[Mod/Patch] X3-Unleashed [RC2] [Aug-06-2010] - X3 Performance gains up to 38%

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

Jaga_Telesin
x4

Post by Jaga_Telesin » Fri, 23. Oct 09, 22:12

Pretty sure I used the 2.1 patched Jobs.txt, which is the same as 2.5 RC3 (i.e. there was none in the 2.5 cat/dat).

After reviewing it, it does appear a certain block of jobs (from 6300 to 6509, 35 jobs) were truncated from the export for some reason. Overall they constitute a very small section of overall flights (some Aldrin, some Xenon, some Terran military). The impact of omitting these isn't high, but I will add them back in for the RC version of Unleashed and have them tweaked for performance. Thanks for the heads up.

Not sure what you mean by changing the classification on Civilians. Generally the only fields edited with XJobs were the quota and sector quota. If you have the field name (or position) so I can look at it, I can compare to the reference jobs.txt file and see what you're seeing.

fragma
x3tc

Post by fragma » Sat, 24. Oct 09, 10:45

It's the third-to-last value in Jobs.txt for each entry. If you compare the end of entries ID6101-6203 you'll see they changed from 1 to 0.

When I first compared the effects of it with the Job Editor I thought it was to do "Ship Type > Classification". On closer inspection though I'm pretty sure I'm wrong there. I can't figure out what that value does...

ThisIsHarsh
x3tc

Post by ThisIsHarsh » Sat, 24. Oct 09, 18:51

I wonder if that value you're on about is the cause of something I see in my game. Namely that all civilian ships no longer have the 'dot' icon and instead have the icon for their shiptype like all non-civ ships.
There are 10 types of people in the S&M forums - those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Black holes are where God divided by zero.

fragma
x3tc

Post by fragma » Sat, 24. Oct 09, 22:17

I think you're right. All the entries with a "1" for that value are civilians who appear with a "dot" next to their ship's name in the game. It confused me at first looking at the Job Editor since all I did was compare that one value.

Now I actually tested it and it seems that 4 of the last 5 values for each entry stands for the ship's classification: "Military;Trader;Civilian;Fighter;0" (the last value has nothing to do with the issue, I just included it to better show the order). If all values are 0 then in Jobs Editor it shows up as "None", which then shows the icon for ship type instead of a dot.

Aragon Speed
x4

Post by Aragon Speed » Sun, 25. Oct 09, 07:12

Jaga, if you want to improve the traders back to almost Vanilla performance without a hit on the FPS, i.e. keeping your current job numbers, then un-tick the 'average speed' flag (or whatever it's exact name is) on the trader jobs. This will cause the traders to fly at the maximum speed their ship is capable of instead of at half (Average) speed. ;)

It has helped us to keep job numbers lower in XTC.

Hellhound47

Post by Hellhound47 » Fri, 30. Oct 09, 17:04

Hey ! I really want to thank you for spending a lot of time on performance issues in TC, it was really disappointed with 'playing quality' compared to Reunion, TC really need some help in managing and saving 'proper' jobs.
I could barely play 'trader game' on my PDC@2,7GHz with sluggish SETA, now I'll try again.

Best wishes :] (I suspect that editing jobs is sooooo boring job, so you have to know you're not doing it only for yourself, and we are grateful, oh yes, we are)

carbonshinigami

Post by carbonshinigami » Sat, 31. Oct 09, 01:58

so silly question but i am too understand this is full compatable with 2.5 i was just woundering because its still classed as a beta

theres my dumb momment for the day :shock:

fragma
x3tc

Post by fragma » Thu, 5. Nov 09, 18:56

It will work with 2.5, but some NPC will be missing:
After reviewing it, it does appear a certain block of jobs (from 6300 to 6509, 35 jobs) were truncated from the export for some reason. Overall they constitute a very small section of overall flights (some Aldrin, some Xenon, some Terran military). The impact of omitting these isn't high, but I will add them back in for the RC version of Unleashed and have them tweaked for performance.
The people here who used this probably didn't miss them at all, so if you need FPS improvement NOW then sure, go ahead and try it. Otherwise just wait for an updated release.

