Factory Complex Calculator: StandAlone v2.0.4.5 18Jun07: now supports 'Ashley's Fabs'

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Deleted User

Factory Complex Calculator: StandAlone v2.0.4.5 18Jun07: now supports 'Ashley's Fabs'

Post by Deleted User » Thu, 21. Dec 06, 20:43

Factory Complex Calculator - Stand-alone

DOWNLOAD:
Download link for installer of : Program + full help doc + dlls (1,350 KBytes):
http://www.Exogenesis.co.uk/FactoryComp ... .0.4.5.exe

This is a stand-alone version of Merroc's 'Complex Calculator' Excel spreadsheet ‘ComplexCalculationsV2.2.xls’
(this standalone utility was originally created for players who don't have Excel)
Link to Merroc's thread :

http://forum2.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=165330

This utility has two purposes:

1 To reproduce most of the functionality of Merroc's Excel spreadsheet as a stand-alone program,
that is : to show the potential inputs and outputs for a given factory complex setup.

2 To simulate what actually happens (in X3) when a complex runs,
that is : to predict the actual dynamics of ware use & production (& profit rate) + it's potential for stalling.
Use of this 2nd feature is optional, you don't necessarily need it to design complexes.

-There is a lot more visible data content in Merroc's spreadsheet, plus asteroid information.
-Some features seen in the spreadsheet are absent, other features have been added (or possibly improved).

-Big thanks to Merroc for working out the equations, and manually collecting the original
-information - without this, I certainly would not have got started.

Things have moved on with the inclusion of ‘Ashley’s XL Fabs mod’, the data is now
calculated from values seen in game-files, and is far more accurate than previous versions.

-Link to older thread where both the spreadsheet & this util were together (now locked):
http://forum2.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=120355

LAST UPDATED 18th Jun 2007 = version 2.0.4.5

version history:
Added column to show TL cargo-size of factories.
Fixed silly low XXL-silicon-mine prices.
Added simulation time edit to sim-dialog (ie can change sim-time if you pause the sim.)

Fixed error with Laser/Shield with wrong type of 'food' requirement, also fixed crash during saving of factory-complex files

Added (switchable) support for 'Ashley's XL Fabs' mod (v2.3+ on it's own, or with the XFP 4.2 mod)
Can now enter 0 as the product/resource price (to allow for 'seperated' complexes).
Can now choose race colours to match ScorpBy's active map utility.

Added an Auto-Fill facility allow automatic filling of all resource factories.

updated for X3 ver. 2.0 and compatabiliy with Merroc's spreadsheet ver. 2.0:
Put Tractor Beam Factories in.
Simplified simulation (more like in-game now, I think).
Column cut+paste compatible with Merroc's spreadsheet ver. 2.0,
(1st 6 columns from spreadsheet <---> 1st 5 columns of this util's grid).
Now installed with an installer program & can be easily uninstalled.
Included required system dlls in the installer (the smaller download below doesn't have them).
(Didn't add support for Ashley's Factory mod - Merroc's spreadsheet does support this)

Original version.

Example dual quantum-tube complex : the below screen shots are horizontal
scroll-positions of a single screen : row 1 in each image is the same row:
Click on an image to get the enlarged version:

[ external image ]

[ external image ]

[ external image ]

Feedback & suggestions / feature requests welcome :)
Last edited by Deleted User on Mon, 18. Jun 07, 21:13, edited 13 times in total.

zergfest90
x3tc

Post by zergfest90 » Fri, 22. Dec 06, 01:19

The only suggestion I have is updating the version number a little higher when you add a really cool feature like the AutoFill. For example, go from 2.0.0.0 to 10.0.0.0. :-)

Great tool! Thanks for writing it!

Vanel
x4

Post by Vanel » Fri, 22. Dec 06, 01:54

I built a complex based on the sim values from the calculator you made. It uses a lot more energy than the calc says it should. I ran the sim set at 20 hours. It said I should have had 3000 energy left per hour. That is way off from the way it actually uses energy. What would make the difference? Here is my complex specs:

1 SPP XL
3 Cattle Ranch L
3 Cahoona Bakery L
6 Crystal Fab M
2 26 yield Silicone Mine L
2 64 yield Silicone Mine L
5 Wheat Farm L
5 Space Fuel Distillery L

All Argon Stations. Thanks :cry:

arcana75
x3tc

Post by arcana75 » Fri, 22. Dec 06, 02:55

Vanel wrote:I built a complex based on the sim values from the calculator you made. It uses a lot more energy than the calc says it should. I ran the sim set at 20 hours. It said I should have had 3000 energy left per hour. That is way off from the way it actually uses energy. What would make the difference? Here is my complex specs:

1 SPP XL
3 Cattle Ranch L
3 Cahoona Bakery L
6 Crystal Fab M
2 26 yield Silicone Mine L
2 64 yield Silicone Mine L
5 Wheat Farm L
5 Space Fuel Distillery L

All Argon Stations. Thanks :cry:
It should be those 2 64-yield mines. The sim could be run on the premise that stock doesn't build up then stall (which will happen in ur complex), meaning excess is sold off immediately, allowing the mines to constantly produce.

