About X3's Galaxy Editor

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Reunion.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

Saint-Ashley
x4

Post by Saint-Ashley » Sat, 28. Jan 06, 03:55

The link I gave you will alow you to extract the game files yourself so you can have the original one for what ever patch you curently have.

GoldEagle
x3

Post by GoldEagle » Sun, 29. Jan 06, 05:32

The Text Resource Editor keeps giving me an error every time I save a file. It will not allow me to create new files or add any pages.

"Saving and editing of XML resource files is currently not supported."

What does that mean and how do I fix it?

nuclear_eclipse
x3tc

Post by nuclear_eclipse » Sun, 29. Jan 06, 05:48

Get version 0.0.4 of Doubleshadow's X3 Editor.

GoldEagle
x3

Post by GoldEagle » Sun, 29. Jan 06, 05:55

I wasn't aware that that version was released. I thought the one I had was the newest.

GoldEagle
x3

Post by GoldEagle » Sun, 29. Jan 06, 18:06

I am having a hard time understanding how to change sector names and discriptions. I followed nuke's advice and nothing happened. I did everything step by step.

Do you need to put any arguments?
Why don't the names change automatically after I execute the script? Do I have to restart the game?
Do you need a "x3_" prefix on the map name?

GoldEagle
x3

Post by GoldEagle » Mon, 30. Jan 06, 21:31

Okay I figured out all the problems above. Now all I need to do is export my map. Last remaining questions...

My map is empty, how do I populated with spaceships?
How do I establish trade routes?
How do I make border patrols?

DeadlyDa
x4

Post by DeadlyDa » Mon, 30. Jan 06, 21:40

You will need to create Jobs/JobWings files for your custom map.

See this thread (from the modding resource "sticky" at the top of this forum) http://forum2.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=114176

It's probably a good idea to periodically go through the modding resources thread since it is where the information you need is collected, and new things get added from time to time.

Horizon Beyonder
x3tc

Post by Horizon Beyonder » Sat, 11. Feb 06, 17:05

:evil:
Now, my problem is simple : every time I launch the galaxy editor, it takes me to Argon Prime. How do I get to another sector than this one so I can edit it ?
Planet ideas (with illustrations) : http://www.egosoft.com/x2/forum/viewtopic.php?t=83789
What about black holes : http://www.egosoft.com/x2/forum/viewtopic.php?t=83652
Let's imagine what can be, let's extrapolate what we don't know...

nuclear_eclipse
x3tc

Post by nuclear_eclipse » Sat, 11. Feb 06, 17:11

Horizon Beyonder wrote::evil:
Now, my problem is simple : every time I launch the galaxy editor, it takes me to Argon Prime. How do I get to another sector than this one so I can edit it ?
Use the Number Pad Enter key. It's crucial to using the ingame galaxy editor, and if you go to the Your Ship menu, all the way at the bottom is a cheat menu, and a add/install ware command.

Cheat your ship a jumpdrive (all upgrades works fine), then install a crapload of ecells, and use the jumpdrive. Of note is that the jumpdrive in the galaxy editor costs 60 ecells per jump, no matter the distance. I generally prefer to create a freighter and beam into it, so that I can just cheat the jumpdrive and a LOT more ecells to it, and make life easier. Just don't leave the Nova behind. Any ships sitting in the map at export time that arent the playership gets exported with the map.

Horizon Beyonder
x3tc

Post by Horizon Beyonder » Mon, 13. Feb 06, 16:26

I've created a map by importing objects patch from x3_universe and x3_universe_v13_patch, and editing some sectors ; but when I start the game on my map, there are no AL ships flying around... just stations, asteroïds, my ships and me. How can I add to my map all the AL ship traffic that's in the X3 universe ?

PS: thanks for all your tips and answers, it helps me a lot ! Is there something you don't know about the galaxy editor ??? :P
Planet ideas (with illustrations) : http://www.egosoft.com/x2/forum/viewtopic.php?t=83789
What about black holes : http://www.egosoft.com/x2/forum/viewtopic.php?t=83652
Let's imagine what can be, let's extrapolate what we don't know...

nuclear_eclipse
x3tc

Post by nuclear_eclipse » Mon, 13. Feb 06, 16:30

Extract and copy the Jobs.txt and JobWings.txt files, then rename them Jobs.<galaxy>.txt and JobWings.<galaxy>.txt - replace <galaxy> with your actual galaxy name (case sensitive), and you're set.

Seven05
x3

Post by Seven05 » Mon, 13. Feb 06, 17:38

Here's one for you... last night I "accidentally" got myself to a screen that allowed me to edit the background and update the Tbackgrounds file (from the in-game editor). Now, I can't for the life of me find that screen again, any ideas?

nuclear_eclipse
x3tc

Post by nuclear_eclipse » Mon, 13. Feb 06, 18:03

From the Numpad-Enter menu, go to the far right menu, and towards the bottom is an option for turning on advanced details or somesuch like that. That's what you want to use. And it doesnt actually edit TBackgrounds, it just modifies the background you've chosen just for that specific sector.

Clock_Work
x3ap

Post by Clock_Work » Fri, 19. May 06, 22:54

I saw that in the station list is Julian Hedquarters.What is that? :?:

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by Cycrow » Fri, 19. May 06, 22:58

its a model of the headquaters that was going to be used in the expansion, its not used in the normal game

Coridan

Post by Coridan » Thu, 24. Aug 06, 16:47

Hey, I was wondering if there is an actual guide for this tool yet. Also, I'd like to know how I could add all normal X3 sectors in to my map exactly how they are when you start a new game, as in, populated with stations ships etc. or is this not possible?

nuclear_eclipse
x3tc

Post by nuclear_eclipse » Thu, 24. Aug 06, 20:19

I've never read it or used it, but Northstar supposedly has one. However, I'm in the process of writing one for my Akeela's Beacon website in the near future.

Coridan

Post by Coridan » Thu, 24. Aug 06, 22:05

I'll look forward to reading it.

Would anyone be able to answer my other question?

I know how to add the sectors from original X3, but it's just the sector. No stations, ships, anything.

nuclear_eclipse
x3tc

Post by nuclear_eclipse » Thu, 24. Aug 06, 23:31

In the Debug menu for the galaxy editor (where you craete ships/stations/etc), you can choose to 'import sector' and choose the sector and the map name (x3_universe being the default X3 map). However, if you want the whole X3 universe to build from, you should just grab the x3_universe 1.3 map file from my repository, name it what you want, and start from there. That will give you a base of the stations, asteroids, sectors, gates, etc. To get ships, follow the info about Jobs and JobWings at the top of this page for info on that part.

Cheers

Coridan

Post by Coridan » Fri, 25. Aug 06, 05:41

Thanks...

Sorry to seem bothersome and noobish, but I'm having some problems.

I have no 05.dat file in my X3 directory. What I do have are Security Catalog files numbered 1-8 and files that, for some reason, my computer recognized as video files also numbered 1-8.

Also, how would I go about extracting the files I need from the 05.dat file?

Return to “X³: Reunion - Scripts and Modding”