NO Support for TrackIR?????

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

__s

NO Support for TrackIR?????

Post by __s » Wed, 18. Feb 09, 01:06

recently i've found out that there's no support for TrackIR on all X3 universe. so many big titles working with trackir developers before release of thier games.... but what happened to egosoft? after some diggin, i'v found reply of natural point representitive: long link

please dear egosoft devs, dont take away heads from pilots, we need it in space, no joypads POV or numpads can replace us our heads.

{long link tidied - Carlo}
Last edited by __s on Wed, 18. Feb 09, 01:56, edited 1 time in total.

NewtSoup
x4

Post by NewtSoup » Wed, 18. Feb 09, 01:40

I'd never once heard of track IR before this post. I must say it looks horrible. So to use it I have to sit there rocking backwards and forwards, left and right and tilting my head this way and that while trying to stay looking at the screen at the same time.

I think I can see why it was overlooked :P

I'll stick to my joystick.
I am a rock in the wind, watch how I plummet!
Gamer Girl since 1981 Mistress of Heavy Landings since 1984 (BBC-B Elite)

Corei7 7700, 16GB Ram, MSI RX6700XT, Sidewinder FFB2, Kubuntu 22.04

__s

Post by __s » Wed, 18. Feb 09, 01:47

Luke Skyscraper wrote:I'd never once heard of track IR before this post. I must say it looks horrible. So to use it I have to sit there rocking backwards and forwards, left and right and tilting my head this way and that while trying to stay looking at the screen at the same time.

I think I can see why it was overlooked :P

I'll stick to my joystick.
yup some ppl learn new stuff pretty hard, my advice to u: dont look, just try once. i feel sorry for ppl playing for example il2 without trackir, becuz they dont have a chance against pilot with real head in game watching ur every move while u perfoming houdini stuff "flying and looking around with one hand"

NewtSoup
x4

Post by NewtSoup » Wed, 18. Feb 09, 02:08

I'm left handed and as such I've had to learn to use a joystick right handed. But that means I can very comfortably (and do) use Joystick in one hand and mouse in the other simultaneously. Finding it very handy now X3 has mouse aiming on the main guns in TC. Equally I can use the keyboard instead of the mouse at the same time as piloting.

Left Handers Rule!

You'll have to forgive me but I'm not about to spend $160 on track IR to try it once. That about £100 GBP and I've not seen it for sale in the UK either.
I am a rock in the wind, watch how I plummet!
Gamer Girl since 1981 Mistress of Heavy Landings since 1984 (BBC-B Elite)

Corei7 7700, 16GB Ram, MSI RX6700XT, Sidewinder FFB2, Kubuntu 22.04

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Wed, 18. Feb 09, 02:16

Track IR has other issues, too. A lot of people can't use it because it causes motion sickness and/or headaches. And people with some types of prescription glasses are just out of luck. IMO, Track IR is more of a gimmick than anything else. I've tried it and don't really like it. I'll stick to my HOTAS setup with a CH Flightstick Pro, Throttle Pro and Rudder Pedals Pro, thank you very much. :D
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

__s

Post by __s » Wed, 18. Feb 09, 02:17

Luke Skyscraper wrote:I'm left handed and as such I've had to learn to use a joystick right handed. But that means I can very comfortably (and do) use Joystick in one hand and mouse in the other simultaneously. Finding it very handy now X3 has mouse aiming on the main guns in TC. Equally I can use the keyboard instead of the mouse at the same time as piloting.

Left Handers Rule!

You'll have to forgive me but I'm not about to spend $160 on track IR to try it once. That about £100 GBP and I've not seen it for sale in the UK either.
u can save money and make ur own device using guide from this site http://www.free-track.net . as for controlling comfortability: real life pilot have 6 built-in controlling devices :))) 2 hands 2 legs, head and voice. so i suggest game developers use as much as posible and we all will feel the diference.

Spaceweed Adict
x3tc

Post by Spaceweed Adict » Wed, 18. Feb 09, 02:23

Track IR has other issues, too. A lot of people can't use it because it causes motion sickness and/or headaches. And people with some types of prescription glasses are just out of luck. IMO, Track IR is more of a gimmick than anything else. I've tried it and don't really like it. I'll stick to my HOTAS setup with a CH Flightstick Pro, Throttle Pro and Rudder Pedals Pro, thank you very much.
Yep Nanook I got to agree with that.
I also have tried it at a Computer fair a while back some guy was demonstating it and as you said the glasses are a problem as I ware them but even so in my opinion TrackIR is rubbish and your right it is a gimic.

__s

Post by __s » Wed, 18. Feb 09, 02:31

Spaceweed Adict wrote:
Track IR has other issues, too. A lot of people can't use it because it causes motion sickness and/or headaches. And people with some types of prescription glasses are just out of luck. IMO, Track IR is more of a gimmick than anything else. I've tried it and don't really like it. I'll stick to my HOTAS setup with a CH Flightstick Pro, Throttle Pro and Rudder Pedals Pro, thank you very much.
I also have tried it at a Computer fair a while back some guy was demonstating it and as you said the glasses are a problem as I ware them but even so in my opinion TrackIR is rubbish and your right it is a gimic.
so that means that egosoft making games only for vision impaired or otherwise disabled ppl?

Dragoongfa
x4

Post by Dragoongfa » Wed, 18. Feb 09, 02:41

It means that TrackIR support is not needed, while only a small portion of the X gamers will play with it.

