Asteroid Relocation perhaps?

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Reunion.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

Thraxwhirl
x3ap

Asteroid Relocation perhaps?

Post by Thraxwhirl » Wed, 10. Oct 07, 03:43

Hi.

Anyone know if there's a script which allows you to relocate Asteroids from one sector to another?

Perhaps some sort of method whereby you could have a TL with a Transporter Device? When your within range(5km) of an Asteroid, you can choose to "Relocate" it, and the Asteroid vanishes(into your hold), then, when you're where you ultimately want to be, you unpack it like you would a factory...

...or something similar.

Does anyone know if a script that does something along these lines exists?

Nividium

Post by Nividium » Wed, 10. Oct 07, 03:47

Don't know if a script currently exists for that enormous task. But, I could make one easy enough. Why are you going to remodel Savage Spur one Asteroid at a time? :lol:

Pogi
x2

Post by Pogi » Wed, 10. Oct 07, 03:56

Oh I get it...He wants to move some of those monster Nividium astroids from the Unknown Sector elsewhere..You could just put a station on them with Cycrows Nividium Mine script..There is a script floating around the downlads that you can then move your stations with a TL anywhere you want...Cheers
X3..The most fun a man can have...With his clothes on.

Thraxwhirl
x3ap

Post by Thraxwhirl » Wed, 10. Oct 07, 03:58

Lol.

No, but I want to put some Ore Asteroids in Bala Gi's Joy for a complex.

I figure you'd probably need to create a Custom Ware(called "Roid"), whilst in your TL's hold, and store global variables for Resource, Size and Yield, perhaps?

I'm no good at Arrays or Command Plugins I'm afraid, hence not QUITE up to this.

The thought does occur to me that IF it were a Custom Ware, you could very well end up finding them at EqDocks(Trd Docks would be no good 'cos TLs can't dock at them). How fantastic would that be to buy Asteroids? :o

Pogi
x2

Post by Pogi » Wed, 10. Oct 07, 04:15

There are a couple of astroid creation scripts also in the downloads area as well...They both cost a few credits to deploy an astroid (depending on yeld)...But, that can be fixed..can't it... :D ...I think one is called "Create Rock"..I use the other..Can't remember the name now..Works well
X3..The most fun a man can have...With his clothes on.

Thraxwhirl
x3ap

Post by Thraxwhirl » Wed, 10. Oct 07, 04:42

I thought about using that actually, but somehow it seemed a bit unreal just to be able to summon an asteroid out of thin air(not that there's air in space).

I rather preferred the idea of asteroids being something that you(or the AI) transported physically.

I guess, essentially, you could have 3 Custom Wares:

Ore Asteroid, Silicon Asteroid and Nividium Asteroid. To keep it simple, they'd all be type 1(the smallest), so that's one fewer global variable need, as I don't really think you'd notice that a HUGE asteroid has become a tiny one when you deploy it.

To cut down on the global variables further, the "yield" could perhaps be generated randomly upon deployment.

This way you'd need no global variables at all - just 3 custom wares. Each time you deploy a roid, you get the Resource, which is drawn from the Ware ref.(it's a Ore/Silicon/Nividium, and that's denoted by which custom ware it actually is), the type or size(this is always 1), and the Yield(randomly generated).

And as for collecting them in the first place, well, all that would happen there is that the roid in question - the roid in space - disappears, and a Custom Ware Roid(O,S or N) is placed into your TL's hold. You could even choose to sell it at an EqDock. :)

Gammel

Post by Gammel » Wed, 10. Oct 07, 06:49

Just duct tape a jump drive to it. :D
!!! Caution!!!
Signature lost!
Please contact your Admin!

Nividium

Post by Nividium » Wed, 10. Oct 07, 07:22

Ok, I have finished the script. It does not use Global Variables or even Custom Wares. In it's current state, any ship you own can get an asteroid and transport it to another Sector and then drop it. Even a Discovery can relocate the Asteroid. The technology is through Xtreme compression and transporter device beaming the Roid into a "Container", which is small enough to fit into any ship even a Disco. Then when in the new Sector, the "container" is deployed and bursts open to release the encased Asteroid that you picked up earlier. The yeild and mineral type are maintained and will be the same when dropped into the new Sector. Your pickup ship must be within 10km to pick it up and then no closer than 10km when you drop it. Safety first when dealing with Asteroids. I have not included any anti-collision detection in this script, so you will need to be on the ball when you drop it :D I will make a couple of buttons for it and then package the thing up.

