Jaga's X3 Universe Maps (v1.3) - Updated: October 3rd, 2006

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Jaga_Telesin
x4

Jaga's X3 Universe Maps (v1.3) - Updated: October 3rd, 2006

Post by Jaga_Telesin » Sat, 23. Sep 06, 23:33

[ external image ]

UPDATED - October 3rd, 2006

Hi all,

Having done maps for other online and single-player games over the last 15 or so years, I decided I'd give it a go for X3: Reunion.

The maps I've made come in different sizes and resolutions, are easy on the eyes in terms of color, and print well even on a single sheet of paper. They follow the color scheme from the original XFP map, which I found very understandable and easy to remember. Sector gates are included in a special version of the map, and impassable borders are marked on all versions. Currently only PDF versions are available, so make sure you get yourself a copy of Acrobat Reader if you don't already have it!

There are two map types: a "spoiler version" which has icons marking all stations (Equipment Docks, Shipyards, Temples, Pirate Bases, Special Facilities, and the Terracorp HQ). The other is a "non-spoiler version", which has everything hidden, so that the fun of exploration and challenge of remembering (or tracking it yourself) is still there. I will be trying to keep both map types updated with corrections and any new bonus pack info that might be released.

If anyone would like to do translations of text on the maps, I'd be glad to do different language versions, just send me a PM so we can talk. Additionally I have spoken with other package teams regarding producing custom universe maps, so if I didn't contact you and you'd like one for your team project, let me know via PM.

X3 Universe Map
(Non-Spoiler Version)
X3 Universe Map
(Spoiler Version w/Icons) Feedback on these, suggestions for improvements, or future additions and changes are always welcome.

Version History

Last edited by Jaga_Telesin on Fri, 13. Oct 06, 09:25, edited 6 times in total.

A5PECT
x4

Post by A5PECT » Sun, 24. Sep 06, 00:09

Well, it has the same content as most of the other maps already on the forums, but it's size and format make it much easier too look at. It also looks great when printed. Good job.

But I would've liked to see a differenciation in border security sectors and core security sectors, like in a simple change of the sector's shade.
Admitting you have a problem is the first step in figuring out how to make it worse.

Jaga_Telesin
x4

Post by Jaga_Telesin » Sun, 24. Sep 06, 01:19

KloHunt3r wrote:...It also looks great when printed. Good job.

But I would've liked to see a differenciation in border security sectors and core security sectors, like in a simple change of the sector's shade.
Thanks for the comment. ;)

Since the original X3 universe hasn't changed, there's little more that could be added that brings value to the map, outside of making it clearer and more visually appealing, which was one of my main goals. If you think of additional information that would benefit it, I'm all ears.

I initially tried what another map had, which was underlining the sector text. That was okay, but not good - it made the map text too busy and cluttered. I might be able to do some other twist on sector security to make it more evident, but I'll have to think about it for a while. A shade change in the color would be slightly confusing when you looked at the overall map trying to judge a race's areas, in my opinion. I'll keep coloring the same and ponder over a different solution.

Jaga_Telesin
x4

Post by Jaga_Telesin » Tue, 3. Oct 06, 22:08

A new version of the maps, including new stuff!
  • Now both Spoiler and Non-Spoiler versions are available.
  • Versions of the maps with and without gate connectors visible, for clean and uncluttered viewing.
  • Core Sectors changed to be easily identifiable by a special icon.
  • Map qualities reduced to two for easier management and updating.
  • Map icons on spoiler versions have standard locations in sector square, for easy recognition.
  • Eight standard universe maps in all covering all needs!
Again, feedback is always welcome. And if an Administrator or Moderator would like to link to this thread in the Guides Sticky it would be great.

Renegade2u

Post by Renegade2u » Thu, 5. Oct 06, 08:01

When I click on any of the links I get "This viewer cannot decrypt this document". I have the lastest version of AR. Let me know if there is somewhere else I can download the map. Thank you.

Jaga_Telesin
x4

Post by Jaga_Telesin » Thu, 5. Oct 06, 18:45

Renegade2u wrote:When I click on any of the links I get "This viewer cannot decrypt this document". I have the lastest version of AR. Let me know if there is somewhere else I can download the map. Thank you.
If your browser is having issues with the PDF, try right-clicking the link and use "Save As.." to save it to your hard disk. Then try opening it. I have yet to hear of anyone else with issues viewing the documents, so it's probably just a browser/Acrobat quirk. When you open a PDF with the browser, it uses a different part of Acrobat Reader, as opposed to opening a file on your system.

Additionally, I have used Adobe's password protection on the PDFs to ensure they aren't changed without my approval. So if you aren't using a standard Acrobat Reader v6 or v7 program, that also might account for your problem. Try the right click download first though.

iniochos
x4

Post by iniochos » Wed, 25. Oct 06, 09:22

Is it possible to a have "spoiler" map with the hidden ships appeared as an icon ? :oops: :roll:

Jaga_Telesin
x4

Post by Jaga_Telesin » Wed, 25. Oct 06, 18:03

iniochos wrote:Is it possible to a have "spoiler" map with the hidden ships appeared as an icon ? :oops: :roll:
It could be possible, except for a few things:
  1. My CPU/Motherboard died, still waiting on replacements.
  2. I don't have access to all the derelict ship info in the vanilla game.
  3. I'm not sure that I want to do an entirely separate spoiler version *just* for derelicts. Half the fun is searching for and finding them.
I'll be re-visiting the map situation soon as I'm up and running again. Running on a P3-450 just to browse the web is a pain and a half. ;)

wotano

Post by wotano » Thu, 26. Oct 06, 16:38

great map, thanks, it's my new wallpaper ;)
Steam Powered :)
[ external image ]

Steve J.
x3

Post by Steve J. » Thu, 26. Oct 06, 22:22

Nicely done!

