Wanton use of nukes and the path to galactic conquest!

Official fiction, fan fiction and artwork. Let your talent express itself!

Moderators: TheElf, Moderators for English X Forum

NUKLEAR-SLUG
x3tc

Wanton use of nukes and the path to galactic conquest!

Post by NUKLEAR-SLUG » Sun, 31. May 09, 15:11

Note. For those who may to skip ahead to a downloadable PDF version feel free to click.. here..

Next chapter
01 - Don't Panic!

Personal log:

I can tell you the exact moment it all went wrong.

To be honest I knew something wasn't quite right around the time we were busily pacifying the flight deck (messily as it happens.) It appears Terrans aren't used to having their ships boarded but while they were a bit slow off the mark they did put up a good fight towards the end. Scraping off the worst of the goo then I'ld settled into the command chair to burst-message the rest of homefleet to say the ship was secure and it was as I was sat back looking out the main viewport and waiting for the return confirmation signal that the niggling doubt started. Couldn't quite place it tho. It wasn't until a fairly alarmed Etmanck had got the ships tac-systems back online and informed me that homefleet was nowhere to be seen that it suddenly clicked. Uh-oh..

Now I'm no astrophysicist or anything, planetary motion isn't really my area of expertise, but even I know that planets don't move. Well ok, they DO move, but they tend to do it kindof slowly. They don't just jump around, one minute it's way over there and the next minute it's right over here. They just don't do that. Ships on the other hand do, which lead me to the disturbing conclusion that the planet was in the same place it had always been whereas we on the other hand were not..

It was suddenly looking worryingly like the Terrans might have the last laugh. According to Etmanck we were indeed not where were, worse still there was rather a large Terran fleet closing in rapidly in a manner that seemed.. hostile. We were running out of time and needed options. A quick check of ship systems showed the shields were functional but operating at a nominal 20% so we had a little time, but not a whole lot. Weapon systems? Destroyed, not helpful. I gave Etmanck a scowl, that was his job. I recall him muttering something about it not being his fault inferior beings couldn't construct more robust ships but to be honest we didn't have time to argue the point.

Anyways, weapons down, jumpdrive offline, shields that are going to last about two minutes. Well, sometimes command decisions are just that easy to make. Every man, woman and lizard for themselves! Yep, we ran for it. We almost made it too. My estimate on the shields was a little high, the ship was practically disintegrating under a hail of Terran fire as I reached the airlock and activating suit thrusters I was barely clear of the hull as it finally cracked and blew.

I'm not sure how long I was out for, a few minutes or so, but I've been trying to reach the rest of the team on our encrypted suit comms. Nothing. I've a horrible suspicion that the rest of the guys didn't make it out alive. It looks like I'm the only survivor, stuck deep in Terran space, far from home with enemies all around..

http://dbbr17626.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/steve/01-1.jpg

.. At least the view is nice.

Leo 'Steve' Kayean ending log:

Assets
1x Spacesuit

Time: 00:14:04
Credits: 1000

{moved from X-Universe; see note - Carlo}
Last edited by NUKLEAR-SLUG on Fri, 21. Jan 11, 18:33, edited 5 times in total.

Deadbeat_Spinn
x3tc

Post by Deadbeat_Spinn » Sun, 31. May 09, 15:14

Third time is the charm they say. This looks to be the beginning of something good, nothing like trying to survive in a spacesuit.

Which start is this BTW?

Dem0n_Dude
x3tc

Post by Dem0n_Dude » Sun, 31. May 09, 15:17

:lol: gd luck with that. But if any1 can do it u can

paulhamm
x3

Post by paulhamm » Sun, 31. May 09, 15:51

I love people who love challenges, go sluggy!! Can I get me a copy of that initial save game btw?

BeidAmmikon
x3tc

Post by BeidAmmikon » Sun, 31. May 09, 16:28

Deadbeat_Spinn wrote:Which start is this BTW?
I think it's the start from near the end of previous adventure, remember when Steve got shot with his pals into the big black yonder and going MIA?
Now he'll have to wait for a skirmish in a nearby Commonwealth sector that drops some big missiles, to pick them up and buy a Discoverer or something with them in Omicron Lyrae, from there on sky's the limit.
For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against Principalities, against Powers,
against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places

dalin80
x3tc

Post by dalin80 » Sun, 31. May 09, 16:38

how can you pick missiles up in a suit?
Pilot of the Purple Elephant

BeidAmmikon
x3tc

Post by BeidAmmikon » Sun, 31. May 09, 16:55

If not, I do not see how he will earn money... without a ship, that is. 1000 Cr is not enough for much of anything besides buying 1 or 2 tunings for the suit... We'll see, I'm most curious.
Spoiler
Show
EDIT: Now that you mention it, and assuming he'll follow the Terran Plot (guess he started as Terran Defender for those 1000 Cr) I guess he will accept the mission in OmiLyr, and actually get a ship for free. But will the plot go on if he follows the patrol leader in its suit only????
For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against Principalities, against Powers,
against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places

thiosk
x3tc

Post by thiosk » Sun, 31. May 09, 17:03

Awesome!

