XNews: Preview about X3: Terran Conflict

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Bernd
Site Admin
Site Admin
x4

XNews: Preview about X3: Terran Conflict

Post by Bernd » Mon, 11. Aug 08, 15:56

For the next issue of the X Universe News, our regular email to the community, I have asked some of the developers of X3: Terran Conflict, to write a bit about their experiences over the past two years. The team that worked on this grand finale to the X series has been the biggest team to work on an X game ever, and the reason for this is that our core team was joined by some guys you may already know. So without further ado, let this series start:

Hi, I’m Bobby Wilkinson, one of the developers of X3: Terran Conflict, although some in the community probably know me better as Syklon, one of the developers behind the XTended mod. Some of the more observant may have already noticed a few XTended ships show up in some of the X3TC screenshots shown so far. X3TC includes what we felt were some of the best ships from XTended, which, even after being reworked to look and feel even better, should be familiar to XTended’s wonderful fans, while providing new, fun content for the rest of the players to enjoy. To mention some specifically, I’m sure all of our fans will be happy to hear about the inclusion of XTended’s Frigates (M7) and Heavy Corvettes, but with the massive amount of stuff X3TC is adding, these are just a drop in the bucket of new stuff for X3TC.

Before I started working on the X-series, and before I started modding the X-series, I was a player of the X-series, which goes for a lot of the other developers on the X3TC team as well. If we weren’t making or modifying the games, we were playing them, and that gave us a great mix of ideas for improvement from multiple perspectives. A lot of the new features you’ll see talked about more as we move towards release were things that we, as both players and developers, felt were missing from previous games in the series.

Don’t let the numbering fool you, X3: Terran Conflict is more than just X3: Reunion with a bunch of new ships and missions, although there’s plenty of those as well! You’ve already seen and read hints about some of the new stuff, like boarding parties, bombers, flight wing groups, missile frigates, and a new User Interface, but there’s still plenty more you haven’t heard about yet, like non-player corporations, new and improved mission-handling, military outposts, and a bunch of new weapons. So get ready to find out about even more cool stuff as we get closer to release, not to mention get more details about stuff we’ve already mentioned, because, as both a player and a developer, I have to say X3: Terran Conflict is going to be the best game in the X-series yet.

xalien
x4

Post by xalien » Mon, 11. Aug 08, 16:08

Is it September yet 8) ?

Risky
xr

Post by Risky » Mon, 11. Aug 08, 16:14

Sounds good. I better get my gaming box rebuilt and get back up to speed.

Tenlar Scarflame
xr

Post by Tenlar Scarflame » Mon, 11. Aug 08, 16:17

Suspicions confirmed :wink:

Sounds pretty awesome... can't wait to see some of these "military outposts." And new weapons, of course... :D
My music - Von Neumann's Children - Lasers and Tactics

I'm on Twitch! 21:15 EST Sundays. Come watch me die a lot.

X-Warrior B AS
Moderator (Nederlands)
Moderator (Nederlands)
x3tc

Post by X-Warrior B AS » Mon, 11. Aug 08, 16:22

xalien wrote:Is it September yet 8) ?
September ? Isn't that like... next month ? Whoo, coming soon :D

Shadowbourne
x3

Post by Shadowbourne » Mon, 11. Aug 08, 16:38

September?

Kick Ass i hate it when devs say a game is 'coming soon' when they really mean 2 years time....
"Can we have everything louder than everything else?"

- Ian Gillan, Deep Purple, to the Sound Engineer

Poobah
x3tc

Post by Poobah » Mon, 11. Aug 08, 16:53

Any word on the system reqs for X3:TC?
Lead me not into temptation,
For I can find the way myself!

cale_online
x3ap

Post by cale_online » Mon, 11. Aug 08, 17:02

lol it doesnt matter to me what the requirements are for X3:TC
cos i need a need a new pc just to play X3:R.. lol

i'd imagine it'd be maybe abit higher reqs than X3:R + XTM...

still i cant wait for it to come out!

but then i wont buy it for a while cos
A) apparently x3:R was broke when it came out. lol (i'll wait for a few patches 1st!)
B) theres no point with my pc struggling with x3:R
C) i wont be able to afford it after buildin a new pc :P

Skeeter
x3

Post by Skeeter » Mon, 11. Aug 08, 17:23

Hi there Bernd, aint seen you around for ages. Glad your still with us. :)

Thx for the mini interview it was a nice read.
[ external image ]
7600x cpu 5.4ghz 32gb DDR5 5600mhz 6700XT 32" 1440p mon

BugMeister
x4

Post by BugMeister » Mon, 11. Aug 08, 17:27

wow!!

