doubleshadow's X3 Editor (0.15 - patch 2.0 compatible)

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Reunion.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

Wesley Franken
x4

Post by Wesley Franken » Wed, 14. Nov 07, 20:19

Soul3dge wrote:I was having the same problem as Wesley, apparently altering the tships.pck but it having no effect in game.
After a lot of rooting around i discovered that Vista doesn't like programs that write information into certain folders (Program Files, Windows etc) and so it decides to create a copy of whatever your changing and stick it in to a virtual store. It tricks the app into thinking all is well but, of course, X3 reads from the correct folder while the editor is changing the dummy. I suppose its not really a problem with the editor more an issue with Vista.

I understand that if you have the editor set as 'run as admin' then it should alter the correct files but i didn't have much luck and had to disable UAC to allow it to work correctly.

Anyway just a heads up as more of us change over to microsofts latest offering its bound to catch a few people out.
So that is the problem, because I have vista too, quite a bummer then :(

NeonSamurai
x3

Post by NeonSamurai » Thu, 21. Feb 08, 21:38

Found a couple of bugs with your programs, including a few game killer bugs

1. TShip editing, if you directly enter weapon/missle values into the raw data areas 18 and/or 24, your program will put .000000 on the end of the number. This breaks the game as the game will be unable to read beyond this (took me almost a day of examining the TShips file by hand to find this problem), and will only show ships in game up to the last ship that doesnt have .00000 at the end.

2. TCockpits editing, Same problem with weapons as the above when editing the raw data, but also it does the same thing if you enter the number into the info tab under "possible lasers". The problem is also that it is entering .000000 after the number. This also breaks the game as the game wont be able to read the TCockpit file and will default to the weapons listed in TShips for the turrets.

3. TMissles editing, this one is a simple bug your companion mod manager program does not recognise that TMissles can be edited with your TXT editor, and instead opens it with notepad or wordpad. Manually opening it using your txt editor works fine though.

Anyhow thought you might like to know :) Its a really nice set of programs you made, and makes editing so much easier.

Btw incase anyone else runs into these bugs, this is how you fix them

1. Re-enter the numbers into the "possible lasers" and/or "possible missiles" in the "weapons" tab, or go into the "front lasers" and/or "front missles" tabs and alter the weapons list (add and remove a weapon or vice versa)

2. This one i think you can fix by going into the turret info tab and altering the weapons list. I fixed it pulling the TCockpits file out of its cat&dat file and manualy searching for and removing all .000000 entries with notepad

Lastly I hope I haven't necroed this post, I do not know if the author is still around or not, but I figured he may want to know about the bugs, and also this may be helpful to other modders who may stumble on these problems and not be able to fix them.

Jakesnake5
x4

Post by Jakesnake5 » Fri, 22. Feb 08, 00:40

Editing in the 'raw' area is always 'use at your own risk' behavior.

Best to use the correct area to avoid the strangeness you discovered. :D
Perfection is in the hands of God, we bags of dirt can only do the best we can©
[ external image ]
Modders are a source of ideas to help the Game Makers improve what they have made. Cherrish them, for they are the fruit of thy labors.©

NeonSamurai
x3

Post by NeonSamurai » Fri, 22. Feb 08, 07:19

True, but its much quicker that way with weapons then manually choosing them one by one for each ship your modding. You want to bash your head against the monitor after doing 25-30 ships that way. ;)

Also the TCockpits part even when entering it into the info section (in adition to the raw area) still messes up.

wolfmanjack321
x3

Post by wolfmanjack321 » Sat, 10. May 08, 13:22

All i get when trying to open up a file is Error loading from file; File contains Bad data.

I have 10 different searches going on atm trying to figure out why i am having this issue. Nothing yet

Anyone have idea's ?

What i am trying to do is change the player HQ's storage space from 500k to 5 mill But i can not open the file with the X3mm program.

Is 2.5 not supported ?

Meltdown

Post by Meltdown » Tue, 15. Jul 08, 13:42

Having some trouble with the editor.

I used it to alter the ships pirates would fly, enabling all races and TS class. This worked.

Later on I also used it to enable mass drivers in my Hyperion's main guns and turrets. This also worked.

Now I've decided mass drivers suck, so I've again modified the tships and tcockpits files to remove the mass drivers and add APPCs to the main guns and PBEs and Kyon emitters to the turrets. And it's not working anymore.

