3D Models and Stats Viewer : Version 2.0.3.2 (12th Dec 2010)

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

exogenesis
x4

Post by exogenesis » Tue, 10. Feb 09, 00:30

(Superbox version)

Model Viewer for viewing Ships / Stations etc, showing guns, stats & stuff.

Supports:
X3 Terran Conflict
X3 Reunion
X2

[ external image ]

Download :
http://www.Exogenesis.co.uk/XModels3DVi ... taller.exe
(7 megabytes)

If you want to just read the documentation (you get this with the installer above anyway) :
http://www.Exogenesis.co.uk/XModels3DViewer.doc
(4 megabytes)

Current version 2.0.3.2 (Superbox version + one version)

If you are upgrading, probably best to uninstall the old version first,
but it doesn't really matter if you don't.

Change log :
V 2.0.3.2 changes described in post in this thread:
http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?p=3473695
V 2.0.1.4 to 2.0.3.1 : lots of bugs, mainly related to loading mods -
MANY THANKS TO draffutt FOR EXTENSIVE TESTING
V 2.0.0.6 to 2.0.1.3 : lots of minor(ish) bugs, thanks to all who posted & helped :)
v 2.0.0.5 : added menu option for turning off transparency
v 2.0.0.4 : fixed for XTM 0.7.5 + fixed some turret probs (Venti & Cutlass)
v 2.0.0.3 : 'Invalid Argument' message fixed + crash log dmp file + various bits & pieces (UI things + can't remember whatelse)
v 2.0.0.2 : Much faster game file load + fixed reading of 'old-style' file-compression problem for X3:TC mods.
v 2.0.0.1 : Initial release.

General feedback ideas / issues in this thread please :)

Please post modding ideas / issues in the threads :
X3:Reunion S&M
http://forum2.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?p=1664751
or
X3:Terran Conflict S&M
http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php? ... 40#2766040

Superceded versions of this viewer were contained in the thread :
http://forum2.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=141654
which is now locked.

If you get a crash, you should get a message box saying something like:
'Encountered serious problem, dmp crash log saved to <path name>"

The path would have been e.g. Program Files\XModels3DViewer\CrashLogs (or wherever you installed the viewer to)

If I can get hold of the .dmp file (about a meg in size, maybe as much as 5 meg)
it would help me to diagnose the problem.
Last edited by exogenesis on Tue, 21. Dec 10, 00:32, edited 14 times in total.

ViPeROuS
x3tc

Post by ViPeROuS » Tue, 10. Feb 09, 02:17

Yaaay! It's ready! Thanks a bunch exogenesis! :D

-- V

NeverSnake
x3tc

Post by NeverSnake » Tue, 10. Feb 09, 02:40

It's here :)

Quite a few issues though.

1. I'm randomly getting an "An invalid argument was encountered." error message when loading up ships. They don't load but their window does (and remains black). The loading model data dialogue stays up with an empty status bar, but will go if I close the window. It doesn't appear to be linked to any particular ship. It happens when opening multiple ships at once, when opening a single ship with others already open and when opening a single ship with no others open. I'm using it for TC, I don't have any other X-games installed right now.

2. Mouse wheel scrolling doesn't work for the statistics.

3. Many of the M3+ heavy fighters (such as the Enhanced Kea and Skate Prototype) are listed as just normal M3s.

4. Gauss cannon is abbreviated GG instead of GC on the legend at the bottom. It's also grey rather than it's in-game green.

2d scaled pictures as well as 3d ones would be nice.

EDIT:

5. 'turret sets' is counting the main non-turreted weapons as well as the turrets.

EDIT2:

6. Swarm missiles don't tell you how many missiles they split into and the only damage given is per missile.

Also, some commas would be nice for the bigger missile damages (i.e. 65,000,000 instead of 65000000)
"There's an old story about the person who wished his computer were as easy to use as his telephone. That wish has come true, since I no longer know how to use my telephone" — Bjarne Stroustrup

GavBot
x3tc

Post by GavBot » Tue, 10. Feb 09, 04:09

I awesomly bow in the presence of your total awesomeness.
"And now its springtime for Hitler and Germany,
Watch out Europe were going on tour"

X2-Eliah
x4

Post by X2-Eliah » Tue, 10. Feb 09, 06:15

Vista SP1 32 bit, with X3-Terran Conflict 1.4 (Scripted, one mod, nothing ship/station altering).

The installation doesn't go without issues, at the end a pop-up window of Vista appears showing that "this program might not have installed correctly".

When loading, I browse it to my X3-TC directory, but upon loading the second bar, the program stops loading, a pop-up shows that "This directory of X3-TC is not valid, please point to a correct directory", and it stops working.

Uninstalling also has that "this program might not have installed correctly" thing.

exogenesis
x4

Post by exogenesis » Tue, 10. Feb 09, 09:21

ViPeROuS - your'e welcome.

