[Guide] The Newbies Guide, Advise from a SpaceBar.

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

apricotslice
x4

[Guide] The Newbies Guide, Advise from a SpaceBar.

Post by apricotslice » Wed, 23. Aug 06, 01:04

The Newbies Guide, Advise from a SpaceBar.

html version : http://circleofatlantis.com/games/X3/newbie.html

A Newbie Pilot walks into the SpaceBar on the Argon Prime Trading Dock with a glazed look in his eye.

Lost Ark
Ah young pilot, so you come in here looking for a drink? No? Oh... new underwear? Right...

...You obviously have just found out how massive this place really is! EH BARKEEP, A COUPLE OF WHISKEYS! Lemme tell ya, if you think its gonna be easy creds out there... You've got learning to do.

Lemme tell ya this, don't go looking for a goal. Goals are things you make in life, you're not handed them on a plate. Don't expect someone to tell you what to do - that is your job.

Also start small - its ok to have a long term goal, but expecting to be able to fly a Destroyer - let alone own one - within days of your first entry from Planetside is rather foolish to put it at best.

You've got to make a name for yourself for that luxury, and even then you need the money to afford it! No, start small. Your path is something you decide.

Pirates are something you should avoid unless your confident enough to start a fight, or at least smart enough to run from one.

If you must start a fight, make it on small groups. Don't go and attack one of those stolen Nova's unless you know what you are doing, and keep your wits about you.

Needless to say its easier to stay safe. From here in Argon Prime, you can make it to Boron and Paranid space in relative safety - beware of the Paranid, they are a cocky race that should be taken down a peg or two.

If you stay legit, Argon and Boron space gives enough opputunities to give a young pilot such as you a good start in life. Remeber, the Argon hate the Paranid, and the Boron hate the Split, so attacking Split ships in boron space is a sure fire way of increasing your rep amongst the Fish, same with taking out those Paranid git's here in the Argon Federation.

I know what you thought when you first left that shipyard - "Christ I'm lost... now where?"

Problem solved, go and explore the Argon sectors, get a bearing on your surroundings - don't go any further east than Elena's Fortune, and even when your there its best to turn back west and head north via the Graveyard (Presidents End if you don't know).

This avoids Pirate space and several problems.

Dont go any further south than Cloudbase South West to begin with either, Paranid space is lying past the south gate there and you will miss the hospitality the Argon and the Goner Temple that is there supply you...

...Boron space, at least that north of here, is safe for trade.

Ah, money, you can't get anywhere in the Universe without it! Best way to earn money legit is to capture pirate ships and sell them off. Of course, your just starting out, so I'd practice on a paranid freighter or two until you get the idea - you can even keep one for your personal trades.

That would be a good plan.

If you turn to more, shall we say... shady routes, there is a Distillery in Herrons Nebula (just one gate north of here!) that sells to the local Trading Station. You can make a good bit of money doing that trade run, but avoid being scanned by the Argon Police, else you will either loose your profit... or your life. They are not picky.

Whatever you do, to begin with making money is a pain in the bastu. But the best way I find to start making it big comes when you can afford your first Frieghter. If you don't want to wait... Demeters are lovely ships...

Once you have your TS class frieghter, start doing trade routes - sillicon always sells well in Argon space, as does BoGas, which also sells extremely well with the Fish. Ok, the Boron look more like squids but Fish does them justice.

Once you have enough money in the bank, try entering the world of Mining to begin with, word is there are some mighty fine 'roids in orebelt that are well worth using. Of course these take money to set up, but set it to buy energy high, sell sillicon low with a small profit margin and it'll produce long enough for you to get some more ships to buy and sell for it.

Also don't forget to transfer funds, else it'll be nothing except a 200 megaton Paperweight.

Now, I'm out of whiskey, and I aint buying seconds, I've got an Empire to run.

Apricotslice
G’Day mate ! Smile

Correct me if I’m wrong, but you look like someone who’s just finished a few rounds in a simulator and been thrust straight into the cockpit of a fighter and been given orders to go engage the enemy. And you cant even figure out where the good guys are ?

