[QUESTION] What script/mod provides/causes foo? Ask here.

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

jlehtone
x4

[QUESTION] What script/mod provides/causes foo? Ask here.

Post by jlehtone » Tue, 21. Oct 08, 08:12

It is inevitable. A user will enter this forum, and despite staring diligently at the Community Library, the Modding Tutorials, and other invisibles, will still have a question of "What provides feature foo?" It may be a simple case of calling the feature foo, while script author speaks of bar, or a more divergent query.

The other FAQ scenario is when a user has already installed a host of S&M and is having a problem. "What causes problem foo?" Naturally one should eliminate improbable causes first, and then ask in the thread of the relevant thread.

Both types of queries tend to repeat. If we could collect them into this thread, then the next user with the same question should find the answer from here. This won't sticky, but there is a link in sticky to here, so it should always be within reach without the dreaded SearchFunction.

Dr. Dan

[req] V-sync optimization?

Post by Dr. Dan » Mon, 24. Nov 08, 17:45

[req] V-sync optimization [/req]

I'm using a rather high-end machine and experiencing a lot of vertical tearing. I've messed around with the settings quite a bit, but cant seem to get optimal performance. I hate to use crysis as a bench now, but I can run that on full graphics. Here are some specs, any suggestions are appreciated :)

Processor: Intel Dual Core2 Duo E6750 (not OC at the moment) 2.66GHz
Memory: 4.00 GB
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 8800GT x2 SLI (newest drivers)

The game itself is through a steam install. I'd love to play the game on highest settings and glow enabled without the planets or stations tearing when they come into view.

Cheers!

[Edit] Ah I'm using mods too, this may be a cause of the problem. Heres a list of the ones I have installed:

Advanced Missile Defense by Fud
Bounty Boost by LV
Cheat Collection Package by Cycrow (to counteract the occasional storyline glitch)
Compare Ships by Graxter
Freight Transporter Upgrade by LV
Improved Boarding by Cycrow
LazCorp Claim Unknown Sector by Lazerath
Manual Trade Extension by ThisIsHarsh
Marine Repairs by Tatakau
Medusa Rapid Fire Missile Interface by LV
Mobile Ship Repairs by Graxster
Salvage Claim Software by Cycrow
Upgrade Kits (formerly Jumpdrive Kits v1.4) by LV
Wing Hotkeys by Cycrow

I started a brand new game and with these all enabled to see if the tearing was still happening, and it was. At the start of the game with the script editor I could see I was running over 8600 scrips. Does this seem too high?

Cheers!

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Mon, 24. Nov 08, 23:18

I do not think that scripting and modding can "optimize" as such. That is the job of the hardcode, and that is beyond S&M. What we can do, is to replace models with something less intensive, such as modding asteroids and ships made from less polygons. Not as pretty, but cheaper to draw. And the scripters can redesign their scripts to consume less CPU.

You are using multiple scripts. Lets assume that the performance problems are not due to game engine or driver bugs. So it must then be one or more of those scripts, or their combination. You should think through, which scripts might be running some heavy loop in the background, continuously. Hotkeys, for example, do not sound like doing that, if they run only when you press them. Then check the thread of each candidate script to see if any of them has already reported being "heavy".

And then ask in those threads, if needed. The script authors do need your feedback. They do read their own threads. And other users do read those threads too. Perhaps your to-the-point feedback can save one gray hair from the other users.
Goner Pancake Protector X
Insanity included at no extra charge.
There is no Box. I am the sand.

Loid
x3

Cheat script issue? Can't jump in Terran sectors

Post by Loid » Mon, 1. Dec 08, 00:00

Hi folks

I'm not sure where to post this so will try here first, mods, please move if I've got the wrong forum

I had the M148 bug where everyone was against me, so due to being able to spend very few hours on the game went for the easy option and installed Cyrows excellent cheat script. I used it once or twice in M148 to turn the enemies to friends and was able to complete the mission :)

However, a few missions later I went back to my Sabre I'd docked at Omicron Lyrae only to find it stripped of all equipment! Next I found I was unable to jump to any Terran sectors. Even after revisiting them the jump drive would not work in for any of them.

