X3TC Bonus Pack - Script Submission Details

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

PQTaggart
x3tc

Post by PQTaggart » Tue, 1. Dec 09, 11:08

Suggestion:

What about creating two releases instead of waiting for every script to be in a good shape? I wouldn't mind if there'd be a V1.0 and a V2.0 of a BonusPack. Or even sign and release the most important scripts separately.

My personal opinion is that once your trading empire has reached a certain size, it's very cumbersome to play X3TC without CAG / CLS. Those two scripts (and maybe others) are available for a long time now and are thouroulgy tested for X3TC. Why should they not be signed and released now? Just because others don't get their stuff running? :?

IMHO, I'm also a patient person. I've waited for CAG/CLS to be signed for over 5 months now. I just don't want to get my main game flagged "modified".

Pleeeeeease, give us a little x-mas present - even if it's imcomplete ! :)
Never give up! Never surrender!

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by Cycrow » Tue, 1. Dec 09, 13:11

there has always been seperate releases of the bonus pack, not all scripts or updates will be in the first one, and there will most likly be multiple releases.

one thing thats slowing down the process is the lack of testing in the level 3 forums

kurush
x3tc

Post by kurush » Tue, 1. Dec 09, 19:08

Cycrow wrote:one thing thats slowing down the process is the lack of testing in the level 3 forums
I wonder why ES doesn't do the same thing as with patches: sign an RC version and make it available to L3? This way the would expand the tester base to at least one additional person (myself) :) ...

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by Cycrow » Tue, 1. Dec 09, 19:10

kurush wrote:
Cycrow wrote:one thing thats slowing down the process is the lack of testing in the level 3 forums
I wonder why ES doesn't do the same thing as with patches: sign an RC version and make it available to L3? This way the would expand the tester base to at least one additional person (myself) :) ...
there is, and always has been this available ;)

the L3 Script Testing forums has all the current bonus pack material for testing

amtct
x3ap

Post by amtct » Tue, 1. Dec 09, 20:35

Cycrow wrote:the L3 Script Testing forums has all the current bonus pack material for testing
I think is over an year since its there....should I ask when will be released....I gues NO because the answear will be "When will be released you will see a sticky " :roll:

eladan
x4

Post by eladan » Tue, 1. Dec 09, 22:39

amtct wrote:should I ask when will be released....I gues NO because the answear will be "When will be released you will see a sticky " :roll:
You guess correctly. :)

kurush
x3tc

Post by kurush » Wed, 2. Dec 09, 02:38

Cycrow wrote: there is, and always has been this available ;)

the L3 Script Testing forums has all the current bonus pack material for testing
Is it signed though or will it make my game modified? It was a total surprise for me when I discovered that there is signed patch RC. Could there be another surprise like this?
EDIT:I checked and there appears to be no signature tag in the script files. I assume it is not signed until released. That means I can't run it on a long running game and would have to script everything in just to test it. It does not seem to be a good testing practice...

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Wed, 2. Dec 09, 09:09

kurush wrote:That means I can't run it on a long running game and would have to script everything in just to test it. It does not seem to be a good testing practice...
:?
1. You make a backup of you saves first, naturally.
2. Install scripts to test.
3. Load a game and activate Script Editor.
4. Probably save and reload at least once to make sure everything gets loaded "as usual".
5. Test.
6. Continue playing your vanilla game.

The X3TC beta testing Forum is a rather recent addition. Strange, and yet no wonder, that it has gotten all the attention, while the Script Testing Forum has remained desolate.

But whom to "blame"?

The "hard vanilla" players just wait for the Bonuspack, probably not finding even this thread. The first step towards the scripts is the hard one. But they don't know that without their contribution they perhaps will get nothing.

The S&M community has the skill and knowledge. But they are busy on their own work, and besides, they are quite happy with unsigned content. They already do have the stuff that could go to Bonuspack. There is nothing in BP to wait for or work for, is there?

The "middle ground", who do not fear scripts, but see the "benefit" of contributing towards vanilla? They've been busy with the patch beta testing.