One could always plot a course for the nearest derelict... but that wouldn't be very interesting, would it?

I won't fault you if you do.
Fear the dreaded carousel beast!

dalin80
x3tc

Post by dalin80 » Sun, 31. May 09, 17:08

i dont think theres any choice, the suit cant do anything but move slowly (or at a reasonable rate if you dont mind travelling sideways) and run out of air.

no combat, no capping and no trading.

Tenlar Scarflame
xr

Post by Tenlar Scarflame » Sun, 31. May 09, 17:17

Ohh, now THIS will be good. :D Leo lives!

Well, for a little while. Best of luck, I'd love to see how you disentangle yourself from this interesting situation.

I assume you started Terran defender? Have you ganked your starting race relations at all?
My music - Von Neumann's Children - Lasers and Tactics

I'm on Twitch! 21:15 EST Sundays. Come watch me die a lot.

BeidAmmikon
x3tc

Post by BeidAmmikon » Sun, 31. May 09, 17:26

Isn't there a ship that's been left behind by his former boss? :wink: Oh wait, this isn't a sequel... Or is it?
"Please give a poor beggar a lift...", a lifter that is.
He could make two ships collide and hope for the best, and then fire the repair laser to a crippled one - he'll be regarded as hostile and perhaps it'll win him a ship.
What's there left?...

N-S must ROFL at these ideas... So what :D

Lancefighter
x4

Post by Lancefighter » Sun, 31. May 09, 18:16

lol i doubt he can last long with a spacesuit, and i forsee a couple of 'lost in space, nothing on comms' chapters before he gets anywhere NEAR anything spacesuits go really slow... no seta...

dalin80
x3tc

Post by dalin80 » Sun, 31. May 09, 18:29

they actually travel quite quickly when strafing.

JoeVN09
x4

Post by JoeVN09 » Sun, 31. May 09, 19:08

You've been planning this all along, haven't you? It's genius. :P
~ Experienced X3 veteran. Dangerously incompetent X4 novice. ~

Lancefighter
x4

Post by Lancefighter » Sun, 31. May 09, 19:11

dalin80 wrote:they actually travel quite quickly when strafing.
how fast is that? I think last time it was like 50 m/s... dont remember though ;\

Even still, no seta, HUGE terran sectors...

ak2507
x3tc

Post by ak2507 » Sun, 31. May 09, 19:18

Nice suit there! :P
In true Holywood fashion "Steve" is back.
Good luck N-S.

Olterin
xr

Post by Olterin » Sun, 31. May 09, 19:24

Actually, you can strafe in two directions simultaneously (doh :roll: ), thus gaining a max speed of... oh, 1.4 times the usual strafe speed - throw in the normal thrusters and you have a solid 80 m/s or so going there.

But now you have me hooked, N-S, again :oops:. Good luck, and may Leo find some oxygen on his way to a brighter future :lol:
"Do or do not, there is no try"
"My Other Overwhelming Mixed Assault Fleet is a Brigantine" -Seleucius, commenting on my ship naming scheme

Jack Slinger
x3tc

Post by Jack Slinger » Sun, 31. May 09, 19:55

Hmm I wonder if you can dock at stations in the suit and if so will it replace your oxygen. Anyway nice storie looking forward to more chapters.

EmperorJon
x3tc

Post by EmperorJon » Sun, 31. May 09, 20:06

You can dock Jack, and I'm not sure if you replace the Oxygen... Haven't seen you on the forums for a while, thought you'd quit.

Anyways, nice one once again NS, how ya gonna get outta this one!? I can't wait!
Third time lucky!
______
I'm Jon. I'm mostly not around any more. If you want to talk, please message me! It's cool.
______

softweir
xr

Post by softweir » Sun, 31. May 09, 21:43

Ooh! Ooh! NS is back, and BOY has he set himself a challenge!

This is going to be fun. :)
My new fave game (while waiting for Rebirth) - Kerbal Space Program

Return to “Creative Universe”