X3 Online experience coming June 1st, yes it's magic!

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

So would you really want multiplayer with all the consequences involved?

Poll ended at Wed, 16. Jun 10, 14:30

I understand the consequences and yes I still would!
25%
I understand the consequences and actually no I wouldnt!!
59%
I didn't read it properly. I need beating with a stick.
16%

Total votes: 154

NUKLEAR-SLUG
x3tc

X3 Online experience coming June 1st, yes it's magic!

Post by NUKLEAR-SLUG » Mon, 17. May 10, 14:30

Thread #478223 (for Carlo indexing purposes)

After reading the umpteen-billionth multiplayer thread by yet another clueless noob (bless their little polyester socks!) without the first inkling as to the technical requirements of implementing it a thought occurred. Not directly related to the multiplayer notion, more as a result of reading many, many other threads on a variety of things.

So yes, by act of Handwavium(tm) all technical/logistical and monetary concerns are insta-vanished as if by magic. (Which, to be fair, is pretty much the only way it's going to happen anyway) and the next Steam update to 2.7 will include multiplayer support in a persistent X-universe. Hell, we'll even say it's free!

So the question is: Would you actually want to play in a persistent universe?Now I'm sure the first response for a lot will be Ooh, ooh yes! But think about it a little more. The reason I'm asking is a general perception I've picked up from my many thread readings and it might be one I'm misreading, but maybe not.

Most will I'm sure recall the whole DiD thing that sparked a little interest a while back which broadly centred around the notion of applying 'consequences' to actions. Lose a ship? Unfortunate, bite the bullet and move on etc. Take the loss accept the outcome. It's my perception this isn't a common feeling. I see a lot of threads along the lines of 'I capped a Q!' only for it to be revealed on further reading that this staggering achievement was the result of only having to hit reload a mere 56 times.

Well that's fine and all, but a persistent online universe is going to be much more along the DiD lines. No shortcuts, no reloading when your favourite marine trips over his own grenade on an empty M6 and frags himself. No going back when you realise a rampaging Q has single handedly wiped out a destroyer patrol and half your UT fleet about two hours ago. Pick a fight with something (or someone) you shouldn't and you'll regret it.

My thought is the community might like the idea of a multiplayer universe, but I get the impression the majority wouldn't really like the actuality of dealing with the repercussions.

Kor'ah
x4

Post by Kor'ah » Mon, 17. May 10, 14:35

heh...I would play just to obliterate peeps complexes with an M8 when they're offline. :)
[X3] Guide to training CAG and CLS1&2 pilots
[X3T] Guide to training CAG and CLS1&2 pilots in Terran Conflict

The mercenary code
There is no right or wrong.
There is no good or evil.
There is only the will of the client, and how much they're paying.

SIMON POPPLEWELL
x3tc

Post by SIMON POPPLEWELL » Mon, 17. May 10, 14:39

I'm firmly in the camp of re-loading if I lose my fleet to a single Q! Maybe if the OOS combat was sorted out then maybe I would consider it.

Dantrithor
x3tc

Post by Dantrithor » Mon, 17. May 10, 14:39

Kor'ah wrote:heh...I would play just to obliterate peeps complexes with an M8 when they're offline. :)
I would not play for this very same reason.

amtct
x3ap

Post by amtct » Mon, 17. May 10, 14:41

Kor'ah wrote:heh...I would play just to obliterate peeps complexes with an M8 when they're offline. :)
I prefer to steal ships so you'd be in danger online or offline :twisted:

enenra
x4

Post by enenra » Mon, 17. May 10, 14:46

I was seriously tempted to vote #3 but I was able to resist it. :D

Personally, I think that the game as it is, online, wouldn't work. But that is not possible anyway. Thus, we can assume that a online game in the X universe would be vastly different and as such I'm sure that it would get enjoyable as there would most likely be things in place to prevent anything overly demotivating happening to players - like loosing something important but not being able to do anything about it because of being offline. :)

amtct
x3ap

Post by amtct » Mon, 17. May 10, 14:50

enenra wrote:I'm sure that it would get enjoyable as there would most likely be things in place to prevent anything overly demotivating happening to players - like loosing something important but not being able to do anything about it because of being offline. :)
Those things that will prevent that from happening will make my victory more inportant :wink:

ezra-r
x4

Post by ezra-r » Mon, 17. May 10, 14:53

next egosoft game, which which will be announced sooner rather than later (nobody told me, I just figured it out) will not be online, so... :P

Infekted
x3tc

Post by Infekted » Mon, 17. May 10, 14:56

If you fixed the amount of annoying random stuff that happens and it could work. Any game that you can jump into a sector and completely through no fault of your own appear inside another ship pretty much requires reloading.
If that was fixed MP could be possible (ignoring financial and technical considerations).
Personally I would not be interested in a full time, online accessable to everyone universe. Its too small for starters.
I would really like to be able to play multiplayer with a few friends tho.

