[MOD] Coloured Engine Effects and Trails

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

Algoran
x3tc

[MOD] Coloured Engine Effects and Trails

Post by Algoran » Wed, 1. Jul 09, 07:03

This mod gives each race their own matching coloured engine drives, lens flare effects and particle trails, like so:

---------------------------Split--------------------------------------------------------Boron
[ external image ] [ external image ]

--------------------------Otas--------------------------------------------------------Argon

-------------------------Teladi------------------------------------------------------Paranid

------------------Terran/ATF/deca-----------------------------------------------Xenon

--------------------------Pirate-----------------------------------------------------Yaki

------------------------Khaak
[ external image ]

The coloured textures of the engine drives themselves are from fud's Engine Colours mod, while the lens flair effects and the particle trails are for the most part from egosoft, but for whatever reason they decided not to use them in the final game.

I did not actually create any of the effects in the original version of this mod, but since finding out how I have changed and created some of the trails myself.

The point of this is to make the ships (the fighters, mostly) of the different races more distinctive, and more dynamic - give you a better impression of speed while watching them maneuver. Also, trails are cool :D

Everything smaller than an M7 should have custom race effects, and the occasional M7 as well :)

This mod is 3.1 compatible.

It is also designed to be compatible with Ulfus/Paul Wheeler's Combat Mod 4.

It is not compatible with any mod which edits Tships, or any mod other than cmod which edits Effects or Particles3.

Changes in 1.7

Slightly reduced all trail densities, to reduce chance of corrupted trail bug (1.7a)
Cmod v4.8 compatiblity (1.7a)

All TS/TPs now have lens flares
Unique engine effects for Aldrin ships
Enabled missing green engine glow effect for Boron
Marlin Hauler given green Boron drive texture
Mistral freighters given correct Otas effects
Corrected placement of Khaak M3/M4/M5 effect emitters

"Pirate ship" flare changed to yellow
Reduced size of lens flare for Nemesis, Hyperion and Vali
Reduced size of lens flare for all M8s
Increased size of trail for Hyperion
Couple of other tweaks

Updated for Cmod v4.6a compatibility

Credit to Killerog for the TS/TP scene files.

Changes in 1.6

Fixed cockpit bugs
Fixed Zephyrus lens flare bug
Added lens flares to Advanced Chokaro

Changes in 1.5

Updated for 3.1 compatibility (26/02/11)
Updated for 1.7 compatibility
Thor trail corrected
Angel flare corrected in cmod version
Pirate Eclipse drive changed from blue to red/yellow

Changes in 1.4

All bombers now have appropriate racial effects
All TMs now have lens flares
Angel given smaller TM flare
Argon TS/TM/TP drives changed to light blue

Chimera given correct number of trails
Hyperion trail changed from white to Paranid
Pirate Centaur flare changed from argon to pirate
Marauder Hauler trail and flare corrected
Heavy Centaur Prototype trail and flare corrected
Fixed bug preventing teladi fighter flares from displaying in the Cmod compatible version

All trails a bit shorter, particularly Otas, Paranid and Terran.
Several other tweaks

Changes in 1.3

Fixed Blastclaw weapons bug (1.3a)

Slightly reduced density for all trails (to lower onscreen particle count)
Boron trail complexity reduced
Thicker trails for centaurs
Perseus raider, Susanowa raider and Susanowa prototype cockpit bugs corrected
Fixed incorrect Perseus sentinel model file

Changes in 1.2

Halved trail length again (due to max particles issue) (1.2b)

Fixed Yaki Tenjin engine bug (1.2a)

All corvettes now have appropriate racial effects
All Teladi fighters now have extra trails & effects, to go with their clusters of engines
Paranid M5s have extra trails
Many Argon fighters have additional trails
Xenon M6/5/4/3 now have lensflare effects
Goner Ranger has effects
Mjolnir/Valkyre has effects

deca fighter effects corrected (they had only one trail)
deca, ATF and Aldrin trails changed to Terran
Yaki fighter drive texture changed to red
Falcon drive texture corrected (from blue to yellow)
Teladi flare size and trail reduced
A few other tweaks

Susanowa prototype model file changed to variant 3
Susanowa Raider model file changed to variant 2
Perseus Raider model file changed to variant 2
Pirate Nova Raider model file changed to variant 1
Fujin Raider model file changed to variant 1

I know the model changes aren't strictly the province of a trail mod, but I noticed these ships appeared to be using the wrong models. Some models weren't actually being used in the game at all.