Or you can also manually use notepad to copy&paste the missing lines from the Jobs.txt in 08.cat to the end of which ever version of Unleashed you want. You'll get 99% of the benefits and not worry about missing NPCs.

Algoran
x3tc

Post by Algoran » Sun, 8. Nov 09, 08:37

This looks great, I intend to try it - one question, if I decide the universe is underpopulated or whatever and I want to remove this mod from an existing game, will all the extra vanilla traders etc be respawned and happily go about their duties?

Edit: Sorry, found the answer in the OP :oops:

alt3rn1ty
x4

Post by alt3rn1ty » Sun, 8. Nov 09, 12:34

fragma wrote:It will work with 2.5, but some NPC will be missing:
After reviewing it, it does appear a certain block of jobs (from 6300 to 6509, 35 jobs) were truncated from the export for some reason. Overall they constitute a very small section of overall flights (some Aldrin, some Xenon, some Terran military). The impact of omitting these isn't high, but I will add them back in for the RC version of Unleashed and have them tweaked for performance.
The people here who used this probably didn't miss them at all, so if you need FPS improvement NOW then sure, go ahead and try it. Otherwise just wait for an updated release.

Or you can also manually use notepad to copy&paste the missing lines from the Jobs.txt in 08.cat to the end of which ever version of Unleashed you want. You'll get 99% of the benefits and not worry about missing NPCs.
Does this affect the Terran storyline from starting in some way?, I seem to have something weird going on, I got the invite to land at the Terran station and speak to (ah forgot her name) .. the contact isn't there so early patrols in Terran sectors are not starting for me. I went off to do final fury instead, but having completed that I dont have authority to land at the station anymore.

Manually edit with notepad? Opening a cat file with notepad doesn't work here either, all I get is gobbledegook like I should be using a hex editor instead.

Any news on an update to fix this?

Edit: Forgot to mention I started with the Tormented Teladi start if that makes a difference.

Edit again: Ignore the above, Alls good here with the Terrans now, I think somewhere along the way my Terran rep had decreased, just casually bimbling through heretics and decided to pick off a Kha'ak cluster... Pretty soon after the invite has popped up again.

fragma
x3tc

Post by fragma » Sun, 8. Nov 09, 17:59

You have to use something like X3 ModManager (the X3 Editor can do it too) to open the 08.cat and extract the original types\Jobs.txt first. Do the same for the mod file to get the Unleashed Jobs.txt. Then just use notepad to copy those lines to the Unleashed one, create a new mod catalog and add that new Jobs.txt (remember to use "types" as the folder when it asks). I heard an alternative way for that last step is to simply create a folder named "types" in your TC directory and drop your new Jobs.txt there, but I rather do it the normal way with mods/fake patches.
The Mod Manager also helps you spot incompatibilities between mods, repack mods, and um...yeah, manage your mods :P .

ThisIsHarsh
x3tc

Post by ThisIsHarsh » Sun, 6. Dec 09, 10:49

Phew, almost couldn't find this thread. Needs to be added to sticky.

Just wondering if this current version is final (still says beta)? Are you still working on it?
There are 10 types of people in the S&M forums - those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Black holes are where God divided by zero.

paulwheeler
x3tc

Post by paulwheeler » Sun, 6. Dec 09, 13:49

I've been running this now for quite a long time and I'm beginning to see my economy grind to a halt.

There is a major shortage of resources at weapons factories, especially ore and teladianium. The resource factories are producing and they are all just about full. It just appears that no one is selling the resources on to the weapons factories.

In my game all equipment docks and weapon factories are bare. There are almost no weapons being produced.

Could it be a conflict with 2.5? I have added the missing jobs as stated in the posts above.

I hope there is a way of sorting this as I really like the extra performance this script adds to the game. I don't really want to create a load of UTs just to get the economy going again.

Thanks.

Jaga_Telesin
x4

Post by Jaga_Telesin » Thu, 25. Feb 10, 18:48

ThisIsHarsh wrote:Phew, almost couldn't find this thread. Needs to be added to sticky.

Just wondering if this current version is final (still says beta)? Are you still working on it?
I have not been lately - took a break from gaming to spend time with family. I am considering revisiting this package, finishing it, and perhaps even enhancing it further.

paulwheeler wrote:I've been running this now for quite a long time and I'm beginning to see my economy grind to a halt.

