[Bonus Plugin] Afterburner

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Reunion.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

moggy2
x3ap

[Bonus Plugin] Afterburner

Post by moggy2 » Fri, 13. Oct 06, 17:05

Name: Afterburner
Version: 2.0
Date: 08.10.2006
Scripter: Cycrow
  • Overview:
    This script adds two available upgrades for your ship.
    The MK1 Afterburner: Allows a small ship to travel faster while its activated.
    The Mk2 Afterburner: Allows a capitol class ship (TL/M2/M1) to travel faster while its activated.

The MK1 won't work on the capitol ships, and the MK2 wont work on small class ships.

Using Afterburner:
    To use the afterburner, you must first purchase the upgrade, available from Split Equipment Docks.
    With this installed, you then use an assigned hotkey to turn on and turn off the Afterburner.
    The hotkey must be assigned before you can use it.

Pressing the hotkey once will activate it, and pressing it again will turn it off.

Assigning Hotkey:
    In the controls options, you goto the interface tab, and near the bottom you will find a section called extensions.
    The hotkey for Afterburn will be in this section, just assign a key to it like you would any other control.
    There are 2 hotkeys to assign, manual, and auto afterburner.
    The manual Afterburner you have to manually increase the speed.

Energy Required:
    MK1 Afterburner:
    The Afterburner requires 5 energy cells to start up and 1 every few seconds to keep running.
    The Afterburner will only activate if theres at least 10 energy cells in the cargo hold.
    It will also work with just 1 spacefly, the spacefly will power up the Afterburner as well as maintain it so no additional energy is required.

MK2 Afterburner:
    The MK2 requires 50 energy cells to start up and uses 5 every few seconds to keep running.
    The MK2 will only activate if theres at least 100 energy cells available.
    The MK2 can also use spaceflies, but requires 5 to activate, and doesn't require any additional energy to run.
    • if no energy is available, it will divert your shields energy into the afterburner to use.
    Notes:
    • The Afterburn will not engage if your too close to a station.
    • The Afterburner will deactivate after a certain time of use. It can be reactivated again straight away at the cost of an additional start up energy cells.

Nestan
x3tc

Post by Nestan » Fri, 13. Oct 06, 18:04

hrmm, is this any different than Afterburner 1.32. I dont see any changes or is this just because its an official plugin now? and if it is then is there any reason to uninstall 1.32 so I can install this?

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by Cycrow » Fri, 13. Oct 06, 18:08

there are some very minor changes, but the main difference is that its part of the offical plugins.

the functionality is the same, but u should use one or the other

Nestan
x3tc

Post by Nestan » Fri, 13. Oct 06, 18:15

seriously cycrow, when are you going to go work for egosoft? You can't tell me that they haven't offered you a job already. :)

p.s. keep up the good work

Geggo
x3tc

Post by Geggo » Fri, 13. Oct 06, 20:54

So what kind of speed increase are we talkign about exactly?

barely enough to let the Nova Raider go as fas as 100 year old granny on wheel chair or enough to knock your socks of when yoru flying faster than that pesky M5 your trying to frag with Mamba Raider?

And how significant shield drain is going to be?

what if you have 99 energy in your hold can you still use mk2?

which one is preferred by the script, spaceflys or energy cells?

There, some questions that poped in to my head :P

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by Cycrow » Fri, 13. Oct 06, 21:09

1. A nova raider will go at speeds in excess of 400m/s

2. for Mk1, roughtly 3mj every few seconds

3. No, you need to have at least 100 energy cells for it to work

4. spaceflys will take priority ove energy cells

Geggo
x3tc

Post by Geggo » Sat, 14. Oct 06, 08:27

Sounds good...next thing happening will probably be my python ordering in trasport with energy as I cruised around too long and have no more jump fuel :shock:

heh, a little missfeed in my brains....

what I tried to ask about the 99 energy was that I assumed the afterburner would start if you had no energy but would use shield energy in that case.

so basicly it always requires either energy cells/space flys to START but can then use shield energy if energy cells run out....

I quess it's off to spacefly hunting then, which will be pretty boring hunt as I have seen them only 2 times so far.

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by Cycrow » Sat, 14. Oct 06, 13:47

yes you are correct, it will use the shield, but if you only have 99, then it wont use the energy cells at all.

madcaddie
x3

Post by madcaddie » Sat, 14. Oct 06, 16:00

Is it possible to decrease your manovorability while you are in afterburner? Your should manoever like a brick at the speeds this script lets you go.

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Sat, 14. Oct 06, 16:16

If the script changes the number tunings temporarily, those tunings can as well be rudder tunings, and the amount of change be negative. If.

The suggestion seems logical, unless the guidance thrusters have extra burners too. Do you remember the CD-ROM ads from the time when faster than 4x entered the market?

@Geggo: "This is Boron Customs officer Molo Ma. We have scanned you ship and found samples of endangered species in your ship. Drop your weapons and turn off your engines immediately." :wink:

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by Cycrow » Sat, 14. Oct 06, 16:20

jlehtone wrote:If the script changes the number tunings temporarily, those tunings can as well be rudder tunings, and the amount of change be negative.
that'll only work if the ship actually has rudder tunings installed.
as you cant reduce the rudder below its minimum amount, only increase it.

but what it could do is, temporary remove any tunings while its activated

Geggo
x3tc

Post by Geggo » Sat, 14. Oct 06, 17:33

jlehtone wrote:"This is Boron Customs officer Molo Ma. We have scanned you ship and found samples of endangered species in your ship. Drop your weapons and turn off your engines immediately." :wink:
That would not happend as I fly my combat ships only in unpoliced sectors. (except Raptor but as it's carrier I can dump the illigal wares on carried ships).