Am I right ?

And so here you are in this bar getting a bracer before rushing off to put your life on the line.

Am I right or am I right ? I knew it, you have greenhorn written all over your face. Here’s a towel mate, wipe it off before anyone else sees it Smile

Well, you are lucky you met me. I’m full of it, and you need it. Information mate, what else did you think I meant ? Sheesh. Working for the Apricot Mapping Service, I’ve been everywhere man, been there and got the t-shirt.

So, you just got orders from god-high Ban Danna himself.

Ok, first thing to do is let em wait.

If you havent upgraded your software yet, theres an upgrade to 1.4 available. Just register here, download and install.

You have a Mercury freighter sitting out in space doing nothing except being vulnerable. Park it. For mine, the Argon Prime Equipment Dock or Shipyard are the safest for now. But keep in mind that stations have a habit of disappearing these days taking your ships with them. I’m not sure you noticed, buts its not a nice place out there these days. So park it somewhere safe.

Hey, I’m not here to tell you how to pilot your ship, pal. There are some things you need to work out for yourself.

Next, park your Buster at the Equipment dock, and use some of those credits they gave you up front to get maximum speed and rudder upgrades. You need ‘em, might just save your life.

Next, when your in space again, hit the k button twice, so the guns are set to auto-aim. This means that when you line up to shoot someone, the guns will correct for your lousy aiming and a few more shots will actually hit.

The first mission is in the next sector. The Argon military bean counters are so lousy I bet they didn’t even give you a nav map of Argon sectors did they ? *sigh*.

Ok, so....On your nav map (sheesh, press dot), you will see in the list something called the South Gate. The gates are how we navigate between sectors and each one leads to a particular place. Don’t hassle it, you will get the hang of it rapidly.

Down arrow until you have the South Gate highlighted and press ‘t’ to target the gate. Don’t shoot it !

Now hit dot again or escape, and then press the u key to engage your autopilot. The ship will now fly to the gate at maximum speed and will perform the jump through it.

When you come out the other side, you will be in the sector called Home of Light. Your ship will target the Flight Leader of your patrol for you (the one and only time it will do this mind you), so autopilot over to him. When you get close, the mission will start. Just keep following him.

At some point, you will be attacked by Khaak. These will show up as little red dots and the object of the exercise is to kill them before they kill you. As soon as you see them, kill the autopilot and go get ‘em. Good luck pal, your going to need it Smile

Assuming you survive your first mission, you will find yourself in Cloudbase SouthWest.

Dock at the Goner Temple. They have a few things you need. Jumpdrive and transporter are useful items, but you cant afford them now. But remember they are here for later on.

What you do need now is Salvage Insurance. Buy at least 10.

The X universe is a dangerous place full of unseen hazzards and random glitches. You can die in the wink of an eye for no apparent reason. If a pirate mine doesn’t get you, the asteroid belts will. And sad to say, the electronics in your ship are subject to random malfunctions, and about 1 in 50 docking operations will splat your sorry arse into the station instead of parking you.

By the way, never jump into a gate and then engage the autopilot to go back through the same gate without putting in some distance first. It will quite happily splat you against the inside wall of the gate and send your wreckage through the gate instead.

That’s why we save. So you can resurrect yourself and try again. If you don’t save, you start again. If you saved a long time ago, you lose everything you did since then.

So, SAVE OFTEN. Cant emphasize that enough. Every time you do something you don’t want to have to do again, dock. An Autosave happens every time you dock, but these are overwritten every 3 dock/saves. Manual save as well. This gives you a choice of 20 save points to go back to if you really have cocked something up badly and need to go back further than the last save.

As you save, remember to use the next save position or you will keep overwriting the same one. When you get to position 19, go back and overwrite position 1.

When your in space, you can only save if you have Salvage Insurance. There are times when this is essential, so buy some now.

Complete a mission ? Save. Capture another ship ? Save. Survived a particularly nasty situation ? Save. Save every time you change sector, and save yourself the bother of having to redo it sometime. About to take on something tricky ? Save first, do it, then save after.

