X4 Massively Multiplayer

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Shadow_9
x3

X4 Massively Multiplayer

Post by Shadow_9 » Thu, 29. Jun 06, 20:40

What are some thoughts about a sequel to X3 being a massively online multiplayer game? I think that it would add a lot more realism and then you could fly through the X-universe with your buddies! Get into dogfights with other players and player factions. Mabye you could even go into staions or ships and chat eith other players. What does everyone think of this? Do you think it would make the X series better or do you think it would change the feel of the X series? :?

trebuchet127
x3

Post by trebuchet127 » Thu, 29. Jun 06, 20:43

There have been thoughts on this for a long long while now.

check out the devnet forums if you can.

No further developments as far as the site shows but yeah... a good 4 years in i believe?

I think that if it were on free servers and regulated by game masters from all over the world, then it could be a fairly great game. P2P is something that really needs to be refined in order for me to buy into the monthly fee.

Carl Sumner
x4

Post by Carl Sumner » Thu, 29. Jun 06, 20:48

See the previous threads...

It would have some problems but they might be solved with the right design. 8)

But SETA would be impossible. :wink:
Tinker

"If engineers built buildings the way programmers write programs, the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization!"

the beans
x3

Post by the beans » Thu, 29. Jun 06, 20:49

I would prefer it stay a 1 player game seeing that I have Dial-up.
The Doors
Rage Against The Machine
Pink Floyd
Neil Young

UlteriorModem
x3

Post by UlteriorModem » Thu, 29. Jun 06, 21:42

the beans wrote:I would prefer it stay a 1 player game seeing that I have Dial-up.
I prefer single player as then I dont have to deal with cheats, hacks, and punks.

fiksal
x4

Post by fiksal » Thu, 29. Jun 06, 23:10

UlteriorModem wrote:
the beans wrote:I would prefer it stay a 1 player game seeing that I have Dial-up.
I prefer single player as then I dont have to deal with cheats, hacks, and punks.

MM would be interesting, but it's likely that I wouldnt played it either...
On the other hand if there would be a multiplayer option - I'd be interested in it...
Start a game, either fresh, or load up your own save. Wait for your buddies to connect and perhaps go start the war with Xenon...

Not everything needs to be MM...

Just throwing it out there :)
Gimli wrote:Let the Orcs come as thick as summer-moths round a candle!

Risky
xr

Post by Risky » Thu, 29. Jun 06, 23:38

Maybe someone can script up a multiplayer simulation....... everytime you go trough a gate there's a 50% chance you get attacked by 100 ships all comming you with insults in l33t-speak, an if you actually kill ony of them, they clain you're running a cheat.

busby1968
x3

Post by busby1968 » Thu, 29. Jun 06, 23:50

I hope there make some comspect for newbies. Otherwise it be like annoying with people flying around in M6's killing people in M5's. Hope you can start as a tedilia/spilt/argon/boron or pariond. Ill think ill be a pariond.

Jon Tetrino
x4

Post by Jon Tetrino » Fri, 30. Jun 06, 00:00

Risky wrote:Maybe someone can script up a multiplayer simulation....... everytime you go trough a gate there's a 50% chance you get attacked by 100 ships all comming you with insults in l33t-speak, an if you actually kill ony of them, they clain you're running a cheat.
lol, that would kick ass, simply cause I would show them a thing or two about Theo's Luck ;)

Alek Rudstrom
x3

Post by Alek Rudstrom » Fri, 30. Jun 06, 00:04

but think about it, when poeple wanted to stop playing what would happen how would the game work then?How could a factory or traders you own work when your sleeping? And no SETA!!!!?

fiksal
x4

Post by fiksal » Fri, 30. Jun 06, 00:11

Alek Rudstrom wrote:but think about it, when poeple wanted to stop playing what would happen how would the game work then?How could a factory or traders you own work when your sleeping? And no SETA!!!!?
That's why multiplayer option as opposed to online world would work better with the current game.
All the people who are playing with you - are basically your buddies. Supposedly you'd all be doing something similiar together - otherwise what's the point of playing together. Thus if all players activate SETA then SETA turns on for all...
And when everybody logs off, the last person can shut down / stop the game... just like now.
Risky wrote:Maybe someone can script up a multiplayer simulation.......
"Script a multiplayer simulation"? There's no network code, or so I was told.
Gimli wrote:Let the Orcs come as thick as summer-moths round a candle!

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Fri, 30. Jun 06, 00:57

The whole reason I like X3 is that I'm the main focus of the game. I need not consider other players in my plans.

The amount of camping, n00b killing and general unfair treatment of new players in Eve tells me that a sandbox online X game would be awful. People would just camp the gates.

And forget going anywhere without loads of weapons.

It would be a bit bad I reckon.
If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. ... Niccolò Machiavelli

Penfold153
x3

Post by Penfold153 » Fri, 30. Jun 06, 01:58

look i dont mind there being mms X game i just dont wonna be left out like with WoW i was a great fan of the pre-mms warcraft games but i cant play because i cant afford the monthly fee's and i'm not buying a game for £30 that i can only play for a month,

there should be a single player in with it so we have a choice to play mms or single player.

and i think your far more likely to get a LAN type of online gameing for X because egosoft has not got that kinda money.

penfold

nNemethon
x3ap

Post by nNemethon » Fri, 30. Jun 06, 02:16

UlteriorModem wrote:
mr badger wrote:The whole reason I like X3 is that I'm the main focus of the game. I need not consider other players in my plans.

