[script] Universe Explorers v2.4.0: Update Sep 5

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

7ate9tin11s
x4

[script] Universe Explorers v2.4.0: Update Sep 5

Post by 7ate9tin11s » Tue, 26. May 09, 06:40

Universe Explorers v2.4.0

Legitimate Enterprises Advertisement #8971
Do you fancy a career in freedom? Join Legitimate Enterprises, Inc. today! We provide you a small fighter and just ask to know what you have found in your journeys. Merely sign below and your path to freedom will begin.
The universe explorer scripts allow you to hire a pilot to automatically explore the universe for you. These explorers will gain experience and skills as they traverse the universe to open up new methods of finding unexplored sectors, and more. There are 24 levels in all which are explained in more detail below.

Requires:
:!: AP Libraries by 7ate9tin11s of at least r1 for common functions
Community Configuration Menu by Cycrow to use menus and configure options.

Download
Version 2.4.0
ZIP, SPK and AP Libraries can be found at:
http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=4264 ... 6e282a0ee8

Anyone may host any of my files anywhere they wish, just please keep them up to date with new releases in this thread!

:!: New in 2.4.0!
  • AL Library Check - UX will now make sure you have the required library files installed before activating, this should prevent the masses of beacons when the libraries are missing.
  • Bug fixes - A variety of small bug fixes have been applied. survivability should also be slightly higher, but they still die fast when doing certain activities. I have an idea to improve survivability, but it could very well backfire :shock:
Features
  • Player owned M3, M4, M5, and Goner Rangers may hire a pilot by choosing "Start Universe Explorer..." from the navigation commands. The ship must be equipped with Explorer Command Software.
  • If an explorer enters a sector marked as 'Foe' in their ships friend/foe settings they will retreat and try to find a different unknown sector. I always put pirates as Foe so they survive. :p
  • As the pilot gains experience they will learn methods to increase the speed of exploring a sector. As with the original Explore Sector command the speed of the scan is very dependent on the installed scanners and speed of the ship.
  • With experience comes more methods of finding unexplored sectors, everything from random known gate wandering to using the players satellite network to communicating with other ships to get directions can eventually be used.
  • Explorers will automatically begin to build up the players satellite network, if one is not in place already. They will also maintain the players satellite network when they notice missing satellites. This feature and the type(s) of satellites used can be toggled in the community menu.
  • Experience also brings wisdom, the pilot will purchase wares needed to explore more efficiently and, eventually, will just order in wares to the edges of space so they never have to stop exploring. Then again their new addiction to exploring is just as bad as their old space weed/fuel addictions due to the 10% delivery surcharge!
  • While Cartographers (level 20) are very efficient at exploring the universe, an explorer can join the ranks of the Goner if certain conditions are met and work their way up to being a Priest (level 24) with full access to the Goner universe guide to aid in finding those last few sectors.
  • Universe explorers can be moved between ships using the 'Move Universe Explorer Pilot...' command under the 'Start Universe Explorer...' command in the navigation commands menu.
  • As they gain experience your explorers will learn to defend themselves by noticing enemies and purchasing items for their defense.
  • Those lucky enough to get high level explorers will see them use jump drives to traverse the universe to quickly replace satellites or find new sectors.
  • Your explorers will now drop short-lived beacons in sectors that they find dangerous to prevent other explorers from entering those sectors.
  • Any ship owned by the player with Navigational Command Software installed can drop a permanent navigational warning beacon to prevent explorers from entering a sector. Elena's Fortune in XTM is a good example sector for this. The command can be found under in your Navigational commands menu and these beacons cost 2000 credits to pay for the permits and raw materials needed.
  • Ships with the default "Your ShipType" will be renamed to "Explorer ShipType" automatically as the explorer software runs. Changing the name of the ship will prevent this.
  • Satellite Deployment Options - You can choose to deploy a single satellite in the center of the sector, enough to cover every gate, and/or enough to cover every station. The options can be mixed and matched to fit your needs.
  • Ship Capturing - Instead of flying out to capture those empty ships your explorers find, they will do it for you. Yes, they even take the spacewalk and risk death...though probably for the bonus finders fee they get!
  • Finders Fees - Explorers get paid a small finders fee for things they find, this fee increases as the explorers level and can be seen in the statistics tracking.
  • Statistics Tracking - By using the menu you can see the complete statistics of any of your explorers. Everything from sectors discovered to flying wares sighted...including how much they have earned in finder fees and how much of your money they have used in buying ship upgrades.
  • Notification Options - You can choose which types of notifications will be sent to you from the possibilities of voice, logbook, and subtitle.
  • Pilot Ejection - Pilots have an increasing chance to eject before their ship is destroyed as they level up. To use an ejected pilot just have one of your ships pick them up and then:
    1. If the new explorer vessel or the ship with the pilot has a transporter device installed, just start the explorer command on the new ship when it is within 5km of the other ship and the pilot will be transfered over automatically.
    2. If both the ship carrying the passenger and a new explorer are docked in the same place the pilot will jump into the ship instead of making a new pilot.
    3. If you transfer the pilot to a new explorer and start exploring he will take the pilots seat.
    4. If the pilot is docked at your your ship that is holding the pilot they will also pilot any newly starting explorer.

