Tutorial : Opening The Script Editor

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

LV
Sith Lord
x3tc

Post by LV » Sun, 19. Jul 09, 08:49

seanhall I've merged your posts into the tutorial which you should have found linked right at the top of the tutorial stickie, this should point you in the right direction.

Also for future reference triple posting usually brings instant death to an author which is why we have an "edit" option when posting ;)
LV's TC Scripts
Readme's For All My Scripts

I felt a great disturbance in the forum, Like millions of voices cried out in terror, then were silenced

si tacuisses, philosophus mansisses

Dizaster101
x3tc

Script Editor

Post by Dizaster101 » Sun, 6. Sep 09, 16:14

Hey,

I cant seem to get the script editor to work. I have changed my name to Thereshallbewings (Capital T, 2 l's) but all it does is change my name.

It doesnt activate anything (as far as I can tell) and the script editor doesnt run.

Any ideas??

{Merge to thread mentioned in [url=http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=216690]TC Download Library[/url], as per [url=http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=216696][b]T[/b][b]C[/b] [b]S[/b]&M Posting [b]R[/b]ules[/url]. jlehtone}

EmperorJon
x3tc

Post by EmperorJon » Sun, 6. Sep 09, 16:17

Go into your command console, half way down.

Or, Ctrl-C, S.
______
I'm Jon. I'm mostly not around any more. If you want to talk, please message me! It's cool.
______

Alkeena
x4

Post by Alkeena » Sun, 6. Sep 09, 16:21

I'm pretty sure the default is shift+c to get to your own control console. Ctrl is, by default, bore fire. That might be a bit dangerous to go around pressing willy-nilly.

As for the actual problem of enabling the script editor, it looks like you've got it right tbh. However, if it actually changes your name to Thereshallbewings then you did it wrong somehow. Your pilot name should still be the same as before--the fact that it doesn't change is an indicator that it was entered properly.

apricotslice
x4

Post by apricotslice » Mon, 7. Sep 09, 03:56

If its changing your name, then you didnt spell it right.

When it works correctly, there is a pause in the game, and your original name is restored.

Antmark155
x3tc

typing "Thereshallbewings" as your Pilot name

Post by Antmark155 » Sun, 13. Sep 09, 21:08

how do i type "Thereshallbewings" as me Pilot name

{Merge, as per [url=http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=216696][b]T[/b][b]C[/b] [b]S[/b]&M Posting [b]R[/b]ules[/url]. jlehtone}

Lifeforce87
x4

Post by Lifeforce87 » Sun, 13. Sep 09, 21:13

In the upper left corner is the "Personal" menue.. go there and then - Advanced - Rename

greetz
Lifeforce87

Ozias132

Post by Ozias132 » Sun, 27. Sep 09, 02:08

in very new to modding so i was wondering if someone could tell me wat i gotta do to "mod" a ship so that i own it. not like capping a ship but like making one out of thin.....er.....code? thanks in advanced

apricotslice
x4

Post by apricotslice » Sun, 27. Sep 09, 04:43

Wrong place to ask. Cheating things in has its own sticky thread. Download and install the cheat pack.

Ozias132

Post by Ozias132 » Sun, 27. Sep 09, 16:39

sorry. i just figured that out. thanks apricot.

Captain_D

Post by Captain_D » Sun, 11. Oct 09, 15:01

I've played the game straight from the box for about 60 hours and decided to give scripts a go, so I enabled scripts using the pilot name as above; it worked fine; the script menu appeared so I saved the game and reloaded as some of the posts suggest, and here's the problem.

When selecting any saved game it goes to the loading screen for a few seconds then the game crashes back to desktop; no error messages, no beeps, no freezes, just straight to desktop.

Having tried it, the same thing happens with saved games that I had from before I activated scripting?!

The only thing I seem to be able to do without problem is start a new game, but I don't really want to re-live my first 60 hours of play.

All of this is before I have downloaded any scripts or mods, messed with any directories or files, or done anything other than turn on the scripting system in game.

Does anyone have any idea what may have gone wrong and whether it is fixable without a full re-install?

apricotslice
x4

Post by apricotslice » Sun, 11. Oct 09, 15:12

I've not heard of that before. Since you havent actually modified the game yet, you should be able to post this in tech support and get some help.

Usually, saves crashing occurs when something added to the game in a script or mod and saved, is subsequently removed from the game. The save retains the object removed and when it cannot be found during loading, the game crashes.

To have it crash just because the script editor is turned on would seem to indicate a major problem in the game install.

Turning the editor on doesnt change anything as far as the game is concerned. Its only when you add mods or scripts that changes occur and the danger of saves crashing becomes a possibility.

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by Cycrow » Sun, 11. Oct 09, 15:47

sounds like u've added a mod thats causing problems.

what changes have u made to the game, and what mods have u added that u know about ?

Captain_D

Post by Captain_D » Sun, 11. Oct 09, 15:55

Thanks for the response guys.

The odd thing is that I genuinely have not added or changed anything yet... I was intending to obviously, otherwise I wouldn't have turned it on, but I hadn't actually added anything) or even downloaded anything yet.

As Apricot says, maybe this doesn't count as a scripting problem as such and I should raise it with game tech support. I wondered even if it was some problem with the copy protection? My PC setup is pretty standard (if such a thing exists) in all respects other than having Windows 7RC for OS.

Thanks for the help anyway guys, it's much appreciated.

apricotslice
x4

Post by apricotslice » Mon, 12. Oct 09, 01:35

It could be a windows 7 issue, and if so, that definitely needs to be checked out in tech support.

likertj
x4

Script Editor will not open

Post by likertj » Mon, 2. Nov 09, 20:08

I'm running X3:TC 2.5 from Steam. I enabled the editor via Thereshallbewings. When I go to my controls I set the keys to many different combinations; careful not to use anything already mapped. Example, I have set it to "Shift+/" Unfortunately, no matter how many times I have tried I cannot get the editor to open.

Has anyone seen this or am I doing something wrong? I've tried the default "s" and it isn't working either.

{[url=http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=216696][b]T[/b][b]C[/b] [b]S[/b]&M Posting [b]R[/b]ules[/url]. Merged. jlehtone}

BlackRazor
x4

Post by BlackRazor » Tue, 3. Nov 09, 15:38

I think the hotkey doesn't work, I've already read reports of people not being able to open the script editor with a hotkey.
Anyway you can open the script editor in the command console of any of your ships.
"For the love of the Fish-Queen!"

Oeil2Lynx

Post by Oeil2Lynx » Sun, 6. Feb 11, 08:06

I opened the script editor looking for a way to reduce the wages of the Mk3 trader.

i found the script that was doing it, edited a few values, hit 'Esc' and saved my changes. I left the script editor, then launched it again to check if my modification were saved, and... they were.

I saved and left the game, launched it again loaded my save, got to the editor check the script, and it was back to vanilla.

Is there anyway to edit a script and SAVE the modifications done ? :cry:

Carlo the Curious
x4

Post by Carlo the Curious » Sun, 6. Feb 11, 08:30

Rename or delete the .pck file.

Scripts which come with the game are packed as .pck files, but the script editor saves as a .xml file - and the game will use the .pck if there is one.

Oeil2Lynx

Post by Oeil2Lynx » Sun, 6. Feb 11, 08:46

Thanks, found the xml but ... OMG :o

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude - Scripts and Modding”