Besides that officer might reconsider his idea after I shoot a warning shot with BFAA just short of his ship. (not to mention soil his pants, assuming borons have pants) :twisted:

madcaddie
x3

Post by madcaddie » Sun, 15. Oct 06, 04:38

Cycrow wrote:
jlehtone wrote:If the script changes the number tunings temporarily, those tunings can as well be rudder tunings, and the amount of change be negative.
that'll only work if the ship actually has rudder tunings installed.
as you cant reduce the rudder below its minimum amount, only increase it.

but what it could do is, temporary remove any tunings while its activated
Sounds good to me.

LuxxCapacitor
x3tc

Raptor bugged from Afterburner Mk2 usage

Post by LuxxCapacitor » Sun, 15. Oct 06, 21:06

I figured this should belong in the general X-forum because it is now part of the bonus pack and not a script.

I downloaded the latest update to the bonus pack that allows the purchase of Afterburner upgrades. The idea here is pretty cool in that it allows even capital ships to gain a bit of speed when they need to at the cost of some energy cells.

Here's my deal:

On a raid of Loomanstrats', I jumped in and after a few moments hit the afterburner in a charge for the Pirate Anarchy Port in that sector. The afterburner seemed to work normally in that it sped up my Raptor from 109kms to about 412kms, but the 'target speed' bar was bouncing all over by gauge, and the 'actual speed' numbers were going crazy as well. One moment it would say 15kms, then bounce to 158kms, then back down.

At this point I couldn't even slow down if I wanted to and I was headed straight for the Anarchy Port at over 300kms in a Split Raptor with a ton of momentum. I barely managed to miss it. In the process of freaking out I tried repeatedly to full-stop, reverse, turn on/off the manual and auto-afterburner, manually increase and decrease speeds. Finally I believe it was the toggling of the manual afterburner that brought me to a stop. It must have deactivated something that was stuck.

So there I was about 100 meters from the Port, waving through my window at some of the local pirates in the bar, shooting a hole straight through the center of the base with my Gammas. But my problem wasn't over: My speed was still bouncing irratically from between 1 and 15kms. I tried toggling the manual and auto afterburners again and finally everything seemed to be back to normal.

.....now.... wasn't that a great story? sure. Really that isn't even the reason for my post, though. That seemingly was the time during which my ultimate issue did occur, but I have no clue why or how I could even duplicate it. If I could, would I want to?

What is he talking about?
Well now it appears that this Raptor I'm driving has a maximum speed at 412kms: The stop speed of the Afterburner.
The afterburner isn't running, no energy or shields are being consumed, it even lists the max speed as such in the Ship details. I can even turn on my afterburner and increase my total speed to somewhere in the 700's. I tried jumping to another sector to see if it reset this, but it didn't.

At first this seems cool, and it turns out I've already saved my game progress after I blew me up some pirate scum and collected mass profittssss. But should I keep using this modified ship? It seems awfully unbalancing, but then again it occurred as a result of using an Egosoft endorsed addition to the game. I suppose I could even just spend another 80 million credits on a clean Raptor that only goes 109kms, but that just seems stupid.

My last option would be to revert back to a previous saved game and lose both my wonderful profits, my combat % increase, and the bugged ship. I could then avoid any potential negative side effects of this bug. I mean, what if this has screwed up something bigger than I realise? What if all my ships start getting screwey speeds? What if my head explodes?

What are your opinions on this strange development, forum goers?

moggy2
x3ap

Post by moggy2 » Sun, 15. Oct 06, 21:13

we have a testing forum to test scripts before they're signed. Obviously we could do with more people testing them before we release them. :roll:

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by Cycrow » Sun, 15. Oct 06, 21:22

even so, this was one of the main things that was tested, and i know i could never make it do something like that.

as for the changing of the speed, thats most strange, the afterburner only effectivly increase the max speed of the ship, it doesn't actually adjust the ships current speed. So it would suggest something else is controlling the ships speed, possible a joystick throttle is causing problems with it ?

you can simply fix it by docking at the equipment dock and buying engine tunings, it will display a negative number, and buying them will restore the ship to its normal max speed.

when you was trying to fix it, did you keep pressing the hotkey ? its post u started the afterburner while in the middle of stopping it, ie it hadn't completly stopped when you tryed starting it again causing it to get locked.

if thats the case, then i think it can be fixed, if its anything else however, it will require more testing to find the cause

LuxxCapacitor
x3tc

Post by LuxxCapacitor » Mon, 16. Oct 06, 00:49

As far as I remember, it acted strange the first time I activated it.

Afterwards I tried activating/deactivating quickly in attempt to stop my ship. My regular accelerate and decceleration keys weren't helping. If I tried to manually decrease speed, it would jump back up within seconds. My full-stop (backspace) was completely useless.

Thanks for the tip, though, I'll dock at an equipmet dock and see if it helps get it back to normal.

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by Cycrow » Mon, 16. Oct 06, 00:52

thats very strange behavious, especially as scripts cant actually controll the speed of the ship.

are you using a joystick to play the game ?

LuxxCapacitor
x3tc

Post by LuxxCapacitor » Mon, 16. Oct 06, 00:54

No I don't use a joystick of any sort, just my mouse and keyboard.

Even though I know nothing about X3 scripting, in my opinion it felt like the auto afterburner was the thing that gave me the acceleration problems. Even when I managed to get my ship back under control, I couldn't get a full stop. I kept creeping forward at low speeds until I quickly activated and deactivated the auto afterburner once again.

I hope this helps.

g04tn4d0
x4

Post by g04tn4d0 » Mon, 16. Oct 06, 00:58

Nice work, Cycrow. 8)

Return to “X³: Reunion - Scripts and Modding”