice indicated?) but I will consider providing the wattage limits in the upgrade menu against each upgrade level.
creidiki wrote: *) You need subtitle feedback when you change the distribution.
Will look into adding an audio acknowledgement bleep and/or a subtitle message.

Sam L.R. Griffiths
x4

Post by Sam L.R. Griffiths » Sat, 22. May 10, 22:12

Status Update
V0.3 Release including changes made as a result of feedback to date.

creidiki
xr

Post by creidiki » Sun, 23. May 10, 00:06

Ok first thing, wow quick response! Updating now.

Re: Class feedback :: Oh I know to be perfectly matched you should check your shield and laser values ... but unless you use a mod that gives spreadsheets for that, its not that convenient ... yes, I know I'm lazy, but so are most people ;)

You said you don't want to tune the running levels based on ship stats, but how about limiting the upgrade levels available based on ship stats?

-----

My first thought on balancing is that the 100% efficiency is fine at low levels of redirection, but it should decrease as you go higher.

I've never turned it up nearly as high, but I think 50% efficiency at 100% redirection is probably a good starting value. Of course I'm not talking a linear thing, quadratic will probably do the trick?

I think ~100% efficiency is fine up to oh, 25-30%? and then it should start to drop off, so that you can use the PMTS to adjust your ship's offence/defence balance on the fly, but you can't do silly things like double you weapons/shield recharge.

Iunno, just shooting out figures based on gut feelings here, I need to play more with different classes to get something more definite, but right now I'm flying a Skiron, and redirecting 50% shield to weapons makes it a little silly for corporate missions ...

Sam L.R. Griffiths
x4

Post by Sam L.R. Griffiths » Sun, 23. May 10, 02:51

creidiki wrote:Ok first thing, wow quick response! Updating now.

Re: Class feedback :: Oh I know to be perfectly matched you should check your shield and laser values ... but unless you use a mod that gives spreadsheets for that, its not that convenient ... yes, I know I'm lazy, but so are most people ;)
The script does in-essence provide this information in the form of the in-game manual/encyclopedia. It seems to be impossible for a script to be able to determine the weapon recharge rates for any given ship without deriving it from real-time data thus the current quoting of performance limits is probably the best that can be done for now.

However, the in-game manuals (available from the in-game encyclopedia) should be sufficient to provide the user with enough in-game information to be able to make an informed decision about what level of system they require. Failing that, the user can always use trial and error by upgrading the system in steps till the performance is at the level required (minising the need to RTFM).

As a counter to your request for highlighting class information for each performance level, it should be noted that doing so would provide very little benefit relative to the amount of effort/resources required to implement what you suggest. Thus any such additional information will be provided through one mechanism only... the in-game manuals.
creidiki wrote:You said you don't want to tune the running levels based on ship stats, but how about limiting the upgrade levels available based on ship stats?
Lower levels of performance are basically pointless as the class/perfmance of your ship gets higher and the Higher levels are not sustainable as actual performance of the system is restricted by the recharge rates of the ship.

