Looking to stay un-modified

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

konstans
x4

Looking to stay un-modified

Post by konstans » Tue, 4. May 10, 03:10

I know this may sound silly but since not all 'enhancements' affect the game in a cheat-like manner, some will not make your game modified. I would just like to find all of the ones I could potentially use to get steam achievements... which seem to only work if you are not **modified**.

Is there an easy way to find a list of enhancements that fit this criteria? The search was not very helpful. =)

OOZ662
x4

Post by OOZ662 » Tue, 4. May 10, 03:23

The Bonus Pack includes the only scripts that are guaranteed to not mark your game as modified. There may be a couple mods, but generally you can assume that anything that changes the game in any way that could possibly bias it toward one player vs another will mark the save.

Come to think of it, I think the mods that change just graphics (RealSpace, Immersive Backgrounds, Low Poly Roids) might not mark as modified.

UniTrader
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by UniTrader » Tue, 4. May 10, 06:08

here a List with the files which shouldn't be changed to stay modified-free (this list could be outdated because it was for 2.0 or 2.5, but i have currently no actual one):

L/x3story.obj
L/true/gamestarts.xml

t/conversations.xml

director/mdfiles.txt

maps/x3_universe.xml
maps/x3_universe_debris.xml
maps/x3_universe_2.0.xml
maps/WareTemplate.xml

types/Animations.txt
types/Bodies.txt
types/BodyData.txt
types/Components.txt
types/CutData.txt
types/Dummies.txt
types/Effects.txt
types/Flight.txt
types/Globals.txt
types/IconData.txt
types/IconTypes.txt
types/Jobs.txt
types/JobWings.txt
types/Lensflares.txt
types/LightTypes.txt
types/Matches.txt
types/Materials.txt
types/Particles3.txt
types/sounds.txt
types/TAsteroids.txt
types/TBackgrounds.txt
types/TBullets.txt
types/TCockpits.txt
types/TDebris.txt
types/TDocks.txt
types/TDocksWrecks.txt
types/TFactories.txt
types/TFactoriesWrecks.txt
types/TGates.txt
types/TLaser.txt
types/TMissiles.txt
types/TPlanets.txt
types/TShields.txt
types/TShips.txt
types/TShipsWrecks.txt
types/TSpecial.txt
types/TSuns.txt
types/TWareB.txt
types/TWareE.txt
types/TWareF.txt
types/TWareM.txt
types/TWareN.txt
types/TWareT.txt
types/VideoLists.txt
types/Videos.txt
types/WareLists.txt
types/hq.xml
if not stated otherwise everything i post is licensed under WTFPL

Ich mache keine S&M-Auftragsarbeiten, aber wenn es fragen gibt wie man etwas umsetzen kann helfe ich gerne weiter ;)

I wont do Script&Mod Request work, but if there are questions how to do something i will GLaDly help ;)

konstans
x4

Post by konstans » Tue, 4. May 10, 07:56

Thanks for the quick replies.

Hmm... so that means that I have to:
A) Test each one
B) Find which files they include
C) Just stick with vanilla + bonus pack...

I really liked having the advanced factory building mod, or factory cruncher, but I guess My factories will remain a mess... which sucks for the hub plot. :)

argon_emperor
x4

Post by argon_emperor » Tue, 4. May 10, 08:45

General rule of thumb, if the script/mod requires the script editor to be enabled to work (which incidentally is probably 99% of scripts available, and probably most mods too), then it WILL mark your game as modified. In each of the threads for the mods it will say whether the script editor needs to be activated. If it says it does, it'll give you the modified tag... if it says you don't... then there's a chance it won't.
[ external image ]
***modified***
"You can get more of what you want with kind words and a gun, than you can with just kind words" - Al Capone

NyxStele
x3tc

Post by NyxStele » Tue, 4. May 10, 12:11

Low poly (or invisible) complex model doesn't modify.

NumericRanks has an alternative (non-spk) install method that can keep you unmodified.

Those are the only couple I know of for sure that I have used within the last week.

I was trying to do the same, but there are other really helpful and not game breaking mods like 500km comm range, that I just can't seem to play without at this point. Not worth achievements to me. Oh well.

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by Cycrow » Tue, 4. May 10, 14:49

the only ones that dont modifiy your game, or need the game to be modified to be used, are the purely cosmetic mods, ones that just change the graphics/text.

no unsigned scripts nor md files can be used in an unmodified game

qcncr

Post by qcncr » Sat, 10. Mar 12, 13:41

Does anyone know If I use scripts and get a "modified tag" does it disable any in game plots?

