X4 Massively Multiplayer

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Beafly
x3

Post by Beafly » Fri, 30. Jun 06, 20:13

I'll start by saying that I'm an Everquest addict at heart and that I've only recently discovered the X universe. X3 is at best a diversion for me at the moment, but only because in single player form, it doesn't offer the social interaction that a MMORPG has to offer. Opening X up to multiplayer LAN type gaming and even an internet sized game would be nothing short of spectacular. The X universe just begs for it.

Some of the challenges above are noted, but every one of them has been dealt with in some form or another already by currently active MMORPGs. I'm realatively new here and havn't read all the other threads to know for sure, but I'm sure something like this is already being worked on.

TBV
x3tc

Post by TBV » Fri, 30. Jun 06, 20:46

Regarding newbie bashing.
X3 is reputation based. If you lose rep fast for firing on newbies without
a damn good reason, it may not be a problem.
same goes for anything left unattended while a player is offline, up to
a time-limit.

And perhaps also an AI controlled Terran ship that pays you a visit
if your rep gets too low.

Just a thought

(Beer philosophy)

Deleted User

Post by Deleted User » Fri, 30. Jun 06, 22:34

well, I don't like the idea of MMO X at all.. why? lol we have PLENTY of MMO games atm - and only ONE good global offline sim serie (eg X)!!

Only thing I'd like is generic, eg up to 32 players probably, MP in X4 - just to be able to play good old X, with saves etc - but with some friends as wingmen instead of AI.. It's more fun to build your uberempire together lol :D

fiksal
x4

Post by fiksal » Fri, 30. Jun 06, 22:37

TheBypasser wrote:well, I don't like the idea of MMO X at all.. why? lol we have PLENTY of MMO games atm - and only ONE good global offline sim serie (eg X)!!

Only thing I'd like is generic, eg up to 32 players probably, MP in X4 - just to be able to play good old X, with saves etc - but with some friends as wingmen instead of AI.. It's more fun to build your uberempire together lol :D
That's exactly what I said too. Hopefully there will be an expansion to X3...or X4 with multiplayer.

P.S. Priwet iz Sibiri... t.e. ot sibiriaka :lol:
Gimli wrote:Let the Orcs come as thick as summer-moths round a candle!

Deleted User

Post by Deleted User » Fri, 30. Jun 06, 23:00

fiksal wrote:
TheBypasser wrote:well, I don't like the idea of MMO X at all.. why? lol we have PLENTY of MMO games atm - and only ONE good global offline sim serie (eg X)!!

That's exactly what I said too. Hopefully there will be an expansion to X3...or X4 with multiplayer.
sry - I haven't read the whole thread..
fiksal wrote:P.S. Priwet iz Sibiri... t.e. ot sibiriaka :lol:
\m/ hehe cool!

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by Cycrow » Sat, 1. Jul 06, 00:13

ObiDom wrote:Here my tuppence worth

For this to work as an MMORPG it would need a radical rethink of how certain things worked

For exapmle there would have to be a removal of ST and UT to remove the automation of money collection

You could only own one ship, that being the one you are flying but you could purchase more and have them stored some where, Only the vessel you actually fly would be used so no OOS play

Stations etc would work but lets face it you would end up spending most of you time defending it as it would be destroyed

I think it would end up as a cross between EVE and Elite

Maybe once Star Trek Online has been released and seeing how they will work it you could have groups of players running one ship

However having said that i much prefer X as a Solo game
so basially, to make it an online game u remove everything that makes it good :P

fiksal
x4

Post by fiksal » Sat, 1. Jul 06, 07:24

ObiDom wrote: For this to work as an MMORPG it would need a radical rethink of how certain things worked

For exapmle there would have to be a removal of ST and UT to remove the automation of money collection

You could only own one ship, that being the one you are flying but you could purchase more and have them stored some where, Only the vessel you actually fly would be used so no OOS play

Stations etc would work but lets face it you would end up spending most of you time defending it as it would be destroyed

I think it would end up as a cross between EVE and Elite

Maybe once Star Trek Online has been released and seeing how they will work it you could have groups of players running one ship

However having said that i much prefer X as a Solo game
Oh definetly, the game as it is right now is not for MMO.
But you just CANT make it like EVE or anything like that, it would be a crime.
Unless the game is cut down to a portion of space with the portion of the current game and with the focus on something more specific - I dont think certain things should be ommited from the game.

For example.

You gotta have UTs and STs - I am a pirate - I dont trade. But I would like to hire someone else to do that for me.

NO, NO and NO - about owning one ship. I capture a ship - I want it to be useful. And if it cant fly right away (like in X3) - fine - I'll want to hire a pilot then.

YEP, so do I. This game great as it is right now.
Just a little bit of multiplayer would be nice :)

Mobuj
x3tc

Post by Mobuj » Sat, 1. Jul 06, 07:27

Why don't the moderators make a sticky about mmo. Then the newbies or non players can see how it aint happening. Except perhaps with a small group of friends. X games are inheintly single player only, there are other mmo space simes for those who like that (count me out). :rant:

If I want mmo then I would go and get one already available! Period!

* Edit Spelling *
---------------------------
I am Popeye of Borg
You will be askimilated!

