Problems with UT

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

bolmy
x3

Problems with UT

Post by bolmy » Thu, 21. Dec 06, 20:34

I have a sector trader up and running, and its now level 9, its got two 25mw shields(split caiman) and a jumpdrive as of 5 minutes ago, but it still wont let me make it a universe trader? why? and what do I need to do to make it a UT?
Needs to find something to do with himself until a suitable laptop is thrown his way.

fiksal
x4

Re: Problems with UT

Post by fiksal » Thu, 21. Dec 06, 20:36

bolmy wrote:I have a sector trader up and running, and its now level 9, its got two 25mw shields(split caiman) and a jumpdrive as of 5 minutes ago, but it still wont let me make it a universe trader? why? and what do I need to do to make it a UT?
you also need Flight Command Software MK1 and MK2
Gimli wrote:Let the Orcs come as thick as summer-moths round a candle!

bolmy
x3

Post by bolmy » Thu, 21. Dec 06, 20:38

Wow! Quick reply, thanks. Does it need a weapon to go with that or not?

Nevermind, just did it...thanks for the help anyway

Actually, do I need to have nav sats everywhere for the UT to jump into other sectors for the best deals or can I just leave it as it is(no sats)?
Needs to find something to do with himself until a suitable laptop is thrown his way.

cswiger
x3tc

Post by cswiger » Thu, 21. Dec 06, 20:52

You don't need to place sats everywhere for a UT to work; on the other hand, they do help you track down good deals, as well as buying stuff like ships remotely, so at least place sats whereever you find a shipyard...
Do you remember Shalebridge Cradle?
Beware! The Cradle *doesn't* forget....

JMCorp
x4

Post by JMCorp » Thu, 21. Dec 06, 20:53

the UT will not go to a sector that is not listed on your universe map. so if you want it to trade in ocean of fantasy you have to get that sector discovered somehow first.

bolmy
x3

Post by bolmy » Thu, 21. Dec 06, 20:56

Ok. Thanks guys, I was contemplating putting nav sats with shipyards but then decided against it because at the time my bank balance wouldnt allow it. And, Ive uncovered 99%(if not all) the universe, i might be missing a couple of unknown sectors, but they arent much use anyway.

zergfest90
x3tc

Post by zergfest90 » Thu, 21. Dec 06, 22:51

The UT's don't need the Nav Sats. But I would still recommend deploying them to every sector as a soon as you can afford it. First, they let you shop around for best buys for manual trading. Second, they show you ships in the scanning range of the satellite including pirates, and killing pirates is a good way of increasing your race reputation.

Once you have multiple UT's, you may find that they are getting attacked quite frequently in some sectors. Over in the scripting forum, look for Zzyn's Satellite Limited UT script. This script lets you name your Nav Sats in such a way that your UT's avoid certain sectors.

Mandrak
x3

Post by Mandrak » Thu, 21. Dec 06, 23:26

zergfest90 wrote: .... Over in the scripting forum, look for Zzyn's Satellite Limited UT script. This script lets you name your Nav Sats in such a way that your UT's avoid certain sectors.

I dont mind my UT's going to the sectors where they got attacked... as long as i have enough EC in my cargo for a quick jump (Wich is 99%)

Since i dont do manual trading (exept when im looking for a piece of an equipment that i need for whatever reason)

Usually im flying around X universe with a moto "If it's red, its dead" [or capped :) ] wile my Traders / Factories do their thing

But i presume that there is ppl who leave their game un attended so those upgraded nav sats come in handy.

Ah, so many possibilitys and playstyles for this game ;) That's why i like it.

To the OP,
It take's time, and more lvl's for your UT's to start going from the sector they lvl'ed up, just leave them do their thing, and soon they will start moving around universe. Higher lvl, further they go. Dont expect them to leave the sector before lvl 12, and when they leave, it will be a sector near by ... (until they lvl up more)

cheers :)
Never take life too seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

DownLiFe

Post by DownLiFe » Thu, 21. Dec 06, 23:33

I'd also take the weapon off of your UT. If I remember correctly from guides i've read. The UT will stay and fight instead of escaping if he has a weapon. I could be wrong. I'm curious as to if this is accurate as well. Someone enlighten me please.

DenYaSis
x2

Post by DenYaSis » Fri, 22. Dec 06, 00:07

I know for certian it did this in X2 as I lost several frieghters this way. They simply turned and engaged in combat instead of maintaining their current path.

I would assume a similar thing would happen in X3. I have a few frieghters that are totally unarmed and they run away/ continue on their flight plans (OOS I should note - haven't seen it in person yet). Although I have a few frieghters that I have given weapons too (and Fight command software so I can set the turret to missle defense). Hasn't run into trouble Yet, so I can't say for sure..

rizzo420
x3

Post by rizzo420 » Fri, 22. Dec 06, 00:09

Yep, I never arm my UTs...they'll try to fight if they're armed. If not, they'll just run.
Split Say AAAAAAAAA!!!