I'm not sure if this is an issue with the cheat, or if it's just more issues with a b*ggered game.

Any ideas folks? I really don't want to restart as it took me several weeks to get this far (not much time for games, but with X ones I go in for the long haul :) )

TIA

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by Cycrow » Mon, 1. Dec 08, 00:08

u've never been able to jump into terran sectors.

jumpdrives use the gates to lock onto to jump, terran sectors dont have gates to lock onto, so the jumpdrives dont work.

you can only jump to asteroid belt.

its also not a bug no matter what others say, it is intended

Loid
x3

Post by Loid » Mon, 1. Dec 08, 00:27

Thanks very much Cycrow, I hadn't noticed that before (left terran sections, never to return until now!). That answers one of the questions :)

I'm still a bit confused over the loss of all the equipment from my ship, I can't buy the weapons back now as my rep isn't good enough with the Terran. Is it possible this was caused by the script? I've had a lot of issues with the story line missions so it might well not be caused by it.

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by Cycrow » Mon, 1. Dec 08, 00:38

its unlikly to have been cause by the cheat scripts, as the scripts are only run when you tell them too, so its very unlikly to effect a ship that you havn't used the cheats on.

as for y the equipment went missing, this i really dont know. Not seen that happen before, especially if its just been sat in a station

Loid
x3

Post by Loid » Mon, 1. Dec 08, 00:52

Thanks once again, I appreciate you spending the time to reply :) Looks like I need to earn some cash to spend on Argon technology instead 8)

smbh

Mystery behind SS_WARE_SW_NEW1

Post by smbh » Mon, 1. Dec 08, 10:35

For some reason I have Paranid EQ Docks carrying it and I have no idea what it could be. I'm a sloppy updater, usually updating several scripts a go so I'm not even sure where to look for the culprit.

[ external image ]

Ravenholme
x3tc

Post by Ravenholme » Mon, 1. Dec 08, 10:39

Could it be Medusa Rapid Fire Missile Interface?

smbh

Post by smbh » Mon, 1. Dec 08, 10:48

Yep, seems like, I seemed to recall it costing as much, searched for the thread and it was it. Wonder why it's not updating the name properly though....

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Mon, 1. Dec 08, 11:06

System fails to get the proper name from the text file. Corrupted/missing/conflicting text file(s)?

This "missing proper string" is a classic (FAQ) problem. You should know the scripts that are supposed to provide the text. Those scripts should tell it in their description. And in the Community Library too. Hmm, none of the obvious locations seem to spell it out. Perhaps a note to the author in appropriate thread? ;)
Goner Pancake Protector X
Insanity included at no extra charge.
There is no Box. I am the sand.

Ikaruga
x4

Post by Ikaruga » Fri, 12. Dec 08, 08:44

Hi,

Here's my problem : I load my save, I leave the station where I was docked, I fly for a few minutes, and then the game freezes completly. It does not crash but I can't move nor do anything and the music "loops"...

The only way I can quit the game is ctrl alt del and kill it.

I play with version 1.3

I can send you the save file if you want.

Can someone help, please ?

Here are the scripts I use :

- Deathmatch arena
- CAG
- Marine Repairs
- Improved Boarding
- Nividium processing plant

I had a look in the different forums of those scripts, but did not find anything about this problem.

I also gave my save to a friend who has none of those scripts installed, he got exactly the same result.

