[Bonus Plugin] Station Manager

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Reunion.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

Graxster
x3tc

Post by Graxster » Tue, 17. Oct 06, 10:57

Seems odd to me that both Station Manager and Commercial Agent were included in the Bonus pack, since they seem to do the exact same thing, with the exception that Commercial Agents will supposedly use jump drives. Which is better to use, or which should be used? I haven't been turning Station Manager on, because I've been assigning my ships a homebase and selecting "Start commercial representation" (CAgent) from that Trade menu. Don't they both do the exact same thing almost? Oh, also CAgent has that "promotions" thing, where they get better and better, and their titles change.

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Tue, 17. Oct 06, 11:34

There are subtle differences. Less now with 3.1.04.

You pay 20k for the SM, once. Any number of ships. You pay 2400 credits for each hour the CAG ships fly. So after 10 flown hours, SM is cheaper.

CAG must level up. The initial pilot can very little. SM ships can do everything from the word go.

SM had separate jump-range for each ship and only traded in sectors with satellites. CAG did not have those in the beginning.

Graxster
x3tc

Post by Graxster » Tue, 17. Oct 06, 13:36

OK, thought I'd give this a try by itself and see how good it works (using latest patched game with Bonus Pack), I selected "Station Manager Automate" from the Command menu, then "Station Manager Add Ship". All went well and I saw my ship moving to dock with the factory. But as for all those other commands (Set Jumprange, Prohibit Wares, etc), they're nowhere to be found, just add or remove ship. Where can I find those, or is something wrong?

EDIT: Well, answer the above if you can, but I think I'm going to have to go back to using CAG or whatever you call it. I just read the part where if you're using Station Manager, your Traders will only go to sectors where you have assets (so they can see prices from Universe Map or whatever). This is obviously not good for players just starting out with their first factory, as it's impossible to have assets in all the surrounding 9 or so sectors that this factory buys/sells to. On the other hand, using CAG, just before I turned it off, I witnessed my trader use his jumpdrive to hop over 2 sectors over, pick up energy cells at 12cr, jumpdrive back and drop them off. SM may cost less per hour, but it's not very cost efficient.

Ruut
xr

Post by Ruut » Tue, 17. Oct 06, 13:52

You can manage Station manager on each ship individually in using the inactive ship slot.

Station manager work on each sector you have a satellite or a ship.
Station manager is the best at low and high development level.
Best at low, because it cost almost nothing.
Best at high, level because it has no upkeep.

CAG cost is really seen when your fleet is more than 30 TS CAG.

Jakesnake5
x4

Post by Jakesnake5 » Tue, 17. Oct 06, 14:23

The station commands allow adding and removing of ships, even getting a report of the ships the station has (use Add Ship and target the station itself).

To use the Prohibit Ware or change Jumprange, you must use the SHIPS additional command list.
Perfection is in the hands of God, we bags of dirt can only do the best we can©
[ external image ]
Modders are a source of ideas to help the Game Makers improve what they have made. Cherrish them, for they are the fruit of thy labors.©

ZaphodBeeblebrox
x4

Station Manager ships have current order NONE

Post by ZaphodBeeblebrox » Wed, 18. Oct 06, 00:31

Is this normal behaviour for this script?

I have recently started a new game, and have included the latest bonus pack and the DDRS mod.

I have 3 stations using the Station Manager, each station has 2 TS ships.

I have noticed that ships have been set to command none and are just floating about in space is this normal? Will they be sent off to do other things?

ta very much ZB

[You should post in the correct thread rather than creating a new one - Cycrow]
It was a woman who drove me to drink... you know I never went back and thanked her.

Don't try to outweird me, three-eyes. I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

Jakesnake5
x4

Post by Jakesnake5 » Wed, 18. Oct 06, 00:51

This behavior is being caused when NPC ships want to dock, and there are not enough spaced with your ships there.

Remember, the games leaves 1 dock for the player. If a NPC want's to dock, this means something is getting booted out to make space if docking would violate that rule.

Also increasing this problem, are the Civilian and Taxi ships wandering around. They'll randomly dock at any station in the sector, even the Players.

Having a complex only mildly releives this problem, by doubling the docking spaces.

And depending on how good the 'buys/sales' are, you'll probably have alot of shoppers for traffic.

I found using the No Civilian mod to help.
[ external image ]
Modders are a source of ideas to help the Game Makers improve what they have made. Cherrish them, for they are the fruit of thy labors.©

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Wed, 18. Oct 06, 08:44

Bonuspack has Station Manager. Station Manager uses Astar. The player is supposedly allowed to edit the Astar weights. But that requires the script editor. Script editor means the ***modified*** tag. And signed script is used to avoid that tag.

