Dead is Dead (DiD) and other After Action Report (AAR) threads

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Dead is Dead (DiD) and other After Action Report (AAR) threads

Post by CBJ » Thu, 18. Feb 10, 10:58

We have reached the point where the popularity of these threads mean that they are taking up a significant amount of the available space on the front page of the main X-Universe forum. At the same time the content within them has moved from very much game-related to, in some cases, complete fiction. When the first few of these threads appeared and had half the forum reading them they made a very positive impact, both as encouragement for new players and as inspiration for more experienced players who were starting to get bored. With so many of them now, though, the impact has been diluted rather and may actually be starting to have the opposite effect, possibly even putting new players off from posting "normal" questions and discussions!

We have no intention of discouraging people from posting such threads, but the time has come to rescind the exception we made for Dead is Dead/After Action Report style threads in the main X-Universe forum. From now on, all such threads should be posted in the Creative Forum. Existing threads of this kind in the X-Universe forum will be moved over as and when the moderators get the time. Anyone wishing to create an index to these DiD/AAR threads is welcome to do so, and if the creator makes a commitment to maintain that index then it would make an excellent sticky thread for the Creative forum.

Please note that you are also still welcome to submit your threads for inclusion in the "Ultimate X resource" sticky thread, but that to qualify they will normally need to be both significant in length and also contain material that is useful to new players.

Captain Chris sTc
x4

Post by Captain Chris sTc » Thu, 18. Feb 10, 18:39

That mean that their all automaticly gonna be moved to the creative index?

also is there gonna be a seperate index for them somewhere?

RyuKazuha
x3tc

Post by RyuKazuha » Thu, 18. Feb 10, 19:00

Most of them where already moved. There's a List of DiDs made by dragondream over in the creative forums.

And if a mod reads: Mind to make the mentioned thread a sticky?

Captain Chris sTc
x4

Post by Captain Chris sTc » Thu, 18. Feb 10, 19:24

That's ok then i'll have to try and not add them to the creative universe index then.

Fendalis
x3

Post by Fendalis » Thu, 18. Feb 10, 23:40

Huh. I figured they all just died off after NS finished his latest (and arguably greatest).

Personally I couldn't get the hang of the ones where people kept adding their own random characters to this mix anyway. Ah well. I'll wander over and see which ones are still running.
Welcome to Rev-Co
http://rev-co.net

"If something seems too good to be true it's better to shoot it just in case."

RyuKazuha
x3tc

Post by RyuKazuha » Thu, 18. Feb 10, 23:55

Obviously wrong figure. They where alive and well, many of them in many different styles. The only ones that unfortunately died out where Nuke's.

LordForrester

Post by LordForrester » Fri, 19. Feb 10, 17:37

well I am afraid that without a sticky in the main Forum DiDs will die.

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Fri, 19. Feb 10, 17:43

LordForrester wrote:well I am afraid that without a sticky in the main Forum DiDs will die.
Oh dear.... Sounds like a case of Dead is Dead IS Dead... :)

If people subscribe to the threads they've been following I am sure they'll have a long and healthy life still
“Man, my poor head is battered,” Ed said.

“That explains its unusual shape,” Styanar said, grinning openly now. “Although it does little to illuminate just why your jowls are so flaccid or why you have quite so many chins.”

“I…” Had she just called him fat? “I am just a different species, that’s all.”

“Well nature sure does have a sense of humour then,” Styanar said. “Shall we go inside? It’d not be a good idea for me to be spotted by others.”

Captain Chris sTc
x4

Post by Captain Chris sTc » Fri, 19. Feb 10, 18:01

LordForrester wrote:well I am afraid that without a sticky in the main Forum DiDs will die.
So they could have a notice saying that DiD's should be written in the CU and a link to the index of them or some thing like that?

