[PROGRAM] Jobs Editor

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

Observe
xr

[PROGRAM] Jobs Editor

Post by Observe » Fri, 28. Nov 08, 05:51

Here is a Jobs editor for Terran Conflict.

This program has basic functionality necessary to edit and view Jobs files which have been extracted from the game data files. Latest version also features ability to load, edit, and save associated JobWings file.

Those who know about working with Jobs will understand what this program is for.

Release version 1.0.7:
Last edited by TVCD on Wed, 2. Nov 22, 08:41, edited 27 times in total.
Reason: Old link removed

fud
x3

Post by fud » Fri, 28. Nov 08, 15:06

Sweet.

I've got me "Extended" freighters in TC, but tried to manually add them to the jobs (adding a 1 in the right offset), but I don't think it took.

spacefueladdict
x3tc

Post by spacefueladdict » Fri, 28. Nov 08, 15:15

Oh yesss!

nice one 'observe' had found it quite frustrating that i could do anything with those files.

would like to volunteer for beta tests :D

ttl
x3tc

Post by ttl » Fri, 28. Nov 08, 15:31

Hooray! Thanks, this will be useful.

Observe
xr

Post by Observe » Fri, 28. Nov 08, 16:48

Well I'm still hoping Doubleshadow will update his editor. If he (Doubleshadow) does update his editor for Jobs complience, I will likely put my program on hold. My efforts in this regard are mainly intended as a solution in case of no Doubleshadow update. :wink:

Observe
xr

Post by Observe » Mon, 1. Dec 08, 08:53

[UPDATE] Beta version now available. OP updated with download link.

enenra
x4

Post by enenra » Mon, 1. Dec 08, 12:44

Hiho Observe,

Looks really useful, here some bugs I found while playing around:

- once I start the setup in a directory, I can't move the files to another directory, the Editor doesn't work anymore if I do.
- it's not possible to maximise the window, nor to expand it over a certain size.

Things which would be useful but aren't really bugs:

- an .exe which starts the Jobs Editor
- a way to uninstall the Editor
- an automatically created shortcut
- the possibility to define the path to the \types\-folder
- the possibility to add new Jobs entries without having to clone an existing one
- filter options for the jobs-list
- the possibility to define which language files the Editor loads
- the possibility to "jump" to the jobs language-file entry maybe

:)

Observe
xr

Post by Observe » Mon, 1. Dec 08, 18:56

@enenra: Thanks for taking time to test. Basically I "threw" this together over the last couple of days, and I know there are many things that can/will be improved/added.
enenra wrote: - once I start the setup in a directory, I can't move the files to another directory, the Editor doesn't work anymore if I do.
Will change with next beta.
enenra wrote:- it's not possible to maximise the window, nor to expand it over a certain size.
Will consider alternatives with next beta
enenra wrote:Things which would be useful but aren't really bugs: (Observe's responses in green)

- an .exe which starts the Jobs Editor - ?? already has
- a way to uninstall the Editor - ?? already has - but beter way next beta
- an automatically created shortcut - next beta
- the possibility to define the path to the \types\-folder - good idea
- the possibility to add new Jobs entries without having to clone an existing one - possibility
- filter options for the jobs-list - ?? not sure what you mean
- the possibility to define which language files the Editor loads - future version
- the possibility to "jump" to the jobs language-file entry maybe - future version
Thanks again enenra! This tool will continue evolving and expanding with time permitting. :)

enenra
x4

Post by enenra » Mon, 1. Dec 08, 19:25

@Observe
No problem, actually I profit of this tool getting better as well as I will be using it. :D

It's great that you plan on working and expanding this :thumb_up: . And for being "thrown together" it works great! :)

exe - yes, but only the setup.exe afaik. Would probably good to rename it.

uninstall - didn't see it anywhere

filter options - well, to filter the jobs with different options like "race alphabetically", "jobname alphabetically", "ship class", "pilot race" etc.

Observe
xr

Post by Observe » Mon, 1. Dec 08, 19:34

enenra wrote:exe - yes, but only the setup.exe afaik. Would probably good to rename it.
Actually, following installation (setup.exe) you will find a folder in your programs menu (start-programs-Quietmind). In that folder is the executable "xjobs.exe". You could copy/paste to your desktop.
enenra wrote:uninstall - didn't see it anywhere
You can uninstall via Control Panel - Add or Remove Programs.
enenra wrote:filter options - well, to filter the jobs with different options like "race alphabetically", "jobname alphabetically", "ship class", "pilot race" etc.
I understand. Yes, that would be a good idea, and I will try to include with subsequent version.

Observe
xr

Post by Observe » Tue, 2. Dec 08, 06:16

[UPDATE] version beta 1.0.2.

Please refer to Change Log in OP for details . Please uninstall previous version if you have it.

Malakie
x4

Post by Malakie » Tue, 2. Dec 08, 08:09

Observe wrote:[UPDATE] version beta 1.0.2.

Please refer to Change Log in OP for details . Please uninstall previous version if you have it.

Is there a manual or something to teach us newbs in the scripting side of things how to use this, what it is for and how what we change actually is for and does in game?
Take it light.....