There is currently no way to replace an existing explorer with an ejected pilot, you will need a new ship for them!
  • Wanderlust - Pilots will slowly build up stress if they stay in the same areas until they just have to get away and go hopping to some other part of the universe. The more stress they have the more chance they will buy recreational stress relievers too.

Change Log
9/5/2009 - version 2.4.0
1. Bug fixes, untested startup check for AP libraries.
8/5/2009 - version 2.3.0
1. M3 fighters can now use explorer commands
2. Mineral, Duplex, and Triplex scanners now always used if present
3. Player can prioritize the four major functions of Satellites, Asteroids, Exploring, and Buying
4. No bugs to fix... :D
6/23/2009 - version 2.2.0
1. Pilot ejection and recovery
2. wanderlust
3. Fixes for major idle loop bugs
6/18/2009 - version 2.1.2
1. Pathing calculations script fixed
2. Improved buying routines
3. Added sanity/sanitizer to locator controller script
4. Improved behaviour when using information by other ships
5. Explorers communicating with goner owned ships now get goner db access no matter their level
6. Sat deployment scripts no longer drop a random station from the list
7. Explorers using the sat network will now notice empty areas and go fill them
8. Smart pathing libraries now usable by non-player races
9. Consolidated libraries and removed old or unused libraries
6/16/2009 - version 2.1.1
1. Rewrote remote buying wrapper for 2.1 compatability
2. Rewrote smart jumper for 2.1 compatability
3. Rewrote single ware buyer for 2.1 compatability
4. Added exploration database, related menu items, and gate peeking.
5. Misc bug fixes relating to pathing and enemy sectors
5/29/2009 - version 2.1.0
1. Rewrote large portions for use with menus and new options
2. Added ship capturing, gate and station satellite deployments, statistics tracking, micropayments, and some small bug fixes here and there.
5/27/2009 - version 2.0.1
1. Added in al startup script that was forgotten -_-;;
2. Removed colored ship names so log messages work
5/26/2009 - version 2.0.0
1. First public release.
2. New spiral search method compared to old x3r version which, while slower, is much better at finding everything possible.
3. All BBS abilities from x3r version removed.

Technical Details
Command slot used: COMMAND_TYPE_NAV_31
Command slot used: COMMAND_TYPE_NAV_32
Command slot used: COMMAND_TYPE_NAV_33
Text File Used: 8971-L044 Feel free to translate it!
Text ID Used: 8971

Leveling
Warning: If you are watching your explorer on the sector map they will only gain xp from placing satellites or scanning asteroids because the game engine marks found objects as known before the script can 'find' them. So stop micromanaging if you want them to level! :p

Marked as spoiler for those that don't want to know how to power-level their explorers :p
Spoiler
Show
Discovering a sector - 6 xp
Discovering a sector owned by 'Unknown Race' - 40 xp
Discovering a station - 1 xp
Discovering a gate - 2 xp
Scanning an asteroid with >25 resource - 1 xp
Scanning an asteroid with Nvidium - 100 xp
Placing a satellite in a sector without one - 1 xp
Explorers also have a chance of gaining 1xp upon entering any sector, this change decreases as their level increases.