Credit to Hansi for providing many of the scene file modifications in this version.

Changes in 1.1

Split trail much redder
Argon trail a fraction bluer
Argon fighter & bomber drives changed to light blue
Argon lens flare a fraction larger
New trail for Otas ships
New trail for Terran ships
New trail for fighter drones (mini white trail)
New trail and lens flare for Yaki ships
All trails longer
Minor additions to Paranid and Boron trails

Fake Patch:

--Engine Effects 1.7a--
[ external image ]

This version is compatible with cmod v.4.8. If using cmod, make sure engine effects is loaded after cmod (i.e. it has a higher false patch number).

If you want to use cmod's new Terran weapons (the Electro-Magnetic Repeater + Fusion Pulse Disruptor) then use the following patch, loaded after engine effects, instead of the one from cmod's thread. It contains a copy of vanilla Tcockpits and engine effects' Tships with the new Terran weapons added:

--Engine Effects 1.7a EMR Compatibility Pack--
[ external image ]

----------------------------------------------------

And if you would prefer your Xenon to look like this:

[ external image ]

Then add this minimod in after Engine effects:

--Yellow Xenon Engines (1.7a)--
[ external image ]
Last edited by Algoran on Mon, 4. Apr 11, 18:15, edited 33 times in total.

ThisIsHarsh
x3tc

Post by ThisIsHarsh » Wed, 1. Jul 09, 08:31

These look awesome. Just for kicks tried using it with Cmod installed as well, and appears to work. I don't think the basic Cmod changes TShips, but does change Effects, so dunno if that'll cause graphical glitches...

That said, engine trails + SETA don't play well together - weird effect of trails appearing in front of ships sometimes and lagging behind ships other times.

EDIT: also, be cool if non-fighters could have trails as well - i.e. TS/TP.

Algoran
x3tc

Post by Algoran » Wed, 1. Jul 09, 09:46

Oh does it not, didnt realize. Taken that out of the first post :p With Effects, there might be some issues yea.. did you try putting this mod before cmod in the cat sequence? Dont know what cmod has done to Effects, but all thats been done here is that the effects used have been un-commented, which could have been done in cmod too.

The thing with SETA is just a framerate issue i think, SETA decreases framerate which makes that start happening. Not much to be done about it unfortunately. It happens in vanilla too, its just with the standard black trails you dont notice because they're basically invisible :p

And totally would be cool, but that requires modeling work which I dont know how to do!

Tomonor
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Tomonor » Wed, 1. Jul 09, 13:11

WOHOHOHOWOAH. I knew u gonna make it XD

...I m so Installing it...

Theres one thing I might ask... Why does the Xenon have blue engine output? >_<

fud
x3

Post by fud » Wed, 1. Jul 09, 14:28

He's using my engine colors (and bodies). When I was doing my meddling with them, people complained (perhaps, that's too strong of a word) about the xenon color I did have (which was a sinister red/orange), saying that to be true to the series, it would be blue....

However, the way I did the engine color mods, it's *very* easy to change the colors. You just need to drop a single texture file (in this case, something named 1000*.dds) into a /dds subfolder in the main TC directory.

I did it that way for a purpose.

You can mix/match them anyway you want to. Each race has it's own unique texture/dds file for the engine colors.

Now, whether or not a color change has any affect on the flares, I'm not sure, that is something to ask Algoran...

I have a highly modified Tships as is, but I think I'll merge this one into it. ;)

Those look great.

The SETA thing doesn't bother me, as I don't use it. :p

someone else
x3tc

Post by someone else » Wed, 1. Jul 09, 15:22

that's cooooooool! the only thing that bugs me is that some particle trails are not of the engine's colour... boron (a too light green) khaak (too rarified) Split (engine glow is red/orange but the trail is white?) Teladi (same problem as split)

and the pirate one... is COOOOOOL! :D
Last edited by someone else on Wed, 1. Jul 09, 15:44, edited 1 time in total.
Trade, Fight, Build, Think, Modify.
Ship Rebalance Mod
OOS Rebalance
Resized Aldrin Big Rock
SIDE/TOP/FRONT Ship Size Comparison
Remember young Padawan: money stolen can be, time cannot.

