[TC] Can't Scan Pirate Base for Terran Mission

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Cereal_Killa
x3tc

Can't Scan Pirate Base for Terran Mission

Post by Cereal_Killa » Sun, 4. Oct 09, 10:30

I'm doing the Terran Conflict mission "Terran Recon, An Unusual Alliance" and it requires that I "Scan: Pirate Base" however I have no idea how to scan it. I presumed i could click the station and then 'scan' in the menu but there is no such option and when i go to 'information' it has no additional info.

I have the Freight Scanner, Mineral Scanner, Bioscanner and Triplex Scanners installed and still nothing.

Please help :?

maphys
x3tc

Post by maphys » Sun, 4. Oct 09, 10:37

Just get really close - within 500m of the centre of the station (not the targeting point, the actual model centre) and the scan will start automatically. You have to stay there as well while it completes.

M

Cereal_Killa
x3tc

Post by Cereal_Killa » Sun, 4. Oct 09, 23:29

oh thanks

btw thats really odd. any idea why it works differently to every other scanning mechanic in the game?

would be ok if you were given some kind of warning on how to do it in the mission.

mabye something to fix in the upcomming patch, either just make it a normal scan, or add in some dialogue when you get close to the station on what to do.

i was 300m away from the stations targeting point for a good 10mins trying to get it to work, zoning in and out of the sector, restarting, buying addittional scanners and upgrades :evil:

Venutian

Post by Venutian » Sun, 4. Oct 09, 23:47

It gives you an excuse to get on here and meet the helpful folks.

Ulan Dhor
x3tc

Post by Ulan Dhor » Mon, 5. Oct 09, 06:25

Just a hint: In a later mission, you will even be told "You are near enough". It's a blatant lie :D.

trcanberra
x3tc

Post by trcanberra » Sun, 2. May 10, 03:25

maphys wrote:Just get really close - within 500m of the centre of the station (not the targeting point, the actual model centre) and the scan will start automatically. You have to stay there as well while it completes.

M
I would second the vote for this to be updated in a patch. Took me ages and numerous deaths - especially given this is a fairly early mission in the Terran arc and is labeled as 'easy'.

perkint
x3tc

Post by perkint » Sun, 2. May 10, 03:32

It should tell you in the briefing something like, "We've installed a temporary scanner - it'll work automatically, when you get near enough". The number of people this has caused confusion for, it really could do with pointing out how to do it...

I think all plot mission required scans work this way, unless they explicitly tell you you need a piece of equipment...

Tim
Struggling to find something from the forums - Google it!!! :D

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Sun, 2. May 10, 08:17

I suspect it works this way because there was a mission in X3:R where you had to scan a factory, and there was someone in the cockpit giving you a running commentary of what you had to do in order to do it. The mission writers probably thought everyone who had X3TC would also have had R and would remember the process!

SoliDeoGloria
x3tc

Post by SoliDeoGloria » Sun, 2. May 10, 13:35

Greetings!

I am new to the game and am struggling with this stage of the mission as well.

I can't seem to stay alive long enough to complete the scan.

I am flying the original M4 Sabre that I started the game with - with full rudder and engine upgrades.

I am now wondering if I should have saved the M5 I was given - is that required to complete the mission properly?

Thanks for your help!

perkint
x3tc

Post by perkint » Sun, 2. May 10, 14:22

An M5 is not required, but certainly a fast ship (which yours might do if it's fully upgraded) gives you another way of completing it.

In a fast ship, you can fly towards the base and when bad guys come after you, run away! Let them follow you until they are a reasonable distance from the base. Then turn around, blast past them and run back to the base. So long as your ship is a fair bit faster than theirs (and you ran far enough) you should be able to scan the base before they get back.

Alternatively, they may string out whilst chasing you, in which case you might be able to take them on, one at a time and just destroy them.

Tim
Struggling to find something from the forums - Google it!!! :D

Baddieus
x4

Post by Baddieus » Sun, 2. May 10, 14:30

One thing of note, earlier in the Terran plots, you are asked to scan a Jump Beacon. I didn't the first time through, and it does not appear to be a requirement, but that beacon in Neptune will do the scanning thing same as the pirate base if you get close enough, then it will switch from blue to red for you to kill it.

First time through I shot that beacon quickly to keep more Xenon from jumping in.

SoliDeoGloria
x3tc

Post by SoliDeoGloria » Sun, 2. May 10, 19:42

Baddieus wrote:One thing of note, earlier in the Terran plots, you are asked to scan a Jump Beacon. I didn't the first time through, and it does not appear to be a requirement, but that beacon in Neptune will do the scanning thing same as the pirate base if you get close enough, then it will switch from blue to red for you to kill it.

First time through I shot that beacon quickly to keep more Xenon from jumping in.
That's what I was hoping you would say!

The ship is faster than the pirates - 275 m/s I believe - I will try your suggestion get them pulled several dozen km off the ship and then go back and scan.

SoliDeoGloria
x3tc

Post by SoliDeoGloria » Sun, 2. May 10, 21:06

That worked!

Now I have my first wing - the wonderful thing about being a noob is it's ALL exciting!

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”