A case example of user, who has not done testing: me.
I don't play X3TC yet. Therefore, I do not know the vanilla game yet. When you do not know what is "normal", you may fail to see when the tested script does "Bad Things". Secondly, I lack that "long running game". Well, one could script the stuff in, but then there is chance that artefacts are due to that scripting, rather than from the test subject. Yes, lame excuses. :oops:

kurush
x3tc

Post by kurush » Thu, 3. Dec 09, 21:19

You make a backup of you saves first, naturally.
2. Install scripts to test.
3. Load a game and activate Script Editor.
4. Probably save and reload at least once to make sure everything gets loaded "as usual".
5. Test.
6. Continue playing your vanilla game.
Most of scripts have to be testing for more than just a couple of hours. You need to keep CAG, CLS and others running for a couple of days to make sure they do what they need and interface with your normal game activities without problems. Also, in X3:TC ES finally came out with stock commands that allow some cheap substitution for CLS (Buy or Sell (-1)). Even for CAG we now have auto-jump but traders tend to always jump to the same trading station and it doesn't work well. CAG alternative is therefore still sadly missing but AI traders fill the gap somehow. The empire building is no longer as unplayable without bonus pack as it used to be in X3:R.

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by Cycrow » Thu, 3. Dec 09, 21:27

one thing your missing thou, is how can you get them to RC phase without any testing ?

RC's are when its already tested and close to release, you cant simply put out a bonus pack to RC and hope it works, so ppl will be willing to test them.

besides, with the beta testing forum for patches, you cant really use the same save games either, not until it gets close to the last RC.

the beta versions are usually modified and not save game compatable with future version.

kurush
x3tc

Post by kurush » Thu, 3. Dec 09, 23:57

I guess if it is not even close to RC, signing could be a bit premature. As far as I know, scripts from bonus pack should not mess up your save games except by making them modified though, so the comparison with a patch RC is not 100% correct.

roadster213
x3tc

Post by roadster213 » Thu, 10. Dec 09, 20:12

Ok so I activated this new account, registered my game, enabled X-DEVNET in profile and now have level 3 access. I want to test out the scripts, but the problem is I still cannot get into the forum; it does not exist for me. Do I have to wait a few days or...?

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by Cycrow » Thu, 10. Dec 09, 21:27

its usually pretty instant, make sure u click the "Forum Index" link, and it should display all available forums, the devnet ones are at the bottom of the list

reiks
x4

Post by reiks » Mon, 25. Jan 10, 16:35

---- Wrong Forum for post ----

BarryScott
x3tc

Post by BarryScott » Thu, 10. Jun 10, 11:56

where would you install the files for the steam version, dont think you can?

andrewas
x3tc

Post by andrewas » Thu, 10. Jun 10, 14:15

By default, you can find the X3TC root folder in program files (x86)/steam/steamapps/common/x3 terran conflict. From there, its exactly the same as modding the retail version.

BarryScott
x3tc

Post by BarryScott » Thu, 10. Jun 10, 14:42

ta got it down fine =]

naza
x4

Post by naza » Fri, 11. Jun 10, 07:20

i send files to email.

spaInfoBefore.rtf of installer4101-2
shield hacker-es.txt of shield hacker readme
turbo booster-es.txt of turbo booster readme

Lothai

Post by Lothai » Sun, 4. Jul 10, 23:14

hey guys i don't know if am out of topic but can someone tell me if this package is compatible with the Ketraar's "enable plots in custom start" mod?

I am asking this cause i play with ketraar's mod and i want to install it too..
with 2.7 version.

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Sun, 4. Jul 10, 23:34

Lothai wrote:hey guys i don't know if am out of topic but ...
Yes you are. The released Bonuspack does have its own threads, including general discussion and questions. However, your question belongs to the thread of Ketraar's creation, as per [url=http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=216696][b]T[/b][b]C[/b] [b]S[/b]&M Posting [b]R[/b]ules[/url].

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude - Scripts and Modding”