[MOD] No Suns

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

Graxster
x3tc

[MOD] No Suns

Post by Graxster » Tue, 21. Oct 08, 21:15

Not sure if anyone would be interested in this, but I figured I'd throw it up here since I already made it for my own use. One of the small annoyances I find in the game is trying to dogfight, read menus, or just plain look at something when I have the glare of the sun and lens flares in my eyes. This mod effectively removes each sector's suns by making them emit no light. Note that you will still see light on objects such as asteroids (they will have a lit side and a dark side). Enjoy!

-Grax

[ external image ]
Last edited by Graxster on Mon, 27. Oct 08, 09:12, edited 1 time in total.

jordan kirwan
x3tc

Post by jordan kirwan » Tue, 21. Oct 08, 21:58

ever here of moveing in a dog fight you should* be followed by the attackers just fly away for a sec or two so that the sun is not blocking your sight
[Insert sig here]

Baleur
x3tc

Post by Baleur » Tue, 21. Oct 08, 23:05

If you could just remove the lens-flares, not the actual glow, i'd be happy. I cant believe they have lens-flares in this game lol. You dont put lens-flares in games or cgi, its something unwanted, artifacts created by crappy camera lenses. They look like shit and its just unrealistic since the only way to see a lens-flare is to have a crappy hand-held camera.
Why would our pilots look through a hand held camera? :)
CPU: Intel i7 6300k RAM: 32gb GPU: nVidia 1070 6gb VRAM

Momiji-chan
x3tc

Post by Momiji-chan » Wed, 22. Oct 08, 01:05

I don't mean to argue as such, but I personally feel it adds to the game and atmosphere, having the sun blind you in a dog fight just makes it realistic, its simple dog-fighting tactics.

ACrazyGerman
x4

Post by ACrazyGerman » Wed, 22. Oct 08, 01:21

I don't mind during a dog fight but I can't read the menu half the time I have to move just to command my fleet

reanor
x4

Post by reanor » Wed, 22. Oct 08, 02:10

I think instead of touching the sun, which is natural if you wanted to know ;), the menus could have adjustable transparancy feature.
“The dark and the light, they exist side by side." ... “It is often in the darkest skies that we see the brightest stars."

Bel-O-Kan
x3tc

Post by Bel-O-Kan » Thu, 20. Nov 08, 00:09

Transparency in X3 reunion menus was adjustable. I don't understand why it's different in TC. Probably later with a patch ?

Realspace
x4

Post by Realspace » Sun, 22. Nov 09, 14:40

I see a pretty use fot this mod. If you create fake suns put on the nebula background, then use your invisible suns just as a light source, means we can finally have suns BEHIND a planet that don't show in front onf it instead! this meas if you make a very big sector) max 4000km unfortunally, you can fly around the planet, this meas also that if you animate the background the sun would move around planet, i.e. the planet seems orbiting around it, unfortunally the source of light would remain fixed

KNT79

Post by KNT79 » Sun, 22. Nov 09, 15:46

Realspace wrote: if you make a very big sector) max 4000km unfortunally,
The engine keeps distance in a single 32 bit variable obviously. So you have 4,294,967,296 length units. The smallest length unit is set to 1 mm which gives you a maximum of about 4,294 km.

Now you can change the size of all the ships, and velocity and linear acceleration values accordingly - make them, say, 10 times smaller. The stations would then be 10 times bigger relatively which is ok I think, or you can change them too. So, if e. g. Titan was 2 km long and 100 m/sec fast, it will be 200 m long with 10 m/sec max velocity. Now you have effectively 42,940 km maximum sector size at the cost of the distance resolution decrease from 1 mm to 1 cm.

The only problem is the HUD. You have to change the displayed distance and velocity values accordingly - it must print 20 km instead of 2 km or 2 km instead of 200 m now. I do not know ATM if it is possible to control the information printed to HUD.
NOT PEACE BUT A SWORD

Realspace
x4

Post by Realspace » Sun, 22. Nov 09, 16:12

I've been struggling with this limit (the 4290km) for so long...and didnt find any solution. So what you say is we have to change ALL MESHES of ALL OBJECTS of tha game to 1/10??? it would be a huge work! or do you know an easier way? :wink:

LV
Sith Lord
x3tc

Post by LV » Sun, 22. Nov 09, 16:14

aha :thumb_up:

I always end up being blinded right in the middle of a complex script then having to save reopen and scroll which when your churning out the amount of code i write can be very annoying indeed.

