Would an X-Universe screenshot BLENDER be a useful thing? (Take a look at it here)

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Does this program seem useful to you?

By no means, YES, I'd like to blend some pics that I've taken
29%
Somewhat, as I'll need some pretty pictures in the first place, and I'm known for my laziness
30%
[Yawn] What's that? Come again, please...
25%
By no means, NOPE, I have too many pics as it stands, to want to blend'em
7%
Get a life, dude, let mrbadger do his thing
10%

Total votes: 73

BeidAmmikon
x3tc

Would an X-Universe screenshot BLENDER be a useful thing? (Take a look at it here)

Post by BeidAmmikon » Tue, 28. Jul 09, 23:08

This program is being submitted for the Xuperbox

[ external image ]
Hi there.
As the name of the post says, I've been working on a simple image blender and toyed with it.
[link removed at user's request]. The program requires the Microsoft .NET 2.0 Framework to be already installed on the computer it will run on. Most Windows 2000/XP/Vista should have this version installed by now (regular Windows Update is your friend!)

The interface is pretty straightforward, allowing the user to:
- select the screenshots folder and parse its images content. ANY folder will result in the same action - the images therein will be listed
- select two images to blend or collate, and preview them
- adjust the opacity degree involved both in blending and mixing. For example, 20% means that the first selected image will be 20% opaque, and the second 80%
- adjust the dots-per-inch quality of the final image. Range: 72 to 300 DPI
- you may "favour" the colour values on the RGB scale involved in mixing. If you select "Favour... light colours", then white will be visible always, and light colours will take precedence over dark ones, which will be faded out. The opposite will happen if you select the 'Favour... dark colours" option.
- overlay a text onto the final image, for example "Barracuda approaches the Boron Supershipyard in Queen's something" (click on the last Boron-themed image, or on the like images in the second series)
- select the font for the overlayed text
- select the colour of the font for the overlayed text
- save the final image to a file
- clear the picturebox with the final image
- swap the two initial images
- set the final image as source image (either as Image 1, or as Image 2)

No changes are made to the two original images. They will remain as they were before processing them.
The images are rescaled in order to fit in the program's window, but all processing is made on the original image.
The final image will be saved at its actual size (the size of the largest image will be used - if blending, and the common size of the two images will be used - if mixing)

Here's some examples of image mixing:
[ external image ] [ external image ] [ external image ] [ external image ][ external image ] [ external image ] [ external image ] [ external image ] [ external image ] [ external image ]

The "source" images for the results above were taken from the SotW thread. Now for some "independent" work of myself:

[ external image ] [ external image ] [ external image ] [ external image ] [ external image ] [ external image ] [ external image ] [ external image ] [ external image ] [ external image ][ external image ][ external image ][ external image ][ external image ]

Please, share your thoughts and suggestions on this little app, if you will. All those who will use it will benefit from that. Thanks anyway.

Side note. Look what, I realise this program is not needed by all X players, like in wanted. However, note that it may be quite useful as a small graphics manipulation tool for hardcore X-games fans, as it is our screenshot blender as a community... Which is the very reason I started it.

Now, if you'll allow me, I'll say that this is true for the apps that mrbadger works on, and he has my entire admiration and respect, as a programmer and fan of the X Universe. He made some things that we X'ers did not have before, and that's commendable, yes.

And no, it's not (a) BENDER 8)
Last edited by BeidAmmikon on Tue, 6. Oct 09, 20:21, edited 41 times in total.
For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against Principalities, against Powers,
against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places

Deadbeat_Spinn
x3tc

Post by Deadbeat_Spinn » Tue, 28. Jul 09, 23:23

Looks cool, what else can I say. I'll support both you (BeidAmmikon) and mr badger in your pursuits of greatness.

Edit: Those pics could be a front runner for SoTW, you should post them in the SoTW thread and see what people think.

BeidAmmikon
x3tc

Post by BeidAmmikon » Wed, 29. Jul 09, 09:58

[obsolete post, entry still present due to lack of Delete button...]
Last edited by BeidAmmikon on Wed, 29. Jul 09, 21:11, edited 2 times in total.
For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against Principalities, against Powers,
against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places

X1000

Post by X1000 » Wed, 29. Jul 09, 20:27

Buzzard Vangaurd in Seizewell meets Falcon in Gunnes Crusade (Sorry bout the HUD, forgot to shut it off!)

http://iscatc.webs.com/photos/X3--Blend ... Falcon.jpg
Last edited by X1000 on Wed, 29. Jul 09, 20:35, edited 1 time in total.

BeidAmmikon
x3tc

Post by BeidAmmikon » Wed, 29. Jul 09, 20:34

First of all, make sure you have the latest version by downloading the zip file (link in the first post)

To save the final image you select the menu entry "Resulted image/Save". A standard Save File dialog will ask you for the location and name of your image to save, and you'll be able to view it full-size immediately after saving.
However, that menu entry will not be available (enabled for selection) until you actually obtain a blended image.

Thanks for attention, it is mucho appreciado :)
Last edited by BeidAmmikon on Wed, 29. Jul 09, 20:39, edited 2 times in total.

X1000

Post by X1000 » Wed, 29. Jul 09, 20:36

I figured it out, and edited my post with the picture. thanks.