Determine for yourself how much you are prepared to redo if necessary and save at that point. And for heavens sake save immediately you do something that may not happen again if you have to reload and do it again, especially anything random that happens. You will work these out as you go.

Save Save Save.

Zod
If your under fire do NOT fire missles! Pretty much everything but Mosquito has a blast radius.

Bigger is not always better with guns... A Nova with 8xAIRE's can keep going, and going, and going. If you have ever been cought in a dogfight with 6+ you will appreciate this. Also tends to cause a LOT deaths if they launch missles since they are under a continious rain of fire, see above... Better them then you.

No one seems to mention it but you can swap out guns in combat, not just groups but type, i.e. swap out those cap-matic AIRE's for AHEPT's when you discover that falcon has the dreaded PSG. Unless, of course, your using a joystick...

Nanook
And just what does that have to do with the price of spacefuel in Getsu Fune? I use keyboard, mouse AND joystick, all for different tasks. Besides, you can't manuever your ship with your mouse while in cursor mode anyway. But I can move my joystick with the left hand while clicking with the mouse with my right. So don't be giving those poor newbies false impressions. They have enough to worry about as it is. Smile

moggy2
The best ship in the game is the one you're happiest flying.
If you're a racing driver or fighter pilot in real life, you'll probably do fine in a discoverer. For the rest of us mere mortals something with bigger shields is probably more appropriate.

Jammin1984
I cant figure out how to send one ship to some destination then to leave and control my other ship.

Nanook
Assuming you're not physically in the freighter, here's what you do from inside a station. Choose the 'Station' option from the main icon bar at the bottom. Then choose ships. Both your ships should be listed if they're both docked at the same station. Choose the freighter, then cursor down the menu that pops up to 'Command Console'. There, you'll have all the options to control that ship remotely, depending on the software installed. Even the basic Navigation menu should have sufficient commands for what you need.

You do something similar if the freighter is docked at another station. You just need to access that station's menu system first, and choose 'landed ships' to gain access to yours. If in space, then access your freighter through the sector map list. One final way to access all your ships is to use the Property Menu with the 'r' key.

Just remember, to control your remote ships, you always need to access that ship's 'Command Console'. Good Luck. Smile

Carl Sumner
Or, if you are in space, hit "R" for owned ships and stations. Then select the line with that ship and hit enter, then select Command menu. You can give commands, from anywhere, to any of your ships or stations.

Note that, if you are in a ship and you give it a command and then jump out to go to one of your other ships, the command in the first ship is cancelled and it stops. Transfer first, and then give the command remotely to the first ship. Smile

Tracker001
The flashing lights at the gates; Ya, they are traffic control.
Not that pilots follow the rules. But if you wish to ,at least lower your chances of running into a very large ship when you exit a gate.
Follow the traffic sig's.

Finding that an "Orca" is entering a gate your exiting,
Kind-a lookes like this > <
Evan more fun entering into a nebula sector.

Your useually looking down,checking the >What to do next list < when this happens.

Mazer
if you have a glazed look i say lay off the spacefuel and start killing stuff

Apricotslice
Dont start killing stuff til you know how to stay alive yourself. Nothing worse than seeing a newbie blown to dust because they bit off more than they could chew somewhere they shouldnta gone in a ship they should have done some upgrading to before getting all gungho and triggerhappy.

Btw, if you cant find a gate, follow the ships, they will lead you to it. If you have a jump drive, set a goto point near where you think the gate should be, will pop your ship out of the very gate you are trying to find.

Pilot
How do I set a homebase ? Damn computer wont take one.

Apricotslice
You have to own a station or carrier to set a homebase. For a fighter, either an M1 or a TL. For a freighter, only a station. There is no point in setting a homebase on your personal ship anyway, so dont bother. The homebase is only used by your freighters for station supply and selling, and by fighters for protecting their base.

Pilot
I was looking at new ships, but could not find out any details about them.

Apricotslice
Huh, yeah, confusing that is. You highlight which ship your looking at, and then press the I key. All its specs then pop up.

