[SCRIPT] Change Notoriety Growth Rates - Slow Notoriety by Wercho

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

wercho
x3tc

[SCRIPT] Change Notoriety Growth Rates - Slow Notoriety by Wercho

Post by wercho » Thu, 11. Feb 10, 00:00

v1.00
Date: 02/10/2010
Author: Wercho

Slow Notoriety

Download v1.0

Required: Cycrow's Plugin Manager
Recommended: Cycrow's Community Plugin Configuration

Hey y'all, this is my first published script so feedback would be appreciated.

Description
Are you tired of being the Hero of the Federation before you can blink? Are you frustrated that a few missions is all it takes to gain level after level of notoriety with a race? Then this is the script for you!

Or.... do you want to gain notoriety faster? We can do that. Do you want lose it slower? faster? We can do that too.

This script package adds the ability to slow (or quicken) the rate of growth of race notoriety. It is fully configurable through the in game menus, and allows selection of the growth rate for each race individually, as well as separate rates for races that are enemies to you, and separate rates for growth and loss of notoriety. It will also log notoriety changes if you so desire.

Accessing the Menu
With Cycrow's Community Plugin Configuration, just select the menu through that.

Otherwise, you will need to go to the AL plugin menu, and disable then re-enable the plugin. The menu will start anytime the Slow Notoriety plugin is enabled.

In the menu, you can select a notoriety adjustment rate for each race separately, and different rates when you are a friend or enemy to them. You can also select different rates for loss of notoriety.
Menu Screenshot 1
Menu Screenshot 2

Suggested uses:
Slowing notoriety growth for the main races (default settings)
Increasing notoriety loss for the main races to make it harder
Setting notoriety change for a race to 0 for roll playing purposes

Installation
1. Install with Cycrow's Plugin Manager.
2. Go to the AL plugin menu (Options - Gameplay - AL plugins) and enable "Slow Notoriety"
3. This will bring up the configuration menu, where you can select rates for each race.

Uninstall
1. Uninstall with Cycrow's Plugin Manager

How it works
This script stores your notoriety values as global variables. Every 1 minute, it checks your in-game notoriety against the stored values. It multiplies the difference by the appropriate percentage, and then adjusts your in-game notoriety accordingly. Changes are written to the log file at this time.

As a result, after notoriety gains there will be up to a three minute period before the plugin takes effect and reduces or increases your notoriety with that race. Also, the "You have lost notoriety." sound does not play when the plugin adjusts your notoriety level. Thus, you could gain a notoriety level only to later find you're back at the previous level. Please be aware of this and let the plugin do its thing.

Acknowledgements
Special thanks to LV, Cycrow, and ScRaT_GER for their excellent tutorials on AL plugins, general scripting, and creating menus respectively.

\t Files
8980-L044.xml (page file is also 8980)

wercho
x3tc

Slow Notoriety by Wercho - Permission

Post by wercho » Thu, 11. Feb 10, 00:05

These scripts are free to be reused in your scripts/mods as long as you say thank you in your topic.

Deadbeat_Spinn
x3tc

Post by Deadbeat_Spinn » Thu, 11. Feb 10, 00:13

Nice. :thumb_up:

I always thought ranking up in TC was just a little too fast, I was used to the R increase.

You mention that this works for the main races, does this also work for the Corporations as well?

klaatu
x4

Post by klaatu » Thu, 11. Feb 10, 00:17

Interesting. May have to give it a try soon.

Question: why do you call it "Slow Notoriety" if it can actually speed it up as well? :)

Any chance on being able to do the same for trade and combat rank too? Now those I'd really like to be able to adjust!

Anyway, thanks for this, and keep up the good work!
"It's so simple. No, wait--it's needlessly complex!"
- Homer Simpson
You need this!: Cargo Delivery Service

wercho
x3tc

Post by wercho » Thu, 11. Feb 10, 00:39

No, it does not work for corporations. I'd like to add that, but I haven't found any script commands for accessing corporation rank.

The same goes for trade and fight rank. I (and many others) would like to slow down combat rank especially, but that is apparently hard coded and not accessible by scripts..... though I have seen a bit about increasing them through the mission director.

Anybody know if it is also possible to reduce combat/trade rank through the mission director?
What about corporation notoriety?

As for the name, I originally started working on it to slow the notoriety growth, then expanded the scope. And it needs some catchy name if people are going to remember it.

Deadbeat_Spinn
x3tc

Post by Deadbeat_Spinn » Thu, 11. Feb 10, 01:22

I pretty sure it's either the Mission Director or the Script Editor that can affect the Combat/Trade ranks, though I might be thinking of Cycrow's Cheat Package.

As for the Corporations, IDK, I've been looking around but I think the only things I found had to do with the MD/SE.
And it needs some catchy name if people are going to remember it.
How about, Twisting the Dial of Noteriety? :)

I had one but it had "spin" in it and I'd probably catch flak for it since it's part of my name.

Thrandisher
x4

Post by Thrandisher » Thu, 11. Feb 10, 03:55

Very nice idea. Always wanted something like this.
The mongrels will never get over THIS wall.

Shadow_Wolf33
x3tc

Post by Shadow_Wolf33 » Thu, 11. Feb 10, 04:34

I set the increase in rep gain for both friendly and enemy to 1000% for the sake of testing, and I'm pretty sure I'm not seeing a 1000% increase in rep gain.

This is regarding gaining rep through missions, or is it only combat that this effects?

