A Little Question And Theory

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

Lord Dakier
x4

A Little Question And Theory

Post by Lord Dakier » Thu, 4. Feb 10, 05:26

So we all know that the X games dont support multiplayer however could we possibly and theoretically be wrong.

Now let's say we have the player race who plays for 24 game hours. Now we move all the player assets and funds to one of the spare race slots leaving us with nothing.

Second game day gone player 2 has moved all their posessions to another race slot.

Third game day player 3 has done the same

Game day 4 player 1's property and account is all restored from a race slot to the players posession.

Matterom
x4

Post by Matterom » Thu, 4. Feb 10, 05:29

i believe the races are hard coded but i could be wrong
My Mods:
Sector Administration: A Tax Mod

Serial Kicked
x3tc

Post by Serial Kicked » Thu, 4. Feb 10, 09:27

What you are proposing could be compared to a hot-seat turn based game. Yes it's possible and not particularly difficult to implement.

It's basically a loop that, each 24h, will switch [player] assets with [race1] then with [race2] and so on. We could "save" ship orders by halting them with a high priority "standby" command that automatically stop when ownership is restored to [player]. Relationship, money, and (most) other stats can be saved for each player into global variables.

The issues i can see about this idea :

- We can't really "pause" ships during fights. So these ships has to be deleted, teleported, whatever on player switch

- Fighter/Trader ranks can't be saved (well they can be, but they can't be altered through script)

- As i wouldn't recommend to switch inactive players to a race slot that's used by an NPC faction (would probably be buggy), there is only 2 unused race slots left in the vanilla game. However it's possible to make a custom map/jobfiles without Yakis, Xenons or whatever other faction.

- A certain amount of fair-play is needed from the players here, like: "do not destroy inactive assets from other players".

There's probably a bunch more, but they are probably minor.

So, yes, it's a valid "multiplayer" project :)

edit: added details.
X3:TC/AP Pirate Guild 3 - Yaki Armada 2 - Anarkis Defense System

Anarkis Gaming HQ
Independent Game Development
X3 Scripting and Modding Station

Killjaeden
x3tc

Post by Killjaeden » Thu, 4. Feb 10, 10:57

Teladi Profit and a couple of other guys already did that in the german forum.
iirc there was a anouncement for a new (english) round in the english forum but i don't know where or the outcome.
[ external image ]
X-Tended TC Mod Team Veteran.
Modeller of X3AP Split Acinonyx, Split Drake, Argon Lotan, Teladi Tern. My current work:

Lord Dakier
x4

Post by Lord Dakier » Thu, 4. Feb 10, 12:04

I genuinly wasn't planning on embarking on an atlantic multiplayer adventure but it just crossed my mind.

In that sense it would be alot easier to make than complaining at having 2000 odd threads pop up a month asking about mulitplayer :P

Serial Kicked
x3tc

Post by Serial Kicked » Thu, 4. Feb 10, 12:19

In that sense it would be alot easier to make than complaining at having 2000 odd threads pop up a month asking about mulitplayer :p
To be honest, that was exactly what i was going to do when i read "multiplayer" in the topic :)

This said, yeah i could publish something along those lines as it apparently doesn't need a lot of work. I won't do it right now as i'm busy with yaki armada and other side projects. So, if anyone else want to give it a try, proceed :p
X3:TC/AP Pirate Guild 3 - Yaki Armada 2 - Anarkis Defense System

Anarkis Gaming HQ
Independent Game Development
X3 Scripting and Modding Station

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude - Scripts and Modding”