NeverSnake -

1. I have seen that occasionally, will try to track it down. I think you can just close that 'failed' window & try again which won't cause it to crash.

2. Mouse scroll is currently only for moving the 3D model closer further, I might try making it work for the stats window based on what the mouse is over

3. Are the Enhanced Kea & Skate Prototype M3+'s, or just enhanced M3's?. This is based on the 'variation' index (20 for M3+, 0 for M3), it's 0 for Enh Kea.
even though the internal ID is SS_SH_T_M3P_ENH, which sort of implies M3+. I'll check in-game to see what it's described as.

4. Well spotted

5. Yes, I see the main pilot guns as a turret set in general terms. Is that different to in-game ?. Either way it's a single line description of all guns on a ship.

6. Missile data was tagged on, it's a bit crude for swarm types - needs some updating I guess.

7. Noted, I'll sort that out

GavBot - I bow in return

X2-Eliah

Maybe this needs to be installed as Administrator with Vista - since it writes Viewer settings to registry entries, ie possibly somehow the entries are being lost.
Was thar the actual text of the 'directory not valid' message ?, cos it should also contain the invalid directory's name in the message.

Gundam_F91
x3tc

Post by Gundam_F91 » Tue, 10. Feb 09, 10:16

I am Getting the

Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library
Runtime Error!

Warring when the program start loading the X3:TC game data . Then it crash

The OS I am using is Window XP SP3

Moonrat
x4

Post by Moonrat » Tue, 10. Feb 09, 10:42

I installed it on XP SP2, it came up with where is my X3 Reunion stuff to which I answered where, it then read the dat/cat files etc. and then it simply disappears.....

Any ideas, or logs I can look at??

Cheers

BugMeister
x4

Post by BugMeister » Tue, 10. Feb 09, 11:23

yippee! :D
- the whole universe is running in BETA mode - we're working on it.. beep..!! :D :thumb_up:

amtie
x3tc

Post by amtie » Tue, 10. Feb 09, 13:28

X2-Eliah, try not only installing the program using Administrator rights, but also running it with them. Maybe that would work. If not, try fiddling around with the compatability options in properties, such as remove visual composition (or whatever it's calleD), or run compatability mode XP.

X2-Eliah
x4

Post by X2-Eliah » Tue, 10. Feb 09, 13:29

Uh.. Hmm, I'll try.. Lots of effort though.

Edit: Well, here's as far as I'll test that thing..

Installer was run as an administrator, the .exe file was given full control through properties/security, Running on Vistas SP1 32-bit Ultimate (Perfectly legal English version out-of-the-box, mind) default user with UAC on. As for rights of access, well, my X3-TC is not on the C:/Program Files, but on the D disc, which is not guarded as a system folder by Vista (this was an issue with Oblivion modding)..

This time the "This program might not have installed properly" window did not pop up, but the rest of them did (I tried to run as an admin, and set the rights, so something else is way off)

Pics (large pics under the thumbs, but I really don't have the patience nor means to chip them up:

[ external image ]

[ external image ]

[ external image ]

And that's that.
Now the curious thing is, I don't have any language packs, nor is my OS inherently Chinese or whatever (only pure engilsh and that's it), yet the symbols appearing there are hieroglyphs.. Why - I have no Idea, and almost no other program has acted up like this before. (Well, only one - 'Logitech SetPoint for MX Revolution' update from their site [the original installer worked flawlessly aswell])..
Since I've got a fair share of games, mods and the likes, an error on my part is quite improbable (But can be there anyway, so if any other WinVista [Ultimate] 32-bit users could share their experience, that would be a blast. Disabling UAC, or switching entirely to an administrator account is not really acceptable, for various reasons), and the chinese letters are provided by the X3D Model viewer software, not the Vista, so...

Oh, and "Funfair"? What's up with that? (I did scan the installer with Avira AntiVir just in case, it was safe)..

Hope it helps.

NeverSnake
x3tc

Post by NeverSnake » Tue, 10. Feb 09, 16:11

exogenesis wrote:1. I have seen that occasionally, will try to track it down. I think you can just close that 'failed' window & try again which won't cause it to crash.
Yes, reloading the same model works fine.
exogenesis wrote:3. Are the Enhanced Kea & Skate Prototype M3+'s, or just enhanced M3's?. This is based on the 'variation' index (20 for M3+, 0 for M3), it's 0 for Enh Kea.
even though the internal ID is SS_SH_T_M3P_ENH, which sort of implies M3+. I'll check in-game to see what it's described as.
I was assuming that the enhanced/prototype/vanguard/hauler/etc. were all the same class as the base model, and the Kea and Skate are both M3+.
exogenesis wrote: 5. Yes, I see the main pilot guns as a turret set in general terms. Is that different to in-game ?. Either way it's a single line description of all guns on a ship.
Even if you do want it to count the main guns it still needs tweaking because it's currently counting those ships with no main guns (i.e. 0 slots for guns in the main position).

