[discontinued] [MOD] CockpitCallback MOD v1.0(for v2.0+) 05/04/2009

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

Saphirefenix
xr

Post by Saphirefenix » Thu, 30. Oct 08, 14:17

If I didn't fail epically at 3d design I would load up 3dsmax right now and make some more cockpits. But I don't have the slightest clue where to start...

All I can say is, I refused to buy this game until it got cockpits, and well... this is good enough for now.

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

pepperg
x3tc

Post by pepperg » Sun, 2. Nov 08, 04:37

sigh...here we are two games and about 6 years later, and we're still having to rig the x2 cockpits into x3:tc. definately a "wtf," imo.
SeagateBarracuda320GB 7200 SATA
LIANLI PC-7B plus II MidTower
EVGA GeForce8800GTX 768MB
Intel Core2Duo E6600Conroe 2.4GHz
CORSAIR 2GB DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800
WDRaptor 150GB 10,000 RPM
EVGAnforce SLI 680imobo

mrjingo
x4

Post by mrjingo » Sun, 2. Nov 08, 05:59

I agree wholeheartedly..... :cry:

amirite

Post by amirite » Sun, 2. Nov 08, 15:36

Egosoft probably would have had to bring in at least 2 additional talented 3D artists for this... plus at least one texture artist. Plus another coder to work on the (obvious) problems that arise from this feature. That's a lot of money for a smaller company like Egosoft. Better this is a mod community effort.
-TEVE

JCESAR

Post by JCESAR » Sun, 2. Nov 08, 18:02

amirite wrote:Egosoft probably would have had to bring in at least 2 additional talented 3D artists for this... plus at least one texture artist. Plus another coder to work on the (obvious) problems that arise from this feature. That's a lot of money for a smaller company like Egosoft. Better this is a mod community effort.
They have money to make a game, but they dont have money to make some cockpits...yeah right....

Skeeter
x3

Post by Skeeter » Sun, 2. Nov 08, 22:00

I would have offered to have made the 3d meshes for them of a high quality if they did the texturing. That would have saved them a bundle.
[ external image ]
7600x cpu 5.4ghz 32gb DDR5 5600mhz 6700XT 32" 1440p mon

pepperg
x3tc

Post by pepperg » Tue, 4. Nov 08, 05:30

baffles me they don't consider it worth their effort :evil: :? :(
EVGAnforce SLI 680imobo

Observe
xr

Post by Observe » Tue, 4. Nov 08, 15:53

It does appear the new UI (HUD) has "broken" the ability to use cockpits in the same manner as before. Any model placed in the Cockpit Scene field in TShips will cause the Windows Error problem that you've noticed from your attempts when you exit the game (and other scenarios). This happens regardless of whether the instruments (not functioning) are included or not.

I'm guessing this was an inadvertant side-affect of the new UI, and that ES will (hopefully) fix the problem in patch.

[EDIT] I have a few ideas that I will experiment during this week to see if there may be some way around the current problems installing functional (with instruments and no crash) cockpits. Possibilities have not yet been exhausted.

mrjingo
x4

Post by mrjingo » Tue, 4. Nov 08, 16:43

Great news! I hope you can figure this out, because the lack of cockpits is something I am really having problems getting over.:(

Observe
xr

Post by Observe » Tue, 4. Nov 08, 16:55

mrjingo wrote:Great news! I hope you can figure this out, because the lack of cockpits is something I am really having problems getting over.:(
Well, no great news yet. And yes, I know the feeling. In fact, if you look at the very first posts I made when X3-Reunion was released, you'll see how dismayed I was at that time. :cry:

sthakker
x3tc

Cockpits

Post by sthakker » Wed, 5. Nov 08, 04:06

I am glad to see you guys working on the cockpit mod... Actully I am in the same boat... I haven't purchased TC yet as I am waiting for Cockpits.. I just cannot play withut them.

Observe
xr

Post by Observe » Wed, 5. Nov 08, 16:24

My guess is there's no way cockpits can be used until/unless Egosoft fixes what got broken in TC. The problem (at least part of it) is the game will experience the X3TC.exe exception error whenever you use any model mesh in the cockpit scene.

There is potentially one way around this, and that is to build a cockpit into the actual ship. Then place the camera inside the cockpit. You can see a rough idea of this method in my old escape pod experiments.

Considering TC is hardly any (if any) improvement over X3-R, those who like cockpits are probably better off playing X3-Reunion - at least until Egosoft fixes the problem. In fact, at least in my opinion, X3-R is a better game than TC. Perhaps my opinion will change over time and patches for TC.