Paul2724
x4

Post by Paul2724 » Sat, 1. Jul 06, 16:20

You're not the same shadow9 who plays eve are u?

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Sat, 1. Jul 06, 22:24

Mobuj wrote:Why don't the moderators make a sticky about mmo. Then the newbies or non players can see how it aint happening.
Lovely idea, if anyone in the history of the internet EVER had actually read a sticky. Since they don't...

Sc00by
x4

Post by Sc00by » Sat, 1. Jul 06, 23:23

Personally I think, if there was to be a multi player option the best way would be similar to how Freelancer works. I'm not talking about the game itself but how single \ multi player works

For anyone that has not played Freelancer, you basically have 2 choices. Single player, well nothing more need be said there.

Multiplayer, connect to anyone who has a server running. This may be somone you know or a server that is hosted somewhere. If you want you can run your own server, specify how many players can play at any time and if you wnt you can assign passwords to restrict access. Can run as internet or LAN so the choice is yours. If there was these options in a future version of X I think it would be a major step in the right direction.

merczephyr
x3tc

Post by merczephyr » Sun, 2. Jul 06, 03:53

Or an MMO could be run like Guild Wars. The only place you see other people that are not in your party is in the towns/trading posts, or in this case Space Stations. When you go on a mission or quest and leave a town it's like a single player game.

But for X, that would eefectively kill having a fleet of ships doing your trading, or owning your own station.

fiksal
x4

Post by fiksal » Sun, 2. Jul 06, 05:37

pjknibbs wrote: Lovely idea, if anyone in the history of the internet EVER had actually read a sticky. Since they don't...
You have no faith in the mankind! :wink:
I am proud to annouce that I read 8) ... well some of them

Zue
x3tc

Post by Zue » Sun, 2. Jul 06, 07:21

heys

I would settle for a simple ingame chat client (online).. so that I could chat with my friends ingame while playing. none of the alt/tab or windowed IM stuff.

wouldnt be too difficult.

you probably would have to design a full game for multiplayer aspects.

just me
d

fiksal
x4

Post by fiksal » Sun, 2. Jul 06, 21:12

Zue wrote:heys

I would settle for a simple ingame chat client (online).. so that I could chat with my friends ingame while playing. none of the alt/tab or windowed IM stuff.

wouldnt be too difficult.

you probably would have to design a full game for multiplayer aspects.

just me
d

Actually, not so long ago there was a thread about that exact thing.
Some software that you install, lets you chat right from X3, and some other games. I might have a link saved somewhere...

Zue
x3tc

Post by Zue » Mon, 3. Jul 06, 04:49

jup.

might be XFire.. but then again maybe not. Third party I suppose is the only way atm. Though having something specific to the game would be nicer.

Its not that its absolutely necessary.. but it would be cool to share knowlege or experience while ingame. Would also unite the community a little better.. always a plus

meh
Z

Syndrome
x3tc

Post by Syndrome » Mon, 3. Jul 06, 10:20

I made a post exactly like this one a couple of months ago. The truth is, all X players have different views about it. I think it would be good, but like I'm told in Eve, there definitely should be a large police force. Mainly consisting of NPCs but if they wanted to players could participate as well. I'm sure Ego would think of somthing to make up for the lack of SETA. I'm a very slow starter myself, even though I know the X games interface and gameplay inside and out. The monthly fee should be very cheap like 2 Pounds/5 Australian Dollars/3 American Dollars/7 New Zealand Dollars. With so many players playing at once the small cost would be more than enough to make up for the cost of the server.

An Online server would make the game alot more fun. However if the player didnt' like this option, then the Single Player mode should still be available.

dirtbag
x4

Post by dirtbag » Mon, 3. Jul 06, 10:21

it is xfire. They recently fixed support for X3 ;)
on FACTS site there's a guide for it ;)

As for me,
up to 16 player by i-net or LAN would be great. If you want to make it MMO, you have to change quite alot of stuff :(

X-universe is great, but MMO would waste it. As my concept, I have thought about it. It absolutely doesn't fit here, and would waste the X-universe. Anyways, if X4 even hasn't got MP, I will buy it, but with MP, it would be fantastic.

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by Cycrow » Mon, 3. Jul 06, 16:21

Syndrome wrote:The monthly fee should be very cheap like 2 Pounds/5 Australian Dollars/3 American Dollars/7 New Zealand Dollars. With so many players playing at once the small cost would be more than enough to make up for the cost of the server.
theres one major problem with that, first that'll only work if you can get a large number of ppl.
putting it cheap and expecting to get a certain number of ppl and when it doesn't happen, you will lose alot of money.

and also, the monthly fee usually isn't for the server costs, its for the bandwidth costs, which increase for each person that players, so the more ppl playing, the more bandwidth required, and the more it costs

Paul2724
x4

Post by Paul2724 » Mon, 3. Jul 06, 16:35

An MMO based in the X-Universe would have the potential to rock hard.....

It would of course have to be a completely different game - the current universe simply doesn't have enough space for an MMO and the whole economy would need a complete redesign (along with 234753287 other things that would have to change).

I know the devs have talked about this in the past and I really do hope they get it off the ground one day. Would be nice to have a second space based MMO out there to play......

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”