So sectors with lots of stations are the best way to level up your little explorer and, later in life, asteroids add up quickly. Eventually the entire universe will be known though and level progression, besides satellite replacement and very minor movement experience, will come to an end.
Level/Upgrade Chart

Code: Select all

Lvl - Upgrade
01 - Random wandering search, Slow spiral exploration, Navigational Command Software, Shields
03 - Smart wandering search, Duplex Scanner
05 - Gate corners faster search method
07 - Remember passed unexplored sectors, Triplex Scanner, Fight Command Mk 1, missile purchases, plot flying wares
09 - Micro-sector fast search, Communicate with other ships to learn route to their destination
10 - Fight Command Mk 2, Fighter Drones
13 - 1 Sector Satellite Network Usage, Mineral Scanner, No more addiction
15 - 2 Sector SatNet Usage, Delivery Service, small Goner rep gain for discoveries
17 - 3 Sector SatNet Usage, Video Enhancement Goggles
19 - 4 Sector SatNet Usage, more Goner rep for discoveries
21 - 5 Sector SatNet Usage, Communicate with goner ships for route to unknown areas
23 - Jumpdrive
24 - Access to Goner universe maps to know how to get to remaining unknown sectors, but the player cannot know until you visit them!
Rank Names

Code: Select all

1	Goner Reject
3	Traveler
5	Journeyer
7	Finder
9	Explorer
11	Adventurer
13	Discoverer
15	Pioneer
17	Scout
19	Cartographer
21	Believer
22	Disciple
23	Missionary
24	Priest

Special Requirements for Final 4 Ranks
Spoiler
Show
21 - Must have communicated with a Goner Ship and been 'converted'
22 - Must have found a sector owned by Unknown race
23 - Must have a Jumpdrive equipped
24 - Must have found a Nvidium asteroid
Known Bugs
Please note that response to bug and feature requests may be slow since I am rather busy and download statistics show this script has only a minor following
1. Level 23+ explorers in ships that do not hold enough energy for jumping a decent distance will wander into their endpoint sector without checking to see if it is an enemy sector...consider them self absorbed or something :p
2. Restricted sectors are still thought of as friendly until the explorer is attacked

Planned Features
1. Your idea here!

Compatibility/Conflicts
No known conflicts at this time. Please report any you notice since I play a rather clean game with few mods.

Used Script Credits
  • The astar routine used in the ap libraries for safe travel are adapted from the originals by AalaarDB, as I could not find a valid copy for TC I ported them. They have also been altered to disallow travel through sectors that are not yet known, belong to an enemy race, or have a navigational warning beacon.
  • Some sector scanning code was adapted from a Xai corporation script, though it is so heavily modified by now it is almost unrecognizable...I forget what script it came from, may have been the x3r bonus pack.
Thanks to
DannyD & Life Bringer - For an Italian translations of the text file
Egosoft - For a game that is highly modable
Last edited by 7ate9tin11s on Sat, 5. Sep 09, 10:54, edited 24 times in total.

xiriod
x3tc

Post by xiriod » Tue, 26. May 09, 07:30

You sir, are a mind reader! I wished for this yesterday, and here it is. Thank you! :)

7ate9tin11s
x4

Post by 7ate9tin11s » Tue, 26. May 09, 07:53

xiriod wrote:You sir, are a mind reader! I wished for this yesterday, and here it is. Thank you! :)
Well, I am so used to having it for my games that it was painful to do all the exploring myself. Next, I think pirate terrorism tactics are in order to make life more interesting since the universe seems too safe :twisted:

xiriod
x3tc

Post by xiriod » Tue, 26. May 09, 08:07

What about random events? For example, if he encounters a abandoned ship he sends you a message asking for a bonus? :) Or he goes on strike until he gets salary claiming he hasn't been paid for a long time? Or if he encounters some pirate structures, perhaps he gets drunk and is disabled for a while or even his ships gets stolen so you have to forward some cash for a new ship? :D

The latter could also let you choose which ship he'll fly perhaps. Just some thoughts. I look forward to testing this when I get home from work!

