[MD] The Traveling Mechanic - v0.2 - updated 03.12.2008

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

Teladidrone
x3tc

[MD] The Traveling Mechanic - v0.2 - updated 03.12.2008

Post by Teladidrone » Sun, 30. Nov 08, 19:10

MD Script: The Traveling Mechanic
Version: 0.2
Copyright (c) 2008 Teladidrone
All bugs you may stumble upon strictly belong to me and are to be turned over for questioning immediately!

Download:
[ external image ]
(spk format) - requires the Plugin manager.

Technical:
  • This MD script adds a special Mechanic ship to the X-Universe.
  • The ship is a big, ugly and slow monster - you will recognize it if you see it.
  • The ship's board engineer is the person you should talk to - he will offer overtuning services for your ship. For a good price of course.
  • The ship will slowly travel between random Boron shipyards. You better keep your eyes open out there...
Screenshot:
[ external image ]
(click to enlarge)

Resources:
8371-L044

Changelog:
30/11/2008 Release of version 0.1 - BETA.
03/12/2008 v0.2: Minor update to disable race logic on spawned ships; change to spk distribution.
Last edited by Teladidrone on Wed, 3. Dec 08, 15:06, edited 4 times in total.

Teladidrone
x3tc

Post by Teladidrone » Sun, 30. Nov 08, 19:11

--reserved--

Lancefighter
x4

Post by Lancefighter » Sun, 30. Nov 08, 19:42

looks pretty nice, will try out.

ChrisCorr
x3tc

Post by ChrisCorr » Sun, 30. Nov 08, 20:44

Sounds pretty cool!

But is there any confirmation message you receive? Or mini-introduction like with your Marauder Shipyard script? Because I have no clue if the script got installed right and I don't feel like scouting Boron sectors for nothing.

Teladidrone
x3tc

Post by Teladidrone » Sun, 30. Nov 08, 21:22

Just one short notice in your log: "The Traveling Mechanic version X installed."
If you have got that all is well and the ship will start to move around... somewhere.

I did not include any more information because this ship should only add a little flavor to the X-Universe.
Maybe you will see it flying around some day, maybe not.

However, there will always be a ship somewhere. I am pretty sure I made the script stable enough to guarantee that. Well, I hope... you know... first released version and all ;)

If it is destroyed (or captured *hint, hint*) it will respawn. Destruction may happen from time to time - the ship will boldly go from one Boron shipyard to some other one and sometimes a Xenon or Pirate sector will be on route... :o

corhen
x3tc

Post by corhen » Mon, 1. Dec 08, 04:44

sounds great, but could you upload a .spk version??
i dont like installing otherwise, as it makes it too hard to track what mods i have.

Thrandisher
x4

Post by Thrandisher » Mon, 1. Dec 08, 05:04

Looks great. Now if i could only get scorps map to work on 2nd monitor, id be all set!

ChrisCorr
x3tc

Post by ChrisCorr » Mon, 1. Dec 08, 05:12

Yep I found it :D

I like your scripts that add a "little flavor". But are the Nvidium mines bought at The Marauder supposed to have a 21 hour production cycle? Damn... Ah well, they're pretty useless anyway.

Teladidrone
x3tc

Post by Teladidrone » Mon, 1. Dec 08, 05:46

corhen wrote:sounds great, but could you upload a .spk version??
i dont like installing otherwise, as it makes it too hard to track what mods i have.
Updating is faster that way (for me that is because the dreaded Pluginmanager likes to crash on me 9 out of 10 times). :evil:
I'll make a spk as soon as the remaining bugs are found and killed - hopefully soon, still waiting for reports to roll in...
ChrisCorr wrote:But are the Nvidium mines bought at The Marauder supposed to have a 21 hour production cycle? Damn... Ah well, they're pretty useless anyway.
Yeah, I noticed that, too :(
Unfortunately changing this would require a mod...

Lodger
x4

Post by Lodger » Mon, 1. Dec 08, 06:54

I have been looking at this ship previously in the cheat modpack but really didnt want to get it that way. In the next version could you make it so the otas or boron shipyards sell this ship (at a reasonable cost, 100m or so.)

Also is there any specs for this ship avaliable?