Tomonor
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Tomonor » Wed, 1. Jul 09, 15:31

fud wrote:...saying that to be true to the series, it would be blue....
Depends on which series... I rather stick to the X2's 8)

someone else
x3tc

Post by someone else » Wed, 1. Jul 09, 15:58

http://www.after-domination.net/phpbb3/ ... ?f=67&t=28
http://www.after-domination.net/phpbb3/ ... ?f=67&t=27

reading these two tutorials you are ready to give trails and engine glows to all other ships too... 8)
Ship Rebalance Mod
OOS Rebalance
Resized Aldrin Big Rock

riky69

Post by riky69 » Wed, 1. Jul 09, 19:04

And for flares?? Is there a tutorial to understand clearly how to add also flares, set their sizes and colours??

Lancefighter
x4

Post by Lancefighter » Wed, 1. Jul 09, 19:43

what was the final word on cmod compatability? Im willing to go through the files and work it out if i need to, i just need to know what needs changing.

Tomonor
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Tomonor » Wed, 1. Jul 09, 22:30

riky69 wrote:And for flares?? Is there a tutorial to understand clearly how to add also flares, set their sizes and colours??
Eh, i m not a modding pro, but these files what Algoran used are actually in the vanilla game, just they wasn't activated. Guess you will have to make your own effect files first, and then modify them somehow into tEffects...

SS_T
x3ap

Post by SS_T » Wed, 1. Jul 09, 23:36

ThisIsHarsh wrote:These look awesome. Just for kicks tried using it with Cmod installed as well, and appears to work. I don't think the basic Cmod changes TShips, but does change Effects, so dunno if that'll cause graphical glitches...

That said, engine trails + SETA don't play well together - weird effect of trails appearing in front of ships sometimes and lagging behind ships other times.

EDIT: also, be cool if non-fighters could have trails as well - i.e. TS/TP.
iirc when I was editing the x1pf mod to add flares and trails along time ago, when I include cmod into my mod I found some of the bullet effects was not working. If you want to see if it is compatible that is what i suggest you look at :)
New XDownloads: http://xdownloads.co.uk

riky69

Post by riky69 » Thu, 2. Jul 09, 00:53

I hope that algoran would give some indications or a tutorial for flares someday because i ve tried to understand something but i m at the same point as i was one week ago.. 0 ideas, 0 results :)

Algoran
x3tc

Post by Algoran » Thu, 2. Jul 09, 05:01

fud wrote: However, the way I did the engine color mods, it's *very* easy to change the colors. You just need to drop a single texture file (in this case, something named 1000*.dds) into a /dds subfolder in the main TC directory.

I did it that way for a purpose.

You can mix/match them anyway you want to. Each race has it's own unique texture/dds file for the engine colors.

Now, whether or not a color change has any affect on the flares, I'm not sure, that is something to ask Algoran...
Changing drive colours dosnt have any effect on the flares, no. And can you explain how to change the drive colours in some more detail please? :)
repatomonor wrote:
riky69 wrote:And for flares?? Is there a tutorial to understand clearly how to add also flares, set their sizes and colours??
Eh, i m not a modding pro, but these files what Algoran used are actually in the vanilla game, just they wasn't activated. Guess you will have to make your own effect files first, and then modify them somehow into tEffects...
Yea as repatomonor said, all I did was apply them to ships, I didnt make them. And Im sorry to say I dont know how to either :( I can change which ship has which, thats it :p
someone else wrote:that's cooooooool! the only thing that bugs me is that some particle trails are not of the engine's colour... boron (a too light green) khaak (too rarified) Split (engine glow is red/orange but the trail is white?) Teladi (same problem as split)

and the pirate one... is COOOOOOL! :D
Heh well the blastclaw one is the 'Firey trail' from that Syk section in particles3 :) They get a special trail cos theyr cool and I wanted to use it :p The other pirates have the old XTM trail.

The others you mentioned are all egosoft, the teladi one is actually fades white - yellow, and the split one is a very pale pinkey colour.. but yea I agree it needs to be a stronger red.

