[Index] Tutorials and Resources

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

apricotslice
x4

Post by apricotslice » Sat, 6. Dec 08, 04:51

I was just looking at the modding guides, and as far as I can see, my Modding 101 Guide is still applicable as a read for the first time modder.

http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?p=1585832

Unless someone finds something seriously out of wack for X3TC, can it be added to the list ?

apricotslice
x4

Post by apricotslice » Sat, 6. Dec 08, 08:53

I've just done a documentation of sorts on Start.xml, the director file.

http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=226913

It might be of interest to anyone who is interested. If so, can it be added to the list ?

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Wed, 10. Dec 08, 16:06

apricotslice wrote:Unless someone finds something seriously out of wack for X3TC, can it be added to the list ?
The language-file names are naturally off. This list has link to the X3R tutorials list (and suggestion to find the basics from there), so it is still only two clicks away ...
Goner Pancake Protector X
Insanity included at no extra charge.
There is no Box. I am the sand.

apricotslice
x4

Post by apricotslice » Wed, 10. Dec 08, 22:56

Yes, I thought of that as I was waking up just now. I'll update it today and get back to you.

Edit : Now updated to X3TC. I think I got everything important, if I missed anything, let me know.

PaperDog

Script Editor and commands

Post by PaperDog » Thu, 11. Dec 08, 04:05

Another weirdness ... I followed the instructions for launching the Script editor (...Typed in the Thereshallbewings, etc...) during a game, To no avail though. I'm guessing this only works if I create a new map and it does not work in a standard game?

An Inquiring mind wants to know (else it wishes to drown itself in beer)

PaperDog

Unserene
x4

Post by Unserene » Thu, 11. Dec 08, 04:58

Check your spelling..sometimes the 2 "l's" won't type. And make sure you're not docked at the time.

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Thu, 11. Dec 08, 07:51

@PaperDog: You did follow this? (You can rename yourself while docked just fine.)

**Merged**

Chealec
x3tc

Post by Chealec » Tue, 16. Dec 08, 02:50

Seems like the link to the galaxy hacking tutorial I sort of started got nerfed when it was merged into another, similar topic - if a mod thinks it's worthwhile can you update that link to the one I'm posting here (it's a PDF residing on my webserver)... if not can you at least remove the link on the first page of this thread - it looks a bit silly when it points at a non-existent post.

----
Basically I was determined to work out what was going on under the hood of the galaxy editor - what it was actually doing to the x3_universe.xml file and whether it was possible to use the Galaxy editor and XML hacking in tandem.

The answer is yes, quite successfully.

To try and keep track of it all I was documenting what I was finding in OpenOffice Writer as I went along... I've tidied it up a bit now and exported it to PDF - what's in that PDF is a pretty definitive guide to all the main TTypes, what they all do and what their sub-types and attributes do (except for the 'f' attribute - that seems incredibly variable)... so if you want to hack the galaxy to bits and tweak the XML, it might be worth a look.

It covers some stuff that's been posted on the X2 forum, but in more depth and updated for X3TC - kudos to all the relevant people who helped me get my head round this.

You can grab the file from my server:
galaxy_hacking_x3tc.pdf
[ external image ]

... old skool

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Tue, 16. Dec 08, 19:14

Chealec wrote:Seems like the link to the galaxy hacking tutorial I sort of started got nerfed when it was merged into another, similar topic ...
No, it was just a mistyped url that did not work after all. :oops: Fixed.

Links "outside" are not preferred. We link to local threads, which can then contain links to the outside world.
Goner Pancake Protector X
Insanity included at no extra charge.
There is no Box. I am the sand.

Chealec
x3tc

Post by Chealec » Tue, 16. Dec 08, 19:29

Oki - cheers. I've dumped the link at the end of that post so that the "sticky" makes sense ;)
[ external image ]

... old skool

spacehunt
x4

Post by spacehunt » Tue, 6. Jan 09, 22:58

im obviously not one who's meant to script lol :roll: Tried to follow some of the walkthroughs just....and i just couldnt understand the text files stuff lol :P Ah well.....guess ill have to stick to what other people make.

apricotslice
x4

Post by apricotslice » Wed, 7. Jan 09, 00:45

Text files (or called language files) are simply where all the WORDS in the game are stored.

Everything else has a pointer somewhere in it that tells the game where the words are stored.

Eg. A ship will point to a words location such as 4501. That means that in the objects page of the text file, which is page 17, there is an entry numbered 4501 with the ship name in it, and an entry numbered 4502 with the description of the ship in it.

Practically every single word in the game is stored in the text files, with specific pages (left side in the editor) containing specific stuff (right side in the editor).

Every scriptor or modder makes their own file, and the game integrates them in the order it finds them, making them into 1 file the game uses. Each file updates the first the same as the cat/dats do. But if the scripters and modders are careful, everything is unique and so no conflicts arise. Which is why we have documentation to help with that.

XDrake
x3tc

Post by XDrake » Mon, 12. Jan 09, 02:56

I have been playing with text files here for the last day or two. I realize that for someone that is realtivly new to scripting that a list of tags would have help me greatly. I could have really searched out the tags on the net and through the forums, but I learn faster by tring things.

So to help any of the others that are not so willing to test things to the point of crashes, I have come up with a list of tags that are useful to me at least.

