Submissions for X3 Handbook version 3 invited.

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

unmarkedhelicopter
x3

Post by unmarkedhelicopter » Thu, 7. Sep 06, 11:00

Take your pick of the following :-
Why you should read apricotslice (managing editor) 's manual, and possible uses for the original manual (how to make it softer/more absorbant and put perforations in it)
Tractor Beam Guide (stuff you can tow, stuff you can't, pushing, getting a lock, SETA and speed settings, how to get something to a specific position)
Pro's and Con's of Complexes vs Individual Stations & Traders
Station Placement
Station management screen
Complex management screen (epecially the 'buy intermediate products' - does that mean "I will buy" or "I will let NPC's buy" for example and the pro's and con's of using this)
Ship Guide, I'm sure Roguey won't mind if you give him credit
Weapon Guide, description of uses.
Equipment Guide (SETA, I can't believe the number of people who think this speeds up the game ! instead of slowing your perception of it ! The pro's and con's of using it ! (and how to change the SETA factor))
Laser Towers (the most useless piece of junk in the X Universe apart from the ecliptic projector)
Docking Computer (Why it's a good idea !, until they remove it in X4 (hopefully))
Scanners and the scanner display, how to read it/use it
Software Guide (what everything does/is used for)
Surveying Asteroids, Yields, Mine Sizes (and what that means)
ST & UT Guide (your own is the definitive I believe)
How to use a Jumpdrive and 5 ECells (when in a fighter) to find ANY gate ! (Jump Sector, Move Position)
Brief mention on scripting (what it is, how to activate, where to go for more info) but we should be concentrating on the vanila.
A list of links to Spoiler information (let them choose) e.g. Map, Free Stuff etc.

Example bugs :-
Why can't you use '5' & '6' in an assets management screen
Why there is no laser energy display (if there is, I've not found it !)
ALL the other stuff I've ever seen you discuss in threads (you don't need to rant (like I would) just list them with a suggestion of how it could be better) We should always strive for perfection but realise it's attainment may require a considerable wait !

Well these are the things I wish I'd known when I started the first time ! :wink:

apricotslice
x4

Post by apricotslice » Thu, 7. Sep 06, 11:26

unmarkedhelicopter wrote: Why you should read apricotslice (managing editor) 's manual, and possible uses for the original manual (how to make it softer/more absorbant and put perforations in it)
You mean I should not be using it to prop up a desk leg ? :)
Tractor Beam Guide (stuff you can tow, stuff you can't, pushing, getting a lock, SETA and speed settings, how to get something to a specific position)
There is one already. If its not complete for you, make some suggestions in its thread and the updated version can be included.
Ship Guide, I'm sure Roguey won't mind if you give him credit
Theres a thought. Not sure how practical it is to include though.
Weapon Guide, description of uses.
Partly covered already. Like the missile guide in preparation now, it needs someone to write something new that covers everything.
Laser Towers (the most useless piece of junk in the X Universe
I guess thats why I had 5-600 of them in my last game :)
Software Guide (what everything does/is used for)
Already done. I did it for the first version of the Handbook.
ST & UT Guide (your own is the definitive I believe)
Whats missing from whats already written ?
A list of links to Spoiler information (let them choose) e.g. Map, Free Stuff etc.
Map is in there. Free stuff is in my Starting off in X3 guide.
Why there is no laser energy display (if there is, I've not found it !)
There is. Its a thin bar accross the top of each gun. Almost unseeable, and redundant since they all show the same.
Station Placement
Already done in several guides. The Handbook also has an extra section I never put in a thread here, although I have it on a webpage now on my site.
Pro's and Con's of Complexes vs Individual Stations & Traders
Station management screen
Complex management screen (epecially the 'buy intermediate products' - does that mean "I will buy" or "I will let NPC's buy" for example and the pro's and con's of using this)
Equipment Guide (SETA, I can't believe the number of people who think this speeds up the game ! instead of slowing your perception of it ! The pro's and con's of using it ! (and how to change the SETA factor))
Docking Computer (Why it's a good idea !, until they remove it in X4 (hopefully))
Scanners and the scanner display, how to read it/use it
Surveying Asteroids, Yields, Mine Sizes (and what that means)
How to use a Jumpdrive and 5 ECells (when in a fighter) to find ANY gate ! (Jump Sector, Move Position)
Brief mention on scripting (what it is, how to activate, where to go for more info) but we should be concentrating on the vanila.
Example bugs :-
Why can't you use '5' & '6' in an assets management screen