Nividium

Post by Nividium » Wed, 10. Oct 07, 11:22

Ok, I have completed the Asteroid Relocator and it is posted on the forum now. Did not know if you wanted your name mentioned or associated with it, because some people (later on) may not appreciate their name being shown as a requestee. But, if you want your name in the main post, let me know, I will be more than happy to say this was your idea Thrax. ok, let me know.

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by Cycrow » Wed, 10. Oct 07, 13:12

it wouldn't be too hard to use custom wares for it, so they appear in the TL's cargo hold.

the main problem would be when you have more than one asteroid, it would be difficult to get the yield for the one your dropping off, althou, u can easily get around it by only allow one asteroid at a time in the TL.

Thraxwhirl
x3ap

Post by Thraxwhirl » Wed, 10. Oct 07, 13:31

Hi, folks.

Thanks ever so much for writing the script, Nividium. I look forward to testing it out. I have a dentist's appointment this afternoon(I'm trembling with fear), so I shan't get to have a go with it until this evening. But I am grateful to you for the work.

Regarding whether or not my name is mentioned, well, I don't really mind one way or the other. I'm certainly not shy about being known as "Thraxwhirl - that crazy dude who wanted to move asteroids about", but then neither am I desperate for any recognition. Recognition, I might add, which I hardly deserve, since it was you, not I, who did the work.

In short, I am happy either way. :)

Cycrow, yes, that's an interesting notion. I hadn't really considered how feasible it would be to limit the number of 'roids you're ferrying about. I guess you'd need some global variables for that. Perhaps an AI which used a variable "asteroids.in.transit", which was set to [TRUE] whenever you picked one up. Thereafter, NO Player-owned TL(even if you had a thousand) could pick one up. If [TRUE] a block is put on ALL asteroid collection anywhere until re-deployment. Three othe global.vars would then store Resource, Yield and Size. That I guess would work.

Then the variable for "asteroid.in.transit" would become [FALSE] when it's unloaded, and the other three be used for determining the re-spawnification of your asteroid.

Of course, you'd need one final variable for the TL itself. Does it exist? If NOT, reset the other vars to [FALSE]. Otherwise, losing that TL would prevent you ever collecting or deploying any asteroids ever again.

Well, all this is just theorising though. Sounds to me like Nividium has done a sterling job in his own personal interpretion of the idea, so I'll give it a test before I come back with any firm reports, requests or suggestions.

Thanks again, Nividium. I look forward to trying this out. :)

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by Cycrow » Wed, 10. Oct 07, 13:41

Thraxwhirl wrote: Cycrow, yes, that's an interesting notion. I hadn't really considered how feasible it would be to limit the number of 'roids you're ferrying about. I guess you'd need some global variables for that. Perhaps an AI which used a variable "asteroids.in.transit", which was set to [TRUE] whenever you picked one up. Thereafter, NO Player-owned TL(even if you had a thousand) could pick one up. If [TRUE] a block is put on ALL asteroid collection anywhere until re-deployment. Three othe global.vars would then store Resource, Yield and Size. That I guess would work.
you dont even need to go that far, there are 2 ways you could do it.

first of all, u need a command to "Pack" the asteroid into the cargo bay.

the first way, you could simply disable the command if the asteroid ware is found in the TL, then enable an "Eject" command for the asteroid

the 2nd way, is to make it a dual command, so you first use it to pack the asteroid, and when theres one in the cargo hold, it turns into an "Eject" command.

then all you need to store is a local varible for the asteroids yield, you dont even need the type, because you could have 3 custom wares, one for each asteroid type

Thraxwhirl
x3ap

Post by Thraxwhirl » Wed, 10. Oct 07, 18:25

Hi again. Back from the dentist's now.
Cycrow wrote: you dont even need to go that far, there are 2 ways you could do it.

