[SCR] The Rubber Dinghi (v8)

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

Gazz
x4

[SCR] The Rubber Dinghi (v8)

Post by Gazz » Mon, 5. Jan 09, 01:19

English / Deutsch

The Rubber Dinghi

So you're flying your M2 and want to check out the mission symbol on that station.
Too bad it's 80 km away.
Flying an M2 there is just... depressing.

Sure, M2 can be modded to have docking bays but that takes an enormous effort and has to be incompatible with a lot of mods.

So... what if every M6/M7/M2 could deploy a small unarmed M5? Just to fly around, scout some, maybe pick up a mission?
  • This script adds one Hotkey.
  • If you press it when flying a big ship, you launch from it in your M5.
  • It will have some basic equipment for recon flights but nothing you did not have on the mothership.
  • Pressing the hotkey while flying the M5 will target the ship you launched from.
    If that one should not be in the same sector, the closest big ship of yours is targeted.

Doing that while within 5km will dock you with the targeted ship.
    If you are farther away, your ship will start following this target.
    Effectively it's a semi-automatic "take me home" key.

No cargo will be transferred.
  • On returning (see above) to your mothership, the Dinghi will return to the netherworld it came from. Most of the intended motherships don't have docking bays to begin with...
  • If you sent the boat away while staying in the mothership, you can target it with the hotkey.
    If the boat is within 5 km you are automatically transported inside.

If it is farther away you can issue a return order with a second press. (the equivalent of a loud whistle)
  • It would be... wise... to return to the same ship you launched from.
    You are not forced to but... *shrug*

Let's just say that spawning lots of these M5 is not a great money making scheme. =)
  • This can also be used as an escape pod because you can "eject" with one key.
    Many would probably reload in this case but *shrug*...
  • No tricky background tasks or anything. It does what it does and the script ends right there.
  • If you also use the Follow me! script (see below), you can use this hotkey to target the homebase of a fighter you are currently flying.
    The homebase is not actually shown on the ship stats while you are piloting the fighter but the Follow me! script remembers.

Just like with the Rubber Dinghi, a double tap of the hotkey targets your homebase (carrier) and engages the autopilot for a landing approach.

Pretty convenient if I jump into some fighter on my carrier to kill an annoying M5. No need to look for my carrier when I want to fly back afterwards.
[ external image ] Download: ZIP

Recommended but not required: [SCR] Follow me!

Resources used:
Library: lib.ut.pos.from.2.grades.and.rad
Last edited by Gazz on Sun, 30. Aug 09, 14:27, edited 15 times in total.
My complete script download page. . . . . . I AM THE LAW!
There is no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Gazz
x4

Post by Gazz » Mon, 5. Jan 09, 01:20

** reserved **
There is no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Thrandisher
x4

Post by Thrandisher » Mon, 5. Jan 09, 01:51

Ive both turned on and happy. Always hated to seta to get closer then just as i get in range the mission disapears.

If you use this and your follow me script, will the ship you launched out of do the auto follow you thing?
The mongrels will never get over THIS wall.

Gazz
x4

Post by Gazz » Mon, 5. Jan 09, 02:03

Of course.

Even though I am usually flying a (mini) carrier, this is so much easier to use than going through the whole clickeroo to find and launch my docked runabout M5.

I can't really imagine what this would mean for an M2...

TheElix

Post by TheElix » Mon, 5. Jan 09, 02:15

What's the specs of the ship?

Gazz
x4

Post by Gazz » Mon, 5. Jan 09, 12:28

v2 released.

Added Explorer Command Software and Mineral Scanner.
(Scanning asteroids with an M2 is no fun)

I decided against adding a Bioscanner. That's far too specific and if you're organising boarding operations you can surely manage to get a ship scanned...
Last edited by Gazz on Mon, 5. Jan 09, 13:18, edited 1 time in total.

Stealth17
x3tc

Post by Stealth17 » Mon, 5. Jan 09, 12:45

Brilliant Gazz! Excellent work :thumb_up:

I'm usually snailling through a sector at 84 m/s in my Boreas (overtuned). Takes an eternity even then! I'll try this tonight when I'm back in the Universe 8).
Like a thousand other commanders on a thousand other battlefields, I wait for the dawn...

Gazz
x4

Post by Gazz » Mon, 5. Jan 09, 14:14

I uploaded the same version again because I forgot to include a library.

strude
x4

Post by strude » Thu, 8. Jan 09, 18:45

For the record, what are the "big ships" classes that this will work for?