7ate9tin11s
x4

Post by 7ate9tin11s » Tue, 26. May 09, 08:20

xiriod wrote:What about random events? For example, if he encounters a abandoned ship he sends you a message asking for a bonus? :) Or he goes on strike until he gets salary claiming he hasn't been paid for a long time? Or if he encounters some pirate structures, perhaps he gets drunk and is disabled for a while or even his ships gets stolen so you have to forward some cash for a new ship? :D

The latter could also let you choose which ship he'll fly perhaps. Just some thoughts. I look forward to testing this when I get home from work!
All interesting ideas:
Abandoned Ships - Currently they do not scan for these, but ut should be fairly simple to add, I could even have them close in, hop out in their space suit, and claim it for you (I think!).
Going on Strike - The explorers already take breaks from time to time and a strike would probably just be annoying to the player. Though it should not be hard to add as an option for those that want it.
Getting Smashed - They already do. Sometimes low level explorers will buy spaceweed and space fuel and take extended breaks to...um...clean out their cargo bays. :P
Stolen Ships - Considering the amount of money the explorers use in upgrading their own ships on your tab this could be really painful.

I really like the abandoned ship idea, I think that will go in soon :D

xiriod
x3tc

Post by xiriod » Tue, 26. May 09, 08:39

7ate9tin11s wrote:All interesting ideas:
Abandoned Ships - Currently they do not scan for these, but ut should be fairly simple to add, I could even have them close in, hop out in their space suit, and claim it for you (I think!).
Going on Strike - The explorers already take breaks from time to time and a strike would probably just be annoying to the player. Though it should not be hard to add as an option for those that want it.
Getting Smashed - They already do. Sometimes low level explorers will buy spaceweed and space fuel and take extended breaks to...um...clean out their cargo bays. :P
Stolen Ships - Considering the amount of money the explorers use in upgrading their own ships on your tab this could be really painful.

I really like the abandoned ship idea, I think that will go in soon :D
About abandoned ships. Remember that some people use the NPC Bailing Addon, so auto-claiming ships can lead to you have a lot of cleanup to do :) So perhaps this could be an option to turn on/off?

If all things could be turned on/off in a configuration menu for the player, I am sure many would be happy. And no requests for releasing the plain version either :) This script has great potential! Only the imagination is the limit :wink:

CaptainRAVE
x4

Post by CaptainRAVE » Tue, 26. May 09, 20:05

This sounds like a great script (anything to stop me manually placing satellites everywhere!). However, is it a problem if you have already discovered most of the sectors (if not all). I guess they can still level up by scanning asteroids.

Also, do they buy their own equipment?

And finally, do you have to pay the pilots? If not this is something that should be implemented.

One final FINAL thought...do they log stats e.g. how many asteroids they have scanned, sectors found, satellites placed etc.?

Once again, thanks for this great script! Will start running it and seeing how it works :)

xiriod
x3tc

Re: [script] Universe Explorers v2.0: Update May 26

Post by xiriod » Tue, 26. May 09, 21:33

7ate9tin11s wrote:Explorers will automatically begin to build up the players satellite network, if one is not in place already. They will also maintain the players satellite network when they notice missing satellites. This feature and the type(s) of satellites used can be toggled in your artificial life menu.

What artificial life menu? :) I looked in the AL menu, I have other scripts there but this one does not show up though.

Also, I gave him a fully pimped Solano with all the bells and whistles installed and let him loose. He went in to Aladna Hill, dropped a AdvSat a the center and moved on to Light of Heart. There he proceeded to take a trip around the sector spiraling inwards three times. Then went to the center and dropped an AdvSat.

After that he went to Montalaar, proceeded to the left of the gate and stopped. He's been sitting there for almost 2 hours in-game time while I SETA'd and he's not moving. Bug?