That'll account for massive needs for energy.

Vanel
x4

Post by Vanel » Fri, 22. Dec 06, 03:19

I think I may be confused :? . It makes lots of Silicone. It's the energy I have problems with. Or are you saying that when the mines stall then I will have the extra energy I need?

zergfest90
x3tc

Post by zergfest90 » Fri, 22. Dec 06, 03:29

Try this:

1. Create a new Complex
2. Input just the five Space Fuel Distillery L
3. Click 'Auto Fill'
4. For the asteroid yield, input 26 to 26

Then, look at what the program outputs. That will be the exact number and type of factories you need to fully meet the supply requirements for the 5 Space Fuel Distilleries.

The only confusing point is the crystal usage. It will say that you only have 98.3% of the needed crystals. Just ignore that. 5 Crystal Fabs is the right number to supply the SPP XL.

This complex uses quite close to 100% of the energy cells produced.

---

When I input all the factories from your complex, the SPP XL only supplies 72.7% of the necessary energy cells. In other words, you don't have enough energy cells to keep all FOUR of the Silicon Mines producing at 100%. Really, you have just enough for the two 26 yield mines.

arcana75
x3tc

Post by arcana75 » Fri, 22. Dec 06, 03:52

Hi Dave... can I request something?

Under the Buy/Sell/None, could you add a "Self", toggling a "magic supply" from the player? Thus the simulator can be run for complex configurations where certain resources are 0% needed but still run. In other words, if a "% of needed" is 0.0%, I can force it to 100% regardless.

I sometimes create plans based on single sectors, but that sector's supply of eg crystals is taken from my own crystal complex outside the sector: I don't want to "pollute" the calculations for the current sector.

zergfest90
x3tc

Post by zergfest90 » Fri, 22. Dec 06, 04:11

If you build a complex with a SPP XL that needs 5 Crystal Fabs but you will only include 4 in the complex and get the other 20% of your Crystals from a comples out of sector, then you can either leave the Buy/Sell button set to NONE. In this case, the SPP XL only runs at 80%. Or, you can click BUY. Then, it will run at 100% but you incur a $219, 335 cost per hour.

In order to simulate getting those crystals for free from your own fab/complex outside the complex, just set the buy price to zero. Oh... Well, you can't do that in the FCC because it requires you to put in the minimum cost for the resource. If you could *force* that value to be zero, then would that pretty much simulate what you are asking?

Vanel
x4

Post by Vanel » Fri, 22. Dec 06, 04:12

I am building the complex for more than just space fuel. It will have 3 SPP XL eventually. Just wondered why even if I sim for like 5 hours it always says I make more than enough energy by about 1000 units. But ingame I am short about 10k/hour. Thanks

zergfest90
x3tc

Post by zergfest90 » Fri, 22. Dec 06, 04:54

Before you run the simulation, for the Energy Cells resource, set the Buy/Sell to Buy and then look at the number. It should show 31,655.83 energy cells that need to be bought per hour in order to operate the complex at 100%.

If you set that to Sell instead of Buy, it looks like the Simulator will run the complex at the maximum output supported by the energy cells on hand while selling what is leftover. So, yes, it will show that you have 1000 available for sale ever hour. But you are only running the factory at about 73% of its total capacity.

Vanel
x4

Post by Vanel » Fri, 22. Dec 06, 05:58

That was it exactly :D Thanks a bunch. Shows I am 9300 short per hour. Which is what I came up with.

arcana75
x3tc

Post by arcana75 » Fri, 22. Dec 06, 06:40

zergfest90 wrote:If you build a complex with a SPP XL that needs 5 Crystal Fabs but you will only include 4 in the complex and get the other 20% of your Crystals from a comples out of sector, then you can either leave the Buy/Sell button set to NONE. In this case, the SPP XL only runs at 80%. Or, you can click BUY. Then, it will run at 100% but you incur a $219, 335 cost per hour.