The nominal 6 levels of performance are based on the shield capacities for the relevant ships.
  • Level 1 = 100kW = 10% of a 1MJ shield per second
    Level 2 = 500kW = 10% of a 5MJ shield per second
    Level 3 = 2.5MW = 10% of a 25MJ shield per second
    Level 4 = 20MW = 10% of a 200MJ shield per second
    Level 5 = 100MW = 10% of a 1GJ shield per second
    Level 6 = 200MW = 10% of a 2GJ shield per second
Of course, this has biggest effect when transfering shield energy to weapons (draining the available shields to power the weapons) since shield energy is typical many times bigger than available weapons energy. Given this, only 10% of the shield energy drained is actually passed on to the weapons resulting in the following additional weapon recharge boosts.
  • Level 1 = 10kW = about 30% increase over the typical M5 for a typical sacrifice of upto ~3% of their shields per second
    Level 2 = 50kW = about 100% increase over the typical M4 for a typical sacrifice of upto ~3% of their shields per second
    Level 3 = 250kW = about 150% increase over the typical M3 (or about 125% increase over the typical M3+) for a sacrifice of upto ~3% of their shields per second
    Level 4 = 2MW = about 400% increase over the typical M6 (or about 200% increase over the typical M6+) for a sacrifice of upto 2-3% of their shields per second
    Level 5 = 10MW = about 1250% increase over the typical M1 (or about 625% increase over the typical M7) for a sacrifice of upto 1-2.5% of their shields per second
    Level 6 = 20MW = about 500% increase over the typical M2 for a sacrifice of upto 2-3% of their shields per second
As you can probably tell from this the balance is not as simple as a curve. From the above M7s and M1s get the biggest gain for the lowest perceived sacrifice where as fighters are reasonably consistent in their performance. I personally like the balance as is but I will think on it and try to come up with a compromise.
creidiki wrote:My first thought on balancing is that the 100% efficiency is fine at low levels of redirection, but it should decrease as you go higher.
Efficiency of Shields --> Weapons is already 10% regardless of the class (this was value was reached during play testing of the CPLS). Only the redirection of Weapons --> Shields is 100% efficient and continued performance of the PTMS is restricted by what is sustainable by the ship it'self. For instance, your system might have an upper transfer limit of 200MW but if your ship only has a 5kW weapon generator then the shield recharge rate will be only 5kW after the weapon batteries are exhausted.
creidiki wrote:I've never turned it up nearly as high, but I think 50% efficiency at 100% redirection is probably a good starting value. Of course I'm not talking a linear thing, quadratic will probably do the trick?

I think ~100% efficiency is fine up to oh, 25-30%? and then it should start to drop off, so that you can use the PMTS to adjust your ship's offence/defence balance on the fly, but you can't do silly things like double you weapons/shield recharge.
The 100% redirection is in fact a utilization limit based on the system installed (See the new Sit Rep and status subtitle text as it now reports the effective rate of shield drain).
creidiki wrote:Iunno, just shooting out figures based on gut feelings here, I need to play more with different classes to get something more definite, but right now I'm flying a Skiron, and redirecting 50% shield to weapons makes it a little silly for corporate missions ...
Depends on your oponents, your aiming accurancy, your ability to dodge incoming fire, what weapons you are using, etc.

For some M6s the PMTS may appear to make them unbalanced (but the question is... were they balanced in the first place?). Like the CPLS, the PMTS will not appeal to all players, and I must admit that my target audience is the CPLS balance type people. With that in mind, the balance is intended to be consistent with the CPLS.

At this time the PMTS does not sustain any damage under any circumstances and I have not yet come up with a sensible damage policy yet (still thinking on it but it is this area that is likely to be the prime target for balancing - or something similar). I will probably implement a first cut of this kind of balancing in the next release (damage may or may not be implemented in the same way as the CPLS).

TiggerBandit
x3

Post by TiggerBandit » Sun, 23. May 10, 08:07

well I downloaded the spk version, and I cant get past the 100,000 offer.
It is hard to soar like an eagle, when you are surrounded by Turkeys.

Sam L.R. Griffiths
x4

Post by Sam L.R. Griffiths » Sun, 23. May 10, 10:01

TiggerBandit wrote:well I downloaded the spk version, and I cant get past the 100,000 offer.
Please explain what you mean by "can't get past".

Edit #1: I have verified that the contents of the SPK file is the same as the ZIP file. I have also verified that the ZIP file version works as advertised. I have also checked the system works with M5, M3, and M1 class. This script should be compatable with most other mods/scripts... I have verified it on 2.6 with BP and my CPLS script and AWRM mod.

Q1) Did you have 100,000 Cr in your ship account at time of purchase?

Q2) Do you have Fight Command Software Mk. 2 installed in the ship? (Required in order to access the "PMTS Console" from "Additional Commands" for the affected ship - only way of accessing the console while docked as Hot Keys only work while not docked)

Q3) Have you set up the Hot Keys for quick in flight access (Fight Command Software Mk. 2 not required)

Edit #2: I have just double checked and if you read the in-game PMTS manuals as indicated indicated in the Thank You message (available from the Encyclopedia under the "Information" category) then you Q2 and Q3 are explained there.

TiggerBandit
x3

Post by TiggerBandit » Mon, 24. May 10, 06:55

Q1) Did you have 100,000 Cr in your ship account at time of purchase?
I sure did

Q2) Do you have Fight Command Software Mk. 2 installed in the ship? (Required in order to access the "PMTS Console" from "Additional Commands" for the affected ship - only way of accessing the console while docked as Hot Keys only work while not docked)
yes I made sure my M1 was fully equipped before I docked.
I assume if I didnt have FCS 1 + 2 I wouldnt have got the first offer ?