Malakie

----------------------------------------------------

Observe
xr

Post by Observe » Tue, 2. Dec 08, 16:13

Malakie wrote:Is there a manual or something to teach us newbs in the scripting side of things how to use this, what it is for and how what we change actually is for and does in game?
There is currently no manual for this program. From time to time I have considered writing a detailed Jobs tutorial, but my other modding activities always manage to get in the way. Actually, I do have a tutorial about 80% completed which I will probably eventually finish and publish.

In a nutshell, Jobs are what the game uses to determine which ships to spawn where and when. By editing Jobs, you can alter the number, type, placement, and timing of AI ships. Jobs works in conjunction with JobWings - which specifies which Jobs will be "wings" of other spawned Jobs. Sound confusing?

Please keep in mind the only reason I wrote this Jobs editor in the first place was to fill the "vacuum" until Doubleshadow can release his "master plan" implementation for new version of his tools.

Observe
xr

Post by Observe » Tue, 2. Dec 08, 22:56

[UPDATE] beta 1.0.3

Please refer to OP Change Log for details. This will probably be the last update for a while. :wink:

Observe
xr

Post by Observe » Sun, 7. Dec 08, 02:05

[UPDATE] New version has ability to view, edit and save associated JobWings file.

enenra
x4

Post by enenra » Sun, 7. Dec 08, 12:00

Great! :)

I'm going to look through it today.

Observe
xr

Post by Observe » Sun, 7. Dec 08, 17:53

enenra wrote:Great! :)

I'm going to look through it today.
Thanks enenra! Please let me know any feedback you may have which could be helpful to user. Next release will begin to build documentation on how to use the program, and how to edit Jobs and JobWings. :)

Malakie
x4

Post by Malakie » Sun, 7. Dec 08, 20:51

Observe wrote:
Malakie wrote:Is there a manual or something to teach us newbs in the scripting side of things how to use this, what it is for and how what we change actually is for and does in game?
There is currently no manual for this program. From time to time I have considered writing a detailed Jobs tutorial, but my other modding activities always manage to get in the way. Actually, I do have a tutorial about 80% completed which I will probably eventually finish and publish.

In a nutshell, Jobs are what the game uses to determine which ships to spawn where and when. By editing Jobs, you can alter the number, type, placement, and timing of AI ships. Jobs works in conjunction with JobWings - which specifies which Jobs will be "wings" of other spawned Jobs. Sound confusing?

Please keep in mind the only reason I wrote this Jobs editor in the first place was to fill the "vacuum" until Doubleshadow can release his "master plan" implementation for new version of his tools.

Everything you said makes sense.. Where does one find or get this jobs and JobsWings file? Nothing that says I cannot play with it, screw it up totally and start again! :o
Take it light.....

Malakie

Observe
xr

Post by Observe » Sun, 7. Dec 08, 21:05

Malakie wrote:...Where does one find or get this jobs and JobsWings file?
Jobs.txt and JobWings.txt are contained in the types folder within the game data files (.dat). They can be extracted using Doubleshadow ModManager.

If you modify them, you can place them back in the highest number data file (05.dat or whatever), or create a types sub-directory in the game root directory and put them there. Often mod creators will place these files in there own data files for use with custom game.

In case of a custom game, you can rename these two files to associate with a custom map and or custom game. For example, if you have custom mod "mymod", with custom map "mymod", then you could create Jobs.mymod.txt and JobWings.mymod.txt to go along with your mod. This way, if player clicks "Select Mod Package" at game startup, choosing mymod, and then plays custom game mymod, the modified Jobs and JobWings will operate.

As I mentioned, next version of the Editor will have not only instructions on how to use the program, but also at least some basic explanation of what these files do, and how to modify them. In the meantime, the editor is reasonably intuitive to use, and is mainly intended for modders delving into some of the more arcane aspects of X3 modding. :wink:

Malakie
x4

Post by Malakie » Sun, 7. Dec 08, 21:13

Observe wrote:
Malakie wrote:...Where does one find or get this jobs and JobsWings file?
Jobs.txt and JobWings.txt are contained in the types folder within the game data files (.dat). They can be extracted using Doubleshadow ModManager.

If you modify them, you can place them back in the highest number data file (05.dat or whatever), or create a types sub-directory in the game root directory and put them there. Often mod creators will place these files in there own data files for use with custom game.

In case of a custom game, you can rename these two files to associate with a custom map and or custom game. For example, if you have custom mod "mymod", with custom map "mymod", then you could create Jobs.mymod.txt and JobWings.mymod.txt to go along with your mod. This way, if player clicks "Select Mod Package" at game startup, choosing mymod, and then plays custom game mymod, the modified Jobs and JobWings will operate.

As I mentioned, next version of the Editor will have not only instructions on how to use the program, but also at least some basic explanation of what these files do, and how to modify them. In the meantime, the editor is reasonably intuitive to use, and is mainly intended for modders delving into some of the more arcane aspects of X3 modding. :wink:

Thanks for the explanation... which left me with more questions! :D So I will wait for the next release with the help file and tutorial before asking anymore!

Don't get me wrong, I understood exactly what you wrote.. but then little things like WHICH .dat file contains the jobs file etc since there are 5 .dat files.... stuff like that.... dam I hate being newb at things...
Take it light.....

Malakie

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude - Scripts and Modding”