Cargo bay now contains: Elephant.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Fri, 22. Dec 06, 08:33

DenYaSis wrote:I know for certian it did this in X2 as I lost several frieghters this way. They simply turned and engaged in combat instead of maintaining their current path.

I would assume a similar thing would happen in X3.
You shouldn't make assumptions like that. The Universe Trader script *has* been modified since X2 came out, and I am 100% certain that UTs will never "stand and fight" in X3. In fact, I'm fairly sure they wouldn't in X2 either--it was normal factory transports that had a tendency to do this.

bolmy
x3

Post by bolmy » Fri, 22. Dec 06, 10:28

Mandrak wrote:
To the OP,
It take's time, and more lvl's for your UT's to start going from the sector they lvl'ed up, just leave them do their thing, and soon they will start moving around universe. Higher lvl, further they go. Dont expect them to leave the sector before lvl 12, and when they leave, it will be a sector near by ... (until they lvl up more)

cheers :)
Yeah, I was begining to wonder why the trader was just wondering round in home of light, now he's started moving into red light.

And about your "if its red, its dead(or capped)" thing, that is normally how I play, but in a split jag(X2) with GIRE's its not wise to pick on anything bigger than an M4(i can take out M4's with a disco, so why not with a jag?)

Mandrak
x3

Post by Mandrak » Fri, 22. Dec 06, 11:58

Not true ;)

Try to master strafing, avoid their weapons and dont abuse the "trigger",
Here's some advices (it work's for me, try it out) :)

1. Dont hold attack button long!, especially if your missing the target a lot, that way, you will preserve your laser power and last longer in fight's.
Try to use short bursts whenever possible.

2. When you hear that you have incoming rocket, turn and RUN if you cant shoot it down (until rockets get destroyed).

3. Try to stay behind the target ALL the time (if it's not nova, or any other ship with back turret).

4. When fighting against group of ships, attack and run "pull" them (wow termin.. lol) ie, make them chase you (you have a very fast ship after all)
They will come after you, possibly fire a couple of rockets, but just keep running ... you will notice on your map that slower ships (m3, harder to kill) fall behind, there will be few gaps, gap beatween you and persuing m4/m5, and then a BIG gap to M3's.

When you make some distance from m3's, kill persuing m4/m5's, you can easily deal with couple of them, im sure :)

When you deal with them, use salvage insurence and go cap that m3!
If it doesent have a turret its piss easy, just stay behind them, ajust speed and that's it

If it's Nova... well... :twisted: depends what kind of weapon it has... if it's not PSG you have a chance.

Basicly, you want frontal attack, with everything you got (use rocket's that you can collect after killing smaller ships, every little helps at the beggining... that said, dont miss too much! :) (just avoid killing your self by destroying your rocket few meters from you, that can happen if you DONT strafe xD).

5. When fighting Nova, you need to attack from the front (head on), slow down your speed... to arround 100 - 120 (so you have time to make max dmg before you pass(.

You can easily avoid aHEPT fire, cause it's slow, in this case WASTE ALL YOUR LASER ENERGY on every pass, then turn 90 degree (dont get in line of fire of that turret... you will get pwnd) hit tab (max speed) untill your Laser energy gets full again, but, dont go too far away, cause Nova's shield will regenerate too, but not that fast as your lasers. Rinse and repeat... when you dont have much firepower, fight can easily last 5-10 mins (even if your doing everything right).

Nova can be killed in different way too, but that's much harder with your ship, cause you will need to stay in nova's "dead" spot for a long time... and your run dry on Energy very fast, and flying around nova in close range is not a good thing.

6. Strafe a lot

7. Strafe some more

If your finding hard to do this, try to cap Pirate Buster's (Raiders if Possible, cause they are IMBA)

With a good 'quiped Buster raider, you can pwn Nova's easy (if you strafe ofc).

Anyway, you will see how easy it is when you learn to Strafe and shoot properly :)

Hope that helps... im sure i forgot to mention something ;)

P.S.
Did i mention strafe?? :)

God speed, and happy hunting!

P.P.S.

Avoid Khaak untill you get better ship

Cheers!

Sorry for my bad english btw

edit:

I saw that your playing x2 after i finished typing!!!! :evil: But you can still use same tactics, only thing is, capping / killing in x2 is much easier... you can cap Boymans with one hand xD ... or something like that (forgot the name, was long a go when i played x2)

It's that Pirate ship with 4 thingies (4 gun platforms.. dont know how it's called... my poor english) that look like tanticle's, best capping ship EVER!

Also, devote your time on capping KM3 in x2... i enjoyed it soooooooooo much

and than IMBA Ospray with gunnery crew, or IMBA fast Dragon ....

Now you made me wanna play x2 instead of x3 :cry:

edit2:

http://forum2.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=44104
Use this like a bible xD if you havent seen that already, i know it helped me a lot when i started to play x2
Never take life too seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”