There is a major shortage of resources at weapons factories, especially ore and teladianium. The resource factories are producing and they are all just about full. It just appears that no one is selling the resources on to the weapons factories.

In my game all equipment docks and weapon factories are bare. There are almost no weapons being produced.

Could it be a conflict with 2.5? I have added the missing jobs as stated in the posts above.

I hope there is a way of sorting this as I really like the extra performance this script adds to the game. I don't really want to create a load of UTs just to get the economy going again.

Thanks.
It is of course possible. The important question though, is how many traders do you see flying routes? And, have you completely foregone using any sort of Universe Trader? Most games have at least 5 or so after the player is established, as a steady money stream (which also helps the universe economy).

I did lower trader numbers, but not significantly such that the economy should stall. The congestion at busy gates should have led to faster movement between sectors, and less destroyed ships (in sector) due to traffic accidents. Traders should be flying routes faster, and encountering less fatalities than before.

Feedback from someone else running the package would be helpful in this case. I may just reinstall this afternoon and fire up a new game, and watch what happens in the coming couple of two weeks. I do need to do a fix to Unleashed to add back in the few missing jobs that were omitted (though not critical).

Jaga_Telesin
x4

Post by Jaga_Telesin » Thu, 25. Feb 10, 18:58

Aragon Speed wrote:Jaga, if you want to improve the traders back to almost Vanilla performance without a hit on the FPS, i.e. keeping your current job numbers, then un-tick the 'average speed' flag (or whatever it's exact name is) on the trader jobs. This will cause the traders to fly at the maximum speed their ship is capable of instead of at half (Average) speed. ;)

It has helped us to keep job numbers lower in XTC.
That is an excellent idea Aragon Speed, thank you for the heads up on it. It certainly will help, especially in the larger sectors.

Sticks
x4

Post by Sticks » Tue, 23. Mar 10, 17:03

Not that i want to rush you, but are there any updates in the near future? :)

Jaga_Telesin
x4

Post by Jaga_Telesin » Tue, 23. Mar 10, 17:55

Immediate future (1-2 days), not likely. Near future (1-2 weeks), very possible. I need to get some time away from work and devote it to patching/updating the package. Last couple of weeks have been incredibly busy.

Litcube
xr

Post by Litcube » Sat, 10. Apr 10, 03:12

Reporting in again,

Just an FYI, there are some long reaching effects of this modification.

GOD, X3's system for adjusting stations (removing, adding), becomes pretty active over a long period of time with this jobs file.

I wrote a script some time ago that basically shows the entire Universes market capacity for all wares. After about 250 hours of game time (could have been sooner, didn't check), the market is decreased by a significant amount. As there's not enough traders to keep up demand, GOD starts picking them off, one at a time.

In the begning of the game, market capacity for energy cells (the Universe's largest market) was roughly 181 million credits, and after 250 Universe hours, went down to about 90 million. Roughly half. Other wares, almost all, show a similar pattern.

Perhaps this isn't a bad thing, as the game Universe is clearly adjusting itself, but the jobs file definitely has an effect.

Locksley
x3tc

Post by Locksley » Tue, 13. Apr 10, 18:34

Keeping an eye on this.

Jaga has my utmost respect in his performance search for perfection. And I absolutely love the info supplied. Good to see you in the X3 forums; people are still using Streamline for Oblivion with great enthusiasm - if you are the same person.

1.Seems like adjusting the traders for Aldrin to faster moving might help depopulation. Read that Terran space in general have problem with traders and so GOD removes stations; problems with resources anyway.

2. Getting traders to use maximum speed.

3. Re-adding "dot" classification to civilian ships.

4. I use Draffutt's patch; would be happy with an option to have those job changes included.

5. Litcubes report on a dying universe is important. I am somewhat slow in getting Universe Traders getting everywhere and such, so I would probably be affected by this.

Cheers!
Projects:
Onhold..... time time....

cnecktor
x3

Post by cnecktor » Fri, 30. Apr 10, 21:50

Hi will this work on the new 2.6 patch?

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude - Scripts and Modding”