Anyway Ive worked out several of the variables in the trails, but not the ones that govern the actual particle type. So, i cant change their colour lol.
Lancefighter wrote:what was the final word on cmod compatability? Im willing to go through the files and work it out if i need to, i just need to know what needs changing.
Well it sounds like its not directly compatable, but if cmod does not edit Tships, it wouldnt be very hard to merge the two. This mod edits particles3 and effects, all you'd have to do is look at the changes i made to them and apply those to effects and particles3 (if cmod edits that), then copy all files except the ones you edited in cmod over to the cmod cat file... You know how to use the X3 editor?

Lancefighter
x4

Post by Lancefighter » Thu, 2. Jul 09, 05:54

uh where is particles3?
I cant seem to find it in my modded files.. none of my false patches have one in the same place as your mod.

Algoran
x3tc

Post by Algoran » Thu, 2. Jul 09, 06:02

Ok i guess cmod dosnt edit it then, which is convenient :D Its right back in 0.3cat, but you dont need to worry about it in that case. Seems all you need to edit is the effects file in cmod, which which is easy: just remove the // from the start of the lines in flare effects 2-8 :)

Lancefighter
x4

Post by Lancefighter » Thu, 2. Jul 09, 06:32

So the

paranid engine effect (2)
khaak effekt
teladi engine effect
argon engine effect
split engine effect
boron engine effect
xenon engine effect? (8)

To confirm, change it from
2;2;0;0;1.0; // Effect 2 paranid engine effect(yellow)
to
2;2;0;0;1.0; Effect 2 paranid engine effect(yellow)
?

Do i need to touch the other comment lines in the following:

2;2;0;0;1.0; // Effect 2 paranid engine effect(yellow)
EEDF_SPEEDDEPENDENT|EEDF_RELATIVESIZE; I3DF_2D;
0x0d5; 0.000; 0.170; -1; 0.100; 0.000; 0.000;-0.050; -1; 0; 0.40; 0;
// EEDF_SPEEDDEPENDENT|EEDF_RELATIVESIZE|EEDF_LENSFLARE; I3DF_HASLENSFLARE;
// -1; 0.000; 0.110; -1; 0.100; 0.000; 0.000;-0.060; 10; 10; 0.40; 0;
EEDF_SPEEDDEPENDENT|EEDF_LIGHT; 0;
115; 0.153; 0.153; -1; 0.100; 0; 0; -6553; -1; 0; 0.750; 0;

do i leave these or remove them?

Algoran
x3tc

Post by Algoran » Thu, 2. Jul 09, 07:07

Nope not those ones, just the ones you've highlighted in green :)

And those are the effects used yep.

Lancefighter
x4

Post by Lancefighter » Thu, 2. Jul 09, 07:24

thanks!
wanted to make it as dummy-proof as possible.. Dont want to start it up and have weird stuff floating out of the backs of my ships.. or generally break the game.

edits below!
for other cmod people - http://rapidshare.com/files/250929915/Effects.txt

place that in your x3tc/types/ directory, and it should work.. Maybe. Wont be able to test till tomorrow, unfortunately. Youll need to install the rest of the mod too... actually, not sure if it works with an actual mod, so use it as a false patch.
Edit - THIS WILL NOT WORK PROPERLY.
weapon effects seem to be broken with cmod and this.. (ibls or frag bombs for example, no longer look cool)

if theres a problem, let me know, and i might be able to fix it.

for mars people - http://rapidshare.com/files/250951519/TShips.txt
place in the same place as the above one.
This is merely the engine effects tships with drones fitting repair lasers. (gazz seems to like that, and it does look cool having drones repair with the laser)

edit some more - I did get a chance to try it ingame, and it looks pretty awesome.
Last edited by Lancefighter on Thu, 2. Jul 09, 22:35, edited 1 time in total.

someone else
x3tc

Post by someone else » Thu, 2. Jul 09, 10:03

repatomonor wrote:
the flares are all defined into the particles3.txt, you need to copy/paste the entries and play a bit with them. the flares are an entry in each trail (from what I've seen). No tutorial on that... it is a unexplored area.

if you want to add existing trails and create and add engine glows on ships that don't possess it it is doable following these tutorials.
Ship Rebalance Mod
OOS Rebalance
Resized Aldrin Big Rock

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude - Scripts and Modding”