ALL the other stuff I've ever seen you discuss in threads (you don't need to rant (like I would) just list them with a suggestion of how it could be better) We should always strive for perfection but realise it's attainment may require a considerable wait !

Well these are the things I wish I'd known when I started the first time !
This last lot......seems you have some writing to do :)

If you want, a place you indroduce some questions like this is my "newbies guide, advise from a spacebar" which is currently a work in progress, albeit not making any, at the moment. Theres a lot of stuff that can go in there as short answers to specific questions. I just ahvent had the focus to continue it lately, although the thread is getting ideas on a regular basis.

Log in and suggest some of the questions and fill in any of the answers you can give. The question will come from "the newbie" and you will give the answer. See the existing guide for the format.

Thread is here :

http://circleofatlantis.com/X3forum/viewtopic.php?t=19

apricotslice
x4

Post by apricotslice » Thu, 7. Sep 06, 11:52

Holeoe
x4

Post by Holeoe » Thu, 7. Sep 06, 16:15

You can still add the list though. I can't wait for the new version, the first version is great, can you make it in microsoft word? as well as pdf. I would try and help but I'm useless at making faqs, my words come out all garbled and end saying something I didn't mean.

BugMeister
x4

Post by BugMeister » Fri, 15. Sep 06, 03:19

The printable excel guide showing all key combinations is now available at a new location
( ..since Savefile lost the original during a server upgrade..)

you can now obtain it via direct download from:
http://www.savefile.com/files/71380

This supercedes the previous Savefile link in
apricotslice's [Guide] X3 Handbook v1.1 "First Release" at:
http://forum2.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=130176

Happy hunting!!
:x3:

I'll see if I can convert it to jpg - so you can see what it looks like..
won't be long.. :wink:
- the whole universe is running in BETA mode - we're working on it.. beep..!! :D :thumb_up:

apricotslice
x4

Post by apricotslice » Fri, 15. Sep 06, 04:50

BugMeister
x4

Post by BugMeister » Fri, 15. Sep 06, 05:01

Hi there, back again.. :wink:
- the keyboard layout looks like this..
[ external image ]
(left-click to expand)

- it's a bit blurry in the picture, that's cos of the conversion to .jpg format
via Photodraw, but the actual download is crystal clear..

- and it prints out just fine in Excel..

HINT: (it's often quicker to get things done via the keyboard, especially if you're in a combat situation..!!) :D :thumb_up:
- the whole universe is running in BETA mode - we're working on it.. beep..!! :D :thumb_up:

Jaga_Telesin
x4

Post by Jaga_Telesin » Sat, 23. Sep 06, 23:54

Submission for v2 of Apricot's X3 Handbook: Cheers!

quoick
x3tc

Post by quoick » Thu, 2. Nov 06, 22:02

Hey Apricotslice.

I have indexed the current handbook and created bookmarks so that you can navigate from the TOC page and bookmarks page. Let me know if you want a copy and I'll send it to you.

apricotslice
x4

Post by apricotslice » Fri, 3. Nov 06, 00:15

Yes please :)

apricotslice
x4

Post by apricotslice » Thu, 22. Feb 07, 01:26

Final call for submissions to the version 2 of the X3 Handbook.

I'm suddenly rushing to get this done with limited time. So suggest now, or forever hold you peices :)

No guarentees if anything else is included, but please suggest now so I can review it.