first of all, u need a command to "Pack" the asteroid into the cargo bay.

the first way, you could simply disable the command if the asteroid ware is found in the TL, then enable an "Eject" command for the asteroid

the 2nd way, is to make it a dual command, so you first use it to pack the asteroid, and when theres one in the cargo hold, it turns into an "Eject" command.

then all you need to store is a local varible for the asteroids yield, you dont even need the type, because you could have 3 custom wares, one for each asteroid type
Interesting thoughts, Cycrow. I guess really it's up to Nividium to decide whether or not he'd like to try and implement 'em, but speaking for myself, I like yer style. :)

I've had another idea, actually - regarding using these aboard stations. Would it be possible to load one into your SY without it putting the kybosh on ever collecting mere?

For I have a dream, you see. And bear with me here.

You may all know of Balogt's excellent "Privateer Style Mining Base", right? Well, I DL'd it, and I have one ambling about the place. Now it looks great, and it's so cool to have a pseudo-station with defensive weapons...

...but what purpose does it serve? No good in combat - movement 5, no PPCs, very small hangar; and of course, as a trading vessel it's ill-suited because it can only dock at SYs and EqDocks, and has no external clamps for TS/TP docking to ferry any of its wares to customers.

IMHO, it is that lack of external docking clamps that lets it down. It desperately needs AT LEAST one, preferably two - one for buying in resources, and one for selling its products.

But be all that as it may, I am very fond of the ship, and it set me thinking about how I could put it to good use.

And as I began fiddling around with XTM on my PC, I quickly appreciated the need for Nividium(the Ware, not the user, in this particular case), and decided that I would turn the ship into a mobile mine.

Easily done. I wrote an AL Plugin that consumes the ship's E-cells and replaces them with Nividium. A BLATANT BLATANT cheat(at least financially), and an abuse of the game, but I don't care. I just relish the profitssssssssss.

*ahem*

So all that works well. I have a mobile Nividium Mine, which is able to defend itself against fighters and, though slow and cumbersome, capable of using a Gateless Jumpdrive to reach sectors where Nividium is in demand - note, I scripted "client" HQs for the Teladi and Paranid, who'll buy my Nividium gladly.

But the question then arose - what about building more? Now, I use Shovinus' excellent Player-owned Shipyards script, and rattle out TIE Fighters and even Star Destroyers like they're going out of fashion... but to produce another mobile Nividium Mine, it seems to me that the materials needed call for something a bit special.

If you've seen the ship in question, you'll notice that it's basically a huge Asteroid with a Ship kind of strapped on. A rock with jets, a bridge, a docking bay, and some guns. So, logically, you'd need to have an Asteroid(in this case a Nividium one), in order to build the ship INTO it.

So here is my thought:

Would it be feasible, using this relocation script, for you to deposit a Nividium 'roid into the hold of you SY, and then - with a slight alteration to the Player SY script(and in convo with him, I've learnt that Shovinus is pretty relaxed about people customising his scriptset to suit their individual needs) - you could build another Mine, at the expense of 1 Nividium Roid. Admittedly, I haven't discussed THIS matter with him, but back in the days when PoSY first came out, he was very open and helpful about altering things like production costs and build times.

Does this sound feasible?

Personally I think it's quite a nifty idea, if I do say so myself, and if this script can permit that, I'll gladly share my "Mobile Nividium Mines" script with anyone who wants it. Perhaps one of you folks could host it online?

It would HAVE to carry a health warning of course. Ie. Any user DLing it would need to alter the "event" script to match the correct ship. The Mine has a ref. in MY TShips file which clearly isn't going to match up with anyone else's, but apart from that, it's read to roll.

So, in short, is it possible/could it be made possible, that the "Asteroid Relocation" script could allow the user to deposit 'Roids aboard Stations(in particular SYs, and EQdocks) for utilising them in this fashion?

If it all goes well, I may well consider doing similar Plugins for Mobile Ore and Silicon Mines too... if suitable models could be found.

Hey, who'd fancy a Mobile Ore Mine in the shape of the Red Dwarf?

I know I would, if anyone out there has ever been of a mind to build one. ;)

Return to “X³: Reunion - Scripts and Modding”