x3-LAN-Multiplayer (Egosoft, READ!!!)

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Maximiliator

x3-LAN-Multiplayer (Egosoft, READ!!!)

Post by Maximiliator » Tue, 3. Mar 09, 20:10

i know ,i know... this was already posted thousands of times... but the more the better...

I just wanted to make egosoft KNOW, that they d better put a Multiplayer Mode into TC !
I m a big Fan of the X-series, and i used many days of my life flying around in the X Universe, enjoing it a lot, trading, growing and fighting !

There are huge amounts of possibilities in x3. It is really fun to build up a huge economic empire or rising the many ranks with the different races ! :)

BUT it shouldnt be to complicated to imply a at least a LAN-Multiplayer function ! :evil:

If i could play, cooperate, trade and fight with some friends (4 or so) the fun would be like a 1000 times more ! There would be a sense behind the hours of playing (together) ! Like the "X-Universe" idea. Just realize it for now with the already existing X3 Universe !

I beg of you developers to put in a Multiplayer function. Or if u'd release a extension or a patch with expanding it. that would be just great !

Sincerely,

Max

K-64
x3tc

Post by K-64 » Tue, 3. Mar 09, 20:12

The game would take too long to get anywhere decent in a LAN game as they last a few hours tops don't they?

Maximiliator

Post by Maximiliator » Tue, 3. Mar 09, 20:17

in summer vacations i occasonally stay at a friends 2 - 3 month. Other friends bring der PC's and Laptops, and we play. And i keep playing x3 for days WITHOUT friends. Now with friends theres a real challenge since one wants to get creds faster !

If the host could safe the universe and later the players would join in again (like in "Patrizier") one can play every day some time !

Max

andymac
x3tc

Re: x3-LAN-Multiplayer (Egosoft, READ!!!)

Post by andymac » Tue, 3. Mar 09, 20:20

Maximiliator wrote:BUT it shouldnt be to complicated to imply a at least a LAN-Multiplayer function ! :evil:
If it was that easy, they'd have done it. Still, you're welcome to try :roll:

And how exactly do you propose for SETA to work?

euclid
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by euclid » Tue, 3. Mar 09, 21:26

Maximiliator wrote: ...it shouldnt be to complicated to imply a at least a LAN-Multiplayer function...
That is where you are wrong. Implementing even a LAN version would require a new game engine.

Cheers Euclid
"In any special doctrine of nature there can be only as much proper science as there is mathematics therein.”
- Immanuel Kant (1724-1804), Metaphysical Foundations of the Science of Nature, 4:470, 1786

NeverSnake
x3tc

Post by NeverSnake » Tue, 3. Mar 09, 22:39

Maximiliator wrote:BUT it shouldnt be to complicated to imply a at least a LAN-Multiplayer function ! :evil:
Well you could use the same ship and station models but the gate system would have to be overhauled (can you imagine four players all trying to jump their fleets in at once?), a large portion of the scripts and code rewritten so it no longer assumes a single player, quite a few game mechanics like death (you can't reload with other people playing) and seta rethought, reworking of the combat autopilot so it knows how to deal with multiple players at once, addition and testing of networking code (probably with quite a bit of optimisation given how much data there is, assuming it's possible without a central server at all), new GUI and coding so the players can do simple things like give a ship to someone else and all that's before you start talking about proper multi-player content like missions designed for more than one person or ships that can have several people in them.
"There's an old story about the person who wished his computer were as easy to use as his telephone. That wish has come true, since I no longer know how to use my telephone" — Bjarne Stroustrup

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Tue, 3. Mar 09, 22:40

Maximiliator wrote:i know ,i know... this was already posted thousands of times... but the more the better.......
No, not really. :roll:
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

maphys
x3tc

Post by maphys » Tue, 3. Mar 09, 23:34

No, not really.
Really really not really.

M

amtie
x3tc

Post by amtie » Tue, 3. Mar 09, 23:36

I would like to tell you that it is probably 99% possible that this is a lost cause. But i will wish you good luck, lest you still have the urge for MP:TC.

Deadbeat_Spinn
x3tc

Post by Deadbeat_Spinn » Tue, 3. Mar 09, 23:45

Although I do like and play MP based games (generally a first/third person shooter or racing game) I prefer a game like X to be a solo venture due to the complexity of the game.

That said its time to move on to X4: Rise Of The Sohnen. :)

fintoozler
x3tc

Post by fintoozler » Tue, 3. Mar 09, 23:45

Weee another multiplayer thread to jump on!