Also since it's wise to return to the same ship, could the name of the new M5 ships default to something like "{parent ship ship} scout" or something to identify the parent ship. Generally people would know which ship they were previously piloting I suppose :shock:
Gaming PC: Gigabyte H270M-D3H | i7 7700 | 16Gb DDR4 | Gigabyte GTX1060 6Gb OC | Asus Xonar DGX | Window 10 Home 64bit | Samsung 256Gb SSD

Gazz
x4

Post by Gazz » Thu, 8. Jan 09, 18:56

Yeah, that wouldn't be a problem.
Assigning a homebase would be more logical but X3 has that pecular habit of deleting the HB of every ship you fly.

Actually, it would be easiest if the hotkey always targeted the "mothership" first and the closest big ship if that would not be available.

Edit: Done that. =)

kelmen

Post by kelmen » Fri, 16. Jan 09, 10:25

this only man for M2? no any ship with hangar?

ok, I tested over my Deimos

a M5 with some ship name I can't find from the Encyclopedia, but its top speed is 600+ !!!

I wonder can this script be enhance to select whether to pick the "rubber ship" or 1 of any docked ship?

Jar B
x4

Post by Jar B » Sun, 18. Jan 09, 15:28

A general question: would it be hard to add a version/date tag to any of your script zips? I'm confused by this on a regular basis.

cheers

Gazz
x4

Post by Gazz » Sun, 18. Jan 09, 15:57

kelmen wrote:I wonder can this script be enhance to select whether to pick the "rubber ship" or 1 of any docked ship?
You don't need this script if you wish to use one of your docked ships.
If there has to be a confirmation or selection menu everytime you launch, this script kinda loses it's simplicity of usage.
Yogi_K wrote:A general question: would it be hard to add a version/date tag to any of your script zips? I'm confused by this on a regular basis.
Chaos and confusion! My work here is done. (I am an agent of Satan but my duties are largely ceremonial)

If in doubt you can always DL the current version from my download site.
There will always be only one file to DL.

If you wish to host old versions of my scripts and create a version history - you have my blessings!
I just don't want another job. =)

Jar B
x4

Post by Jar B » Sun, 18. Jan 09, 16:27

Well that explains.... things :cool:

Happyblue
x4

Post by Happyblue » Sat, 28. Feb 09, 17:57

Gazz,

I enjoy your scripts but damn can't you convince Satan to allow you to format your flies in SPK?

Gazz
x4

Post by Gazz » Sat, 28. Feb 09, 23:33

Happyblue wrote:I enjoy your scripts but damn can't you convince Satan to allow you to format your flies in SPK?
I'm sorry but my powers may not be used for good.

semiliterate

Post by semiliterate » Sun, 1. Mar 09, 23:44

um

if Captain Pearle got into my rubber dinghi

and then i docked it back with my ship...

where is he now, do you think?

Gazz
x4

Post by Gazz » Mon, 2. Mar 09, 01:15

The description clearly states that cargo is not transferred.

semiliterate

Post by semiliterate » Mon, 2. Mar 09, 01:27

oh i know that. i was just wondering if you knew what happened to a mission-critical passenger - i've heard that he respawns if killed, but i'm not sure under what criteria, and also about whether it requires him to actually die or if being forcibly removed from the universe by erasure of the ship he was in counts.

Gazz
x4

Post by Gazz » Sat, 2. May 09, 17:10

semiliterate wrote:oh i know that. i was just wondering if you knew what happened to a mission-critical passenger - i've heard that he respawns if killed, but i'm not sure under what criteria, and also about whether it requires him to actually die or if being forcibly removed from the universe by erasure of the ship he was in counts.
In order to avoid that problem I intentionally chose a ship that can not carry M cargo at all. Passengers/Pilots/Marines are M cargo. =)

Version 8 released.
  • Compatibility fix for MARS v4.44
  • If you also use the Follow me! script, you can use this hotkey to target the homebase of a fighter you are currently flying.
    The homebase is not actually shown on the ship stats while you are piloting the fighter but the Follow me! script remembers.

Just like with the Rubber Dinghi, a double tap of the hotkey targets your homebase (carrier) and engages the autopilot for a landing approach.

Pretty convenient if I jump into some fighter on my carrier to kill an annoying M5. No need to look for my carrier when I want to fly back afterwards.
  • If you sent the boat away while staying in the mothership, you can target it with the hotkey.
    If the boat is within 5 km you are automatically transported inside.

If it is farther away you can issue a return order with a second press. (the equivalent of a loud whistle)
  • The mothership does no longer stop dead if it is following you when you activate the auto-return.

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude - Scripts and Modding”