And he's still lvl1 ;)

Restarted him, and let him fly through the gate ti Akeela's Beacon. Strange thing happened, he wound up on the far side of the map far away from the gate. Then he proceeded towards the game and then started mapping the sector. He did not use his jumpdrive.

He started to map Akeela's Beacon, but only mapped about 80% of it and stopped. He did not find the south gate. When I restarted him he wanted to return to Aladna Hill. I moved him around manually, and found the south gate and restarted him. He then proceeded through the south gate.

He mapped Legends Home, and stopped. I docked him, and let him have some more AdvSats and restarted him. He put an AdvSat in Legends Home and proceeded to Akeela's Beacon where he put an AdvSat in the middle of the sector. Now he's on his way to the Teladi Trading station to buy something which turned out to be illegal space weed and proceeds to Legends Home again.

In the end he went in and out of Legends Home until I stopped him. I guess the script doesn't handle dead-ends so well :) And he didn't even hit the bong ;)

Well, after a while he did hit the bong. But he recovered fast. In the end he did find his way out, with a little help.

Two things. When he's stuck or can't find his way, perhaps a message in the player. Also if he stops for some reason, a message would be nice :) Of course if he stops as often as he did with me it could be spamming :D

Second, placement of satellites. In small sectors this works out pretty nice. In larger sectors he just dropped one at the center and stopped, or moved on.

And, if anyone needs to uninstall this script is it just enough to delete the files? Or is there some kind of uninstall procedure?

7ate9tin11s
x4

Re: [script] Universe Explorers v2.0: Update May 26

Post by 7ate9tin11s » Wed, 27. May 09, 01:58

xiriod wrote: What artificial life menu? :) I looked in the AL menu, I have other scripts there but this one does not show up though.
Your problem has been traced to a mod author that forgot to include the al start script in a release...or at least that is the biggest problem :oops: :shock: :cry:

Re-uploading it now and I will take a look at your other issues. To uninstall completely just stop any explorers by setting their command to none or telling them to do anything else, save your game, exit and remove the scripts and your good. For upgrading when I get 2.0.1 up you just overwrite the files and the explorer engine will upgrade itself automatically.
CaptainRAVE wrote:Also, do they buy their own equipment?
Yes, and at low levels sometimes they buy recreational items for use as well :roll:
CaptainRAVE wrote:And finally, do you have to pay the pilots? If not this is something that should be implemented.

One final FINAL thought...do they log stats e.g. how many asteroids they have scanned, sectors found, satellites placed etc.?
Currently you do not pay them and there is no tracking, I think combining the two would work well, you pay them for objects found. Something like:
Sector - 100 * level
Station - 10 * level
Asteroid - 1 * level
Scanned Asteroid - 1 * level
Placed Sat - 2 * level
etc...
Micropayments are killers :roll:
xiriod wrote:Also, I gave him a fully pimped Solano with all the bells and whistles installed and let him loose.
Nice, but potentially an expensive mistake since a level 1 does not have the smarts to use most of that equipment. Also, the explorers will automatically buy upgrades (and even shields!) as they level up so there is no reason to pimp out their starting ship. I just buy a Discoverer S, give it Engine tunings and explorer software and tell it to do its thing. Cheap and effective ;)
xiriod wrote:And he's still lvl1
Of course he is, since your watching him so closely you are getting credit for finding objects, not him! This is a limitation of the game, if the player is viewing a remote sector objects are marked as known before the script can 'find' them and give xp credit. I will put a note about this in the main post.
xiriod wrote:He started to map Akeela's Beacon, but only mapped about 80% of it and stopped. He did not find the south gate. When I restarted him he wanted to return to Aladna Hill. I moved him around manually, and found the south gate and restarted him. He then proceeded through the south gate.
This is because the explorers don't cheat and assume every jump gate is positioned at the same distance from the center of the sector (though they slowly get over this assumption as they level up). Also, since the explorer is low level they do not know how to use duplex or triplex scanners so both their spiral and object tagging range are limited to an unmodified ship.
xiriod wrote:In the end he went in and out of Legends Home until I stopped him. I guess the script doesn't handle dead-ends so well And he didn't even hit the bong
Until level 3 pilots just use a plain random hunt for sectors next to unexplored sectors. As for the drug usage...he was just flying back and forth between sectors...are you sure he was not on something? :roll:
Last edited by 7ate9tin11s on Wed, 27. May 09, 02:59, edited 1 time in total.