Ahem...

Anyway I think it's pretty clear that people like the idea of multiplayer and most of the gameplay issues can be covered by one or more of the ideas that have popped up in these threads over the years (SETA by agreement, everyone hits J it runs until someone breaks it etc).

It's a simple matter of dollars for donuts here Egosoft DOES see the value but the investment carries a risk and that risk has not been deemed worth the money at this time, until that changes sadly I think mutliplayer is a long way off.

Arcturas
x4

Post by Arcturas » Tue, 3. Mar 09, 23:54

No.
The Gobs of Bog will consume you all.

twisticals

Post by twisticals » Wed, 4. Mar 09, 00:10

Freelancer did it...

Deadbeat_Spinn
x3tc

Post by Deadbeat_Spinn » Wed, 4. Mar 09, 00:13

This isn't Freelancer. Or EVE for that matter.

These sort of threads tend to pop up at least once a month (since I've become active in the forums).

Wolf-R1

Post by Wolf-R1 » Wed, 4. Mar 09, 00:18

Maximiliator wrote:I just wanted to make egosoft KNOW, that they d better put a Multiplayer Mode into TC !
:roll: Because you whiny, entitlement types get what you want when you try to shove your ideas down the throats of developers or anyone for that matter, right?

:roll: When was the last time you were a developer and added network code to an already quite complex game?
Maximiliator wrote:If i could play, cooperate, trade and fight with some friends (4 or so) the fun would be like a 1000 times more ! There would be a sense behind the hours of playing (together) ! Like the "X-Universe" idea. Just realize it for now with the already existing X3 Universe !

I beg of you developers to put in a Multiplayer function. Or if u'd release a extension or a patch with expanding it. that would be just great !

Sincerely,

Max

No one can argue that multiplayer would be a hell of a lot of fun but it's more work than you are aware of.

Rapier
x3tc

Post by Rapier » Wed, 4. Mar 09, 00:27

Wolf-R1 wrote:
Maximiliator wrote:I just wanted to make egosoft KNOW, that they d better put a Multiplayer Mode into TC !
:roll: Because you whiny, entitlement types get what you want when you try to shove your ideas down the throats of developers or anyone for that matter, right?
By all means have this debate (again) but keep off the personal comments please.
Rapier - The Orifice of all Knowledge

Godwin's Law is not one of the Forum Rules.
Search just the forum with Google

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Wed, 4. Mar 09, 00:57

There will be no multi-player mode, LAN-based or otherwise, in any X3TC patch or update. The reasons for this have been explained a dozen or more times, and those reasons are not going to change just because yet another person makes the same baseless claim that it shouldn't be too difficult. Sorry if that sounds harsh, but I'm running out of subtle ways to say it.

The reality is that multi-player will come to the X-series when someone (probably a publisher) stumps up the cash, and when it does come it will be in a form that has some hope of paying back the cost of development. In all probability that means an MMO, or some LAN-based game that is a "stepping stone" on the way to an MMO. Either way it will be in some future game, not X3TC.

Naferius

Hmmm...maybe...

Post by Naferius » Fri, 6. Mar 09, 11:57

I was thinking when/if X3TC is multiplayer, players can hire other players to work for theyre corporation. I mean we all know how stupid AI is and a player pilot working for another player can do 100x times better in a descent M3 then an AI M3...It's not like every player will have all big and large fleets of AI going agains another player's fleet! Imagine 50 players all with large fleets doing this at the same time in different sector! Server PCs will blow up, or you'll be lagging until Xenon are developed IRL :lol:

PS: Ahhh just writhing down bu11sh1ts again, but think of it, cuz I know most of you have nothing better to do :D
:whispering to self: damn that was my stupidest thread ever... :lol:
One down... millions to go.

amtie
x3tc

Post by amtie » Fri, 6. Mar 09, 17:29

Well, yeah, CBJ is right. And even if egosoft had the cash for developing MP, they'd still require a large player-base in order to 1. bring costs of the game/sign-up down, and 2. actually break even and make the game profitable.

And frankly, with no advertising, no publishers to publish and advertise, and a... not-very-good game-quality release history, that's probably unlikely to ever happen... Unless egosoft gets a miracle or robs a bank :D

musicalfruit
x3tc

Post by musicalfruit » Fri, 6. Mar 09, 19:01

Not even all the money in the world could make the SETA concept work in a multiplayer setting, and without it the whole game universe would need to be redesigned and adapted.
It wouldn't be a X game anymore.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”