Loading an earlier save seems to solve the problem somehow, but then it comes back a few hours later ...
If brute force doesn't solve your problems, then you aren't using enough

th0th
x4

Post by th0th » Sat, 13. Dec 08, 02:20

typically only noticed that this thread would be more appropriate than the script requests, if only my dulled brain had spotted it sooner. Anyhow;

Odd request this one which i hope can be done with a script, essentially one of the Shipyards in my universe (Light of Heart) the trade screen has become blank and stretches over all my savegames, the info screen is fine and if i dock ships there i can sell them but none of the info screen appears on the trade screen, which is most unfortunate. Any Ideas?

i can dig out the large list of mods i'm using if that might help already tried the obvious things and some other suggestions, switching off a few odd mods and such.

amirite

Post by amirite » Sat, 13. Dec 08, 17:51

Just realized this thread is more for actual scripting topics, I'll post it somewhere else.
-TEVE

Thetis
x4

Anyone run into this problem?

Post by Thetis » Sun, 4. Jan 09, 03:55

Hey, I have just started a new game in TC and I found that no ship upgrades (such as engine tunings, fight command software, etc) are listed anywhere in any equipment docks or anything else. I have several minor mods that are installed as fake patches (HQ hack and such) and multiple scripts but have never seen any do this before.

Anyone run into this before, I heard a rumor that it may be related to the plugin manager?

jlehtone
x4

Re: Anyone run into this problem?

Post by jlehtone » Sun, 4. Jan 09, 23:21

Thetis wrote:... I have several minor mods that are installed as fake patches (HQ hack and such) and multiple scripts but have never seen any do this before.

Anyone run into this before, I heard a rumor that it may be related to the plugin manager?
"Spread no rumors", said the old posters. If Plugin Manager has caused that, then the thread of the Plugin Manager (not really hard to find) should contain description of such problem already, and probably an answer too. And if nobody has asked in that thread so far whether Manager causes such problem, you could be the first one to do so.

As usual, retrace your steps, and recall what scripts and mods you have installed since the last time the game "worked". They have threads too. Or perhaps they conflict with your previous mods. The authors of those threads probably want to know about problems within their work, but are not probable to read every "this problem" thread, particularly when their S&M is not specifically mentioned in the thread.

{Merged for educative purposes.}

pelador
x3tc

Post by pelador » Fri, 16. Jan 09, 19:28

Well I bought the bullet and decided you needed to have a number of appendages like an adult Boron to be able to work the Piract routines for larger ships as a result I'm now using scripts and a modified game.

Scripts chosen to use so far are Improved boarding and MARS Fire turret system.

These two require you to set-up your pilot name as "Therewillbewings". Happily got them both working and am quite amazed how helpful they are so thanks to the developers.

The question I have is can I now revert the name back to one of choice or do I have to retain this name setting?

(Thought it sensible to post here as others may wish to know if you can revert the name after set-up for scripts that use this feature)

WildAce
x4

Post by WildAce » Fri, 16. Jan 09, 19:55

ive been getting alot of random game crashes, Never had any before. but i think it all started when i updated from FND v2.1 to 3.0 ever sence then every once in awhile it seems the game will lock up and bring up the game has stopped responding windows box and can choose wait for program to respond or close it.

mods currently installed are.

Auto-Rename Player Property :: Graxster :: Yes :: 1.0 :: 25/11/2008
Community Plugin Configuration :: Cycrow :: Yes :: 1.10 :: 28/10/2008
Custom Prefix :: Nivdium :: Yes :: 1 :: 20/12/2008
FDNv3 :: Logain Abler :: Yes :: 3 :: 11/01/2009
Improved Boarding :: Cycrow :: Yes :: 1.10 :: 28/10/2008
LazCorp Claim Unknown Sector - X3TC :: Lazerath :: Yes :: v1.02 :: 06/11/2008
Marine Repairs :: Tatakau :: Yes :: 1.01 :: 01/11/2008
Military Outpost at Shipyard v.1 :: AMuph0 :: Yes :: 1 :: 16/12/2008
Mobile Ship Repairs :: Graxster :: Yes :: 1.7 :: 06/11/2008
OTAS Shipyard v.2 :: AMurph0 :: Yes :: 2 :: 17/12/2008
Pandora :: Teladidrone :: Yes :: 0.2 :: 15/11/2008
Race Patrols :: ttl :: Yes :: 1.42 :: 17/12/2008
Reduced Enemy Missiles :: Graxster :: Yes :: 1.0 :: 05/11/2008
Satellite Early Warning Network :: Cycrow :: Yes :: 1.20 :: 31/10/2008
Ship killed notifications :: ThisIsHarsh :: Yes :: 1.0.3 :: 16/11/2008
The Marauder Shipyard :: Teladidrone :: Yes :: 0.4 :: 21/12/2008
UT for Most ship types :: apricotslice aka Timothy Ellis :: Yes :: 1 :: 04/12/2008
Wing Command Equip Like Extention/Fix :: silentdeth :: Yes :: 0.03 :: 20/11/2008

