[MOD]: Increased Visibility v202 (23/5/2007)

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Reunion.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

arcana75
x3tc

[MOD]: Increased Visibility v202 (23/5/2007)

Post by arcana75 » Mon, 20. Nov 06, 15:10

Simple mod to extend sector visibility from 50KM and out. I didn't see a ready "nofog" mod for v2.0.2 out there so I made one and thought I'd share it... I merely based it on my 1.4.3 nofog mod method: increasing the fade in start and stop values.

Surprisingly alot of the v2.0.2 TBackgrounds.txt entries have ranges 50KM or more, one had a staggering 400KM! This mod does not remove the clouds, merely the "ghost" objects at appear out of nowhere in some sectors...

http://sites.google.com/site/arcana75/x3-mods-scripts

23/5/2007
- Added a super 400KM version, for ppl with powerful PCs.

24/11/2006
- Fixed missing 0 for some sectors, causing invisible stations and ships.
- Tweaked the values to be more selective instead of carte blanche, ie for each version if the sector values are greater, they are not modified, eg if a sector's original values are 40-45KM they aren't touched in the 30KM version but are in the 50KM version.

22/11/2006
- Initial release. 30-40KM, 40-50KM and 50-60KM versions. Blanket edit of most sectors to be these values.

Installs as a fake patch. Personally I've found that while 50KM is nice to look at, it takes a hit during combat, eg Xenon Invasions. 30KM's just nice for me, but big objects like asteroids will "ghost in" in the 30KM version.
Last edited by arcana75 on Wed, 7. Sep 11, 15:22, edited 11 times in total.

Fendalis
x3

Post by Fendalis » Mon, 20. Nov 06, 18:25

Seems to work. I jumped to Mists of Elysium where before I couldn't see a station I had targeted...now I can see it when its targeted and zoom out as far as possible and still see it. The cloudy bits are still there, but it seems considerable less like flying through pea-soup....purple pea-soup in that sector. Haven't tried most others, but so far it looks good. Nice work.
Welcome to Rev-Co
http://rev-co.net

"If something seems too good to be true it's better to shoot it just in case."

bob hope
x3

Post by bob hope » Tue, 21. Nov 06, 02:28

let me get everything else working in my game properly then i think i will be a grabbing this little wonder of science, no more wondering if theres mini rocks in the sector that i am going to fly into lol :D
About the name - i was lost for a name on the forum and looking round, then a Bob Hope film came on, and i thought "that will do nicely"

i was born and raised argumentative i dont mean to offend ...... sorry

BoFu
x2

Post by BoFu » Wed, 22. Nov 06, 23:02

Hi arcana75, I've got a problem with south-est paranid sectors ('Cardinal's Domain' for example): there aren't the graphic models for stations and ships, even mine... but when ecliptic projector is turned on, the blue railings are occulted by the phantom nose of my ship...
do not know if it occures in others sectors like 'Queen's space' but all is normal in 'Mysts of Elysium'
Help :!:

Sorry for my english, I'm a french user

BoFu

Computertech

Post by Computertech » Thu, 23. Nov 06, 00:27

Nice. Thanks for making different versions of this. Like the use of this thing with out too much of a performance hit. good job.

arcana75
x3tc

Post by arcana75 » Thu, 23. Nov 06, 03:28

BoFu wrote:Hi arcana75, I've got a problem with south-est paranid sectors ('Cardinal's Domain' for example): there aren't the graphic models for stations and ships, even mine... but when ecliptic projector is turned on, the blue railings are occulted by the phantom nose of my ship...
do not know if it occures in others sectors like 'Queen's space' but all is normal in 'Mysts of Elysium'
Help :!:
It's very unlikely that a TBackgrounds.txt mod will affect models. Maybe those objects are too far away? But that doesn't explain your missing ship nose... Maybe another mod is conflicting or you didn't install it properly?
Last edited by arcana75 on Thu, 23. Nov 06, 03:29, edited 1 time in total.

arcana75
x3tc

Post by arcana75 » Thu, 23. Nov 06, 03:29

Computertech wrote:Nice. Thanks for making different versions of this. Like the use of this thing with out too much of a performance hit. good job.
If I could make a dynamically-changing mod, I would... switch to 50KM when flying and 30KM when fighting... but I don't think it's possible :cry:

BoFu
x2

Post by BoFu » Thu, 23. Nov 06, 19:35

Hey !! The minimal HUD mod and the CreaTive SWFX Beta were 'properly' installed when i note these graphic bug, they work fine together without the increased visibility mod, I've installed it the same way as others and the real problem is that it doesn't work in all sectors.
Will have a try without HUD or/and Creative SWFX...

