X4 Multiplayer?

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Should X4 have a multiplayer option?

Yes.
51%
No.
45%
Dont know.
4%

Total votes: 137

brianwillis
x3

X4 Multiplayer?

Post by brianwillis » Fri, 6. Oct 06, 00:07

Should X4 have a multiplayer option?
http://www.youtube.com/user/britrb32
My YouTube Channel. Click the Subscribe button to avoid disappointment ;)

silentWitness
x3tc

Post by silentWitness » Fri, 6. Oct 06, 00:29

To quote a bad movie
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Get the Picture yet?

euclid
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by euclid » Fri, 6. Oct 06, 00:38

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Nice one silentWitness !

Cheers Euclid

brianwillis
x3

Post by brianwillis » Fri, 6. Oct 06, 00:38

lol :lol:

brianwillis
x3

Post by brianwillis » Fri, 6. Oct 06, 00:39

silentWitness wrote:To quote a bad movie
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Get the Picture yet?
Any reason?

fiksal
x4

Post by fiksal » Fri, 6. Oct 06, 00:56

silentWitness wrote:To quote a bad movie
To quote a good movie : YESSS!
but thanks for making my IE window stretch

I voted Yes, and I stand by it. However I imagine a fairly different kind of the multiplayer that could work in X3(4), not an MMO.
Gimli wrote:Let the Orcs come as thick as summer-moths round a candle!

TriMagestis
x2

Post by TriMagestis » Fri, 6. Oct 06, 01:11

@SilentWitness

Why No? what does it matter to anyone if there is a Multi-Player component? You don't have to play it...but there are a lot of people that would like to have some sort of real people interaction in their gaming, including myself. And it doesn't have to be a MMOG - but enought to allow like mindeds to connect together, 4-8 would be enough IMO.
Because I Can

brianwillis
x3

Post by brianwillis » Fri, 6. Oct 06, 01:12

I suppose it would depend on the size of the server.

mystikmind2005
x2

Post by mystikmind2005 » Fri, 6. Oct 06, 01:18

I think it is a great idea. Imagine it, being able to draw that disgruntled freind/spouse into the game as well? No more complaints, more game time..... although you guys without companions won't get that, yea so just keep saying 'no'.

Also it provides the possibility of making the missions much harder. That way elite players on their own can have a serious challenge, while the rest can get freinds to come and help out.

Dissadvantage..... i cannot stand those smart pricks you get in the combat arenas who just won't die. Anyone who has played combat arenas before, knows the ones i mean!

I think the best multiplayer format for x4 would copy Battlezone 2's example. Where you have 'comanders' players who runs the economy who are joined by other players who would be wingmen. These wingmen would be reliant on the commander for ships and equipment, in turn they would be responsible for defending the commanders empire.
What intriguing weapons and shields will you use to protect your trade ships and sectors from the Khaak when your not home? unless you can afford capital ships *and luck* its all for nothing, NOTHING! Mwaahhhhahaha
*(amendment for TC since all the good strategy and planning is no longer enough, you also need luck)*

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Fri, 6. Oct 06, 01:18

TriMagestis wrote:what does it matter to anyone if there is a Multi-Player component? You don't have to play it...
Because development time spent on making the game multi-player (and we are talking about a lot of development time here) is time that cannot be spent on other features that other people want.
TriMagestis wrote:And it doesn't have to be a MMOG - but enought to allow like mindeds to connect together, 4-8 would be enough IMO.
It has been explained quite a few times that not only does having "limited" multi-player not make it significantly easier to develop, but it is unlikely to be financially viable since this type of multi-player would not generate enough additional income to cover the cost of its development.

silentWitness
x3tc

Post by silentWitness » Fri, 6. Oct 06, 01:27

fiksal wrote: but thanks for making my IE window stretch
Wow... Didn't know people still use 800x600... :wink:

No because I'd rather have gameplay features... Real features that make the game interesting... if I wanted to interact with people I'd talk with my husband or go outside!!!