Other Tags used in Text Files Incoming Messages and Subtitles
%s
Used in the spritf 'read text' to place arguments variables into the text stream
\n
This is used to add a carriage return to the message. 'Next line'
[select value="<var/ret>"]<text>[/select]
This adds a button to an Incoming Message. The <var/ret> is a argument to an attached script. The <text > is the text that will appear in the button.

Color Tags for Names and Subtitles

\033B
\033G
\033M
\033X
\033R
\033W
\033Y
\033C

Note: to highlight one word you must end with the normal tag at the end of said word. Or the rest of the text will be of the color of first tag

Color Tags for Incoming Messages (with closing)
[red][/red]
[white][/white]
[magenta][/magenta]
[yellow][/yellow]
[cyan][/cyan]
[blue][/blue]
[green][/green]

Text Formatting Tags For Incoming Messages
[center][/center]
Centers text in message
[right][/right]
Aligns to the right side of message
[left][/left]
Aligns to the left side of message

Note: you can have 2 separate texts that are in the same statement line up on either side of the message

I hope that I can help someone. If there is something wrong or I for got something please let me know. Thanks
XDrake
-------------------------------------------------------
NECORE Inc.

AlexV [EG]
x3

Post by AlexV [EG] » Tue, 13. Jan 09, 11:37

:roll:
X3TC - External Script Editor released and available here
http://files.filefront.com/X3TC+ESCE+v1 ... einfo.html

and also X3 - External Script Editor updated and available here
http://files.filefront.com/X3+ESCE+115r ... einfo.html

s9ilent
x4

Post by s9ilent » Wed, 14. Jan 09, 23:01

Some more tags you left out
For starters, pretty much everything in this forum can be used (except obviously Img, url, code, quote, spoiler and size)

Most of the ones I'm typing are from here :
Start quote, A dJ
X3R forums post

Code: Select all

%s
Use for sprintf commands
eg. $s = sprintf '%s %s %s%s%s' 1 2 3 4 5
$s = '1 2 345'

[u][/u]
Underline selection

[b][/b]
Bold selection

[author/][/author]
Sets the author from the current message to xxx. (I don't remember where it overrides the "send incoming message from yyy" command)

[text cols='3'][/text]
Sets the current message (i.e the ENTIRE message) to use 3 columns. Can only be used once per message.

[text colwidth='10'][/text]
Sets the column width (In charachters I believe, leaves the free space equally distributed between the columns

[text minlines='xxx'][/text]
I don't remember using this... it might be the minimum number of lines before text wraps around to the next column thou.

{xxx,yyy}
Read from pageid xxx, text id yyyy

And these

These I found somewhere within xx0001.pck(cat04)
[Headline], [Intro], [Quote], [Report], [Byline], [Melodrama A], [Melodrama B], [Fear], [Joy]
(ADDED)(/ADDED)
@ANSA, @ANAN, @AND
[br/], [article/]
[ranking type='fight' title='$FIGHTRANK$'/]
[VK_xxx]   (xxx=keyname i.e. EJECT or JUMPDRIVE)
[IF xxx][ENDIF xxx]   (xxx=variable)

And apparently, in in Hex as well (although I can't read this)

BC BA D6 92 15 5B 3A $TargetStation$ 1F $TargetSector$ F8 FF B3 $TimeString$ D2 D6 BA $Credits$ CC CF FF

[select value='go']01[/select]
End quote

WindsOfBoreas

Post by WindsOfBoreas » Mon, 19. Jan 09, 20:33

Does anyone know all of the language id's for the text files?

I know of

07 - Russian
33 - French
39 - Italian
44 - English
49 - German

Are there any others?
"Humanity has the stars in its future, and that future is too important to be lost under the burden of juvenile folly and ignorant superstition." - Isaac Asimov

s9ilent
x4

Post by s9ilent » Mon, 19. Jan 09, 22:36

I'd imagine there might be a Polish one, as there is a Polskie forum. But I don't know its numbers.
+ all the other languages listed in the forum. Thou you might have to dig into their stickies to find out

WindsOfBoreas

Post by WindsOfBoreas » Tue, 20. Jan 09, 03:50

Ok, what I've been able to find are...

07 - Russian
33 - French
34 - Spanish
39 - Italian
42 - Czech
44 - English
48 - Polish
49 - German

I cannot find any others so I assume that some of the other languages in these forums use the same language file.

If anyone knows otherwise, I would appreciate the knowledge.
"Humanity has the stars in its future, and that future is too important to be lost under the burden of juvenile folly and ignorant superstition." - Isaac Asimov

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Mon, 26. Jan 09, 20:37

WindsOfBoreas wrote:Ok, what I've been able to find are...
Pick up a phone-book and look at the "international country codes" sections (assuming there still are phone-books and countries in this age of mobiles). Compare the codes to the language id's used by the game. While I have not the faintest idea of what languages are used, I guess predicting their codes might be trivial.

WindsOfBoreas

Post by WindsOfBoreas » Mon, 26. Jan 09, 20:57

Well, I looked through the forums of the other languages, throughout Google's results, and just in the files in general, and I believe that that is the entire list of languages now.

What's a phone book?

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude - Scripts and Modding”