I'm the only one with these problem ??!! :(

Edit : It's not a problem of compatibility. I've installed the increased visibility mod like a “fakepatch”:
I rename the mod into the next higher Cat number (cat file and dat file) and then i insert the two files in the X ³ Reunion - directory.

Some screenshots in Cardinal's domain :
http://img234.imageshack.us/img234/3007 ... alhdk3.jpg
http://img128.imageshack.us/img128/6327 ... easll0.jpg

arcana75
x3tc

Post by arcana75 » Fri, 24. Nov 06, 00:25

EDIT: Crud one of the values was missing a 0! I'm so sorry! :oops:

Note to self, always use doubleshadow's editor to confirm the values...

Give me 2 hours while I transit to work, please! :shock:

On a side note, that's an interesting side effect :D

arcana75
x3tc

Post by arcana75 » Fri, 24. Nov 06, 02:16

OK fixed! Thanks BoFu for your patience! :oops:

BTW in case u're wondering, this bug won't break anything, just install the new version over it.

BoFu
x2

Post by BoFu » Fri, 24. Nov 06, 13:11

Thx Arcana75 !! works fine now ; thx for your quick help :)

BoFu

Parazac
x4

Post by Parazac » Fri, 24. Nov 06, 13:59

30KM version
40KM version
50KM version

which of those is close to the default view distance for the game?

bob hope
x3

Post by bob hope » Fri, 24. Nov 06, 15:45

there is one small problem i had but nothing too major so far, i am using the 40km version, and when doing the plot the city did not exist while it was the fly round like a nutter scene.

just thought you might like the heads up on that
About the name - i was lost for a name on the forum and looking round, then a Bob Hope film came on, and i thought "that will do nicely"

arcana75
x3tc

Post by arcana75 » Fri, 24. Nov 06, 22:57

Parazac wrote:30KM version
40KM version
50KM version

which of those is close to the default view distance for the game?
Hard to say cuz there are only about 37 settings for over a hundred sectors, so some settings are reused and I have never checked which sectors used which settings. What I did see was that the values 50-60KM were the most repeated. But then again, there were sectors with 500m and 400KM distances, so what is default :)
bob hope wrote:there is one small problem i had but nothing too major so far, i am using the 40km version, and when doing the plot the city did not exist while it was the fly round like a nutter scene.

just thought you might like the heads up on that
Hmmm, I've never tested it with the plot, but it's quite likely the tweaked values could mess up that particular mission. I haven't tested it myself so I'll just make a note of it. A quickie tho, did you try using the 24/11/2006 version or were u already?

Afterburnerz
x3

Post by Afterburnerz » Sat, 25. Nov 06, 02:54

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

You're Increased Visibility 30 and No Civilians and Taxis scripts have improved the game tremendously.
The constant pauses while in-flight have been reduced dramatically.

bob hope
x3

Post by bob hope » Sun, 26. Nov 06, 11:10

i am using the latest version, but now i have also found that cardinals domain is totally invisible, and also the flying the spy drone mission has the whole thing invisible too.

i will check once more that i have the current version though

EDIT yup i have the latest version, ill just have to switch it off to do the plot i think

arcana75
x3tc

Post by arcana75 » Sun, 26. Nov 06, 13:04

bob hope wrote:i am using the latest version, but now i have also found that cardinals domain is totally invisible, and also the flying the spy drone mission has the whole thing invisible too.

i will check once more that i have the current version though

EDIT yup i have the latest version, ill just have to switch it off to do the plot i think
Did u check the version from the Script Manager? I can't get the update to work, maybe you should try to download again and reinstall? BoFu had the same problem and I thought I fixed it :oops:

I'll fire it up when I get the chance and get back to u.

bob hope
x3

Post by bob hope » Sun, 26. Nov 06, 13:12

i checked my version via the download itself, the file is names V2 and the file it wanted to download is the same file.

easy enough check :P

ill disable this till i have the plot donw, i dont go into many foggy sectors really unless its for ddrs missions

arcana75
x3tc

Post by arcana75 » Sun, 26. Nov 06, 13:26

Sorry bob, there IS a new version. The filenames are identical, but the dates aren't. The new version's date is 24/11/2006.

Just download and install over it.

Oh and don't use the script updater, I can't seem to get that to work.

Return to “X³: Reunion - Scripts and Modding”