About X3's Galaxy Editor

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Reunion.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

Augustini
x4

Post by Augustini » Fri, 25. Aug 06, 07:36

Hey nuclear, you should collect all those words of wisdom you've written in this thread and make them as a tutorial!

BlackRazor
x4

Post by BlackRazor » Fri, 25. Aug 06, 09:21

Coridan wrote:Thanks...

Sorry to seem bothersome and noobish, but I'm having some problems.

I have no 05.dat file in my X3 directory. What I do have are Security Catalog files numbered 1-8 and files that, for some reason, my computer recognized as video files also numbered 1-8.

Also, how would I go about extracting the files I need from the 05.dat file?
Those videos are in reality dat files (I suggest you turn on "Show file extensions" in your Explorer settings). To extract files from dat files you need doubleshadow's tools, you can find a link to his homepage in the stickies.
"For the love of the Fish-Queen!"

nuclear_eclipse
x3tc

Post by nuclear_eclipse » Fri, 25. Aug 06, 14:16

augustini wrote:Hey nuclear, you should collect all those words of wisdom you've written in this thread and make them as a tutorial!
It's in the works, in between all my other huge projects...

Coridan

Post by Coridan » Sat, 26. Aug 06, 02:58

BlackRazor wrote:
Coridan wrote:Thanks...

Sorry to seem bothersome and noobish, but I'm having some problems.

I have no 05.dat file in my X3 directory. What I do have are Security Catalog files numbered 1-8 and files that, for some reason, my computer recognized as video files also numbered 1-8.

Also, how would I go about extracting the files I need from the 05.dat file?
Those videos are in reality dat files (I suggest you turn on "Show file extensions" in your Explorer settings). To extract files from dat files you need doubleshadow's tools, you can find a link to his homepage in the stickies.
Alright, I have the tools but I try to add the 05.dat file it says it doesn't exist. So, I figure it says that because my computer still recognizes them as video files.

I've looked around, but I can't find how to change my explorer settings. Could you tell me where to look?

Coridan

Post by Coridan » Sat, 26. Aug 06, 20:48

Ok, it still doesn't work even though I found the option. I can't drag and drop it either.

So... how am I supposed to extract the files with this? :?

Coridan

Post by Coridan » Sun, 27. Aug 06, 05:38

I don't want to have to reduce myself to begging... but I'd really like to be able to figure this out. Can ANYONE help me?

BlackRazor
x4

Post by BlackRazor » Mon, 28. Aug 06, 08:40

Coridan wrote:I don't want to have to reduce myself to begging... but I'd really like to be able to figure this out. Can ANYONE help me?
If you want to extract a file from a dat file you just need Mod Manager by doubleshadow, open the dat file with the program and then click on the file you want to extract and then on extract, no need to change your explorer settings.
"For the love of the Fish-Queen!"

Everyones Antihero
x3

Post by Everyones Antihero » Mon, 28. Aug 06, 14:02

can someone tell me how to activate the galaxy editor in X3, i see lots of stuff on editing it but not activating it.

Ive used the 'thereshallbewings' codeword but i still cant see the opion anywhere.
My Artwork show reel:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5R1J-_Byek
My website, click gallery for art:
http://www.richarddaborn.co.uk

nuclear_eclipse
x3tc

Post by nuclear_eclipse » Mon, 28. Aug 06, 14:20

You *could* check the Script Editor / Galaxy Editor Tutorial Sticky, OR you could simply use 'Makeanapplepiefromscratch' as your player name to activate it permanently. :P

Coridan

Post by Coridan » Mon, 28. Aug 06, 16:40

BlackRazor wrote:
Coridan wrote:I don't want to have to reduce myself to begging... but I'd really like to be able to figure this out. Can ANYONE help me?
If you want to extract a file from a dat file you just need Mod Manager by doubleshadow, open the dat file with the program and then click on the file you want to extract and then on extract, no need to change your explorer settings.
I get an error message when I try to do so. It tells me it cannot open the file because of bad data within it.

Everyones Antihero
x3

Post by Everyones Antihero » Mon, 28. Aug 06, 17:50

nuclear_eclipse wrote:You *could* check the Script Editor / Galaxy Editor Tutorial Sticky, OR you could simply use 'Makeanapplepiefromscratch' as your player name to activate it permanently. :P
now i aint heard of that... :lol: :lol:

you aint taking the p*ss are you?
My Artwork show reel:

Everyones Antihero
x3

Post by Everyones Antihero » Mon, 28. Aug 06, 18:14

Questions:

I'm looking at the sector map.

A blank template with nothing in, half the functions are missing and i cant seem to add stuff or move stuff or anything.

HELP! Im stuck already.

Has anyone got a dirt simple tutorial for idiots 101 like me. cos i want to learn and i aint got a f****** clue?!!!!
My Artwork show reel:

nuclear_eclipse
x3tc

Post by nuclear_eclipse » Mon, 28. Aug 06, 21:08

In my spare time, I'm trying to put one together that will be a sort of walkthrough to the Galaxy Editor, but in the meantime, Northstar created some sort of tutorial for it. Check his site about that.

jackleonfraust
x3

Post by jackleonfraust » Tue, 29. Aug 06, 21:32

um, anything else? more info? anybody?
(yes, a "B" without saying "B")

Coridan

Post by Coridan » Wed, 30. Aug 06, 02:56

Okay, I read northstars guide to help me with creating my personal mod. I have the map file and the two files to make AI in the cat file etc. in the right folders, but whenever I start up the game using my map, nothing I change takes effect except the new systems I added.

I had changed sector discriptions, sector names in the 440001 file (which is in the cat file in the mod folder, as instructed) but none of them are changed in my game. So... what have I done wrong? Have I missed some important step?

nuclear_eclipse
x3tc

Post by nuclear_eclipse » Wed, 30. Aug 06, 03:39

You should include the new sector descriptions in a different language file, and place that inside your mod file.

Coridan

Post by Coridan » Wed, 30. Aug 06, 04:25

Wont that change everything to a different language then?

Also, I don't have to do anything special to activate the mod or anything do I? The files just need to be in the mod folder correct?

nuclear_eclipse
x3tc

Post by nuclear_eclipse » Wed, 30. Aug 06, 14:17

First, creating another language file doesnt meant things will be in a different language - it's just a way to add more text strings (or overwrite existing ones) without having to modify the original file, meaning you only need to include the pieces you're changing. EG. you'd put all your changes strings in a language file named 448900.xml and then use a setup script to load that language file into the game at startup.

Secondly, you need to choose your mod from the X3 splashscreen/options screen before the game starts. Otherwise it won't know to load the mod, since you can only load one mod at a time.

Coridan

Post by Coridan » Thu, 31. Aug 06, 19:04

Okay, I thought you ment a language file already there. :roll:

Everything is working fine now, but I have another question. Whenever I create a sun for one of my new systems it doesn't seem to have any effect on lighting. I move it around, but my ship is still black, like there's nothing even there. I go to an original system in the game and move that sun around and it has an effect of the lighting on my ship and everything else.

Also, I cannot seem to create my sun far out of the sector, it always stays in the middle. That means I can't put it behind planets and such, it just goes right infront of it, which seems pretty stupid since the planet is so close and the sun SHOULD be far away.

nuclear_eclipse
x3tc

Post by nuclear_eclipse » Fri, 1. Sep 06, 03:24

Well, you can only have one sun in a sector, or else everything goes black. And to move the sun from the center, use the numpad +/- keys to change the radius from center.

Return to “X³: Reunion - Scripts and Modding”