EnglishGermanFrenchRussianPolishItalianSpanish

X4 Multiplayer?
Post new topic This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic

Should X4 have a multiplayer option?
Yes.
51%
 51%  [ 70 ]
No.
44%
 44%  [ 61 ]
Dont know.
4%
 4%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 137

brianwillis

Thank you for registering your game
PostPosted: Fri, 6. Oct 06, 00:07    Post subject: X4 Multiplayer? Reply with quote Print

Should X4 have a multiplayer option?

silentWitness

PostPosted: Fri, 6. Oct 06, 00:29    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

To quote a bad movie
Quote:
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Get the Picture yet?

euclid

PostPosted: Fri, 6. Oct 06, 00:38    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

Rolling on the floor laughing Rolling on the floor laughing Rolling on the floor laughing

Nice one silentWitness !

Cheers Euclid

brianwillis

PostPosted: Fri, 6. Oct 06, 00:38    Post subject: ... Reply with quote Print

lol Laughing

brianwillis

PostPosted: Fri, 6. Oct 06, 00:39    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

silentWitness wrote:
To quote a bad movie
Quote:
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Get the Picture yet?

Any reason?

fiksal

PostPosted: Fri, 6. Oct 06, 00:56    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

silentWitness wrote:
To quote a bad movie

To quote a good movie : YESSS!
but thanks for making my IE window stretch

I voted Yes, and I stand by it. However I imagine a fairly different kind of the multiplayer that could work in X3(4), not an MMO.

TriMagestis

PostPosted: Fri, 6. Oct 06, 01:11    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

@SilentWitness

Why No? what does it matter to anyone if there is a Multi-Player component? You don't have to play it...but there are a lot of people that would like to have some sort of real people interaction in their gaming, including myself. And it doesn't have to be a MMOG - but enought to allow like mindeds to connect together, 4-8 would be enough IMO.

brianwillis

PostPosted: Fri, 6. Oct 06, 01:12    Post subject: ... Reply with quote Print

I suppose it would depend on the size of the server.

mystikmind2005

PostPosted: Fri, 6. Oct 06, 01:18    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

I think it is a great idea. Imagine it, being able to draw that disgruntled freind/spouse into the game as well? No more complaints, more game time..... although you guys without companions won't get that, yea so just keep saying 'no'.

Also it provides the possibility of making the missions much harder. That way elite players on their own can have a serious challenge, while the rest can get freinds to come and help out.

Dissadvantage..... i cannot stand those smart pricks you get in the combat arenas who just won't die. Anyone who has played combat arenas before, knows the ones i mean!

I think the best multiplayer format for x4 would copy Battlezone 2's example. Where you have 'comanders' players who runs the economy who are joined by other players who would be wingmen. These wingmen would be reliant on the commander for ships and equipment, in turn they would be responsible for defending the commanders empire.

What intriguing weapons and shields will you use to protect your trade ships and sectors from the Khaak when your not home? unless you can afford capital ships *and luck* its all for nothing, NOTHING! Mwaahhhhahaha
*(amendment for TC since all the good strategy and planning is no longer enough, you also need luck)*
CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT

PostPosted: Fri, 6. Oct 06, 01:18    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

TriMagestis wrote:
what does it matter to anyone if there is a Multi-Player component? You don't have to play it...

Because development time spent on making the game multi-player (and we are talking about a lot of development time here) is time that cannot be spent on other features that other people want.

TriMagestis wrote:
And it doesn't have to be a MMOG - but enought to allow like mindeds to connect together, 4-8 would be enough IMO.

It has been explained quite a few times that not only does having "limited" multi-player not make it significantly easier to develop, but it is unlikely to be financially viable since this type of multi-player would not generate enough additional income to cover the cost of its development.

silentWitness

PostPosted: Fri, 6. Oct 06, 01:27    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

fiksal wrote:
but thanks for making my IE window stretch

Wow... Didn't know people still use 800x600... Wink

No because I'd rather have gameplay features... Real features that make the game interesting... if I wanted to interact with people I'd talk with my husband or go outside!!!

Also you're not going to get it... and if you do I will be the first to send a snotty letter to Egosoft asking them why they wasted their time on Multiplayer rather than adding new features...

soRahms

PostPosted: Fri, 6. Oct 06, 01:37    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

Multiplayer in a game like this would be much too hard to add....and to make it fair would be to remove freedoms we have in X3 single player (i.e. if bored, blow shit up)

Serial Kicked

PostPosted: Fri, 6. Oct 06, 01:58    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

Definitively no. To know why, just check one or two of the thousands of topics on this particular subject.

Anarkis Gaming HQ
Independent Game Development
X3 Scripting and Modding Station
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Donsja

MEDAL

PostPosted: Fri, 6. Oct 06, 02:17    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

voted yes,
since it could be cool. But as CBJ said, it cost more, then it would profit from it.
Too bad though, would be fun Smile

TriMagestis

PostPosted: Fri, 6. Oct 06, 02:26    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

Firstly @ CBJ

I was actually thinking this thread was about whether or not the buyers of the game wanted Multi-player or not (which would give an indication as to whether or not it should be persued) - not the ability of 'EGO' soft to deliver. I understand fully that it would require a complete re-coding of the game and would take a lot of time and development dollars. But since you have brought this line up - perhaps EGOSOFT needs to start doing some collaboration / deals with some of the other bigger developers to produce a multi-player version. Keeping your head above water is all about market share and with other games like EVE being released, you guys are in danger of being left behind regardless of how loyal your fan base is. Being diverse enough to capture a big enough market share ensures you're own economic viability in the long term.

@silentWitness

Whether or not we are going to get it isn't the point - just because you don't want it doesn't mean others don't - I can write snooty letters to EGOSOFT as well saying the exact opposite - why should I spend more money on their games if they are not going to cater to my needs / wants too? Human interaction can make things interesting simply because of the decision making process of individuals - Just think you and hubby could take over the universe together (and then argue between yourselves about who really owns it!) Razz

@Ramiw00t

How does the freedom change? If you want to blow something up because you're bored - go blow it up...just the consequences might be a little more immediate and dramatic! If it was setup in a way that you can't play modded games in multi-mode then the playing field is the same for everyone! Razz

Post new topic This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next