Is the "feature" that SM does not check if EQdock actually stocks particular ware when it is selling to that EQdock considered a "bug"? That makes the selling of infinite amount of GPPC automatic, while the vanilla game requires manual interaction. That "feature" was removed from the Commodity Logistics as "unbalancing".

madcaddie
x3

Post by madcaddie » Thu, 19. Oct 06, 08:04

In the next release can you include assigned ships automatically restarted SM everytime you add a station to a complex its incrediably annoying to have to manually tell them to do so.

Jakesnake5
x4

Post by Jakesnake5 » Thu, 19. Oct 06, 14:47

@madcaddi

No, the autorestarting of assigned traders was purposly not part of the system. This was done to prevent problems in case the player wanted to take remote control of assigned ships.

It is why the assigned ships Trade menu gains an extra command after they've lost their command (either from being ejected from dock by other ships, or when adding stations, moved by player, etc..). This action will most likly not change.

@jlehtone

Too many people worry about the 'Modified' tag. It is not intrusive. It only shows up in ONE place, and you have to LOOK for it to find it. Unlike X2, it doesn't show up on the SCREEN once it's enabled.

There is, however something you might try, if you really want ot alter the AStar scripts. I haven't tried this with Signed scripts, and since I don't care if my games are 'modified', I can't say if it'll cause the tag.

Do this:
1) Make a copy of the Scripts folder (just in case)
2) Start a NEW game (Aspiring Explorer is good)
3) Activate the Script Editor
4) Find and alter the AStar the way you want. Save when it asks if you want to save changes
5) Quit game
6) Load a save game.

Check to see if its tagged 'modified'. If it is, then any changed to the AStar scripts will leave you 'modified'. Quit the game, and use the backedup scripts and overwrite the changed ones.

If you don't get tagged as 'modified' then your good to go.

Using the Script Editor does not require you to use a game you don't want to use it in. The above method works, just do not dock or save while using the start your editing in (unless you back up your saves).

Any changes to script affects not just the game you make the changes in, but any game that uses that same game folder.
[ external image ]

Geggo
x3tc

Post by Geggo » Thu, 19. Oct 06, 16:10

Jakesnake5 wrote: Too many people worry about the 'Modified' tag. It is not intrusive. It only shows up in ONE place, and you have to LOOK for it to find it. Unlike X2, it doesn't show up on the SCREEN once it's enabled.
Well consider it as a competition, if others play by different rules you can't compare with them, everyone with no Modified tag can compare their archievents as they can't cheat (atleast not so easy).

for example certain someone at XU Stats lists has managed to get 27BCr company value in 3 days but he has Modified tag whilist the next one has 4.5BCr company value at 25 days.

And if you haven't noticed yet majority want to beat the game without help and THEN add the spice and play again and again and again. (me included)

Graxster
x3tc

Post by Graxster » Thu, 19. Oct 06, 17:13

I need help getting this working. Pretty sure I followed the instructions exactly, and my 2 assigned ships do nothing "waiting for trading opportunity", when my factory is in desperate need of energy cells, and sitting in the middle of 3 SPP's in the same sector.

Here's exactly what I did:

Built a wheat farm in the middle of 3 SPP's. Set buying price of energy cells at 13 (which are readily available at 12 and 13, I checked the price while the ships were doing nothing). Set the selling price. Selected "Station Manager Automate". SM > Add Ship (twice, for 2 super-freighters I had in the sector). They both had their home base set to the wheat farm by SM, and both docked at the wheat farm. I have advanced satellites in the sector with the farm, as well as the surrounding 4 sectors (all connected). I set the jumprange of the station to 2, and also set the jumprange of the ships to 2 under SM > Set Jumprange. Both ships have Trade Command software MK1, as well as the Trading System Extension (the description of SM doesn't say what, if anything, your ships need to be equipped with). I'm also playing with No Civilians .spk (not the Mod), so there's no traffic...and as I said, they're docked at the station idling when the station has 2,508 of 25,000 (only 10% left) energy cells. I had those cells aboard one of the ships prior, and it dropped them off when I added it to SM and it docked. Any ideas why it's not working?

Edit: I also transferred credits to the station, so that's not the problem either.

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Thu, 19. Oct 06, 19:44

Jakesnake5 wrote:Too many people worry about the 'Modified' tag.
As Geggo already said, having the tag proofs nothing, but not having it proofs something. I don't mind having the tag ... later.