Pilot
I also noticed at the equipment dock that no cargo extensions were available. Surely they keep plenty of stocks of those on hand ?

Apricotslice
Also confusing. They do have stocks on hand. But if your ship is fully maxed out with cargo space, the sales screen shows that there are no more available instead of telling you your an idiot for not knowing the specs of your own ship !

Pilot
Is the lottery worth entering ? I never seem to win.

Apricotslice
Haha, thats a joke that one. Never heard of anyone winning the BBS lotteries. I think they are scams myself, but never been able to prove it. I have heard there are other lotteries offered by the Modding Community that do pay out however.

Pilot
I saw a UFO on the way over here. Are they worth following ?

Apricotslice
Did you now ? No-one knows who they are or where they go, but following them can be beneficial, as they seem to fly all over, so if you ahvent been all over yet, its one way of getting there. If you have the time to dawdle along doing nothing that is. It'll give you frequent flyer miles I guess. hahaha. Just dont kill one. The Goners do not like it. But no-one knows why.

Pilot
Someone said something about video feeds from satelites. Didnt make any sense at the time.

Nanook
Here's how it works. Deploy an advanced satellite. Then bring up the sector map. Now hit 'k'. This brings up the video feed. It will be at the same scale as the sector map. Using the Home/End keys, you can zoom in and out. And using the numberpad keys, you can move the cursor around, which changes the center of the zoomed video feed. The insert key works to show the vertical as well. This can actually be quite handy when placing factories, because it will show up close and personal how they're oriented before you actually deploy them.

Pilot
Freind of mine has a jumpdrive but it never lets him jump. Any idea what the problem is ? The only time he did get a jump happening, my freind also had trouble getting his wingmen to follow him. Whats the problem there ?

Apricotslice
There are two ways of triggering the jumpdrive. By hotkey, or by the command console. Hotkey activation will jump only your ship. Command console activation will jump your ship and any ship that is protecting it or following it, assuming they have sufficient ecells on board themselves to make the jump.

Jumpdrives use ecells to power them. If your not carrying any, it wont work. So before you go somewhere, make sure you have enough ecells to get you there, AND get you out of there if you jump into a hostile area. Dont jump into a Xenon or Khaak sector without enough ecells to jump out again, unless your planning a quick death for yourself. Some pirate sectors too. Got to be careful, and always plan ahead. Its a nasty universe out there for the unprepared.

Do yourself a favour and dont get advise from your freind.

Are you alright ? You dont look so good.

The newbie pilot's eyes unfocus and he slowly slides off his chair on to the floor.

Apricotslice
Was it something we said ?

The Newbies Guide, Advise from a SpaceBar.
Beta version new guide here :
http://circleofatlantis.com/games/X3/newbie.html

From several recent posts and one guide, I had the idea of putting together a guide that really does tell the newbie player exactly how X3 really is. There are a whole heap of continuously asked questions, or continuously given advise, that never really made it into a guide, that really aught to.

So if your sitting in a bar on The Argon Prime Trading Dock, and a newbie pilot wonders in with a glazed look on their face or outright frustration or fear,.....

What do you really want to go up to them and tell them ?

Eg. Space is BIG, really BIG. You may think its a long way to the next sector, but do you really understand how mind-bogglingly far away the rest of the universe actually is ? Go explore it, as you will never find what you want if you dont.

(Liberally borrowed from HHGTTG) :)

What else do you want to tell newbies ? If we get enough good suggestions, I'll assemble them into a guide. Humour welcome.
Last edited by apricotslice on Fri, 23. Feb 07, 04:11, edited 4 times in total.