other scripts/mods/missions
Apricot-Extended-PHQ-Patch (not sure if this ones working or not with the FDN, doesnt FDN modify the HQ also? or are they compatible? i just got the PHQ in my game yesterday so i dont even know how much storage its supposed to have)

Apricot-Medium-Hub-Plot
No Patrols
No Civilians
Reduced Enemy missles
AltMap_NewSuns_excl_SID
add.jumpdrives.and.triplex
add.owps.to.apsy.v1.01
Prospektor_X3TC_V3100
MARS

not sure what else might be installed heh.

also a little off topic but this game runs like crap to be honest lol.
1440x900 no AA, no AF, Medium Textures, High Shaders, no glow, AQC on, No more dynamic light sources, Ship colors On.

and in a decent sized fight the game is unbearably laggy easily 10fps

i dont ever remember it gettong close to that laggy with my older 320mb 8800GTS at 1600x900 resolution. when i upgraded to the 1GB 4870 i thought id be able to play at 1920x1080 (i use my 46" LCD HDTV usually)
but atm the game doesnt run well at all and this is a fresh install of windows vista 64bit so there are no residual Geforce drivers left on the system. all my other games seemed to love the new card but this one went backwords.

System Spec:
3.2Ghz Intel Q6600 1600FSB 400x8
2x2GB DDR2 800mhz 1:1 with FSB
Asus P5Q pro MB
1GB Sapphire 4870 8.12 Drivers
X-fi Extreme Gamer sound card.
2x640GB 32MB cache WD hard drives Raid 0 (Windows+Games)
2x320GB 8MB cache WD hard drives Raid 0 (Misc Data)
2x36GB 8MB cache WD hard drives Raid 0 (Page File)

ephemeron
x4

Post by ephemeron » Sun, 25. Jan 09, 04:46

I've been having a problem with marines turning into passengers when I pick them up from space. (They appear as "Astronaut (Marine)" on the sector map, then turn into passengers when they enter my ship.) Via the Plugin Manager, I have installed:
  • Cheat Collection Package :: Cycrow :: Yes :: 1.41 :: 07/11/2008
    Community Plugin Configuration :: Cycrow :: Yes :: 1.10 :: 28/10/2008
    Improved Boarding :: Cycrow :: Yes :: 1.10 :: 28/10/2008
    Marine Repairs :: Tatakau :: Yes :: 1.01 :: 01/11/2008
    NPC Bailing Addon :: ThisIsHarsh :: Yes :: 1.6.2 :: 02/12/2008
    Salvage Claim Software Mk. 1 :: TECSG :: Yes :: 3.04 :: 14/11/2008
    Salvage Commands and NPCs :: ThisIsHarsh :: Yes :: 1.5 :: 20/11/2008
    The Marauder Shipyard :: Teladidrone :: Yes :: 0.4 :: 21/12/2008
    XenoTec Shipyard V.1 :: AMurph0 :: Yes :: 1 :: 19/12/2008
plus Lucike's CAG, Prospector, and Dockwarenmanager; Gazz' MARS Fire Control and Complex Cleaner; apricotslice's PHQ Extension Patch and Medium Hub Plot; and Graxter's Marine Training Manager.

Any ideas?

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude - Scripts and Modding”