- many thanks, Bernd..
- 'more excited than ever, now..!! :roll:

Pirate hater
x2

Post by Pirate hater » Mon, 11. Aug 08, 18:06

X-Warrior B AS wrote:
hmmm I could play it for a few weeks then go off to uni with a laptop which does not stand a chance to play it. :(

Al
x3tc

Post by Al » Mon, 11. Aug 08, 18:43

Guess we are going to be drip fed info for the next few weeks. Suits me :)
X2 Capture Guru - X3:TC Noob :D
X2 Capture Guide

Alkeena
x4

Post by Alkeena » Mon, 11. Aug 08, 18:44

:o I hadn't realized they had hired xtended devs...I was conflicted about whether or not I was at all interested in getting TC given that it entailed abandoning my xtended game. It's no longer in question--TC just became a must buy :D

exogenesis
x4

Post by exogenesis » Mon, 11. Aug 08, 19:34

'non-player corporations' sounds like a significant game play expansion,
hope this will add competative purpose to the economy.

Thanks for the new info, everything sounds good !

ubica

Post by ubica » Mon, 11. Aug 08, 19:36

all things considered, the engine probably won't be properly optimised. The thing is, once you're hooked to X3, you'll sell your kidney to get your hands on the right hardware to play the game. It' doesn't matter what the recommended specs are going to look like, just give us some great new ships, and weaponry, and stations, and races... :D

paul1290
x3tc

Post by paul1290 » Mon, 11. Aug 08, 21:49

Pirate hater wrote:
X-Warrior B AS wrote:
hmmm I could play it for a few weeks then go off to uni with a laptop which does not stand a chance to play it. :(
Go buy a better laptop then.

Power notbooks has some good prices on quite a few laptops that should be well capable of playing X3:
http://powernotebooks.com/index.php3

I'm getting mine with a Core 2 Duo P8400 2.26GHz processor, a Geforce 9600M GT 512MB graphics card, and 2 GB of RAM. :)

Hopefully they didn't jack up the requirements for Terran Conflict that much, it looks like it's running on the same engine.

Pirate hater
x2

Post by Pirate hater » Mon, 11. Aug 08, 22:06

paul1290 wrote:
Pirate hater wrote:
X-Warrior B AS wrote:
Go buy a better laptop then.

Power notbooks has some good prices on quite a few laptops that should be well capable of playing X3:
http://powernotebooks.com/index.php3

I'm getting mine with a Core 2 Duo P8400 2.26GHz processor, a Geforce 9600M GT 512MB graphics card, and 2 GB of RAM. :)

Hopefully they didn't jack up the requirements for Terran Conflict that much, it looks like it's running on the same engine.
Good advice. It may be worth waiting for release to find out the specs before buying a new laptop.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Mon, 11. Aug 08, 22:43

ubica wrote:all things considered, the engine probably won't be properly optimised.
Er, why? As far as we know it's pretty much the same engine as X3: Reunion, and there's been plenty of time for it to be optimised in the years since its release!

BugMeister
x4

Post by BugMeister » Tue, 12. Aug 08, 01:56

mufassa wrote:Any word on the system reqs for X3:TC?
see here:
http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=211315

<quote>
Generally I can say that the game will run on medium settings on all
midrange Graphics cards down to the Gf6000 series. Starting with a Gf 8000series card
I would under any circumstances activate 2* or better 4* AA. Like I already said.
It's important that the system memory matches the graphics card.
Too often I see systems with 1GB RAM and a killer graphics card.
That's nonsense. The ressources loaded into the graphics card are generally mirrowed in the system memory.
A 512MB graphics card should at least have 2GB of system memory on it's side.
Although with a 32bit Windows 4 GB of system RAM are only limitedly useful, it is still recommendable regarding the actual prices.
Besides that X3TC, of course, runs stable on WINXP 64bit or Vista64bit systems too.
(It can however only use up to 2 GB because the game is a 32bit EXE).
The newest graphics cards (we just got a 4850 ) then can start with 1920*1280 with 4*AA or higher).
On such systems the limiting factor is the CPU.

The minimum CPU is a P4 with 3 ghz or a dual core with 2,4 ghz.
It's with all of our games: the more the better.
You can do almost everything in our universe, but to do so you need power.
:)
<unquote>

Demotruk
x3tc

Post by Demotruk » Tue, 12. Aug 08, 02:09

So, is there going to be more info in the newsletter?

Not that I'm complaining. I can be sustained on this info for a while.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”