Zod

Post by Zod » Wed, 23. Aug 06, 01:16

If your under fire do NOT fire missles! Pretty much everything but Mosquito has a blast radius. :(

Bigger is not always better with guns... A Nova with 8xAIRE's can keep going, and going, and going. If you have ever been cought in a dogfight with 6+ you will appreciate this. Also tends to cause a LOT deaths if they launch missles since they are under a continious rain of fire, see above... Better them then you. :D

No one seems to mention it but you can swap out guns in combat, not just groups but type, i.e. swap out those cap-matic AIRE's for AHEPT's when you discover that falcon has the dreaded PSG. :twisted: Unless, of course, your using a joystick... :shock:

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Wed, 23. Aug 06, 01:21

Zod wrote:.... Unless, of course, your using a joystick... :shock:
And just what does that have to do with the price of spacefuel in Getsu Fune? I use keyboard, mouse AND joystick, all for different tasks. Besides, you can't manuever your ship with your mouse while in cursor mode anyway. But I can move my joystick with the left hand while clicking with the mouse with my right. So don't be giving those poor newbies false impressions. They have enough to worry about as it is. :P :lol:
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

Jon Tetrino
x4

Post by Jon Tetrino » Wed, 23. Aug 06, 01:59

Ah young pilot, so you come in here looking for a drink? No? Oh... new underwear? Right...

...You obviously have just found out how massive this place really is! EH BARKEEP, A COUPLE OF WHISKEYS! Lemme tell ya, if you think its gonna be easy creds out there... You've got learning to do.

Lemme tell ya this, don't go looking for a goal. Goals are things you make in life, you're not handed them on a plate. Don't expect someone to tell you what to do - that is your job.

Also start small - its ok to have a long term goal, but expecting to be able to fly a Destroyer - let alone own one - within days of your first entry from Planetside is rather foolish to put it at best.

You've got to make a name for yourself for that luxury, and even then you need the money to afford it! No, start small. Your path is something you decide.

Pirates are something you should avoid unless your confident enough to start a fight, or at least smart enough to run from one.

If you must start a fight, make it on small groups. Don't go and attack one of those stolen Nova's unless you know what you are doing, and keep your wits about you.

Needless to say its easier to stay safe. From here in Argon Prime, you can make it to Boron and Paranid space in relative safety - beware of the Paranid, they are a cocky race that should be taken down a peg or two.

If you stay legit, Argon and Boron space gives enough opputunities to give a young pilot such as you a good start in life. Remeber, the Argon hate the Paranid, and the Boron hate the Split, so attacking Split ships in boron space is a sure fire way of increasing your rep amongst the Fish, same with taking out those Paranid git's here in the Argon Federation.

I know what you thought when you first left that shipyard - "Christ I'm lost... now where?"

Problem solved, go and explore the Argon sectors, get a bearing on your surroundings - don't go any further east than Elena's Fortune, and even when your there its best to turn back west and head north via the Graveyard (Presidents End if you don't know).

This avoids Pirate space and several problems.

Dont go any further south than Cloudbase South West to begin with either, Paranid space is lying past the south gate there and you will miss the hospitality the Argon and the Goner Temple that is there supply you...

...Boron space, at least that north of here, is safe for trade.

Ah, money, you can't get anywhere in the Universe without it! Best way to earn money legit is to capture pirate ships and sell them off. Of course, your just starting out, so I'd practice on a paranid freighter or two until you get the idea - you can even keep one for your personal trades.

That would be a good plan.

If you turn to more, shall we say... shady routes, there is a Distillery in Herrons Nebula (just one gate north of here!) that sells to the local Trading Station. You can make a good bit of money doing that trade run, but avoid being scanned by the Argon Police, else you will either loose your profit... or your life. They are not picky.

Whatever you do, to begin with making money is a pain in the bastu. But the best way I find to start making it big comes when you can afford your first Frieghter. If you don't want to wait... Demeters are lovely ships... :twisted:

Once you have your TS class frieghter, start doing trade routes - sillicon always sells well in Argon space, as does BoGas, which also sells extremely well with the Fish. Ok, the Boron look more like squids but Fish does them justice.

Once you have enough money in the bank, try entering the world of Mining to begin with, word is there are some mighty fine 'roids in orebelt that are well worth using. Of course these take money to set up, but set it to buy energy high, sell sillicon low with a small profit margin and it'll produce long enough for you to get some more ships to buy and sell for it.

Also don't forget to transfer funds, else it'll be nothing except a 200 megaton Paperweight.