Gupster
xr

Post by Gupster » Wed, 5. Nov 08, 21:05

I was really hoping that Egosoft would have re-introduced cockpits into TC
considering how many people have been asking for them on the forums for a long time now. I realise that some people dont mind NOT having cockpits but i feel Egosoft could at least have included them into TC as an option you could either switch on or off. I have shelved TC for now and gone back to Reunion with XTM and cockpits, which is a shame because I really like TC but without cockpits it breaks the immersion for me.

It is encouraging that talented modders are at least looking into the possibilty to get them to work in TC and I am very grateful to the modders for trying.
Last edited by Gupster on Thu, 6. Nov 08, 10:45, edited 1 time in total.

spikened
x3

Post by spikened » Thu, 6. Nov 08, 07:02

Yes I have to say it's a disappointment of epic proportions that ES has ignored the (what appears to me to be) an intense desire to have cockpits in our ships. I too will join the ranks of people who won't buy the game until they are available.... actually I'm kinda pissed about it :evil:

I would suggest a poll to show ES how bad we really need them, but I think I remember that was done back when X3R came out. It doesn't appear that ES cares what we think or want.

Wazatiste

Post by Wazatiste » Thu, 6. Nov 08, 12:26

I got to say that i'm also disappointed that we don't get cockpits in TC but, perhaps, we will see them in a futur patch...

What ?

Let me dream, goddamnit :p

Anyway, i thank our modders that try to include cockpits in TC, for it would be a major improvement...

pepperg
x3tc

Post by pepperg » Fri, 7. Nov 08, 18:03

it's time the cockpits, be they mod or official, moved beyond the x2 graphics. bit of a bummer to have 6 year old graphics for the cockpit when the rest of the game looks so good, and i'm not buying the game until there are some decent looking cockpits available. egosoft would do well to reassess their priorities in this area.
EVGAnforce SLI 680imobo

Azz
x4

Post by Azz » Tue, 11. Nov 08, 11:58

+1000

I can't understand how Egosoft can have ignored one more time this demand of its fans...
iou naud ouate, aille ama pis | Pilote IA | Site

amirite

Post by amirite » Tue, 11. Nov 08, 16:13

Sorry guys but I'd reather have a bug-free game than fancy cockpits. You guys try designing more than 5 good-looking cockpits and when you're done in a year let me know.

It would have taken critical resources away from more important aspects of the game needing attention. I mentioned 4 employees earlier, that would be dedicated to cockpit work, and I'm probably overlooking some positions too. Work costs money. What's the problem with having the mod community make it anyhow?
-TEVE

Observe
xr

Post by Observe » Tue, 11. Nov 08, 16:25

amirite wrote:Sorry guys but I'd reather have a bug-free game than fancy cockpits.
If we had a bug-free game, there might be some credibility to that argument. Instead, what we have is a bug-ridden game with no cockpits!
amirite wrote:...It would have taken critical resources away from more important aspects of the game needing attention.
Such as? With X3-R we already had a very stable game. What exactly was the intention of X3-TC? What "more important aspects" are there in TC as compared with Reunion?

These "critical resources" you mention, simply seem to largely have been spent/wasted on adding a bunch of ships and other models. Granted some of the new models are nice, but was it worth the purchase price? If TC has any significant "added value", I'd like to know what it is.

Instead, what we've got is a lot of pissed-off modelers due to certain decisions ES has made which I won't go into here, and a lot of pissed-off players due to the rampant bugs.

TSM
Not a Moderator
x4

Post by TSM » Tue, 11. Nov 08, 17:13

Off-topic if you guys don't like the game then don't play it ranting about a game serves no purpose and just gets you mad this is not the real world.

As for Egosoft not listening to its user's :o , ES are one of the best Developer's for doing just that the Chat Room on your right has quite alot of the time actual ES employees who are helpful.

Yes TC has its bugs as do lot of games that get sent to publishing often in much worse state, but as we ALL know from previous games ES will do everything it can to fix them, you really can't blame ES for the bugs technically its publishers give it a deadline to date of release then it must be out no matter what state and as X Games are pretty niche only certain plublisher's will publish so its a vicious circle for them. :)

Lastly this forum is not a place for this kind of discussion. :wink:

On-Topic yes cockpits would be nice, but not essential to game play in anyway.
FAQ's Egosoft Interactive FAQ
Egosoft Wiki

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude - Scripts and Modding”