Also you're not going to get it... and if you do I will be the first to send a snotty letter to Egosoft asking them why they wasted their time on Multiplayer rather than adding new features...

soRahms
x3

Post by soRahms » Fri, 6. Oct 06, 01:37

Multiplayer in a game like this would be much too hard to add....and to make it fair would be to remove freedoms we have in X3 single player (i.e. if bored, blow shit up)

Serial Kicked
x3tc

Post by Serial Kicked » Fri, 6. Oct 06, 01:58

Definitively no. To know why, just check one or two of the thousands of topics on this particular subject.
X3:TC/AP Pirate Guild 3 - Yaki Armada 2 - Anarkis Defense System

Anarkis Gaming HQ
Independent Game Development
X3 Scripting and Modding Station

Donsja
x3tc

Post by Donsja » Fri, 6. Oct 06, 02:17

voted yes,
since it could be cool. But as CBJ said, it cost more, then it would profit from it.
Too bad though, would be fun :)

TriMagestis
x2

Post by TriMagestis » Fri, 6. Oct 06, 02:26

Firstly @ CBJ

I was actually thinking this thread was about whether or not the buyers of the game wanted Multi-player or not (which would give an indication as to whether or not it should be persued) - not the ability of 'EGO' soft to deliver. I understand fully that it would require a complete re-coding of the game and would take a lot of time and development dollars. But since you have brought this line up - perhaps EGOSOFT needs to start doing some collaboration / deals with some of the other bigger developers to produce a multi-player version. Keeping your head above water is all about market share and with other games like EVE being released, you guys are in danger of being left behind regardless of how loyal your fan base is. Being diverse enough to capture a big enough market share ensures you're own economic viability in the long term.

@silentWitness

Whether or not we are going to get it isn't the point - just because you don't want it doesn't mean others don't - I can write snooty letters to EGOSOFT as well saying the exact opposite - why should I spend more money on their games if they are not going to cater to my needs / wants too? Human interaction can make things interesting simply because of the decision making process of individuals - Just think you and hubby could take over the universe together (and then argue between yourselves about who really owns it!) :P

@Ramiw00t

How does the freedom change? If you want to blow something up because you're bored - go blow it up...just the consequences might be a little more immediate and dramatic! If it was setup in a way that you can't play modded games in multi-mode then the playing field is the same for everyone! :P
Because I Can

brianwillis
x3

Post by brianwillis » Fri, 6. Oct 06, 02:44

Well said TriMagestis.

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by Cycrow » Fri, 6. Oct 06, 03:02

a multiple player game would have to change the way X works, and it wouldn't be X anyone, u couldn't have the freedom u do in the single player game.

plus, the universe would be too small for multiplayer, especially if they can do the same as in the single player, own full fleets of ships, 100s of stations etc. If every players does the same thing, the universe will fill up very fast

brianwillis
x3

Post by brianwillis » Fri, 6. Oct 06, 03:04

Cycrow wrote:a multiple player game would have to change the way X works, and it wouldn't be X anyone, u couldn't have the freedom u do in the single player game.

plus, the universe would be too small for multiplayer, especially if they can do the same as in the single player, own full fleets of ships, 100s of stations etc. If every players does the same thing, the universe will fill up very fast
Then change the prices and allowed total buildings and ships for multiplayer.

TriMagestis
x2

Post by TriMagestis » Fri, 6. Oct 06, 03:38

Hey Cycrow - I think everyone understands it would change the way the game plays at least a little - I also think that everyone is stuck on X-Online and the theory behind it - MMOG. and that's not what we're talking about - besides - if you can't play a modded games in Multi-player it's going to take an awful long time to 'Build' your empire - then you have human nature (we often don't like people getting too big for their boots) and so by nature alone it should keep a number of things in check. Size of peoples empire's and their fleets etc... I agree with you that the universe is too small for a MMOG - but I think it is a good size for a 4 - 8 person game. Personally - I'd be happy to leave my machine running perpetually to allow friends to connect and play as they wanted...There are many ways to skin a cat. Perhaps EGOSOFT could release their source code to the modding community and they could develop something themselves - who knows?? :)
Because I Can

Dead_walker
x3

Post by Dead_walker » Fri, 6. Oct 06, 04:28

Oh would i love this.
I cant see why some of you would not want it. you might say "How would we Play". there are many ways of doing this that can be fun.

1. It can be set up like Simulation mode.

2. A Strategy Death Match( Couple of sectors with a nutral station in the middle to buy upgrades and new ships. kill other ships CPU/PLAYER for $)

3. It can be like a "freelancer" type server. Where you and a couple of friends can build empires to kill eatch other or work together for Mass Geniside.

Who can not be happy with all these ideas. besides its not like your changing the way you play the game. it can be exactly the same as regular X-series games,BUT WITH FRIENDS.
My face!!!

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”