Now, I'm out of whiskey, and I aint buying seconds, I've got an Empire to run.
:lol:

Zod

Post by Zod » Wed, 23. Aug 06, 02:00

There is method to my madness, generally at least. :roll:

Point was that joystick is not required. I will likely get flamed really good for this, but, with no aerodynamics this game plays more like a shooter then a flight sim in terms of movement. Espically given how critical strafe is.

You can still strafe when in cursor mode. I can avoid most fire with this alone. Throw in throttle control and your take little damage. Thus giving me time to swap guns, grouping for guns, missiles, or just manually targeting frame killing PSG ships.

moggy2
x3ap

Post by moggy2 » Wed, 23. Aug 06, 02:00

The best ship in the game is the one you're happiest flying.
If you're a racing driver or fighter pilot in real life, you'll probably do fine in a discoverer. For the rest of us mere mortals something with bigger shields is probably more appropriate.

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Wed, 23. Aug 06, 02:30

Zod wrote:There is method to my madness, generally at least. :roll:

Point was that joystick is not required. I will likely get flamed really good for this, but, with no aerodynamics this game plays more like a shooter then a flight sim in terms of movement. Espically given how critical strafe is.

You can still strafe when in cursor mode. I can avoid most fire with this alone. Throw in throttle control and your take little damage. Thus giving me time to swap guns, grouping for guns, missiles, or just manually targeting frame killing PSG ships.
Not flamed, just corrected. :lol:

In case you didn't know, modern fighters actually do have a small ability to 'strafe'. And in space, using thrusters to maneuver in all three directions while facing ahead is one of the most practical things to do. And a joystick is still the most intuitive means to maneuver in 3D. Mapping strafe commands to the hat switch means a totally hands-on-stick flight experience. FPS's have no lock on using strafe. :P

As for critical, I must confess I don't use strafe much at all. I find a fast ship using a twisting corkscrew maneuver to be at least as effective. I can fly up to and pass a pirate nova head-on while it's futilely emptying its laser bank at me, without taking a single hit. Oftentimes, I'm still in front of him when he runs out of energy, and then he's all mine. I personally find strafe just too slow in X3, and NPC pilots do compensate, meaning you have to be constantly changing directions by mashing keys. Strafe is overblown as a fighting technique, and generally relied upon by less skillful pilots, IMO. :P

My turn to wear flame retardant underwear. :wink: :lol:
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

apricotslice
x4

Post by apricotslice » Wed, 23. Aug 06, 02:36

Nanook wrote:As for critical, I must confess I don't use strafe much at all. I find a fast ship using a twisting corkscrew maneuver to be at least as effective. I can fly up to and pass a pirate nova head-on while it's futilely emptying its laser bank at me, without taking a single hit.
Exactly. :)

But I found this was more effective in WC combat engine than X.

My preference is for a fast and menouverable ship, but I need sheilds as well to compensate for lack of combat skills now.

apricotslice
x4

Post by apricotslice » Wed, 23. Aug 06, 02:41

http://forum2.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=151134

Good newbie question and advise here.

Zod

Post by Zod » Wed, 23. Aug 06, 03:05

This is one of the things I do so like about this game. There are several ways to do about everything. Just a matter of taking the time to experiment and find what is the most fun for you. :) Trade, combat, exploration, or just crusing around checking the sights out. All this game lacks is assorted backdrops from Hubble.

Tracker001
x3tc

Post by Tracker001 » Wed, 23. Aug 06, 03:07

To noobie:
The flashing lights at the gates; Ya, they are traffic
control.
Not that pilots follow the rules. But if you
wish to ,at least lower your chances of running
into a very large ship when you exit a gate.
Follow the traffic sig's.

Finding that an "Orca" is entering a gate your exiting,
Kind-a lookes like this > :o <
Evan more fun entering into a nebula sector.

Your useually looking down,checking the >What to do
next list < when this happens. :roll:

Wizlawz
x3

Post by Wizlawz » Wed, 23. Aug 06, 03:08

Can we go onlin eyet? if so...How???

apricotslice
x4

Post by apricotslice » Wed, 23. Aug 06, 03:13

Wizlawz wrote:Can we go onlin eyet? if so...How???
Errr... online ? If you mean an online version of X3, no. Its little more than a proposal with projected dates of years to decades away.