The amount of camping, n00b killing and general unfair treatment of new players in Eve tells me that a sandbox online X game would be awful. People would just camp the gates.

And forget going anywhere without loads of weapons.

It would be a bit bad I reckon
I play a lot of Diablo2 LoD online and hacks/cheats/bots etc. are rife in the game. Each time the devolpers patch out another one, it only takes a few days for a modified version of a hack to pop up. It seriously unbalances the game and then you get people 'camping' at waypoints, like eve-online, or just using a hack to kill you off.

It is an appealing idea for mm or just online with limited players in a universe but the last thing I need is for some clod to come along with an m2 and kill me off under a white flag so to speak. But, there's merits to all ideas and it just needs good thinking-out.
"Although that question is less stupid, it was asked in a profoundly stupid manner." - Prof Farnesworth
----------
A diff signature every few months (not guaranteed, warranteed or warranted) ;)

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by Cycrow » Fri, 30. Jun 06, 02:23

fiksal wrote:
Risky wrote:Maybe someone can script up a multiplayer simulation.......
"Script a multiplayer simulation"? There's no network code, or so I was told.
i think he ment simulating an online game by creating aload of ships to attack you, not to actaual script in multiple code.

personally i would prefer it to be a single player game rather than an online game.

i wouldn't mind a lan connection for a few ppl thou.

i really dont think the current game would as an online game and it would have to be pay monthly.

if you have a 1000 ppl trying to build thier own empires, each with 100 stations and 200 ships.

then ur talking 100'000 stations and 200'000 ships within the world and no way of fitting it in the current universe.

alot of computers struggle now to process the ships and sector there are, increasing the size is only going to make it slower and bandwidth heavy

OMEGA99
x3

Post by OMEGA99 » Fri, 30. Jun 06, 02:50

Well, most people wouldn't have the chance to have hunreds of ships and stations as they would get killed by other players. I would want 3 options in X4: a normal npc controlled universe, as in X3, a Lan universe that was a modification of the npc one, and a HUGE multiplayer universe. It would need at least maybe 500 or so sectors though.
Violence is ALWAYS the answer!:twisted:

Thera
x3

Post by Thera » Fri, 30. Jun 06, 02:52

I think a system similar to Neverwinter nights in which the server operators maintain maps and a set player limit's. BBS missions are similar to quests in that you recieve a payment instead of a chest to open.

I would like the ability to have 8 or 16 player multiplayers hosted as a persistant galaxy(By a Game Service Provider/ISP), where if you aren't active for 7 day's the appropriate government fore-closes on your assets, by either auctioning off your stations, and scrapping your ships. or by just scrapping the lot. There could be a set tax inplace which taxes a set% off all your stations profits whilst you are not ingame(Goods and Services Tax). Or When you are "Killed". Salvage insurance could be renamed to Life Insurance. And supplied by the Goner Cloning Laboratories. So it would pay to keep that spare ship at the Goner temple. I would also assume An Idle kick to would need to be implemented to stop people from skulking around way out of sector so as not to be taxed.

i.e.
BBS Notice "C" company was forclosed today, due to declining trade oppertunities, and Failure to pay Sector Taxes.

As for Cheating, That is mainly prevelant in Highly populated online games. And for something Like X-Online a consistency check would probably have to be enabled, thus disabling any modifications to the catalogue files, and prevent Mod's/non default scripts being run on the client in online games. Though mod's and script's could be set on the server to be downloaded into a seperate directory [i.e. online/servername/scripts... online/servername/mods] and enabled on the server side. If you fail consistency checks you don't get in.

On another note... Has egosoft considered selling through a platform like steam or it's ilk?

Shadow_9
x3

Post by Shadow_9 » Fri, 30. Jun 06, 05:26

I feel as though i've gotten an answer from all of you about the feelings of a multiplayer X game and to be honest I agree with the idea of being able to have mabye 16 max players. this could allow you to play with your friends and create a more in depth game to play but not have to worry about cheaters and hackers etc. I think a normal version wioth a storyline would be great too!

The Shadow Wolf
x3

Post by The Shadow Wolf » Fri, 30. Jun 06, 18:37

They could do it like in Guild Wars where the stations are where players can meet and chat and when you leave you enter your own instance of the universe. Perhaps as the story progresses, like in GW, you can fly with more people and have more AI ships in your empire and/or with research you could unlock new logistics methods to control more ships and stations, like in Galactic Civilisations 2.
Afraid! You don't know the meaning of the word!!!

ObiDom

Post by ObiDom » Fri, 30. Jun 06, 18:55

Here my tuppence worth

For this to work as an MMORPG it would need a radical rethink of how certain things worked

For exapmle there would have to be a removal of ST and UT to remove the automation of money collection

You could only own one ship, that being the one you are flying but you could purchase more and have them stored some where, Only the vessel you actually fly would be used so no OOS play

Stations etc would work but lets face it you would end up spending most of you time defending it as it would be destroyed

I think it would end up as a cross between EVE and Elite

Maybe once Star Trek Online has been released and seeing how they will work it you could have groups of players running one ship

However having said that i much prefer X as a Solo game

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”