Q3) Have you set up the Hot Keys for quick in flight access (Fight Command Software Mk. 2 not required)
Yes I have set up hotkeys for activate, inc weaps, inc shields

and by get past, I mean I dock, get the 100,000 offer, undock and fly away and redock and get the 100,000 offer again.

Sam L.R. Griffiths
x4

Post by Sam L.R. Griffiths » Mon, 24. May 10, 07:42

TiggerBandit wrote:and by get past, I mean I dock, get the 100,000 offer, undock and fly away and redock and get the 100,000 offer again.
Being offered the PMTS when you dock at the specific stations and don't have the PMTS fitted regardless of if you have been offered it before is intended behaviour.

Q1) Did you accept/reject the first offer? (or are you getting multiple offers in your Inbox?)

TiggerBandit
x3

Post by TiggerBandit » Mon, 24. May 10, 09:15

Wow, you reply fast, you must be on my side of the planet.

In every ship I docked with, I got the offer.
In every ship I docked with, I accepted the offer.
In every ship I docked with after accepting the first offer, I got the same offer again. (100,000 offer). M2 +M1 + M3 +M5
I understood I should have got the 2nd offer (sorry not sure of price) when I docked again after accepting the first offer.
Perhaps I came back too soon ?
or perhaps I did not have PTMS active when I docked 2nd time, I will check that I had it active tonight and report back.

Sam L.R. Griffiths
x4

Post by Sam L.R. Griffiths » Mon, 24. May 10, 23:15

TiggerBandit wrote:Wow, you reply fast, you must be on my side of the planet.

In every ship I docked with, I got the offer.
In every ship I docked with, I accepted the offer.
In every ship I docked with after accepting the first offer, I got the same offer again. (100,000 offer). M2 +M1 + M3 +M5
I understood I should have got the 2nd offer (sorry not sure of price) when I docked again after accepting the first offer.
Perhaps I came back too soon ?
or perhaps I did not have PTMS active when I docked 2nd time, I will check that I had it active tonight and report back.
Ok... if I understand this correctly...
  • 1. Docked with M2
    2. Got offer to install PMTS on M2
    3. Accepted offer to install PMTS
    4. Repeated steps 1-3 for M1, M3, and M5
    5. Redocked with the M2/M1/M2/M5 used above and was expecting another offer
If this is an accurate interpretation then, step 5 is incorrect.

You will be offered the PMTS upgrade for ship X (once per docking event involving ship X and the relevant stations) until you have accepted the offer to install PMTS on ship X.

Once this is done, for each subsequent docking event beyond the acceptance you will not be offered it again as it is already installed.

In order to upgrade after the initial purchase you need to access the PMTS Console while the given ship is docked at ANY station and the PMTS is not active.

creidiki
xr

Post by creidiki » Tue, 25. May 10, 00:24

... but its doing it. Everytime I dock at OTAS HQ its offering to install PMTS on my ship - which already has it installed.

I like the status feedback, now I don't have to try (and fail) to remember where the power's going. :)

Sam L.R. Griffiths
x4

Post by Sam L.R. Griffiths » Tue, 25. May 10, 00:56

Roger L.S. Griffiths wrote:
TiggerBandit wrote:...
Ok... if I understand this correctly...
  • 1. Docked with M2
    2. Got offer to install PMTS on M2
    3. Accepted offer to install PMTS
    4. Repeated steps 1-3 for M1, M3, and M5
    5. Redocked with the M2/M1/M2/M5 used above and was expecting another offer
If this is an accurate interpretation then, step 5 is incorrect.
Ok, I found a small bug that means that if you don't have level 2 or above installed then the offer gets generated again (not a real bug - just annoying)... Will be fixed for the next release... in the mean time you can simply ignore the second offer if you have not upgraded to level 2 or above yet.

EDIT: Fixed this bug and a bug with the system being offered again while an offer has still to be acknowledged and will be included in the pending 0.4 release. Bugs considered minor so will hold off on release probably till the weekend.

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude - Scripts and Modding”