Makita
x4

Post by Makita » Wed, 27. May 09, 02:40

I'm a little confused about the dates of your mod saying 2008? or is that a mistake

7ate9tin11s
x4

Post by 7ate9tin11s » Wed, 27. May 09, 03:01

Makita wrote:I'm a little confused about the dates of your mod saying 2008? or is that a mistake
:oops: :oops: :oops:

fixed... ><;;

CaptainRAVE
x4

Post by CaptainRAVE » Wed, 27. May 09, 13:41

Been using this for a day now...working really well! Have 5 of these in Argon Discoverers all at level 5...the levelling is slow, not helped by the fact that I have discovered most of the sectors already!

Also, as mentioned above, even in big sectors they are only placing one satellite! This isn't enough.

xiriod
x3tc

Post by xiriod » Wed, 27. May 09, 13:44

I think there are some other satellite placement scripts made that could be modified to work with this script though?

7ate9tin11s
x4

Post by 7ate9tin11s » Wed, 27. May 09, 16:02

Personally I just use satellites so my trading system extension works so one is all I really use. I see how more can be useful though so would the following methods cover everyones needs?

1. Just the one in the middle as it is now
2. Coverage of all gates by using 1 to 4 sats
3. Coverage of all gates and stations, but empty areas in between are not covered
4. A filled box with the corners being the gates
5. A filled box with the middle of the sides being the gates

Methods 2 and 3 are fairly easy to implement both the initial deployment and detection/replacement of destroyed sats. 4 and 5 are a bit tough for detection/replacement, but I think it is possible...though I would hope you have several advanced sat factories to do 4 or 5!

CaptainRAVE
x4

Post by CaptainRAVE » Wed, 27. May 09, 16:09

One satellite is defintely better than nothing. Like you say it has its uses. However, out of the list I would prefer:

2. Coverage of all gates by using 1 to 4 sats AND one in the middle :). I think that will result in best coverage for most systems, whilst not using too many satellites. Another option of course might be to make a few of the option available to the user in some kind of menu. That might be a lot of work though!

Lets see what everyone else think...

Still loving this script by the way.

xiriod
x3tc

Post by xiriod » Wed, 27. May 09, 16:18

Yes, no. 2 is preferable. But it could be set as a choice in a menu perhaps? So peeps can have a couple of choices for what they like :)

7ate9tin11s
x4

Post by 7ate9tin11s » Wed, 27. May 09, 16:25

Yes, I will be making a configuration menu to do all of this fun stuff, but I am a bit caught up in another small project atm :roll:

Oh, minor bug caught and fixed: The message in the logbook on the death of an explorer was formatted wrong. No release for it, but fixed in the next release. By the way, the Yaki seem to like waiting at gates to kill the explorers -_-

xiriod
x3tc

Re: [script] Universe Explorers v2.0.1: Update May 27

Post by xiriod » Wed, 27. May 09, 17:03

Question, will the explorer also gain bonuses to ship speed and maneuverability at higher levels as well? Mechanical/Engineering bonuses :)

7ate9tin11s
x4

Re: [script] Universe Explorers v2.0.1: Update May 27

Post by 7ate9tin11s » Thu, 28. May 09, 02:50

xiriod wrote:Question, will the explorer also gain bonuses to ship speed and maneuverability at higher levels as well? Mechanical/Engineering bonuses :)
They will buy engine tunings, cargo expansions, and rudder tunings, but only to the normal ship maximums. This does not prevent you from overtuning their ships with another script though.

MutantDwarf
x4

Post by MutantDwarf » Thu, 28. May 09, 03:08

Option 2 is best for most systems, but Option 3 would be great for the Aldrin system.

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude - Scripts and Modding”