In order to simulate getting those crystals for free from your own fab/complex outside the complex, just set the buy price to zero. Oh... Well, you can't do that in the FCC because it requires you to put in the minimum cost for the resource. If you could *force* that value to be zero, then would that pretty much simulate what you are asking?
Can't... the exe doesn't allow me to type in values outside the defined ranges. In fact the exe doesn't allow me to type in anything, since it's not really an Excel. Also, if *any* resource is at 0% the simulation (the one that runs 250hrs) will stall.

I'm trying to simulate a sector's fabs where there's a single SPP-XL fueling a number of fabs, but its entire crystal supply is outside sector. On top of that, the crystal complex's ecell supply is fueled by its own SPPs.

Hence the 1st SPP is supplying 100% of its cell output to my fabs. If I added the crystal fabs into the planner it'd affect the cell output. I *could* add in the 2nd SPP complex in, but then I'd have to add in the 2nd SPP complex's support structure, which clutters up my complex sheet completely... :)

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Fri, 22. Dec 06, 08:59

My first complex stabilizes in the simulation after 800 hours. However, in game I can make it happen slightly sooner. :wink:

Deleted User

Post by Deleted User » Fri, 22. Dec 06, 09:22

Lots of interesting feedback here :)

Haven't got time to look at in detail & reply atm (work beckons),
but I think zergfest90 is on the right track about your complex Vanel.

Be back early afternoon....

cheers

Dave

zergfest90
x3tc

Post by zergfest90 » Fri, 22. Dec 06, 09:44

I created a complex consisting of:

5 Rimes L
5 Wheat L
1 SPP XL

It shows that I have 0% of the needed crystals. But the FCC defaults to "BUY" in the Buy/Sell column. When I run the simulation for 250 hours, it shows that it needed to buy $546,619 worth of crystals per hour. But the Rimes and Wheat L ran at full potential.

If you wanted to simulate an outside source of crystals, you should be able to do that right now except that you would need to subtract out the cost of the crystals.

Right now, the program lets you type in a value in the column immediately to the right of Buy/Sell. But it only lets you type in a value that is between the minimum and the maximum.

If it were possible to set that to zero, then you wouldn't need to subtract out the cost of the crystals you are getting free from the external complex.

I think you just need to make sure the Buy/Sell button is set to Buy for the crystals in order to make the simulation run.

Deleted User

Post by Deleted User » Fri, 22. Dec 06, 17:32

Trying to focus on the screen after significant no. of last day at work drinks : so expect a little cryptnicness ness ness

zergfest90
I'll update to version 20.0 when X4 version 5 comes out, with transdimensional hyper super-fill

Vanel & zergfest90 & arcana75
The sim says Vanel's complex silicon stock reaches max stock after only 15 hrs or so, so energy use has already reduced.
Energy stock should have been 'just making it' till that point and it's not a lot better
after this cos of the '72% ecell required' condition of your complex.
Perhaps the sim is innacurate for this semi-extreme condition, depending on sell/buy etc settings.
zergfest90 - I think your understanding of the sim is better than mine :)

arcana75 & zergfest90
Your right - you can't set 0 (or less than min-price) as the buying price for resources, bit of an oversight,
hadn't really considered external factory loops as part of the complex (the main thrust being to design
self-sufficient complexes) - next version for this then :)

jlehtone:
you can 'make it happen' by manually supplying extra resources ?

dukesatan
x3

Post by dukesatan » Fri, 22. Dec 06, 19:24

Dave

Will the Extra Ashleys factorys be added to the calculator? This script is still supported now and bundled with the extended hub etc by armageddon? (may not be spelt right) I'v looked at the spreadsheet and far prefer the stand alone program, and as i may soon start using some of these larger factories it would be usefull to plan whats needed :)

Thanks.

Duke.

Deleted User

Post by Deleted User » Fri, 22. Dec 06, 21:44

I didn't add this because
1 I though it might confuse new players somewhat
2 It felt a bit too derivative of what Merroc had done

but if there's enough demand I guess it shouldn't be too difficult.

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Sat, 23. Dec 06, 01:08

Dave Toome wrote:jlehtone:
you can 'make it happen' by manually supplying extra resources ?
Precisely. In game I can dump a desirable amount of resources into a complex when I start the 'simulation'. In FCC, the FCC decides the startup state for its 'simulation'. But keep it that way.

arcana75
x3tc

Post by arcana75 » Sat, 23. Dec 06, 01:25

Dave Toome wrote:Your right - you can't set 0 (or less than min-price) as the buying price for resources, bit of an oversight,
hadn't really considered external factory loops as part of the complex (the main thrust being to design
self-sufficient complexes) - next version for this then
Thanks for the consideration! :thumb_up:

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”