WANTED : Any piece of writing on the Player HQ or other version 2 additions. Doesnt matter how small or big. I am happy to pick a single paragraph out of a big guide, if it has something important to add. Likewise, any single post of help to a version 2 feature, like how to use the HQ, is welcome, please post the url here.

WANTED : A game screen pic of the HQ. Also the M7, and the X3+'s. Pic of towing a ship through a gate.

NavyAICS
x3tc

Post by NavyAICS » Thu, 22. Feb 07, 03:47

teladianium wrote:I've uploaded a first cut of the missile guide to the Work In Progress section of the forum:

http://circleofatlantis.com/X3forum/viewforum.php?f=17

At the moment it is just a brain dump of everything that I could think of so there are still a lot of blanks to be filled in and I will work on this over the next week or two.

If anyone has any comments or suggestions or can help to fill in some of the blanks I will be pleased to add your contribution in and acknowledge you in the credits.

cheers....
I know you wrote this quite some time ago but I just got around to reading it. Very helpful info and should be stickied (unless it is already). Nice job! Look forward to seeing the finished product.
- NavyAICS
TRAMPLE THE WEAK, HURDLE THE DEAD!

NavyAICS
x3tc

Post by NavyAICS » Thu, 22. Feb 07, 03:56

BugMeister wrote:The printable excel guide showing all key combinations is now available at a new location
( ..since Savefile lost the original during a server upgrade..)

you can now obtain it via direct download from:
http://www.savefile.com/files/71380

This supercedes the previous Savefile link in
apricotslice's [Guide] X3 Handbook v1.1 "First Release" at:
http://forum2.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=130176

Happy hunting!!
:x3:

I'll see if I can convert it to jpg - so you can see what it looks like..
won't be long.. :wink:
This just goes to show that you CAN teach an old dog new tricks. For as long as I've been playing this game, I never bothered to check out the quick keys for drones and the like. Thanks for the spreadsheet. I printed it out the second I opened it. Nice work.
-NavyAICS
TRAMPLE THE WEAK, HURDLE THE DEAD!

Terre
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Terre » Thu, 22. Feb 07, 11:19

Hi,

There is a known bug in Commercial Agent, which needs to be listed.

http://forum3.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=170840
Open Rights Group - Is your site being blocked
Electronic Frontier Foundation - Online Censorship
The Linux Foundation - Let’s Encrypt
Check if your Email account has been pwned

apricotslice
x4

Post by apricotslice » Sat, 3. Mar 07, 02:13

Version 2 of the handbook is now released.

mk1-orion
x3tc

Post by mk1-orion » Sat, 3. Mar 07, 02:35

i could write you a lil guide on how to whoop an ass in the mercury :D
[ external image ]

Mercury : for transporting goods to make as much profit as possible - and also good for whoopin some butt :)

apricotslice
x4

Post by apricotslice » Sat, 3. Mar 07, 04:13

be my guest, I didnt think it was possible.

mk1-orion
x3tc

Post by mk1-orion » Sat, 3. Mar 07, 15:21

it'd only be about 1 sentence long... namely... buy lot's of silkworm missiles... shoot...prey... run away !!
[ external image ]

Mercury : for transporting goods to make as much profit as possible - and also good for whoopin some butt :)

apricotslice
x4

Post by apricotslice » Mon, 14. May 07, 02:10

Submissions are now invited for guides and game help to be included in version 3 of the X3 handbook.

This is likely to be the final version of the Handbook. Version 2 was put together in a rush and does miss some stuff, so I thought it time to finish the job.

Some things that will be included in this version include :

The bonus pack.
The big mods.
The best scripts.

So please suggest any guide not yet included you feel is worth including, and any script or mod you feel people should know about that may not be getting any attention because its not on the sticky thread.

Also, if any guide in the Handbook v1-2 has seen a big revision and you think the Handbook should include the new version, please suggest it. The work to re-edit upgraded guides is extensive, so only those that have been substantially redone will be considered for replacement.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”