;)
LV's TC Scripts
Readme's For All My Scripts

I felt a great disturbance in the forum, Like millions of voices cried out in terror, then were silenced

si tacuisses, philosophus mansisses

KNT79

Post by KNT79 » Sun, 22. Nov 09, 16:45

Realspace wrote:So what you say is we have to change ALL MESHES of ALL OBJECTS of tha game to 1/10??? it would be a huge work! or do you know an easier way? :wink:
You can change them to 1/1000 and obtain a 4,294,000 km sector effectively with still acceptable 1 m distance resolution :P If I would start this project I wouldn't change gates, stations, and asteroids, just ships and some junk that has to be comparable to ships in size. Still lots of objects and huge yet simple work.

The good - huge sectors, stations, asteroids.
The bad - huge work and download size, yet unknown but possible issues.

No easier space stretching technology known to me ATM :(
NOT PEACE BUT A SWORD

Realspace
x4

Post by Realspace » Sun, 22. Nov 09, 17:15

I see, changing the size of the meshes is quite aeasy and fast, just a wordpad is needed and maybe a day of work. 1/100 would be the perfect ratio, since 1/1000 would make stations, gates, etc. 1000x bigger!

imagine the terran stations that are already huge...with 1/100 the resulting 400.000km sector is perfect (and realistic!!!) for containing a planet and its moons, but is probably too big for a game, isn't it? we habe to fullfill it with 'something'...routes, hidden objects, secrets behind far away asteroid

and what about such a huge sector, would it give some AI problem with traders, civilians, etc.?

last, the hud change...I prefer the illusion of big space into a small space instead of the contrary...if the hud says 1km instead of 100Km...

but if we scale the game to 1/000 would't it be enough to find a way to make the hud call "m" as "km" and km as ".000 km" ?

KNT79

Post by KNT79 » Sun, 22. Nov 09, 18:15

just a wordpad is needed

:o Change all that mesh data with wordpad? I think import body to 3ds max, uniform scale end export back is far easier. Or maybe I don't know something?

and what about such a huge sector, would it give some AI problem with traders, civilians, etc.?

I am almost sure that there will be no AI problems. What you do is only the ships size change, the sector is the same for the game engine and only seems huge for the player.

Don't know about the HUD, needs investigating.

It seems to me that I have started an offtopic discussion here.
NOT PEACE BUT A SWORD

Realspace
x4

Post by Realspace » Tue, 24. Nov 09, 14:05

:D :D :D yeah mybe too opyimistic... eh eh eh!!
I'm so used to use wordpad since planets and nabulae dont open in Gmax...anyway I tried it and it was easy actually (opened an argon_m5 mesh and changed the value from 4001 to 401, the ship became 10x smaller), the only problem is the ship becomes yes smaller, but the scene remains the same...weird...nano-ship with huge trail behind :D
I think we are OT, mybe let's start a new one on this...

Xenon_Slayer
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Xenon_Slayer » Tue, 24. Nov 09, 14:17

LV wrote:aha :thumb_up:

I always end up being blinded right in the middle of a complex script then having to save reopen and scroll which when your churning out the amount of code i write can be very annoying indeed.

;)
Add SHIFT+Arrow keys to your basic flight controls so you can rotate when in the SE. Also helps if you're on a collision course while in a menu.
Come watch me on Twitch where I occasionally play several of the X games

wga

Post by wga » Fri, 20. Jan 12, 03:15

Hi, I've tried it on AP. It seems not working ?

glenmcd
x3tc

Post by glenmcd » Thu, 5. Jul 12, 09:34

wga wrote:Hi, I've tried it on AP. It seems not working ?
same :(

X2-Illuminatus
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)
x4

Post by X2-Illuminatus » Thu, 5. Jul 12, 09:41

Two possibilites:
1) Extract the Lensflares.pck from the mod's cat/dat and place it in the "types"-folder (if it doesn't exist, create it) of your X3AP "addon"-directory.
2) Repack the mod's cat/dat so that the folder structure within the cat/dat is addon\types\Lensflares.pck
Nun verfügbar! X3: Farnham's Legacy - Ein neues Kapitel für einen alten Favoriten

Die komplette X-Roman-Reihe jetzt als Kindle E-Books! (Farnhams Legende, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko, X3: Hüter der Tore, X3: Wächter der Erde)

Neuauflage der fünf X-Romane als Taschenbuch

The official X-novels Farnham's Legend, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko as Kindle e-books!

glenmcd
x3tc

Post by glenmcd » Thu, 5. Jul 12, 10:00

thanks X2-Illuminatus!
I tried both methods, both worked :)

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude - Scripts and Modding”