Also tried TrackIR, liked it, but i think that X games are not the best games to implement TrackIR support, since most aspects of these games don't revolve around combat/flying.

Spectre01
xr

Post by Spectre01 » Wed, 18. Feb 09, 02:44

__s wrote:
Spaceweed Adict wrote:
so that means that egosoft making games only for vision impaired or otherwise disabled ppl?
That means they are making a game works for everyone. Not just the "perfect vision" people (like trackIR does).

__s

Post by __s » Wed, 18. Feb 09, 02:50

Dragoongfa wrote:It means that TrackIR support is not needed, while only a small portion of the X gamers will play with it.

Also tried TrackIR, liked it, but i think that X games are not the best games to implement TrackIR support, since most aspects of these games don't revolve around combat/flying.
there's 10k trackir users, and math tells 10k potential X players. and i must say that i heared alot of ppl saying i cant buy a space sim without trackir support. and i guess u right X games r not that much sims. after all i was just asking X games developers to allow ppl from natural point to help em implement head movment tracking.

softweir
xr

Post by softweir » Wed, 18. Feb 09, 02:52

If X3 was a high-spec combat simulation that appealed to Flight Sim purists then there might be a large enough Track-IR customer base to make it worth the additional effort of implementing Track-IR support. As it is, it is unlikely that Track-IR support will gain any extra customers.

Incidentally, it is unlikely that people would enjoy Track-IR even if X3 supported it. I have a high-spec machine and can manage only 20-40 FPS (depending on sector) dropping to a worst case of 15 FPS during heavy combat. Using a Track-IR with the lag that comes with such a low FPS would be horrible.
My new fave game (while waiting for Rebirth) - Kerbal Space Program

anneonemous
x3tc

Post by anneonemous » Wed, 18. Feb 09, 02:53

Likely a business decision - X games are developed by a relatively small team of people. As a result, they need to look at what fraction of the user-base has adopted (insert various gaming technologies). They'll then, pick those that are commonly used, add support, and not worry about the rest.

AoN.

Dragoongfa
x4

Post by Dragoongfa » Wed, 18. Feb 09, 02:53

Sing up to dev-net then and ask there, far more chances of devs seeing your post there, remember that dev-net has strict rules for posting (read them first).

If implementing TrackIR support is simple enough and doesn't compromise performance there would be no reason for not implementing it.
Last edited by Dragoongfa on Wed, 18. Feb 09, 02:55, edited 1 time in total.

__s

Post by __s » Wed, 18. Feb 09, 02:55

__s wrote:
Spectre01 wrote:
That means they are making a game works for everyone. Not just the "perfect vision" people (like trackIR does).
what u telling is what brings us to the begining => they didnt make games for me and 10k trackir users. we can do this over and over.

Dragoongfa
x4

Post by Dragoongfa » Wed, 18. Feb 09, 02:57

You don't need TrackIR to play the game, anything else goes down to personal taste.

__s

Post by __s » Wed, 18. Feb 09, 02:57

Dragoongfa wrote:Sing up to dev-net then and ask there, far more chances of devs seeing your post there, remember that dev-net has strict rules for posting (read them first).

If implementing TrackIR support is simple enough and doesn't compromise performance there would be no reason for not implementing it.
most usefull post, thank u.

__s

Post by __s » Wed, 18. Feb 09, 03:10

frankly, i dont feel like playing X3 anymore :) too much effort for just singleplayer game. not worth it. strange but X3 was my last hope to feel space beneath me. freespace 2 have good maneuver physics but looks ugly, X3 is good graphics. i think i'll stick to freespace 2 open(and its mods), while im waiting for Jumpgate evolution or black prophecy.
Last edited by __s on Wed, 18. Feb 09, 12:27, edited 1 time in total.

All-a-Mort
x3tc

Post by All-a-Mort » Wed, 18. Feb 09, 10:51

__s wrote:frankly, i dont feel like playing X3 anymore :) too much effort for just singleplayer game. not worth it. strange but X3 was my last hope to feel space beneath me. freespace 2 have good maneuver physics but looks ugly, X3 is good graphics. i think i'll stick to freespace, while im waiting for Jumpgate evolution or black prophecy.
Try the FSO version of Freespace 2, the open source version has heavily altered and removed. Clearly it suits you better since you apparently suffer from the delusion that X games are space combat simulators. TrackIR is likely useful in Freespace and normal combat flightsims like LockOn. Combat is only a small part of the X games, and unless you intend doing nothing but flying around fighting in an m3, then TrackIR is totally unecessary.

-Villain-
x2

Post by -Villain- » Wed, 18. Feb 09, 11:06

This thing is fine for the games that don't need you to see the screen 100% of the time. Flight sims don't require you to duck around a big hunking 'roid while chasing a pirate, or roll and twist your way through a station because you just came out of a tight turn and found one smack in your way. The air is thin and only gets thinner as you go up but i suspect you have already experianced that ___S.
I also wonder about the longer term medical effects this would have on a persons eye eight and maybe even (real) spacial awareness.
10K worth of people isn't much....i bet a lot more than that have a decent joystick that costs a lot less and consumes nothing in the way of CPU load.
And one final point, if you need to look to see where ya target is when he is 'under' your turn, you should never have passed flight (Sim.) school.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”