Mazer
x3

Post by Mazer » Wed, 23. Aug 06, 03:32

if you have a glazed look i say lay off the spacefuel and start killing stuff
You know you have had enough when you dock at a pirate base and toss a couple bucks at the monitor...

Mazer

apricotslice
x4

Post by apricotslice » Wed, 23. Aug 06, 04:04

Ok, now we are cooking.

Beta version new guide here :
http://circleofatlantis.com/games/X3/newbie.html

Tracker001
x3tc

Post by Tracker001 » Wed, 23. Aug 06, 04:45

Should I buy statilites to deploy as I explore ?

If so , which one. The basic Navagation Satilite.
Or that fancy Advanced Satilite ?

How should I place them ?
On the ecliptic plane. Or some distance above or
below ?

I heard that there is a piece of equipment called an
"Ecliptic Projector". Do I need one. And what are
they good for?

apricotslice
x4

Post by apricotslice » Wed, 23. Aug 06, 04:55

Tracker001 wrote:Should I buy statilites to deploy as I explore ?

If so ,how should I place them ?
On the ecliptic plane. Or some distance above or
below ?
Its a good idea. Removes what they call the fog of war. To some extent. Some sectors will require more than one to cover all the area between the gates.

never put them in the middle of a spacelane. They will get run over. About 15km +/- on the xy plane is best.

you will lose some to enemies.
I heard that there is a piece of equipment called an
"Ecliptic Projector". Do I need one. And what are
they good for?
Never used one myself. It puts a nice grid on the screen that looks silly, is all. But some use them to align complex construction in a single plane.

Tracker001
x3tc

Post by Tracker001 » Thu, 24. Aug 06, 00:47

Since you can't see what a ship will hold as far
as guns and missils are consernd. Including shields.

At the shipyard
before you buy it.

What is a good way to find this out? (In Game)

Jon Tetrino
x4

Post by Jon Tetrino » Thu, 24. Aug 06, 00:50

Tracker001 wrote:Since you can't see what a ship will hold as far
as guns and missils are consernd. Including shields.

At the shipyard
before you buy it.

What is a good way to find this out? (In Game)
Yes you can, press 'I' over your ship selection to gets its stats page.

IAmMarauder
x4

Post by IAmMarauder » Thu, 24. Aug 06, 05:37

I've put this in spoiler tags, just in case...
Spoiler
Show
What was that? You'll buy me a drink for some advice? Mate, leave me the bottle and I'll give you some juicy stuff.

Oh, that Argon Whisky is all mine? How appropriate.

So, you've found a Space Fuel Distillery in Herron's Nebula, but are having troubles with the trading Station filling up? Well, then its a good thing there are some Pirate Bases real close by (as for where they are, well that one you'll have to find out yerself).

But once ya found them, you'll have plenty of places to sell Space Fuel to. May be a bit of travel time though, so be on the lookup for customs.

Oh, another bottle of whiskey? Why sir, you are too kind...

Well, hows this for some advice... Get yerself a second ship. Something quick and cheap. A Disco will do the job. Shell out some creds to upgrade the cargo bay and speed. Max 'em both. Just leave yerself a bit for purchasing. Now send yer Disco to the Distillery, and grab as much as you can. Don't worry too much about the price, but cheaper is better.

Now if you got it real cheap, sell it at the Trading Station and get back quick. Wanna grab some more while the prices are low. If it was a bit higher (around the 4 digit mark), send it off to a Pirate Base for sale. Lets the Distillery make some more while yer gone.

And just repeat as needed. Just remember to keep an eye on them in case them Pirates ain't in a friendly mood. Although the Disco should be quick enough to get away. And keep an eye on the E-Cells for the Distillery as well. You can a few extra creds hauling a handful of cells back with ya (or make a bit more by sending your TS there with a full bay).

Hope that helps ya mate. Now excuse me, I've got a deadline to keep...

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”