Teladidrone
x3tc

Post by Teladidrone » Mon, 1. Dec 08, 14:19

Well, my idea was that the player may try to board and capture this ship.
It is created as boardable by the script and I installed some defenses to prevent that ;)

I sure could add it to my Marauder shipyard with the next update if ppl want that.

Stats from memory, I cant look it up atm:
It is slow as hell. Max speed is about 12m/s or so, can't be tuned for more in vanilla.
Huge XL cargo bay - over 100k for sure and I think it can be extended even way beyond that.
30 docking slots, can dock up to M6 internally, can dock 1 M7/M2/M1 externally.
12 GJ shielding, 3 turrets but no compatible lasers. :(
Cost is indeed around 100m if one adds it to a shipyard for sale.

I'll post the exact stats later tonight if no one else has the time to do
it before.

ChrisCorr
x3tc

Post by ChrisCorr » Mon, 1. Dec 08, 14:25

Can it fit a jumpdrive?

Would make an interesting baseship for fleet resupply and regroup.

Teladidrone
x3tc

Post by Teladidrone » Mon, 1. Dec 08, 14:50

ChrisCorr wrote:Can it fit a jumpdrive?
Sure it can; it's considered as just another M1 from the game engine... a really slow and clumsy one.
And you better hope there is nothing in your way if you come out of that next gate. ;)

Malakie
x4

suggestion

Post by Malakie » Mon, 1. Dec 08, 15:07

Suggestion: After so many overtunings there will be no use for the ship or engineer.. how about adding his ability to repair ship damage for a cost? Perhaps even equipment repair as well.....
Take it light.....

Malakie

----------------------------------------------------

fud
x3

Post by fud » Mon, 1. Dec 08, 15:20

You could make him a traveling parts store. :)

Guns, missiles, shields, etc.

TSM
Not a Moderator
x4

Post by TSM » Mon, 1. Dec 08, 16:03

that ships looks great *prints it* puts it on wall and gazes lovingly :P
FAQ's Egosoft Interactive FAQ
Egosoft Wiki

Teladidrone
x3tc

Post by Teladidrone » Mon, 1. Dec 08, 16:16

fud wrote:You could make him a traveling parts store. :)

Guns, missiles, shields, etc.
Lol, yeah.
However, a guy running a (rare) parts/equipment store I have already planed to add to my shipyard at some point.
This one here was (or is) just a field test to get more comfortable with MD scripting - this whole MD concept is still a little weird but I'm slowly starting to understand it.. ;)

corhen
x3tc

Post by corhen » Mon, 1. Dec 08, 19:29

the first thought i saw was a mobile repair station.
i like over-tuning, but a mechanic is a mechanic, so he should be able to repair (maybe for a premium for working under his talent)

Teladidrone
x3tc

Post by Teladidrone » Mon, 1. Dec 08, 20:11

Well... maybe.
However, there are plenty shipyards around all offering you that service and with TC you now can always hop in your spacesuit and do it yourself for free.
On top of that, there are already other scripts around that offer convenient ways for repairing and I am not sure if the coding necessary for this would really be worth it. :?

Malakie
x4

Post by Malakie » Mon, 1. Dec 08, 23:20

Teladidrone wrote:Well... maybe.
However, there are plenty shipyards around all offering you that service and with TC you now can always hop in your spacesuit and do it yourself for free.
On top of that, there are already other scripts around that offer convenient ways for repairing and I am not sure if the coding necessary for this would really be worth it. :?
Ah but you see grasshopper, that is not always the case! :-)

Actually I always seem to end up in sectors that do not have shipyards anywhere around... Right now I have 24 damaged ships, the closest shipyard is 4 sectors away and none of these ships are jump capable. For playing purposes, it would be MUCH more realistic to make an emergency distress call where your mechanic and his ship arrive to make repairs there in space. My ships would need to dock with his of course for repairs.... and those repairs might take some few hours of game play time to actually complete (king of the same way the HQ reverse engineers ships).

Of course being that this is a special service, it would not be cheap. There would be a call charge, travel charge, and then of course the repair charges themselves.

I really hate having to use a cheat script to fix my ships after a major battle when I have this many in need of work. You script would really add a great element of game play with the repair function.
Take it light.....

Malakie

----------------------------------------------------

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude - Scripts and Modding”