A couple of comments:
1) doesn't the gate from Interworlds to Sacred Relic enter from the East?

2)
Spoiler
Show
Black Hole Sun has a special facility.
Next time I need to print a map, this is the one to print. Thanks for your work on it!

Jaga_Telesin
x4

Post by Jaga_Telesin » Fri, 27. Oct 06, 01:34

Steve J. wrote:Nicely done!

A couple of comments:

2)
Spoiler
Show
Black Hole Sun has a special facility.
Next time I need to print a map, this is the one to print. Thanks for your work on it!
  1. Nope, it's a north end gate. I know because I've flown it, and because another mod I am using (XFP) has a gate on the east to a new sector.
  2. I'll see if I can verify it and add it to the next version. Thanks!

softweir
xr

Post by softweir » Fri, 27. Oct 06, 03:09

Very nice maps! Very clear, easy to read, very good to print. :thumb_up: :thumb_up:

Just one niggle - you put the "spoiler icon" legend on the no-icons versions, as well as on the with-icons versions. Slightly puzzling for just a moment, and rather redundant as there are no icons to explain!
My new fave game (while waiting for Rebirth) - Kerbal Space Program

Jaga_Telesin
x4

Post by Jaga_Telesin » Fri, 27. Oct 06, 06:21

softweir wrote:Very nice maps! Very clear, easy to read, very good to print. :thumb_up: :thumb_up:

Just one niggle - you put the "spoiler icon" legend on the no-icons versions, as well as on the with-icons versions. Slightly puzzling for just a moment, and rather redundant as there are no icons to explain!
Thanks for the kudos!

And yes, I left the legend icons there for a reason - many people print multi-page (poster size) maps, and might want to draw in the icons themselves. That way they have a legend for it, and won't feel like they are cheating because they do all the footwork themselves. Plus it's easier on me - I simply hide/unhide the spoiler info to create the separate versions. ;)

iniochos
x4

Post by iniochos » Fri, 27. Oct 06, 06:54

Jaga_Telesin wrote:
iniochos wrote:Is it possible to a have "spoiler" map with the hidden ships appeared as an icon ? :oops: :roll:
It could be possible, except for a few things:
  1. My CPU/Motherboard died, still waiting on replacements.
  2. I don't have access to all the derelict ship info in the vanilla game.
  3. I'm not sure that I want to do an entirely separate spoiler version *just* for derelicts. Half the fun is searching for and finding them.
I'll be re-visiting the map situation soon as I'm up and running again. Running on a P3-450 just to browse the web is a pain and a half. ;)
Sorry about your PC, :(
I dont mind if you dont want to make a new version. As you said "Half the fun is searching for and finding them" and i agree. 8)

Steve J.
x3

Post by Steve J. » Fri, 27. Oct 06, 19:23

Jaga_Telesin wrote:
Steve J. wrote:Nicely done!

A couple of comments:
  1. Nope, it's a north end gate. I know because I've flown it, and because another mod I am using (XFP) has a gate on the east to a new sector.
My question was rhetorical - it IS an East gate in Sacred Relic. The mod must rearrange the gates. I just flew there and checked, and I have an unmodified game.

Thanks again for the best looking maps yet.

Jaga_Telesin
x4

Post by Jaga_Telesin » Fri, 27. Oct 06, 19:57

Steve J. wrote:My question was rhetorical - it IS an East gate in Sacred Relic. The mod must rearrange the gates. I just flew there and checked, and I have an unmodified game.

Thanks again for the best looking maps yet.
Good point, I just checked it against another "vanilla" game map and it appears on the east. I'll have to double-check it when my rig is back up, and update if necessary.

nekulor
x3tc

Post by nekulor » Sun, 5. Nov 06, 04:56

I think the mod rearranges the gates as far as I can tell. I'll have to take a look.

BugMeister
x4

Post by BugMeister » Wed, 15. Nov 06, 15:00

- smashing map, Jaga..
- great colours!
:x3:
- the whole universe is running in BETA mode - we're working on it.. beep..!! :D :thumb_up:

Dirk-Jan
x4

Post by Dirk-Jan » Thu, 16. Nov 06, 16:25

are there v2.0 maps to be expected in the same style?
X4: Let's do this!
(ASUS Sabertooth X99S; i7 5930@3.5; 24GB RAM; RX 580; playing latest vanilla steam version with Split Vendetta on Win10/64, "the young gun''; mogul/captain)
{playing since X-BTF}

unmarkedhelicopter
x3

Post by unmarkedhelicopter » Thu, 16. Nov 06, 17:35

I agree with Steve J. Sacred Relic to Interworlds IS an EAST Gate.
Great Looking Maps, May I ask how you created them ?
When can we expect Maps v2.0.1 ?

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”