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Fri, 19. Feb 10, 18:04

There are too many sticky threads in the main X-Universe forum as it is, but a link to the index from the existing Ultimate X Resources thread would be a possibility. However I really don't think the prophecy of doom for these threads is warranted. As long as people are interested in writing them and other people are interested in reading them, they will continue. Indeed one of the side-benefits of moving them should hopefully be to encourage more people to visit the Creative forum.

Lord Dakier
x4

Post by Lord Dakier » Fri, 19. Feb 10, 18:18

I agree with this action. DiD and AAR's are simple stories taken from ones saved and stories go in the creative forum. With such a large impact from DiD there should still be some mention of it in the X Universe forum. Maybe joining some stickies together such as guides and latest patches. Maybe removing the uplink competition now that its over.

You could also have this DiD thread inside the guides. Making it a guides and user based rules thread. Nothing to flashy is needed just some cut & paste (C&P)

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Fri, 19. Feb 10, 18:40

From my perspective, and I know the world has been waiting anxiously for this announcement, I'd be more likely to use my extensive literary talents to start a DiD story in the Creative Universe Forum than here.

Come on, that in itself makes it all worthwhile... :roll:
“Man, my poor head is battered,” Ed said.

“That explains its unusual shape,” Styanar said, grinning openly now. “Although it does little to illuminate just why your jowls are so flaccid or why you have quite so many chins.”

“I…” Had she just called him fat? “I am just a different species, that’s all.”

“Well nature sure does have a sense of humour then,” Styanar said. “Shall we go inside? It’d not be a good idea for me to be spotted by others.”

Lord Dakier
x4

Post by Lord Dakier » Fri, 19. Feb 10, 18:49

Well I dont think enough people pay attention to the creative universe. There is alot of goodwork there so with even the most famous DiD's in there it may gain a bit more popularity.

EmperorJon
x3tc

Post by EmperorJon » Sat, 20. Feb 10, 12:47

The Creative Universe is definitely the most unlooked-at forum, I feel yet another death of one of my DiDs... (Which is already stumbling on it's last legs, I mean, come on! I tried the whip and everything!)

:wink:

I hope my loyal (ish) fans will still look at it, and that the DiDs being moved will now lead the the creative universe being more... populated? Yes.
______
I'm Jon. I'm mostly not around any more. If you want to talk, please message me! It's cool.
______

LordForrester

Post by LordForrester » Sun, 21. Feb 10, 15:10

The only way any DiD works is new people finding them. With a link in the main forum new people will find them. Putting it in the guide would probably work.

EmperorJon
x3tc

Post by EmperorJon » Sun, 21. Feb 10, 15:25

How many people look in the guide stickies, come on! :lol:
______
I'm Jon. I'm mostly not around any more. If you want to talk, please message me! It's cool.
______

RyuKazuha
x3tc

Post by RyuKazuha » Sun, 21. Feb 10, 15:28

The only chance to get some attention up here would be links in the sig and some prayers. :P

X2-Eliah
x4

Post by X2-Eliah » Sun, 21. Feb 10, 15:37

Err. I'd say that if a person does not want to read any more DiDs/AARs, then a list/sticky/guide would be worthless to him here.
And if a person, on the other hand, wants to read those things, he himself will go to the Creative forums and see if there are new things.

EmperorJon
x3tc

Post by EmperorJon » Sun, 21. Feb 10, 15:39

The only chance to get some attention up here would be links in the sig and some prayers.
:twisted:
Err. I'd say that if a person does not want to read any more DiDs/AARs, then a list/sticky/guide would be worthless to him here.
And if a person, on the other hand, wants to read those things, he himself will go to the Creative forums and see if there are new things.
Yes, but the point is only people who know that they exist, and know that they're over in Creative will bother.

Creative is the most dead forum on here! :lol:
______
______

Lord Dakier
x4

Post by Lord Dakier » Sun, 21. Feb 10, 19:14

Yeah well DiD are popular and they do appeal to newcomers so I suggest having them in the guides sticky and mentioning it in the read here before posting.

DiD's really are guides into how other players tackle situations as such.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”