BeidAmmikon
x3tc

Post by BeidAmmikon » Wed, 29. Jul 09, 20:37

A true "X", that image of yours :P

X1000

Post by X1000 » Wed, 29. Jul 09, 21:17

Ill take that as a compliment... :)

X1000

Post by X1000 » Wed, 29. Jul 09, 21:35

BeidAmmikon
x3tc

Post by BeidAmmikon » Wed, 29. Jul 09, 22:03

Looking over that Argon Prime/Neptune image, I think that for me it's more appropriate the second voting option :D
Thanks for testing, X1000. I'm glad to see someone enjoying it. Work has not been made in vain, it seems :)

BeidAmmikon
x3tc

Post by BeidAmmikon » Thu, 30. Jul 09, 11:47

2009.07.30 - New function added: overlaying a text onto the final image.
Last edited by BeidAmmikon on Fri, 31. Jul 09, 12:50, edited 1 time in total.

BeidAmmikon
x3tc

Post by BeidAmmikon » Fri, 31. Jul 09, 12:50

2009.07.31 - Added 3 different blending methods.

TTD
x4

Post by TTD » Thu, 1. Oct 09, 20:04

I think that as you add more features,it will become more popular.

Just maybe not "Photoshop",but I would not have the need for a powerful and expensive programme.

Good on yer.
Keep it coming.

BeidAmmikon
x3tc

Post by BeidAmmikon » Thu, 1. Oct 09, 20:43

Bless you TTD, your comment is welcome and shows that this thread is not forgotten, after all. Now I keep fingers crossed for it not to be locked - well, I've submitted this application for the Xuperbox, and it's good to know that people DO care to look at it and try it, to obtain unique, stunning combinations of views from the X-Universe.
I've already prepared myself 4 posters 8)

As for features - it has reached its simple goal - blending in various degrees XUniverse-related wallpapers (or any images, for that matter). I would further enrich it if I'd have gotten some feedback in this regard (but the lack of it makes me think it's quite finished and people are content with it, or just not interested...)
So, I don't really know what to make of this - if anyone (you included, TTD :) ) has ideas for improvement or increased featuritis, please send them to me in this thread or on PM, but HURRY, PLEASE - the Xuperbox is knocking at the door.

Deadbeat_Spinn
x3tc

Post by Deadbeat_Spinn » Thu, 1. Oct 09, 21:01

Is it possible to blend more than two screenshots together, say three or four?

A few thoughts/ideas,

Combining/splitting. By which I mean say you take a standard screen and split it into thirds (of any size and/or angles) then take three seperate blends (one for each split) and combine them.

Background blend only. Meaning say you have ship for the screen (say a Eclipse) that displays a fair amound of background, not sure on much percentage of the screen should be background, 25-30% minimum?. Then using the split mentioned above, blend parts or sections (some or all) while leaving the ship alone or the ship could be included. An example would be an Eclipse shot taken in say Akeela's Beacon with the backgound sections displaying a red nebula blend and a green nebula blend.

Just some thoughts.

D.S.

Yes I kinda forgot about the blender despite being the first to reply to this thread. :oops:

BeidAmmikon
x3tc

Post by BeidAmmikon » Thu, 1. Oct 09, 21:09

Is it possible to blend more than two screenshots together, say three or four?
:) Well, it (+ the user) can do a terrible mess out of two screenshots only, but I'll try to make it worse :)

@Deadbeat_Spinn and the others with the same ideas as yours - I'll see what I can do. Results - soon to be announced.

Still waiting for more requests. And don't worry, I won't be making a second Photoshop - too expensive :P

BeidAmmikon
x3tc

Post by BeidAmmikon » Thu, 1. Oct 09, 22:33

UPDATE - 2009.10.01 (click)

[ external image ]

Added the ability to create an image composed of only selected sections (thirds) of the initial images.
You can use:
- the left and right thirds of each image
- the top and bottom thirds of each image
- the middle horizontal and vertical thirds of each image
All credits for having this functionality should go to Deadbeat_Spinn, for suggesting it.

You may download the latest version from here (click) or by clicking on the first line in this post. The bulk of the 2.2 MB is the PDF Help file, ridden with images :roll: but it is not updated to reflect this latest change - coming soon.

Deadbeat_Spinn
x3tc

Post by Deadbeat_Spinn » Fri, 2. Oct 09, 00:41

Sweet!!!!! You're making my day BeidAmmikon. :)

Hmmm, lemme see if I can think of any more tricks and pull them out of my sleeve.

The splitting of third's, is it straight line type or is it subject to a zigzag/curvature type or even blobs/circles/squares/shredded? Or would that be making things a slight bit too much complex and/or testing the limits of patience and frustration for the progam and individual?

A another new thought, now that the background can be busted into triplets, what about the main object of a screenshot? To elaborate, say you use a ship and/or station and do the breaking of thirds as well (leaving the background alone or it can be done as well). But say you wish to use multiple images of the ship/station. Say the first section is the normal, peaceful shot of ship/station. The second section show's said ship/station under attack (receiving enemies fire, or in the case of the ship it can also be returning fire unless the station is a Lasertower or OWP). The third section shows said ship/station and any stage of it's destruction.

But really, do I deserve such credit, I'm just a professional troll.....and I have embossed business cards too (with gold leaf trim). :D
Last edited by Deadbeat_Spinn on Thu, 13. May 10, 23:44, edited 1 time in total.

BeidAmmikon
x3tc

Post by BeidAmmikon » Fri, 2. Oct 09, 22:26

UPDATE - 2009.10.02 (click)

[ external image ]

Added functionality:
- swap the initial images with one another
- create an image using an already "composed" image and a "normal" one
- select the regions of the initial images to collate (without blending)

You may download the latest version from here (click) or by clicking on the first line in this post.

BeidAmmikon
x3tc

Post by BeidAmmikon » Sat, 3. Oct 09, 11:46

UPDATE - 2009.10.03 (click)

[ external image ]

Tidied up the interface, separating the Blend and Collate procedures.

You may download the latest version from here (click) or by clicking on the first line in this post.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”