Thanks

X2-Illuminatus
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)
x4

Post by X2-Illuminatus » Sat, 10. Mar 12, 16:14

No, using scripts doesn't disable the ingame plots. Nevertheless scripts may cause problems with the plots depending on what they do. For example destroying plot relevant objects may cause a plot to hang somewhere. If your unsure, whether a script causes issues with plots, ask in the respective script's topic.
Nun verfügbar! X3: Farnham's Legacy - Ein neues Kapitel für einen alten Favoriten

Die komplette X-Roman-Reihe jetzt als Kindle E-Books! (Farnhams Legende, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko, X3: Hüter der Tore, X3: Wächter der Erde)

Neuauflage der fünf X-Romane als Taschenbuch

The official X-novels Farnham's Legend, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko as Kindle e-books!

apricotslice
x4

Post by apricotslice » Sun, 11. Mar 12, 05:01

Basically, to be blunt, you either mod or you dont.

If you do, you get a modified game and thats it for comparing game stats and achievements.

I've not run an unmodified game since X2. And I consider the achievements listed in steam as the biggest joke I've seen all year.

My suggestion is run vanilla and get your achievements, then get serious about your modding and forget the modified tag is even there like most of us here.

You cant have your cake after you've eaten it. So go eat it, then come back and remake a new cake thats better. :D

kurush
x3tc

Post by kurush » Sun, 11. Mar 12, 06:18

apricotslice wrote: You cant have your cake after you've eaten it. So go eat it, then come back and remake a new cake thats better. :D
I kind of like my cake with signature validation disabled :P That XTreme in fight takes a while, playing all that time without 500km com range mod and several scripts that are essentially bugfixes would drive me nuts.

apricotslice
x4

Post by apricotslice » Sun, 11. Mar 12, 06:22

kurush wrote:
apricotslice wrote: You cant have your cake after you've eaten it. So go eat it, then come back and remake a new cake thats better. :D
I kind of like my cake with signature validation disabled :P That XTreme in fight takes a while, playing all that time without 500km com range mod and several scripts that are essentially bugfixes would drive me nuts.
I prefer my cake with sprinkles of different colours, and the removal of some of what I consider very stupid ingredients.
:lol:

LV
Sith Lord
x3tc

Post by LV » Sun, 11. Mar 12, 09:42

LV's TC Scripts
Readme's For All My Scripts

I felt a great disturbance in the forum, Like millions of voices cried out in terror, then were silenced

si tacuisses, philosophus mansisses

xTemon
x3tc

Post by xTemon » Mon, 12. Mar 12, 02:26

There are no mods which will not turn your Steam AP or TC game to modified. False patch mods used to be fine in X3R, but it doesn't work for Steam games.

I believe it is because Steam logs all the Cat files contents on install and for every update and for bonus packs. I tried a few very basic mods myself-start xml and a jobs mod that was available-and the game went modified automatically.

Essentially, I found that any tampering with game-files was noted and considered modified; even the most basic and least game-changing, such as the simple change of pictures for start portraits. Nothing even remotely game-changing there, but it went modified anyway, so it definitely keeps track of everything which makes sense.

Only Vanilla AP/TC and bonus pack are available, or you will be modified. :P

kurush
x3tc

Post by kurush » Mon, 12. Mar 12, 03:04

xTemon wrote: Essentially, I found that any tampering with game-files was noted and considered modified;
Vanilla-friendly mods such as enhanced complex hub worked just fine with AP without setting you as modified. And that was before I disabled signature validations in my game ;) I don't think Steam has anything to do with the modified tag (well, except the game code disabling achievements, but this is not really steam).

xTemon
x3tc

Post by xTemon » Mon, 12. Mar 12, 06:07

I don't know how Vanilla friendly the Enhanced Complex Hub is, or anything about it really, but I don't see how an added Cat with some Pics in it, or a pck slightly modified and dropped in the right folder is potentially less vanilla friendly.

I think I tried a few ways to add things without losing Steam achievements, and dropped everything but the pictures at the last, which had the same names as the originals and were I believe loaded into the original Cat file.

If you've had success though, then I guess it works somehow; just not any way I did it. I wasn't trying particularly hard either and gave up without much effort as it wasn't that important for me to have any success at it anyway.

Didn't know you could disable signature verification.. weird.

kurush
x3tc

Post by kurush » Mon, 12. Mar 12, 06:20

xTemon wrote:Didn't know you could disable signature verification.. weird.
if you are determined enough :lol:

I think there is a fixed list of files where X checks signatures. That includes all scripts, director files, files mentioned in x3files.xml. There might be something else of course.

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude - Scripts and Modding”