Ruut
xr

Post by Ruut » Thu, 19. Oct 06, 20:35

Graxster wrote:I need help getting this working. Pretty sure I followed the instructions exactly, and my 2 assigned ships do nothing "waiting for trading opportunity", when my factory is in desperate need of energy cells, and sitting in the middle of 3 SPP's in the same sector.

Here's exactly what I did:

Built a wheat farm in the middle of 3 SPP's. Set buying price of energy cells at 13 (which are readily available at 12 and 13, I checked the price while the ships were doing nothing). Set the selling price. Selected "Station Manager Automate". SM > Add Ship (twice, for 2 super-freighters I had in the sector). They both had their home base set to the wheat farm by SM, and both docked at the wheat farm. I have advanced satellites in the sector with the farm, as well as the surrounding 4 sectors (all connected). I set the jumprange of the station to 2, and also set the jumprange of the ships to 2 under SM > Set Jumprange. Both ships have Trade Command software MK1, as well as the Trading System Extension (the description of SM doesn't say what, if anything, your ships need to be equipped with). I'm also playing with No Civilians .spk (not the Mod), so there's no traffic...and as I said, they're docked at the station idling when the station has 2,508 of 25,000 (only 10% left) energy cells. I had those cells aboard one of the ships prior, and it dropped them off when I added it to SM and it docked. Any ideas why it's not working?

Edit: I also transferred credits to the station, so that's not the problem either.
Ship under station manager needs to work correctly:
Trade manager MK1 and MK2
Logiciel de gestion Commercial distant
Analyseur de prix d’achat
Analyseur de prix de vente.
Scanner duplex and triplex.

Serial Kicked
x3tc

Post by Serial Kicked » Thu, 19. Oct 06, 20:46

Ruut wrote:Logiciel de gestion Commercial distant
For non french speakers:

- Trading system extension (the remote trading software thingy)
- best buy locator
- best sells locator
- duplex and triplex scanner.
X3:TC/AP Pirate Guild 3 - Yaki Armada 2 - Anarkis Defense System

Anarkis Gaming HQ
Independent Game Development
X3 Scripting and Modding Station

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Thu, 19. Oct 06, 21:10

Ruut wrote:Ship under station manager needs to work correctly:
Trade manager MK1 and MK2
Logiciel de gestion Commercial distant
Why? The documentation does not list any requirements at all. The other trade-related bonuspack scripts do require some of the listed upgrades.

Graxster
x3tc

Post by Graxster » Fri, 20. Oct 06, 01:15

Hence my comment. I read the original post very carefully and didn't see any requirements listed. At any rate, I bought all that stuff and got it to work.....sort of. There's still a problem.

Here's the scenario:

I have a wheat farm in Queen's Space. Started station manager when the factory was almost full of wheat, but almost no energy cells and only 11 credits. SM, logically, sent the pilot to go sell some wheat in order to make money. The problem is that it wanted to send him to the next sector over, Menelaus' Frontier to a Stott Mixery, when right there in Queen's Space there are 2 Plankton Farms with zero Delexian Wheat in them, paying the same price as the Stott Mixery. IMO, it should send to the closest place first, that's offering the highest price. What's up with that. amy ideas?

Edit: On another note, any ideas how I can fire/get rid of the "apprentice" pilot that's in that ship from using CAG? I have the Special Command Software, but i can't find any place to hire/fire pilots. Not sure if he's still charging me for his flying time or not.

OK, weird... I equipped a freighter as stated, and SM worked. Then I assigned a second freighter that didn't have all those things installed, and yet that freighter works just as well as the other...

Ruut
xr

Post by Ruut » Fri, 20. Oct 06, 05:40

Graxster have you try with a very short jump range?

Graxster
x3tc

Post by Graxster » Fri, 20. Oct 06, 07:39

The jumprange is set to 2 sectors. Can't get much shorter than that. :) And all the surrounding sectors have advanced satellites in them. I'm wondering if, for some weird reason, I need one in the same sector as the factory also (although I shouldn't, since the factory itself being there allows you to see prices).

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Fri, 20. Oct 06, 08:11

Graxster wrote:Menelaus' Frontier to a Stott Mixery, when right there in Queen's Space there are 2 Plankton Farms
What is the Scale of those factories?

If the Stott is L and the Farms are M, then the Stott can buy up to 2.5 times more than one Farm. More credits, more profit.

And too many upgrades can be bad too. I added Freight Scanner into CLS1. That is an optional for CLS1 that makes it pick product from the producer that has most at that moment. But if there is only one producer, it has a nasty side-effect: the ship will not refuel for jumps.

Hire/Dismiss Pilot might be as special command on the player ship.

Return to “X³: Reunion - Scripts and Modding”