Hub Mission 1: Keep dying in Xenon Sector, Need Tips X3TC

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

JeffreyW75
x4

Hub Mission 1: Keep dying in Xenon Sector, Need Tips X3TC

Post by JeffreyW75 » Mon, 11. May 09, 15:42

I am playing the vanilla version of X3TC (version 2.0), have a decent size fleet, and just started the Hub Missions. I took my fully-equipped Boreas to fly into Xenon Sector 023, and as soon as I enter the Xenon sector that lies just before sector 023 (I forget the number on it), I get ambushed by a bunch of Xenon ships waiting on the other side of the gate. My Boreas lasts for about 30 seconds to a minute, and then is destroyed by all of the incoming fire on it. I can't jump into the sector at a different position, as I have not explored the sector yet and the jumpgates are not revealed. I have to fly into the sector.

This is the first time my Boreas hasn't been able to handle a sector on its own, so I was pretty surprised. It is also my only M2, although I have funds to purchase another one if necessary. I have some Centaurs, Heavy Centaurs, Osprey, etc, as well as some M3's. But I didn't want to fly them into the sector and get destroyed as they come through the gate.

So does anyone have any suggestions on how to best beat this mission? Is there a different M2 I should be using? Or is it better to grab a fast ship and just fly through all of the sectors as quickly as possible and complete the mission? I don't have the Terran level to buy a Springblossom, so that isn't a possibility yet--I lost several levels when my dedicated satellite deployer on autopilot flew into a restricted Terran sector to deploy satellites, automatically released fighter drones, and I suddenly started getting messages that I was losing Terran rank before I figured out what was happening.

I think my fighting level is "Fighter Chief".
Jeff

mactruck81

Post by mactruck81 » Mon, 11. May 09, 15:51

try getting a fast m5 with a jump drive, and loaded with e-cells. Once your in the sector gun it, and reveal the other gates. May need to do some fancy flying. if the heat gets too high jump away.

i speak from not having gotten that far in game yet so take that with a grain of salt and 2 shakes of pepper.

delray
x3tc

Post by delray » Mon, 11. May 09, 15:55

Either go strong (M2s, M7s, wings of fighters and with bomber support) or go fast (Kestel, Jaguar Rider).

mad_axeman
x3tc

Post by mad_axeman » Mon, 11. May 09, 16:36

It's quite easy to do it in a Discoverer Hauler. As soon as you exit the gate. Fly straight up (or down). Then fly to where you reckon the other gate is (the sectore isn't huge and visibility is excellent so you should be able to see it) and fly down behind the gate, then into the back of the gate. Like this:

Code: Select all

+---------------------------------------+
  |                                       |
  |    X X xx xx  x                       |
  |                x  x                   |
G |   x  x  x x xx                    G   |
G |                                   G   |
G-+             x     xx              G<--+
G             X                       G    
G                        xx           G    
where each pillar of G is a gate and x & X are Xenon ships.

EmperorJon
x3tc

Post by EmperorJon » Mon, 11. May 09, 17:42

It's really much easier. Get a Kestrel, fly into the first sector, now your mission guidance is showing you the gate on the other side. Click on it to register it, then jump to it and fly through. Repeat, and your there.
______
I'm Jon. I'm mostly not around any more. If you want to talk, please message me! It's cool.
______

JeffreyW75
x4

Post by JeffreyW75 » Mon, 11. May 09, 19:10

Thanks for all the help on this. It sounds like the way to go is the fast ship route--I don't really want to lose lots of fighters and such trying to battle it through--too costly. Again, thanks for the quick and good info. And I really appreciate the little map. I will give this a try tonight hopefully.
Jeff

The_Unforgiven

Post by The_Unforgiven » Mon, 11. May 09, 20:17

I managed it in my Vidar. I had to jink but it was fast enough to get through.

Pisces1

Post by Pisces1 » Tue, 12. May 09, 04:53

In a kestral the stealth method probably isn't necassary, your faster than all the Ns anyway. A slower ship could also do it if it has turrets to destroy faster ships, e.g. springblossom, Hyperion etc.

I do vouch by stealth method though, it got my Angel through 2 xenon sectors in the lost lar start.

TTD
x4

Post by TTD » Tue, 12. May 09, 22:58

I did it in my Katana.

I just jumped direct to the east gate of X627, turned on the spot and entered the gate into the Hub.Lost only 4% shielding from a few xenon shots ,but that soon returned.

delray
x3tc

Post by delray » Tue, 12. May 09, 23:14

What guns do you have on your Katana?

Gizmocat
x3tc

Post by Gizmocat » Wed, 13. May 09, 13:39

I had a wholly different solution for this - with mission guidance on, the gate seemed to be highlighted, all I had to do was select it, and jump to it, one quick turn around, and I was through - I was in a Skate Prototype at the time...

JeffreyW75
x4

Post by JeffreyW75 » Wed, 13. May 09, 14:22

Thanks again for all the help. I basically just bought and equipped a Kestrel, and it rocketed through all the sectors and brought me to the hub. I didn't have to engage any enemies, and probably didn't need any extra equipment either (apart from the speed-related ones). I have now begun the next missions on the hub.
Jeff

Teebor
x4

Post by Teebor » Wed, 13. May 09, 14:35

JeffreyW75 wrote:Thanks again for all the help. I basically just bought and equipped a Kestrel, and it rocketed through all the sectors and brought me to the hub. I didn't have to engage any enemies, and probably didn't need any extra equipment either (apart from the speed-related ones). I have now begun the next missions on the hub.
Having an equipped Kestrel to hand is always good :)

Grats on getting that storyline arc going

TTD
x4

Post by TTD » Wed, 13. May 09, 20:03

@ delray

My Katana has been fitted with 12 EMPCs , 5 x 200 MJ shields and 1 Rapier Missile.

I just jumped in,turned 180 degrees,( pressing J while using joystick to turn ,speeds up the process),then boost through gate to the Hub.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Thu, 14. May 09, 08:32

TTD wrote: I just jumped in,turned 180 degrees,( pressing J while using joystick to turn ,speeds up the process),then boost through gate to the Hub.
In order to do that you must already have mapped the jumpgate in the Xenon sector, though, which would again require either a fast ship or some nimble footwork in a capital vessel.

delray
x3tc

Post by delray » Thu, 14. May 09, 08:41

I recently was there test-driving my Brig after I gave it 2xPPC+6xGC on sides... and it didn't look that grim at all inside.

Seriously, if you can't afford a ship that can rip through those sectors to reach the destination... you can't afford doing that plot either.

mad_axeman
x3tc

Post by mad_axeman » Thu, 14. May 09, 12:16

What? That's rubbish!
I can't afford a ship like that, but I'm quite happily progressing with the hub missions.

TTD
x4

Post by TTD » Fri, 15. May 09, 21:21

pjknibbs replied
In order to do that you must already have mapped the jumpgate in the Xenon sector, though, which would again require either a fast ship or some nimble footwork in a capital vessel.
When I start any X game,I usually make my first mission mapping all the accessible universe. Of course,picking up any credits along the way and getting at least one trader working for me as soon as possible.

Therefore,by the time I id the hub start,the gates were already mapped.

Elektrofusion

Post by Elektrofusion » Mon, 18. May 09, 18:25

I kill them all. M7 Deimos(3xPSG + 3xHETP+2xIron Shard Railguns + canons=FAA). I have problem to buy teladianium 140000 and ore for hub!

Patrol boron sector: M7 Deimos v.s. xenon=320.000.000 cr + angry boron shipyard(accidentally fire).

try Split Jaguar Vanguard. 023 have 2 gates(north + east)