EDIT: Nevermind, I'm stupid and didn't enable the mod in the AL settings, I just used the menu in the Plugin Configurations screen. Excellent script now that it works! :lol:
Last edited by Shadow_Wolf33 on Fri, 12. Feb 10, 04:36, edited 1 time in total.

Carlo the Curious
x4

Post by Carlo the Curious » Thu, 11. Feb 10, 06:45

Corporation ranks can be changed in the SE - 'set mission rank' or something similar. However, if the rank hasn't already been initialised by the MD then you'll get wierd results.

Lord Dakier
x4

Post by Lord Dakier » Thu, 11. Feb 10, 12:23

This is quite purely genius,

Very usefull I should imagine to DiD players.
Imagine this on a larger scale though, race relations for different races.

wercho
x3tc

Post by wercho » Thu, 11. Feb 10, 19:00

Deadbeat_Spinn wrote:How about, Twisting the Dial of Noteriety? :)
"It goes to eleven."

I do like 'Notoriety Dial'. I may change the name.

Shadow Wolf: I tested it myself and it worked. It should work for all notoriety gain, because it doesn't trigger on specific events, it just checks past value against current value and adjusts the notoriety every minute. Could you enable the logfile, and send it to me along with which race you have set and what you did to gain notoriety with them? I'll check it out. Also, you might note that the script increases the actual, behind-the-scenes notoriety number, not the rank. Because the ranks scale exponentially, a 10x increase doesn't lead to 10x rank gain.

Carlo: Thanks for the tip. Maybe I can use the standard "skip if not exists" type check for corps.

Dakier: I've just gotten into DiD myself, and its pretty fun. You are suggesting I expand it to include changing the notoriety from say Argon to Split so that they get angry with each other slow or faster? I could do that, but does the notoriety between the races actually change much? I know some mods and AL plugins probably do that, but I don't think vanilla does. And the AL plugins are generally balanced for themselves. Of course, more options for the player usually doesn't hurt.

Sorkvild
x3tc

Post by Sorkvild » Thu, 11. Feb 10, 19:19

Awesome! I've been looking forward for such script, I dont like current rank progress. Way too fast, few dumb missions passed and here we go as the Argon Federation top ace. In X3R par example we had our rep status was painfully slow, and if we mess up our rep with the Paranids there was no way to improve it except the "donation", 500.000Cr always make things easier :D

My suggestion, is this the final version ? Have you been thinking about applying this idea into both trading and fighting ranks ? IMO, fighting rank goes too fast as well :/
Elite Dangerous| I survived the Dragon Incident ... then I took an arrow to the knee
We want the Boron back!

Lord Dakier
x4

Post by Lord Dakier » Fri, 12. Feb 10, 12:56

Sorkvild wrote:Awesome! I've been looking forward for such script, I dont like current rank progress. Way too fast, few dumb missions passed and here we go as the Argon Federation top ace. In X3R par example we had our rep status was painfully slow, and if we mess up our rep with the Paranids there was no way to improve it except the "donation", 500.000Cr always make things easier :D

My suggestion, is this the final version ? Have you been thinking about applying this idea into both trading and fighting ranks ? IMO, fighting rank goes too fast as well :/
Trade and Fight ranks are hardcoded.

Ketraar
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Ketraar » Fri, 12. Feb 10, 13:04

Lord_Dakier wrote:Trade and Fight ranks are hardcoded.
If you mean they can not be influenced, well then its not true ;-)

Code: Select all

<reward_player>
  <fightrank exact="rank19"/>
</reward_player>

<reward_player>
  <traderank exact="rank3"/>
</reward_player>
MFG

Ketraar

wercho
x3tc

Post by wercho » Fri, 12. Feb 10, 17:13

Yeah, I've been fiddling around with the MD lately, and I've got an MD script working similar to this one but for combat and trade ranks. I need to test it some more before posting, but it should be coming soon.

Sorkvild
x3tc

Post by Sorkvild » Sat, 13. Feb 10, 00:11

Lord_Dakier wrote:
Trade and Fight ranks are hardcoded.
Oh bummer, I didn't know that.
Elite Dangerous| I survived the Dragon Incident ... then I took an arrow to the knee
We want the Boron back!

wercho
x3tc

Post by wercho » Sat, 13. Feb 10, 03:40

Hey, I finished my other script that adjusts combat/trade rankings the same way this one does for notoriety.
Check it out here: Link

Familiar
x3tc

Post by Familiar » Mon, 17. May 10, 10:12

wercho, I'm so glad I've found these two!

Excellent job!
After reunion I was disappointed with ranks and notoriety jumping up so fast.
I put it both on 33% grows from original, thank to wercho again!

You need to place it in community script library!

Requiemfang
x4

Post by Requiemfang » Wed, 26. May 10, 02:21

Hmmm an interesting script... but I got a question.

Why did my Teladi rank drop from 7 down to 5 over a few hours :o

is there something in the script that enables you to lose notoriety over time? like combat rank?

Edit: I think I understand it now... though I think you should go into more detail about what this script does with it's settings, the ones provided don't seem to give enough information about the rates of gain and loss

Familiar
x3tc

Post by Familiar » Wed, 26. May 10, 06:42

Requiemfang

This script does exactly as described - no additional notoriety loss. Works excellent
If you use Improved Races - it has option to do so (true relations or something)
I did not notice, as Terrans started to hate me because of my Teladi trade operations. Assuming the fact, that teladi grows 33% rate and terran loss 100%, soon enough I'll be hated by all races at once :)
So I turned off this option.

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude - Scripts and Modding”