The editor shows the modifications even after I close it and reload the cat/dat file, and the external model/stat viewer recognizes them too, but the game no longer does. My Hyperion's weapon abilities don't change.

I'm sure this is not the Vista file handling problems; the tships gets modified, or the model viewer wouldn't see the changes. Besides, I don't have Vista; I'm running XPSP3.

It's got to be a problem with X3, but I don't know what. I tried docking and undocking and jumping to different sectors, but nothing changes.

Any suggestions?
Eat, drink and be merry, for tomorrow you may die.

eladan
x4

Post by eladan » Wed, 16. Jul 08, 03:23

The changes won't take effect on an existing object. You'll have to destroy your Hyperion and create a new one.

Meltdown

Post by Meltdown » Wed, 16. Jul 08, 14:43

But they did take effect on an existing object; when I added mass driver capacity it was there on my existing hyperion, I didn't have to create a new one. Besides, in desperation I did actually try creating a new one, and it was exactly identical.

iks3

Post by iks3 » Wed, 16. Jul 08, 16:11

Meltdown wrote:But they did take effect on an existing object; when I added mass driver capacity it was there on my existing hyperion, I didn't have to create a new one. Besides, in desperation I did actually try creating a new one, and it was exactly identical.
Try it without the Khaak-Weapons, for they seem to need some extra settings, as also the Terran-Weapons do.

Once I added EMPs to a ship, it didn´t want to mount anything else.

Meltdown

Post by Meltdown » Wed, 16. Jul 08, 19:02

Huh, now the changes have been recorded. Seems like I just have to wait some time for them to register... weird.

iks3

Post by iks3 » Wed, 16. Jul 08, 22:19

Meltdown wrote:Huh, now the changes have been recorded. Seems like I just have to wait some time for them to register... weird.
Can it be that you have to change the sector once
(fly through a gate) for the changes to "register" ?

Meltdown

Post by Meltdown » Thu, 17. Jul 08, 01:13

I tried that, but it made no difference.

Hmm, actually I used the energy-free advanced jumpdrive to change sector, so maybe the game didn't register it, it being a mod and all. Perhaps you need to actually go through a gate or use the normal jumpdrive.

I'll research this more the next time I modify something.

bluebird1927
x2

A problem with the doubleshadow galaxy editor

Post by bluebird1927 » Mon, 1. Sep 08, 15:55

I am doing some minor editing on the galaxy map, adding asteroids and changing the hidden ships. When I am saving the changes to the CAT/DAT file the editor stops responding and wont close down unless I close it via the task manager.
When I load X3 up and start a new game (normal with plot) I appear in a random sector with all the stations removed. I try deleting the edited files and load the original but the same thing happens. Even if I completly uninstall the game and re-install, it still keeps happening. I am having to format my entire HD and re-install vista and X3 for the game to go back to normal.
Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong?
Btw I using the latest patch for the editor and the 2.5 patch with the game with the Bonus pack and cockpit mod.
Intel E8400
HD4850
Seagate 250GB
Vista Premium 64bit

falcont
x3tc

Viewer for X3_Editor

Post by falcont » Fri, 8. May 09, 17:07

Hi all. Can someone tell me whitch 3D Viewer to use with the X3_Editor.
I have got The Bod viewer but can not understand any of the text,
Can some one please help

{Forum Rule No 12: merge. jlehtone}

MBD
x3tc

Post by MBD » Fri, 8. May 09, 20:58

"We always were English and we always will be English and it's because we are English that we're sticking up for our rights to be Burgundians." - Passport to Pimlico 1949

PHOENIXHEAT
x3

Post by PHOENIXHEAT » Mon, 29. Apr 13, 22:52

Hey Doubleshadow your download site is blocked. I wanted to update the X3 files I have as I not long ago re-installed X3:R after playing x3:AP for last several months and this is what I get when trying to access your site. See link: http://safebrowsing.clients.google.com/ ... wz.cz/x3e/ Even accessing your site from the link's added in this thread are being blocked. I'm not sure you're aware of your site being blocked so thought it good idea just in case to let you know.

Terran Jupiter
xr

Post by Terran Jupiter » Sat, 7. Jan 17, 22:18

Hi all i have created a map and added it to a new folder that i called maps then i extracted from X3 Editer 2 the jobs and job wings files to a folder i called X4 and then i put that folder into my addon folder in X3 AP which is where my X4 Map foler is but nothing happends when i load up game i got my map but no AI Ships doing things what am i doing wrong?

Return to “X³: Reunion - Scripts and Modding”