There is an abandoned ship... *spoiler*

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Tarondor
x3

There is an abandoned ship... *spoiler*

Post by Tarondor » Mon, 3. Jul 06, 22:49

But it is surrounded by SQUASH mines. How can I disarm the mines to claim the Mamba?

Thanks for the help!

{Spoiler warning added and topic title amended - have some consideration for those that want to discover things for themselves - esd}

Etolf
x3tc

Post by Etolf » Mon, 3. Jul 06, 22:51

you dont, but try thinking in 3D, :P

sentinelk92
x4

Re: There is an abandoned Mamba Raider in Loomanstrakt's Legacy

Post by sentinelk92 » Mon, 3. Jul 06, 22:52

Tarondor wrote:But it is surrounded by SQUASH mines. How can I disarm the mines to claim the Mamba?

Thanks for the help!
Watch out when posting spoilers.... People don't like it :)

Diesel309
x3

Post by Diesel309 » Mon, 3. Jul 06, 23:05

Spoiler
Show
Get to it from above or below, but you still need to be careful. I would suggest buying some saves from the Goners first.

Paajtor
x3

Post by Paajtor » Tue, 4. Jul 06, 00:14

Getting that free MambaRaider can be easier than it sometimes seems, but it depends how how your game "reloads"...

I had a few tries...one early in my game, in my starting-Buster, but I withdrew quickly after seeing all those pirates coming towards me...and another attempt in a NovaRaider, which failed because I didn't order the Mamba to follow me downwards first, so instead it headed straight towards the N-gate, and hit one of the mines (my plan was to hold the Pirates off in my Nova, so that the Mamba would have a safe journey to N-gate, and then use the jumpdrive to leave myself).

The last time I succeeded, but only after 1 reload...which was a bit weird:

1st try, I went in in a Centaur (8xBHEPT, 3xMD in turrets, Wasp-missiles, + a few hundred fighter-drones), but crashed into an asteroid :oops:
So I reloaded, went through the gate, and started heading towards right beneath the Mamba.
I only had to get within 5km range, because I had SystemOverrideSoftware MK2 installed (it can be scripted into the game, but comes with a hefty pricetag).
But to my surprise, NO pirates seemed to notice me in that area this time! No dozens of pirate-wings, all changing their direction towards me...nothing. They just kept on doing their thing.
And so I claimed the ship, took it down a little, and send her off back home. Absolutely no reaction from the enemy's side. :gruebel:

So this time, it was an easy catch...but I was kinda disappointed still, because I was looking forward to face them in this Centaur I brought up.
I can easily buy a Mamba if I want, but I just liked the challenge of pulling this one off, so...I went deeper into the sector, and finally got their attention.
I completely demolished the 1st wave of attackers, with 2 of my BHEPTS (to keep laser-energy level always up) and Wasps on the faster targets.
Great thing about this Centaur-loadout is, that you can keep 2 MD-turrets facing them, while you can continue firing Wasps at whatever you select around you.

Realizing this could go on forever, I jumped out and saved...but just for fun, I went back in and this time I also launched 50 drones, and told them to protect me.
Man, that was a sight to behold! :o :D
Imagine this - imo great looking - M6 with 2 blazing big guns, buzzing from all sides with turret-fire, wasps screaming everywhere, inside a clould of drones...nothing could touch it, LOL. :mrgreen:

Yes, that was fun...sorry for the long post, got carried away again. :wink:

Diesel309
x3

Post by Diesel309 » Tue, 4. Jul 06, 01:21

You really like doing it the hard way Paajtor :lol: .
Spoiler
Show
I did it in my buster early in the game. Save at the station nearest the south gate in the sector above Loomancks. Fly through to Loomancks make sure you are not seen by the pirates, head directly west for a while until out of scanner range. Now get within 5 KM of the Mamba and try and get all of the mines scanned. Then get within 1.5k of the mamba and space walk, when you get there claim it and head down 10 KM (I know down is relative but you know what I mean). Send the other ship home and fly that mamba out of there
May take a few saves but it is more useful early in the game

Paajtor
x3

Post by Paajtor » Tue, 4. Jul 06, 01:39

Diesel309 wrote:You really like doing it the hard way Paajtor :lol: .
Yeah, I know :D But I hadn't visited LooManck for a long, long time, and so I decided to use it as a test-ground for that Centaur-setup.
I also know that my post hardly has any good tips for Tarondor right now.

But as you can see, the sector's looks vary from save to save, and so from game to game I guess.

Orion1632
x4

Post by Orion1632 » Tue, 4. Jul 06, 05:15

I flew in very carefully in my Centaur, scanned for all the mines, made sure I didn't hit any, then claimed the ship, transported over the jump drive and got the Mamba to jump out. Then I could merrily shoot the squash mines.

Space Tycoon

Post by Space Tycoon » Tue, 4. Jul 06, 10:09

Got it the first go. I used a discoverer raider and got the autopilot to take me straight underneath Mamba, then manually flew up. I then ejecteded, claimed the ship, got back into the discoverer, transferred the jump drive, nav command and energy cells to it, and ordered it to jump, just as the enemy closing horn went off. I engaged the auotpilot again and had it take me some way straight down. About a second after the jump flash disappeared in the rear mirror there was this KABOOOM! behind me - no more pirates, and not a shot fired. :)

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Tue, 4. Jul 06, 11:10

Can I perhaps remind you guys about SPOILER TAGS!

Come on now, not everyone wants to know this stuff.
If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. ... Niccolò Machiavelli

NeverSnake
x3tc

Post by NeverSnake » Tue, 4. Jul 06, 16:27

Now the topic has a spoiling warning they're not really needed in the thread.

The mamba isn't alone in the universe, others may be easier to claim and better.
"There's an old story about the person who wished his computer were as easy to use as his telephone. That wish has come true, since I no longer know how to use my telephone" — Bjarne Stroustrup

esd
x3tc

Post by esd » Tue, 4. Jul 06, 16:31

mrbadger wrote:Can I perhaps remind you guys about SPOILER TAGS!

Come on now, not everyone wants to know this stuff.
Then read the thread title before clicking it :roll:
esd's Guides: X² Loops - X³ MORTs

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”