One thing that occurred to me was SETA. Would not be possible in MP games.

brucewarren
x3tc

Post by brucewarren » Mon, 17. May 10, 15:08

Dead really is Dead?
Game over when you hit a 'roid or clip a gate?

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrgh No, Make it stop

<runs screaming from the room in terror>
Last edited by brucewarren on Mon, 17. May 10, 15:12, edited 1 time in total.

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by Cycrow » Mon, 17. May 10, 15:12

enenra wrote:I was seriously tempted to vote #3 but I was able to resist it. :D
damn, and i had my stick all ready too :P

silenced
x4

Post by silenced » Mon, 17. May 10, 15:19

I voted #1, since griefing is still the most fun in Onlinegames, although being griefed from time to time. Who cares! The fun is important.
... what is a drop of rain, compared to the storm? ... what is a thought, compared to the mind? ... our unity is full of wonder which your tiny individualism cannot even conceive ... I've heard it all before ... you're saying nothing new ... I thought I saw a rainbow ... but I guess it wasn't true ... you cannot make me listen ... I cannot make you hear ... you find your way to heaven ... I'll meet you when you're there ...

amtct
x3ap

Post by amtct » Mon, 17. May 10, 15:24

ezra-r wrote:next egosoft game, which which will be announced sooner rather than later (nobody told me, I just figured it out) will not be online, so thanks God me and my empire will be safe from amtct's brilliant strategy of playing this game
Corrected :twisted:

SIMON POPPLEWELL
x3tc

Post by SIMON POPPLEWELL » Mon, 17. May 10, 16:09

silenced wrote:I voted #1, since griefing is still the most fun in Onlinegames, although being griefed from time to time. Who cares! The fun is important.
Man you must like pain, all those hassles, flying through a gate into the back of a ship, autopillock and OOS combat just to name a few. :roll:

QRHCooper
x3

Post by QRHCooper » Mon, 17. May 10, 16:43

Dont we already have online space sim in "EVE" ??

have played both, and to be honest i prefer X universe simply due to the fact i dont/didnt have the time or patence for EVE, so gave up a substansual fleet and rep to play X3 when i want not when i have to! :)

ezra-r
x4

Post by ezra-r » Mon, 17. May 10, 17:46

amtct wrote:
ezra-r wrote:next egosoft game, which which will be announced sooner rather than later (nobody told me, I just figured it out) will not be online, so thanks God me and my empire will be safe from amtct's brilliant strategy of playing this game
Corrected :twisted:
I just started the game as bankrupt assasin... there is not such thing as a empire in my game :twisted:

Captain CAVEMAN!!!
x3tc

Post by Captain CAVEMAN!!! » Mon, 17. May 10, 17:54

I actually never really reload anymore i have a large fleet and i must say i find flying into a sector and charging into enemy lines to be completely oblitterated is fun. it adds to the feeling of the game and i must say i enjoy the last stand situation while your TL's evac stations and civilliand and your m7's and m2's sit from afar blasting their gauss cannons across the sector.

but rant aside i must say that i am prepared to live with the concequences involved in a online X universe

ezra-r
x4

Post by ezra-r » Mon, 17. May 10, 17:56

Captain CAVEMAN!!! wrote:
but rant aside i must say that i am prepared to live with the concequences involved in a online X universe
I am really afraid of this turning into another eve-online kind of community.. rather have it single player really.

brucewarren
x3tc

Post by brucewarren » Mon, 17. May 10, 18:14

Where's the option for those who have read the post, but still want the stick?

Infekted
x3tc

Post by Infekted » Mon, 17. May 10, 18:18

brucewarren wrote:Where's the option for those who have read the post, but still want the stick?
That option is go stand in the corner you bad bad person :lol:

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”