What it appears to be actually counting is the cockpits with one for driving the ship and firing the main weapons and the others for firing the turret weapons.

You could either change the text to 'cockpits' or change it to 'weapon sets' and only count the main guns when they have any slots.
"There's an old story about the person who wished his computer were as easy to use as his telephone. That wish has come true, since I no longer know how to use my telephone" — Bjarne Stroustrup

MBD
x3tc

Post by MBD » Tue, 10. Feb 09, 18:28

V2.0.0.1 works for my X3:R v2.5 vanilla installation but not for my modded game (X3:R with Ashleys Factorys V1.32 + scripts & ships). The viewer crashes when it's "Loading Data for: Mod 'ash.fabs.1.32.cat'". When its is just X3:R with the Plugin Manager, (no scripts or ships), it crashes when the viewer is "Loading Data for: Mod 'pluginmanager.cat'".
"We always were English and we always will be English and it's because we are English that we're sticking up for our rights to be Burgundians." - Passport to Pimlico 1949

exogenesis
x4

Post by exogenesis » Tue, 10. Feb 09, 20:21

Gundam_F91 :
Try putting the viewer in diagnostic mode:
Use regedit to get to :
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\X3Models3DFunfair
and set the entry
DiagnosticMode
to 1, then rerun the viewer.
This should give more detailed info about whereabouts it crashed, post a screenie of that point please.
Have you any mods installed?

@BugMeister Kayay! brother :P

X2-Eliah
I don't get it, why it's not remembering the chosen X-Game path.
Those chars are probably just random ones (uninitialised memory).
Can't see any prob with your X3 directory location.
Think this is definately a Vista issue, any one else having success with Vista??

'X3 Models Funfair' was the original name of the viewer 2+ years ago.

NeverSnake
You're right the Enh Kea should be M3+, but the game-file definition has it as M3,
I won't change this as it would be adding special cases, which I have definately been getting have got away from.
i.e. it's a TShips error really, variation index should be 20 not 0, I think

You're right, I'll change 'Turret Sets' to 'Cockpits', it was a hangover from coding terms
(turret-supersets, turret-sets, turrets, barrels, guns, cockpits : it all gets a bit confusing when code parsing TShips/TCockpits).

MBD
Strange, my X3:R 2.5 + XTM + Ashley(XTM) works fine, I thought Ashley standalone was a higher version than 1.32 ?
When you say ' & ships', I assume you've added some individual ships via plugin manager?
Could you upload that pluginmanager.cat somewhere so I can test it?
Also try the diagnostic mode as above.

NeverSnake
x3tc

Post by NeverSnake » Tue, 10. Feb 09, 21:13

Well I reinstalled the model viewer and I'm not getting any more invalid argument errors.

I'm running on Vista home premium 64-bit with no issues (anymore).

A couple of feature requests.

A) Being able to load up a gate without having to extract the files would be nice, I couldn't see it listed under ships or factories.

B) Multi-threading support for the paint shop option would be nice since it appears to be very CPU heavy but only uses a single core.

Old Silver
x2

Post by Old Silver » Tue, 10. Feb 09, 22:21

I just wanted to say thanks exogenesis for all the hard work in putting this super program together.

Much appreciated. :D

ianrobo75
x4

Post by ianrobo75 » Tue, 10. Feb 09, 22:32

For information: Download didn't work from my Google Chrome browser, it downloaded a smaller sized corrupt file. Did work from IE7 though.

Oh, great work.

ephemeron
x4

Post by ephemeron » Tue, 10. Feb 09, 22:57

Many thanks for all the hard work! :thumb_up:
I particularly like the new option to see turrets' fields of fire.

BugMeister
x4

Post by BugMeister » Tue, 10. Feb 09, 23:49

uh-oh..
- I'm getting one of these.. :o
[ external image ]

- running XP SP3
- the whole universe is running in BETA mode - we're working on it.. beep..!! :D :thumb_up:

surferx
x4

Post by surferx » Wed, 11. Feb 09, 00:17

Thankyou exogenesis. Trying this on for size now... WOW! I love the b/g space effect. And this version seems to have more tools. I'm glad I've seen most of the ships in X3:TC by now because it's hard not to look at every one of them now. That could be a spoiler. :o Another is the weapon cones, showing where every ships weakest point is. Sweet.
You have designed an awesome tool for the community. Thanks a bunch.
:thumb_up: :thumb_up: :thumb_up:

[EDIT for more cool stuff] The cockpit/turret views are awesome , and some are surprising ie: where you're sitting exactly while flying in your ship.
If you want to go fast, go alone.
If you want to go far, go together.

Operating System:
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit CPU: 13th Gen Intel Core i9-13900KF RAM: 32606 MBytes MBO: Gigabyte Z790 UD AC (U3E1) GPU: ZOTAC GEFORCE RTX 4080 Trinity OC NVIDIA 16 GB GDDR6 SSD: AJP600M2TB 1907 GB

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”